• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where did the AAA FPS genre disappear to?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nah, every person that disagrees with you 2 is trolling bud.
You didn't even disagree with me. Just flat out ignored my post because you know you've got nothing to respond to it. You're just interested in talking shit because it's clear that actually trying to understand what OP is looking for is not on the agenda at all.

Last edited:

EDMIX

You didn't even disagree with me. Just flat out ignored my post because you know you've got nothing to respond to it. You're just interested in talking shit because it's clear that actually trying to understand what OP is looking for is not on the agenda at all.

OP was literally asked to objectify what they are talking about so it can be measured, as in give factual information for us to even properly understand exactly what is being claimed

You are trying really hard not to understand what I mean

^^^

Thats their response..

Not, oh I mean "actually listing factual thing" lol

So saying something like "You know, the kind where there cool and unique levels, weapons, enemies, sounds and music were the stars of the games" is a subjective view, someone can say this about any FPS they like, right now..today.

"Back then these games were the milestones in graphics and physics technology. And I think the FPS genre was the most popular"

Only here can we even fucking measure anything to answer this whole "did the aaa fps disappear"

"milestones in graphics and physics" that didn't just fucking stop 20 years ago, that is still going on right now.

Prove the point.

"FPS genre was more popular"

COD is moving historic numbers over 100 million in Warzone and 600 million on mobile, APEX got over 100 million players , we have more evidence TODAY that FPS is at its height in popularity then "back then".

So I don't know, maybe its you and OP that are mad that you can't really prove your points. Listing games makes you mad, reminding you those developers still exist is "Trolling", asking for clarification, instead of making a more clear objective point....just gets more triggered.

OP asked a question that can be answered objective, it can't however rest on this whole "cool" and "weaponz was da stars" as this shit can be said about any game right now today, that is merely their personal opinion, but to to say FPS has disappeared is a claim that can be debunked with factual information.

Not my view on this game or that game or anything odd like that.

Last edited:

YuLY

I was feeling like going through my library, I made a list of what I think best fits the criteria of what OP meant, but again, hes right, they dont make a lot of these anymore, I'm just listing them cause I'm bored mostly hehe.

FPS: The Darkness 1+2, Singularity, TimeShift , Prey (2006), Riddick, Syndicate (2012), Far Cry 1, FEAR, Clive Barker's Jericho, Darkwatch, TimeSplitters, Painkiller, Legendary, Duke Nukem, Rainbow Six: Vegas 1+2, James Bond Nightfire/GoldenEye Reloaded/Agent Under Fire, Resistance 1-3, Killzone 1-3, Bulletstorm, Urban Chaos - Riot Response, Hard Reset, Judge Dredd, SW - Republic Commando, Star Trek - Elite Force, Chrome, Section 8, Unreal II - The Awakening, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter, Alien vs Predator, Turok, Area 51, Darkest of Days, Soldier of Fortune etc

TPS: Binary Domain, Vanquish, Inversion, Fracture, FUSE, Army of Two, Max Payne, The Punisher, Dead To Rights, Eat Lead - The Return of Matt Hazard, Dark Sector, Wanted - Weapons of Fate, Kane and Lynch, Spec Ops - The Line, Stranglehold, Wet, Red Faction - Armageddon, James Bond - Everything or Nothing, NeverDead, Syphon Filter, 50 Cent - Blood On the Sand, Jason Bourne (2008), Mission Impossible - Operation Surma, Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell (especially stuff like Conviction), Quantum Theory, Shadows of the Damned, Lost Planet 1-3, Avatar (2009), Front Mission Evolved, The Bureau XCOM Declassified etc

Basically AAA or AA shooters with a 6-10h campaign that you could finish in 1 day or over a weekend. Maybe they had some multiplayer mode, but it could be ignored. These types of games are a dying breed. Yes we are still getting them, but if you want to see the difference, just go to wikipedia, sort shooters by year of release and get depressed.

EDMIX

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI literally just made this thread a closed loop(within one page), and somehow people are either still trying to fight it or at worst, don't even see it.

this.

I'm sure someone can like the genre or a few games from the past or something like this, but the moment it turns into this whole nostalgia trip and goal post after goal post to the point of even dismissing developers that are STILL making those games....

this is based on some nostalgia and should be disregarded.

I don't think OP can FACTUALLY prove "aaa fps genre disappears" or less popular or anything remotely like that.

22•22 22•22 Semi OT, but I wonder how much of the reboot of Perfect Dark will be like the original?

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell "Just flat out ignored my post because you know you've got nothing" =) lol What are you going to say? We have less people playing FPS? lol

I'd stick to that "k" cause I'm 100% sure neither of you have any data to back anything up tbh. lol

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
OP was literally asked to objectify what they are talking about so it can be measured, as in give factual information for us to even properly understand exactly what is being claimed

^^^

Thats their response..

Not, oh I mean "actually listing factual thing" lol

So saying something like "You know, the kind where there cool and unique levels, weapons, enemies, sounds and music were the stars of the games" is a subjective view, someone can say this about any FPS they like, right now..today.

"Back then these games were the milestones in graphics and physics technology. And I think the FPS genre was the most popular"

Only here can we even fucking measure anything to answer this whole "did the aaa fps disappear"

"milestones in graphics and physics" that didn't just fucking stop 20 years ago, that is still going on right now.

Prove the point.

"FPS genre was more popular"

COD is moving historic numbers over 100 million in Warzone and 600 million on mobile, APEX got over 100 million players , we have more evidence TODAY that FPS is at its height in popularity then "back then".

So I don't know, maybe its you and OP that are mad that you can't really prove your points. Listing games makes you mad, reminding you those developers still exist is "Trolling", asking for clarification, instead of making a more clear objective point....just gets more triggered.

OP asked a question that can be answered objective, it can't however rest on this whole "cool" and "weaponz was da stars" as this shit can be said about any game right now today, that is merely their personal opinion, but to to say FPS has disappeared is a claim that can be debunked with factual information.

Not my view on this game or that game or anything odd like that.
K

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Basically AAA or AA shooters with a 6-10h campaign that you could finish in 1 day or over a weekend. Maybe they had some multiplayer mode, but it could be ignored. These types of games are a dying breed. Yes we are still getting them, but if you want to see the difference, just go to wikipedia, sort shooters by year of release and get depressed.
Yup.

Similar to open world RPG games, I think most gamers focus on games with lots of content (value for the money).

Sure, there's some shooter fans that buy COD, beat the SP campaign and sell the disc back, but most shooters want some bang for their buck. Same with giant open ass worlds. You can buy an adventure game and beat it over a weekend with it's linear plot, or beat a huge game across 50 hours of exploring, side quests and then the final mission.

I like getting good content and longevity for my money. Now if all those 6-10 hr games were $20 that'd be different. But when they are all the same cost as a huge Bethesda RPG, Mario World or shooter with SP, MP, BR and tons of modes, it's pretty hard to pay top dollar for an old school game with an old school length/content of game.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It was Valve who fucked this up for everyone with Half-Life. The epitome of FPS level design became a slow, boring tram ride where you just had to sit there and look and listen, worse than a cut scene. Level design became all about being "believable" rather than the previous standard of "good level design".

Nah, they just introduced a different style of FPS, which was slower, and focused on immersion.

Truth be told I love my Dooms and shit, but slower paced, more immersive shooters like Metro Exodus are my favorite.

BootsLoader

Banned
It was yes.. Needs a remake. Guns. Vibe. Music, different levels with multiple sub side missions....

Remake was poop with the extremely sensitive aiming (fuck auto aiming)
It needs a proper remake or a proper sequel which I highly doubt will happen.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd stick to that "k" cause I'm 100% sure neither of you have any data to back anything up tbh. lol
What the hell are you blathering about? 🤣

You want data about what kind of a game do I prefer?

picture-4521-1464222422.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah it’s good, but it’s not what I’m looking for. I’m a strictly SP guy.

It looks to me that you’re looking for successors to the boomer shooter style (which are all over the place on PC), but with a AAA budget.
Outside of Doom, Shadow Warrior, and Wolfenstein I don’t know what else could fill that void? Every other shooter from that era is dead, so you’re just not going to see that style of FPS in a modern AAA release. It’s simply too risky for anything that doesn’t already carry a big name with a strong FPS heritage. Even Doom and Wolfenstein plummet in price quickly.

What we have seen is quite a few strong single player campaigns. But unless you go indie, which you honestly should because the shit’s amazing - I don’t see you getting what you’re looking for.

Last edited:

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I agree with the OP. It is a shame we don't get the same type of output as we did 20 years ago. I quit the latest COD due to the atrocious campaign.

Prodeus is a recent example that captures that feeling but not with a AAA budget. I would recommend at least checking it out.

Last edited:

EDMIX

EDMIX EDMIX I dont really follow that because I'm sure it'll be shit. But the world is full of wonders!

lol damn! You already writing it off. (me too though lol)

You can make a modern Perfect Dark that has all the elements of the original, but it doesn't sound like thats what that new team is doing. So a huge question mark still.

If only OP had mentioned more dying genres that used to be huge and actually haven't had AAA releases in ages, like Platformers, Extreme Sports, Arcade Sports, etc

lol Them BMX and Skateboard games moved huge numbers back then. I do wonder how that Rider Republic game actually did as that sounded like a love letter to a lot of that stuff, but to question the popularity of FPS titles today is nonsensical and I'm 100% neither can find a fucking shred of data to support it being less popular or less units sold or something.

BMX and Skateboard games WISHED they were doing 100 million, 600 million etc lol Then to be like "dayz dying" lol they used to do 900 million easily, haven't you heard?

makaveli60

It looks to me that you’re looking for successors to the boomer shooter style (which are all over the place on PC), but with a AAA budget.
Outside of Doom, Shadow Warrior, and Wolfenstein I don’t know what else could fill that void? Every other shooter from that era is dead, so you’re just not going to see that style of FPS in a modern AAA release. It’s simply too risky for anything that doesn’t already carry a big name with a strong FPS heritage. Even Doom and Wolfenstein plummet in price quickly.

What we have seen is quite a few strong single player campaigns. But unless you go indie, which you honestly should because the shit’s amazing - I don’t see you getting what you’re looking for.
Practically, yes, that’s what I’m about. And I was also interested in discussing why did they disappear. But I have a clearer picture now.

Denton

I dont wanna sound too harsh, but I really dont get the point of this post,
Yeah, I figured. The point, since I have to spell it out, is that OP should perhaps consider broadening his horizons and play other types of first person games. Because, guess what, it is 2022, tastes change over time and very few AAA studios these days are interested in making AAA version of Quake 1.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I agree with the OP. It is a shame we don't get the same type of output as we did 20 years ago. I quit the latest COD due to the atrocious campaign.

Prodeus is a recent example that captures that feeling but not with a AAA budget. I would recommend at least checking it out.
Just checked out Prodeus trailer. It looks good indeed. All it misses for me it seems is the AAA technical side of course but I might enjoy it anyway.

Wildebeest

Nah, they just introduced a different style of FPS, which was slower, and focused on immersion.

Truth be told I love my Dooms and shit, but slower paced, more immersive shooters like Metro Exodus are my favorite.
Thief was focussed on immersion. Half-Life was focussed on environmental story telling.

Drizzlehell

Banned
this.

I'm sure someone can like the genre or a few games from the past or something like this, but the moment it turns into this whole nostalgia trip and goal post after goal post to the point of even dismissing developers that are STILL making those games....

this is based on some nostalgia and should be disregarded.

I don't think OP can FACTUALLY prove "aaa fps genre disappears" or less popular or anything remotely like that.

22•22 22•22 Semi OT, but I wonder how much of the reboot of Perfect Dark will be like the original?

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell "Just flat out ignored my post because you know you've got nothing" =) lol What are you going to say? We have less people playing FPS? lol

So let's recap: you asked me what kind of a game OP was referring to, so I explained it in very specific terms, as well as provided a bunch of examples of games that follow this formula. All of which you flat out ignored because it doesn't line up with your preferred narrative that we're just a bunch of boomers lamenting about days past, and that we don't like anything that's new.

And nobody said that triple-A FPS games don't exist anymore. What we're saying is that modern FPS market is saturated with open world experiences and that we lack more compact games that don't require dozens of hours to finish. And many people would rather play games like that instead of Far Cry 7: You Will Play This Shit Until You're 60.

If you want some data then do a year-by-year google search for first person shooters and see the diminishing returns on more linear games, and the increasing number of open world games, to the point where you can barely find a game that's NOT an open world shooter these days. And I'm speaking specifically about single player games because the only other kind of shooters that are still popular are multiplayer games.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
lol damn! You already writing it off. (me too though lol)

You can make a modern Perfect Dark that has all the elements of the original, but it doesn't sound like thats what that new team is doing. So a huge question mark still.

It's a me thing.

Cynicism.

Depression (lack of general excitement)

And yeah I'm reinstalling DOOM ETERNAL because yeah. 10+2 +22 = 22

Last edited:

makaveli60

So let's recap: you asked me what kind of a game OP was referring to, so I explained it in very specific terms, as well as provided a bunch of examples of games that follow this formula. All of which you flat out ignored because it doesn't line up with your preferred narrative that we're just a bunch of boomers lamenting about days past, and that we don't like anything that's new.

And nobody said that triple-A FPS games don't exist anymore. What we're saying is that modern FPS market is saturated with open world experiences and that we lack more compact games that don't require dozens of hours to finish. And many people would rather play games like that instead of Far Cry 7: You Will Play This Shit Until You're 60.

If you want some data then do a year-by-year google search for first person shooters and see the diminishing returns on more linear games, and the increasing number of open world games, to the point where you can barely find a game that's NOT an open world shooter these days. And I'm speaking specifically about single player games because the only other kind of shooters that are still popular are multiplayer games.
You are just wasting your time. Nothing you say will change his tone. He’s not about understanding us, he is clearly just trolling. All he really capable of is leaving laughing emojis for everything. By the way he communicates he clearly was too young anyway when those games were in the spotlight.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You are just wasting your time. Nothing you say will change his tone. He’s not about understanding us, he is clearly just trolling. All he really capable of is leaving laughing emojis for everything. By the way he communicates he clearly was too young anyway when those games were in the spotlight.
Ah hell, you're right.

predator-handshake.gif

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Or because it's a shooter with two pathetic aim assists fooling the player to think he/she is better at aiming.

Yes! That's it! No other factors at play at all! Great analysis

Someone give this child gold. My eyes are opened

👀

Omg such insight 🧠

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybe expand your self imposed shit to other aspects. Power upa/weapon timers. Friendly/enemy map awareness/anticipating?

Please reply

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
How old are you btw
Between 14 and 23 am I close

Yeah I'm close. Using a Razor Led setup no?

Last edited:

calistan

Why nobody ever mentions Perfect Dark 64 in these kinds of posts? The game is top notch.
The sheer amount of stuff that was in that game, it was way ahead of its time… Very few games have gone that far since, certainly not when it comes to the campaign mode. The counter-operative mode, for example - has that ever been done elsewhere?

I’ve been getting into CoD Modern Warfare 2, and there’s a lot more in this one than in the last one I played (MW 2019). They’ve recently turned the front end into some sort of massive CoD hub, so you can launch various games from there (if you bought them on that platform) and there are more multiplayer variations than I’ll ever have time to explore. So I suppose if this is the state of the art in FPS right now, it‘s not something that most developers could ever approach. The budget for this thing must be vast.

EDMIX

You are just wasting your time. Nothing you say will change his tone. He’s not about understanding us, he is clearly just trolling

lol understanding?

I literally fucking asked to give a objective, factual thing to what you are talking about and got a non-answer.

So I'd say your responses are more trolling then what anyone on here is fucking asking of you.

I asked you to factually give us something measurable so we can even dissuccess this claim

You "You are trying really hard not to understand what I mean" When you could have just stated the proof, data, evidence, link, anything to prove your point.

What the hell are you blathering about? 🤣

You want data about what kind of a game do I prefer?

Yea...so this off topic stuff or "k" shit is trolling.

its trying to avoid anything discussing the claim cause I'm sure neither of you could back up shit regarding this.

Its why you've both spent more time going off topic then proving any point with any data or anything really.

I'll save you the goal post too...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7145...sales-records-best-seller-on-steam/index.html

Not a single fucking metric supports "aaa fps GeNrE diZapPeArInG" Even with the very IP you both cited.

When a number is that fucking large, its hard to take anyone seriously going on a nostalgia trip trying to pretend a genre is dead or dying or not popular. That truth hurts big time budz.

edit. and added to ignore. You doing your best to avoid the very claim this thread is made about =)

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
The sheer amount of stuff that was in that game, it was way ahead of its time… Very few games have gone that far since, certainly not when it comes to the campaign mode. The counter-operative mode, for example - has that ever been done elsewhere?

I’ve been getting into CoD Modern Warfare 2, and there’s a lot more in this one than in the last one I played (MW 2019). They’ve recently turned the front end into some sort of massive CoD hub, so you can launch various games from there (if you bought them on that platform) and there are more multiplayer variations than I’ll ever have time to explore. So I suppose if this is the state of the art in FPS right now, it‘s not something that most developers could ever approach. The budget for this thing must be vast.
It’s very hard to make a game with so much stuff and implement it the way they did back then. I remember the multiplayer running at 15 FPS, but I really had the best time of my life with my friends. Storywise, musicwise, contentwise, everything was perfect.

Top Bottom