• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

where do you see the OS market share for PC gaming in the next 10 years?

Where do you see the OS market share for PC gaming in the coming decade?

• MacOS takes over

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ReBurn

Gold Member

Its already publicly released.
I dont know who their OEM partners are right now, they had atleast 15 partners last I checked, but im sure manufacturers like AyaNeo could easily contact Valve to redist Steam (thats the part of the licensing agreement).

So the only thing really stopping SteamOS on smaller devices and SteamBoxes is will of manufacturers and consumers.
SteamBoxes failed quite badly, but maybe handhelds make a bigger dent.

Apple Silicon is already plenty powerful and their MetalFX is actually pretty damn good.
The issue is devs actually porting games to Apple Silicon and Apple users actually bothering to buy those games.
After Apple Silicon dropped the percentage gained for OSX gamers was less than 1%.

Metal-Perf.jpg

Apple is unlikely to gain much and devs are highly unlikely to bother porting to ARM64 based machines.....maybe Switch and Super Switch ports?
Unreal Engine 5.2 released with native Apple silicon support just a couple of days ago. That will make porting UE 5 games to MacOS more practical, anyway.

Compatibility layers like Proton won't make Linux more attractive to PC gamers as long as the game is built for Windows because there's always going to be sacrifices. Performance will be lost somewhere in the translation. Why install SteamOS on your gaming PC and limit yourself to playing games built for Windows when you can just install Windows? The only reason I can think of is that someone might not want to pay for a copy of Windows, but you can still game on Windows without activating it. It makes more sense on a gaming handheld than a desktop for sure.

Wildebeest

Microsoft would really have to mess up to lose the advantage they get with familiarity and compatibility with people's game collections.

Topher

Gold Member
Unreal Engine 5.2 released with native Apple silicon support just a couple of days ago. That will make porting UE 5 games to MacOS more practical, anyway.

Compatibility layers like Proton won't make Linux more attractive to PC gamers as long as the game is built for Windows because there's always going to be sacrifices. Performance will be lost somewhere in the translation. Why install SteamOS on your gaming PC and limit yourself to playing games built for Windows when you can just install Windows? The only reason I can think of is that someone might not want to pay for a copy of Windows, but you can still game on Windows without activating it. It makes more sense on a gaming handheld than a desktop for sure.

That's why adoption of Steam OS at the manufacturer level is key. Most consumers are not going to replace Windows with Linux especially with specialized devices like this where Steam OS may or may not recognize the hardware. ETA Prime is supposedly going to be trying out Steam OS on Rog Ally so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Microsoft would really have to mess up to lose the advantage they get with familiarity and compatibility with people's game collections.
That is always on the cards. Valve isn't trying to replace Windows, Valve is leaving an option open so they wouldn't be caught unawares if Microsoft went hostile and decided Steam shouldn't be allowed on Windows.

By having an escape plan, it stops MS from having funny ideas. Gabe worked for Microsoft, he knows how those guys operate.

BlackTron

Steamdeck is helping Linux do to Windows what Game Gear did to Game Boy, before it was a gnat now it's upgraded to a fly

Beechos

Microsoft survived the disaster that's windows 8. When companies are this entrenched it takes a historic fuck up to lose the market lead. Nobody is overtaking sony, apple, google etc anytime soon. This is why ms is pushing xcloud they want to have a stranglehold on an emerging market.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's why adoption of Steam OS at the manufacturer level is key. Most consumers are not going to replace Windows with Linux especially with specialized devices like this where Steam OS may or may not recognize the hardware. ETA Prime is supposedly going to be trying out Steam OS on Rog Ally so it will be interesting to see how that goes.
The problem I see with SteamOS is that when it comes to PC you give up more than you gain unless literally all you do is play games. It's definitely better suited for handheld gaming PC's since that's likely all most people will use one for.

Topher

Gold Member
The problem I see with SteamOS is that when it comes to PC you give up more than you gain unless literally all you do is play games. It's definitely better suited for handheld gaming PC's since that's likely all most people will use one for.

Sure and this is strictly from a gaming perspective. People who rely on their PC for productivity as well as gaming are not going to bother with Linux at all. That's why Windows will always be the dominant OS as most people do use their PCs for things outside of gaming. Personally, I have a work laptop so I'd love for Windows to have a version optimized for gaming. Frankly, I think Microsoft takes their position in PC gaming for granted. If Valve really wanted to they could make some significant gains among PC gaming enthusiasts. And I hope that happens as Microsoft needs some real competition in PC gaming on the operating system level even if they lost at the store level a long time ago.

Dream-Knife

Banned
No chance mac takes over. Mac ecosystem is basically an expensive console, which is the opposite of PCs openness. Gaming performance on the M1s and 2s isn't good either, for the handful of games they can play.

I do hope linux takes over.

Most people in here are forgetting steamOS is arch. You can do pretty much everything on arch.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I remember 20, 19, 18, ....10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2 years ago when Linux was clearly on the brink to take over the home desktop and laptop world. Groundhog Day anyone..

Disclaimer: Been working professionally with Linux backend systems for years.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I remember 20, 19, 18, ....10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2 years ago when Linux was clearly on the brink to take over the home desktop and laptop world. Groundhog Day anyone..

Disclaimer: Been working professionally with Linux backend systems for years.
in 2001 people didnt have any reason to switch from windows xp

2023 and windows 11.... ehhhhhh. Windows 12 seems to be doubling down on the new direction which people won't like. It'll be the first time that Microsoft breaks the good/bad cycle for the worse

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

2023 and windows 10/11.... ehhhhhh
That's basically what they said back then too.

Edit: ..And increasingly ever since, which was my actual point. What exactly happened twenty years ago isn't that important.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned

2023 and windows 11.... ehhhhhh. Windows 12 seems to be doubling down on the new direction which people won't like. It'll be the first time that Microsoft breaks the good/bad cycle for the worse
XP was bad at launch. They basically remade the OS for SP1, which is what everyone remembers.

11 is just 10 but worse. Maybe 12 will be better.

StereoVsn

IMO, Linux will gain, Mac will stay the same, Windows will still lead.

That is unless MS does something monumentally stupid and tries to lock games UWP style again even for non windows store ones. I don't put it past them.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That is unless MS does something monumentally stupid and tries to lock games UWP style again even for non windows store ones. I don't put it past them.
that is what i'm banking on. This new direction Microsoft are heading in with Windows will inevitably end in something that massively damages their reputation and marketshare.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I honestly wish MS would allow Windows to enter into a stripped down/minimal resources gaming mode for Windows 11. I know they had (or still have?) a gaming mode, but something ultra barebones.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There is certainly a chance, but I am hoping reasonable folks prevail.
with all the dumb shit corpos have gotten away with in the past 15 years, and all the crazy ways MS have managed to make Windows worse, i will always assume the worst unless i see otherwise

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I always thought Linux/BSD to be better environments for gaming, since they aren't memory/resources hogs like windows.

Tams

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

A YouTuber is going to try and influence a multinational company!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

that is what i'm banking on. This new direction Microsoft are heading in with Windows will inevitably end in something that massively damages their reputation and marketshare.

I take it we are just gonna ignore:
Windows ME
or
Windows Vista
or
Windows 8

MS have fucked up before and Windows 11 is far from a fuck up.

Windows 11 and MS going back to the 3 years cycle isnt going to convince anyone to move to Mac or Linux for gaming builds.

Windows will be king of the hill for gaming easily easily for the next 10 years.

Tams

I always thought Linux/BSD to be better environments for gaming, since they aren't memory/resources hogs like windows.

This pretty much a myth. Windows sometimes assigns more to RAM (it's there and using power to matter what, so might as well use it), but reassigns it when necessary.

Banned
noone's gonna switch to Linux.
Linux is a terrible operating system, and gaming isn't the only thing people use PCs for.

Windows simply has every feature the majority of people want from a PC OS, it's easy to use, compatibility is the highest by such a massive margine that the other OSs wouldn't even be visible on a chart next to it, and it has the biggest mindshare amongst the general public.

Banned
they are messing up though.

they have been periodically since Windows Me,
and it doesn't seem to impact them in a meaningful way 🤣

and tbh, even at their worst, the average user will still have a better experience on Windows 8 than on [insert random Linux distro]

Ar¢tos

This pretty much a myth. Windows sometimes assigns more to RAM (it's there and using power to matter what, so might as well use it), but reassigns it when necessary.
Yet, my mini pc was a slog with windows 10, taking ages to boot and sometimes taking 2 minutes to open a browser and after switching to Linux everything runs at acceptable speed.

Tams

they have been periodically since Windows Me,
and it doesn't seem to impact them in a meaningful way 🤣

and tbh, even at their worst, the average user will still have a better experience on Windows 8 than on [insert random Linux distro]

You mean you don't like installing programmes by compiling them or using .deb... no wait, .rpm... errrr, .tar? Hang a sec, Flatpak! Ohhh, umm, Snap, that was it! Or was it AppImage?

And I'll go with Cinnamon for a DE. What?! Cinnamon sucks and is for n00bs?! Okay, okay, I'll go with GNOME. No? MATE then? I'm mainstream?! Fine. KDE it is then. Qt is the future? Fine, fine, LXQt then. Qt sucks balls?! Xfce then...

Last edited:

Banned
Trolling, much?

tell me with a straight face the Normy McNormal would have a better time using Linux than Windows 8...

Windows 8 is stable, has good compatibility, and all Windows features.
it just is annoying to use at times due to the start screen, but not annoying because something doesn't work, but because it's designed for touch.

Linux would be a nightmare for most people even before installing it, simply looking for which one to use would be too much for the majority of people.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You mean you don't like installing programmes by compiling them or using .deb... no wait, .rpm... errrr, .tar? Hang a sec, Flatpak! Ohhh, umm, Snap, that was it! Or was it AppImage?
.... you click on the software app
type in the application you're looking for
click on the application
click install.
And AppImages function exactly like .EXEs on windows, infact even better since most of them aren't located in a folder that you need to extract. Most apps use them now
And I'll go with Cinnamon for a DE. What?! Cinnamon sucks and is for n00bs?! Okay, okay, I'll go with GNOME. No? MATE then? I'm mainstream?! Fine. KDE it is then. Qt is the future? Fine, fine, LXQt then. Qt sucks balls?! Xfce then...
You are literally just fine using Gnome, Cinnamon or KDE. Those are the holy trinity and you can ignore the rest. Also, I'd rather be confused on which DE i can use than be stuck using the one that daddy Microsoft picked out for me, that they assume i will like the most

Tams

.... you click on the software app
type in the application you're looking for
click on the application
click install.
And AppImages function exactly like .EXEs on windows, infact even better since most of them aren't located in a folder that you need to extract. Most apps use them now

You are literally just fine using Gnome, Cinnamon or KDE. Those are the holy trinity and you can ignore the rest. Also, I'd rather be confused on which DE i can use than be stuck using the one that daddy Microsoft picked out for me, that they assume i will like the most

Lol, you Linux nerds can never take a joke.

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

Linux will never take over unless people that's maintain it change their mindset...

I saw a topic on Reddit of a guy discussing what Linux should change in order to gain market share... Most or the response where from hardcore Linux nerd saying that 'Linux doesn't need market share because it already rules the server World" and that they would not bother to put effort just to make more desktop users using it...

We already know that Linux could easily take over the desktop OS if the effort where really there... Just look how successful Android is, what Google did was basically get Linux and put effort to make it user friendly with a simple and we'll defined way of doing things and voilà the most used OS in the world.

Top Bottom