• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When we changed our minds about video games and we were wrong

Original demon souls. People were raving about it but when i looked at some footage, it looked terrible! Sony eventually put it on PS plus, so I gave it a go. I was hooked!

Made me realise that Watching footage of a game vs actually playing a game is very different.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Monster Hunter, I had taken several swipes at it on the PSP but it wasent until Tri on the Wii that it finally clicked.

Before it I thought the game as a tedious chore, which if you compare it to more recent entries with the streamlining it could be described as such. But after Tri... and it's.... intresting underwater mechanics, I started to appreciate the titles more, it was a game that you got more out of when you put more in.

Kind of hard to describe but the game actually got easier the more you played, because as a low rank hunter you had to work for everything as mechanics where slowly unlocked for you. Once you had a number of options the game really opened up and you could effectively plan and engage specific monsters in hunts chasing a specific armour/weapon combo's to chase other specific monsters, it became one of my fav series every.

The streamlining found in World and Rise didn't bother me like alot of the older fans, I was just happy to have a version that now looked as good as it played. Little sad they got rid of the ranged/melle unique sets for each monster though.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Demon's Souls

First played in 2010 around its release. Thought it was absolute garbage and shelved it for a couple of years. Went back to it in 2013 and finished it, absolutely loving it. I then went on and platinumed Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro. Currently loving Elden Ring. My favorite franchise of all time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I get the feeling if I gave it another shot, I might actually be able to tolerate Death Stranding.

Kupfer

tlou2.
All the leaks pre release. Mass internet hate boner on the game because Abby got some muscles.
The game took my like good 15-20 hours until it finally won me over with it's rollercoaster of emotions.
By the end, I loved all of it and totally let go of my pre-release hate. Now I can totally see why some stubborn people still hold to that feeling of hatred... because they were too stubborn to give the game a chance.
I remember having a talk about this topic with you here :)

On topic :
Control - Didn't really like it when I first played it on PS5, wanted to try some RT, but it wasn't fun. I didn't understand the game and quit like 5hours in.
But somehow I couldn't get over this and tried again some weeks later, this time in 60 fps mode and boy - I loved the game. The gameplay, switching between powers and weapons and tweaking your weapons slighly, the atmosphere, the aesthetics, architecture, setpieces ...
I am so glad I gave this game another chance. Some days later I platinumed it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I couldn't play Halo on the Xbox because I hated playing FPS with a controller. I had a blast with Halo Infinite last winter with my controller on my PC ( hooked up to a TV)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I wasn't interested in playing Nier Automata because of the 2B shills.

Played the game and when IT happens... I was like YOOOOO WHAT THE FUCK? Fire game from that moment onward. The coomers enhanced the experience.

I stopped playing video games because I decided they were too expensive and I decided working on my cars, getting laid and making friends was a better use of my time and money.

What a colossal mistake.
gEm2UC8.gif

This is absolutely correct. It's kinda weird that the op first had a factually and totally objectively correct opinion, but then changed his mind to the clearly wrong opinion. Weird.
"Objectively"
Whatever you say. He gave the series a real chance, unlike you and your glorified opinions.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Another game

81kYHaVWa9L._SL1291_.jpg

The game in its promotion seemed overrated to me, in fact I didn't like the combo system, but I was wrong and I loved the game (I tried it on PS Plus), I liked it a lot.

I love the cyberpunk setting...

It's the only Dontnod Entertainment game that I liked, then they made those Life is Strange cringe games.

I like the OST Specially in this Boss Fight.

Yeah, I can agree with not liking racing games that much besides kart racers for a while. In my early 20s though I began to like a crap ton of them.

Never much cared for fps games until the 360 generation came around. Specifically games like left 4 dead and killzone 2 really got me into them.

Before that I just casually played an occasional game of timesplitters 2 or 007 (goldeneye, night fire) with friends.

Guilty_AI

Another example is in the racing genre, I hated car games a lot, but when PGR 3 and WRC arrived, I started to like the genre.
I was the opposite. I only played racing games as a kid/pre-teen, or games with driving and vehicles in them like GTA or flight sims. Then i played Half Life.

More recently (recently being more than half a decade), JRPGs and VNs. Its strange since i watched anime and read manga/LN from way back, yet always had some degree of aversion to these types of games.
It started with some ADV games like Yume Nikki and Ib. Then i bought and played VA-11 Hall-A on a whim, without realizing it was a de facto visual novel, and ended up enjoyed it greatly. Then i played Nier Automata, and finally sealed the deal once and for all in my weeb spiral with Tales of Berseria.

Even more recently (for realsies recently), stuff like turn-based combat and RPGs (thanks to Divinity Original Sin 2), as well as stuff with management or more tactical elements.

Last edited:

Neff

Nintendo - In the '80s/early '90s I was a devout Sega kid who worshipped Space Harrier, Wonder Boy III, Phantasy Star etc. until one day my mum came home from Oxford Street having procured me a day one Super Nintendo with Super Mario World. I didn't ask for it, it wasn't my birthday, it wasn't anywhere near to Christmas. She just bought it. That was the kind of thing she did. That game and that console blew my mind. From that moment onwards I became a staunch Nintendo acolyte. 30 years later, nothing's changed.

Resident Evil 4 - I filled my mind with grave assumptions based on GameFAQs reports regarding Games Informer's exclusive coverage of Shinji Mikami's radical genre switch without having read it myself. To my mind, the idea of taking Resident Evil and turning it into an arcade-style shooter, removing the fixed camera angles, setting it in the daytime, and filling it with FARMERS instead of zombies seemed like a sure-as-shit recipe for disaster. Needless to say, that slice of humble pie offered by Capcom had never tasted so good.

Metroid Prime - I couldn't fathom how a western FPS version of Metroid could work. And made by the Turok guys at that. I was aghast. It violently went against my Japan-centric, Metroid-loving perspective at the time. I mean I liked Turok, but it wasn't Metroid. Super Metroid was as close to perfect as any game I could imagine. Getting to finally play Metroid Prime gave me an experience which surprised me in terms of its complexity, ambition and polish, and somehow felt completely faithful.

Sometimes it's wonderful to be wrong.

ZehDon

Gold Member
TLOU.

The first time I played through the game, I thought it was actually pretty good. A little over-hyped, but certainly a well-crafted and excellent game. And then I tried to play through it again, and the wheels came screaming off. The insane amount of handholding, the glee with which control is wrestled from the player, the sheer amount of "not game" that's stuffed in. I gave up and changed my opinion: it borders on the illusion of a game, one that oh-so-desperately wants to be a movie. Once that illusion is shattered, there's no going back. I can't stand those kinds of games anymore. I need agency, to contribute, to participate. Hours of self-indulgent cut-scenes awkwardly interrupted with run-of-the-mill third person "gameplay" is just not entertaining at all anymore.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I often tell this tale, but I couldn't fucking STAND Mass Effect until you get the Normandy and choose between Noveria, Theros, and uh...that other place (it's been years, sorry) The Eden Prime mission felt janky and like a bad introduction to the game's controls and mechanics. Just like "here, first ten seconds of planetary gameplay, here's a bunch of enemies, good luck, oh shit someone's dead, here's Ashley, better disarm these tiny bombs that look like cylinders and don't stand out at all hahahahahaha,"

And then the Citadel. Here, go find x in this gigantic twisting map with 7,000 entrances that all look the same while you grapple with character names, race names, and just what the fuck is happening!

But afterward, oh sweet Jesus. The game slows down and opens up, and you can finally take a breathe and find your footing. It's very much a game that assumes the player isn't an idiot, and assumes that Shepherd has been serving on this ship for awhile, so no lower ranking officer should be telling him how to run

After it all clicked, the Mass Effect trilogy became one of my favorite worlds in gaming.

Top Bottom