• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the enhanced games from the Xbox backwards compatibility team?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
the Xbox backwards compatibility team said they will be making 4k patches for Xbox one games that never received updates from the Xbox one x and using a a method to doubling frame rates on caped games. So far we have only seen gears of war ultimate edition running at 4K and fallout 4 running at 60fps. What other games have they worked on why are they being so quiet this close to launch?

II_JumPeR_I

Yeah im wondering this aswell. If we dont hear anything about this the next couple of hours/days then they probably dont have this enhancements ready yet :/

NeonGhost

OP, this is basically the same post I was trying to make just now. ✊🏻
Right on yeah I just checked and the only game they have shown off with a 4K patch was gears of war ultimate edition and that was all the way back in March

Bridges

They'll probably do a gradual rollout starting a little after the launch window, similar to how they initially released the BC 360 games and their X enhancements.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the BC team has been focused on getting all the old games working smoothly on Series X, so I wouldn't expect any announcements this close to launch. They'll come later.

I’m talking about enhanced games from the backwards compatibility team
I'm failing to see the delineation here? This is what it would be. The 360 and OG Xbox games were enhanced via an emulation layer meaning the game was actually altered via the emulator itself.

Xbox One games are not running through emulation on Series X, they are natively supported titles. What does this mean? It means each game has to be manually tweaked and ported to the system to take further advantage of it. There's no emulator that can intercept the game code and alter it for output.

NeonGhost

I'm failing to see the delineation here? This is what it would be. The 360 and OG Xbox games were enhanced via an emulation layer meaning the game was actually altered via the emulator itself.

Xbox One games are not running through emulation on Series X, they are natively supported titles. What does this mean? It means each game has to be manually tweaked and ported to the system to take further advantage of it. There's no emulator that can intercept the game code and alter it for output.
This is wrong the backwards compatibility team are using the same methods they did with the 360 games for Xbox one games with no need to get the developers involved

This is wrong the backwards compatibility team are using the same methods they did with the 360 games for Xbox one games with no need to get the developers involved
This is not true, the system natively plays the games just as if it were an Xbox One. There's no backend shell, it's not running through a VM OS like the 360 BC where the actual 360 itself and its OS are emulated in software.

There's no emulation taking place.

NeonGhost

This is not true, the system natively plays the games just as if it were an Xbox One. There's no backend shell, it's not running through a VM OS like the 360 BC where the actual 360 itself and its OS are emulated in software.

There's no emulation taking place.
Ok idc if it’s emulation or not but the backwards compatibility team are making older games in 4k and games capped at 30fps at 60fps with out changing the code or needing the original developers for anything

Ok idc if it’s emulation or not but the backwards compatibility team are making older games in 4k and games capped at 30fps at 60fps with out changing the code or needing the original developers for anything
We'll see about that, the reason it was possible with the 360 is because they could just alter the emulation itself which would change the output of the code without having to actually touch it. With no layer of emulation I'm not sure how this will be possible but I guess we'll see.

NeonGhost

We'll see about that, the reason it was possible with the 360 is because they could just alter the emulation itself which would change the output of the code without having to actually touch it. With no layer of emulation I'm not sure how this will be possible but I guess we'll see.
Ok well we have already seen gears ultimate edition in 4k without changing anything in the code and fallout 4 at 60 without changing the code and multiple blog posts and videos from digital foundry all saying they don’t need to change the code but you know I should believe you random person

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think the news are drowning in other next gen news. Also no reason to mention all games.

I doubt all games will be patched for launch though, and I doubt all games will get a patch.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Don't forget master chief collection is getting a next gen patch, was it later this year or early next? I think that's a big deal, a lot of people love the halo games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If they end up delivering on unlocking framerates from 30 to 60 for key xbox one and 360 titles, i will happily wait a few months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom