• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Next Gen Games?

Why did you buy your next gen console(s)?

• Total voters

kyliethicc

Here is the complete list of games that cannot be played on PS4 / XBO.

Only on PS5
- Astro's Playroom
- Demon's Souls
- Destruction Allstars
- Returnal
- Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

Only on XBS
- Aliens
- An Airport Run by Aliens for Dogs
- Bright Memory
- Flight Simulator

Only on PS5 & XBS
- The Medium
- Enlisted

Am I missing any?

So far, it seems like their are only 6 (edit) 11 games out right now that are not cross gen. And 5 of them are from Sony. (Godfall is now going to PS4.) And 1 of those is a remake. Microsoft has Flight Sim coming next month, but thats it. Where are the 3rd party publishers? And most upcoming games this fall are cross gen too. Is this new or usual?

Does any of this matter? Or is playing better versions of last gen games good enough?

Last edited:

Relativ9

What's with this idea everyone has that a game being available (usually in a severely downgraded state) on old gen consoles means it no longer qualifies for next gen. I could play Cyberpunk on a integrated graphics CPU with 8gb or RAM, it will look like shit but it doesn't mean playing it on a 3080Ti would be any worse because of it.

Matt_Fox

At the moment thanks to GamePass I have a backlog of enhanced last gen games, including Prey, Wolfenstein Young Blood, Gear 5 Hive Busters.

And this week Yakuza Like A Dragon and Evil Within 2 (both of which I missed on first release) have just been added to it, and all these games are recent enough to be pretty impressive graphically so I'm good for the Summer at least!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
We are at a point where budget, skill, and art direction are more of a factor than hardware spec. Also Games are not just about making something look as realistic as possible.

Last edited:
don't have one. had a PS5 preordered but cancelled it. not buying it just for Demons Souls lol. i'll play Forbidden West on my PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy: the only reason I'd buy a PS5 right now is to my play my PS4 games if my PS4 died. there's not any exclusives coming out for PS5 that interest me and i doubt there will be any cause I've gone right off Naughty Dog games which were the only ones I really enjoyed. Uncharted is boring as hell and TLOU2 was a kick in the teeth and I loved the original. I used to play Gran Turismo but I prefer Forza games these days. Not interested in any other exclusives except Horizon but any potential third game is a long way off!

Realistically I'll only be buying a PS5 to keep playing PS4 games if that ever dies or if Sony have an exclusivity deal on any new From Software or Persona games. My favourite PS4 games are Bloodborne + Persona 5 so yeah that tells you what I think of Sony's 1st party titles.

Shwing

Here is the complete list of games that cannot be played on PS4 / XBO.

Only on PS5
- Astro's Playroom
- Demon's Souls
- Destruction Allstars
- Returnal
- Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

Only on XBS
- The Medium
- Flight Sim

Only on PS5 & XBS
- ?

Am I missing any?

So far, it seems like their are only 6 games out right now that are not cross gen. And 5 of them are from Sony. (Godfall is now going to PS4.) And 1 of those is a remake. Microsoft has Flight Sim coming next month, but thats it. Where are the 3rd party publishers? And most upcoming games this fall are cross gen too. Is this new or usual?

Does any of this matter? Or is playing better versions of last gen games good enough?

Not sure why you've put Flight Sim down as it's not out yet.
If you're going down that route then where are all the other upcoming PS5 games like Deathloop / Forsaken etc?

kyliethicc

Enlisted and Judgement are not on Xbox One.
I'll add Enlisted, had never heard of it. Judgement is on PS4.

If you're going down that route then where are all the other upcoming PS5 games like Deathloop / Forsaken etc?
1 - FS is out next month
2 - I was trying to be nice
3 - I didn't wanna have to write out every single upcoming game, wanted to focus on games out now

Last edited:
At least a cross gen release means a somewhat native next gen version. I've seen publishers straight up marketing upcoming games as launching on PS5, but in brackets next to it it says "via PS4 BC".

actually it has been out for months on PC. it's just the console version coming out next month. what does it really matter? their point still stands.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Buying a console only to play next generation games is weird (but understandable)

I've really enjoyed playing games I've already played or did not get a chance to play the last few years at 60fps and better resolution.

Not in a hurry for next gen games, I know we will definitely get them at some point.

Shwing

I'll add Enlisted, had never heard of it. Judgement is on PS4.

1 - FS is out next month
2 - I was trying to be nice
3 - I didn't wanna have to write out every single upcoming game, wanted to focus on games out now
Exactly... Point number 3... didn't wanna write out every single upcoming game, wanted to focus on games out now - which flight Sim isn't!

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Cross gen is fine for some projects and first two years, i don't think it affects quality if the game design is strong, PS5 versions will still run better look better and play better

These massive productions that are modern videogames need big userbases to thrive, while no doubt all developers are waiting to jump in the new toys, these cross games have been in development for years, and many even delayed by covid. Hardcore fanboys think the day a new system is released the previous one should be forgotten by everyone, but thats not the reality of game business today(maybe it was when PS2 or Xbox360 released,but not today) .
Cross gen won't be forever, enjoy the last efforts from game developers for PS4 and Xbox ONE im sure they are still good

can't wait for Elden Ring 😁

Saaleh

Banned
They killed the hype for MORE money. I don't know, almost everyone feels the disappointment yet very few can talk about it honestly.

at least we got a taste with demon souls, returnal, and ratchet. We will be lucky if sony still have more [next gen only] in between GT7,Horizon ,gow.

Death to Crossgen.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
There aren’t many next gen games because the consoles aren’t powerful e enough to run them.

the handful of next-gen games released don’t look that good unless you have very low standards.

Haggard

Banned
What's with this idea everyone has that a game being available (usually in a severely downgraded state) on old gen consoles means it no longer qualifies for next gen. I could play Cyberpunk on a integrated graphics CPU with 8gb or RAM, it will look like shit but it doesn't mean playing it on a 3080Ti would be any worse because of it.
The question should be why you think next gen is only defined by graphics...
There are so many limitations on the old gen due to the crappy CPU and HDD besides graphics....
A cross gen title's design will always be limited by the old hardware.
Sheer possible scale and interactivity are incomparable.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I treat it the exact same way as a GPU upgrade in my PC, all the games I missed/want to replay from the last 6 years now look amazing on my PS5 and as a bonus I've played some PS5 exclusive games as well. I loved Astrobot a lot.

PhaseJump

Banned
No Amico poll option to explain where the next gen games are?

Shame on you, OP. You're so inconsiderate to the needs of GAF's shit posters.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I treat it the exact same way as a GPU upgrade in my PC, all the games I missed/want to replay from the last 6 years now look amazing on my PS5 and as a bonus I've played some PS5 exclusive games as well. I loved Astrobot a lot.
Makes sense.

No Amico poll option to explain where the next gen games are?

Shame on you, OP. You're so inconsiderate to the needs of GAF's shit posters.
vC2Iw20.jpg

Top Bottom