• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where did the AAA FPS genre disappear to?

makaveli60

I just impulse bought Quake on PS5 as I felt nostalgic thanks to watching a video yesterday about the DNF Restoration project. Quake 1 never clicked to me and I never finisihed it, despite being an FPS fan ever since I started gaming but I quite enjoy this new version.

And the above made me wonder, why aren’t there AAA FPS games nowadays? You know, the kind where there cool and unique levels, weapons, enemies, sounds and music were the stars of the games. Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Turok, Half-Life, Quake 2, Soldier of Fortune (sort of a black sheep in this list but still), Far Cry, FEAR, Prey, Crysis, Bioshock, The Darkness and so on. Back then these games were the milestones in graphics and physics technology. And I think the FPS genre was the most popular. And then at once around 2010 they just ceased to exist besides CoD, Halo and BF. What happened?

I really miss these games. We have the new Dooms (which are awesome) but nothing else like that. Or if anyone knows some sleeping hit then feel free to recommend. I’d also like to play modern versions of said games (a la Quake) but it seems most of them can only be played on PC only.

Kinda coming back this year.
  1. Atomic Heart
  2. Ken Levine 2: Clown Cars
  3. Redfall
  4. Bethesda's next games may be announced at some point.
  5. Halo hit not long ago.
  6. Sony has new studios working.
The main thing that changed is GAAS games lasting forever like Destiny, Apex and Fortnite. The good news is that indie FPS games are starting to come into their own, like Prodeus and Metal Hellsinger, among others.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kinda coming back this year.
  1. Atomic Heart
  2. Ken Levine 2: Clown Cars
  3. Redfall
  4. Bethesda's next games may be announced at some point.
  5. Halo hit not long ago.
  6. Sony has new studios working.
The main thing that changed is GAAS games lasting forever like Destiny, Apex and Fortnite. The good news is that indie FPS games are starting to come into their own, like Prodeus and Metal Hellsinger, among others.
no. None of these is that

no. None of these is that
411x74.gif

Ogbert

You know Wolfenstein and Doom still exist right? Doom Eternal rocked. Also there's about five thousand indie boomer shooters on Steam which are fantastic.
But the boomer shooters are are low cost, indie games.

Love them and they’re great games, but they’re not AAA.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
imho Half-Life kinda killed the genre with it's focus on linear progression and bombastic scenes. After than came the Medal of Honors and Call of Dutys which were the nail in the coffin.

Thankfully we got the indie scene nowadays with all the retro shooters, and even some AAA stufd with games like DOOM 06 and Eternal or the Wolfensteins.

SHA

You know Wolfenstein and Doom still exist right? Doom Eternal rocked. Also there's about five thousand indie boomer shooters on Steam which are fantastic.
It's the alternative, that's the whole point, when you don't find something new you switch back to older games.

Orta

Banned
Consoles ruined first person shooters. They were dumbed down to accommodate shitty controllers and a new audience who had never played them. Anyone who says otherwise only needs ask when the golden age of shooters was, it was when they were developed primarily for pc's.

makaveli60

Yes, I even highlighted modern Dooms. And I know there are a lot of indie shooters, but I’m wondering about the AAA space with its cutting edge technologies.

T4keD0wN

Must suck imposing limitations on your choices by requiring the marketing budget to be so high that "low budget" stuff like titanfall 2, battlefronts, rage 2, ghostwire tokyo, deathloop, and borderlands doesnt even count when theres decent stuff like turbo overkill, high on life, shadow warrior 3, warstride challenges, prodeus, serious sam, selaco and simultaneously pretend like far cry 6, half life vr and wolfenstein 2 TNC are too old. Limiting choices by marketing budget and not quality makes sense for investors and not consumers.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Must suck limiting your choices by requiring the marketing budget to be so high that "low budget" stuff like titanfall 2 and borderlands doesnt count had when theres good stuff like turbo overkill, warstride challenges, prodeus, serious sam and selaco
Titanfall 2 might work, I still have to play this. But Borderlands is nothing like those uniquely handcrafted singleplayer campaigns.

Kacho

Gold Member
Remember during the 360 era when people complained every time a game dropped and didn’t have multiplayer? Then we started seeing half baked multiplayer modes in games? This is why we don’t see many AAA FPS games these days. The mass market wants to hop online and pwn other people and that’s where the money is.

If you want more traditional style FPSes then you’ll have to settle for indie boomer shooters.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I miss Battlefield😓 i wish right now we could have upgraded Battlefield 5 with modern weapons, maps and destruction for current gen consoles/pc..
3 and 4 still going on PC. Why then upgrade 5?

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
They vanished because of all those cucks who kept whining about games being "only" 10 hours long, and just saturation of the genre in the 2000s.

The only place you can find those kinds of games these days is Steam store page for "boomer shooter" and "indie FPS" tags.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Metro Exodus - OPEN WORLD
Cyberpunk 2077 - OPEN WORLD RPG
Half Life Alyx - VR
Far Cry 6 - OPEN WORLD
High on Life - OPEN WORLD
Halo Infinite - OPEN WORLD
Deathloop - OPEN WORLD
The only non-open world, traditional, linear FPS on that list was Doom Eternal. Arguably H-L Alyx too but since that's a VR game, it's not really accessible to anyone without a 400 dollar hardware required to play it, so this barrier of entry also disqualifies it from being the kind of game that I assume OP is looking for.

And I assume that he's referring to those 8-10 hour linear shooters that were common throughout the 2000s, and early 2010s, of which I'm a big fan as well. Sometimes I just wanna play a game that's on a shorter side and is packed with well-scripted and well directed action set pieces that don't waste 50+ hours of your life by making you wander around a giant-ass map to collect crafting materials or do a laundry list of chores.

makaveli60

The only non-open world, traditional, linear FPS on that list was Doom Eternal. Arguably H-L Alyx too but since that's a VR game, it's not really accessible to anyone without a 400 dollar hardware required to play it, so this barrier of entry also disqualifies it from being the kind of game that I assume OP is looking for.

And I assume that he's referring to those 8-10 hour linear shooters that were common throughout the 2000s, and early 2010s, of which I'm a big fan as well. Sometimes I just wanna play a game that's on a shorter side and is packed with well-scripted and well directed action set pieces that don't waste 50+ hours of your life by making you wander around a giant-ass map to collect crafting materials or do a laundry list of chores.
Thanks, exactly what I’m talking about!

Guilty_AI

👇
"Those don't count because [insert arbitrary reason]!"
🤷‍♂️

as the prophecies foretold

I tried the first (I mean the remake) but the gunplay was horribly lame. But I will take a look maybe, it might got better.
It's completely different than the first can hardly be considered the same series as far as gameplay is concerned. It functions a lot like the modern DOOM games gunplay wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom