• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

when one game puts the rest to shame

• Thread starter Deleted member 801069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
With quick resume I’m playing multiple games at once for the first time due to the sheer convenience

It’s caused me to experience something I haven’t really encountered in the past: you can end up playing a game so good that it makes every other game you’re playing seem lacking in comparison

I’m playing Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds (just recently finished it), AC: Valhalla, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive and Yakuza 0

Playing all these games at once has really put into perspective how amazing Yakuza 0 is. I’ve been playing it pretty much all day and it’s prob the most engrossed in a game I’ve been in a long time. The story is so, so, so good it makes it hard to really enjoy Valhalla. Valhalla is beautiful, but it’s almost as if my playing Yakuza 0 amplifies how lacking the story in Valhalla is

Anyone else experiencing something similar with quick resume/next gen’s ability to juggle games?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I juggle games constantly, and occasionally I encounter a game that's so engrossing that everything else I'm playing gets put on the back burner until it's finished.

Currently for me, that's Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. It feels weird just carrying on playing my Switch when I've got these nice new next-gen consoles hooked up and I could be playing those instead. But, fun games are fun regardless of what platform they come out for.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I mean...We still haven't got a better RPG than Witcher 3 since it's release.

------------------------------

Though, this is always down to user preference. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a story-heavy game, so i could give a shit if it's fantastic over a game with better gameplay. It really all just depends on the mood. I can say that some games will kill my enjoymeny of other games in the same genre. I just couldn't get into Horizon: Zero Dawn after having played Breath of the Wild before it. It literally killed that game for me as I was so annoyed at the shit I COULDN'T do in Horizon that I COULD in BotW.

Kikorin

Max Payne 3 in comparison of every tps released until now, after it nothing felt the same again, so superior in every aspect: AI, animation, physics, impact, controls...

BOTW in comparison to every open world, to me has been the only one that made fun moving between locations and explore it (together with GTA).

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I always seem to buy new games when they come out so I can join in the hype, discussions and just general excitement, then I gravitate toward a game or two. A while back I set aside 13 Sentinels, Crash 4 and Star Wars Squadrons for Mafia Definitive Edition. The others were great but Mafia just pulled me in.

Then the new systems came out and then I set Watch Dogs Legion aside and have been playing Assassins Creed Valhalla and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Valhalla is great but Yakuza story is so good.

But like the guy above said, The Witcher 3 is my go to game. Best RPG and best game ever. (been gaming a looooog time). Can't wait for the 4K Series X update next year. I have been playing Blood and Wine but I dont want it to end so I'm just doing side quests and markers before I finish the story. So good!!

When Cyberpunk 2077 comes out I will set the others aside for a while (wish it was optimized for Series X)

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Haven’t had the pleasure of playing Witcher 3 yet, waiting on the next gen patch

I hear I’m in for a treat
It's just a wonderful world. Great characters, stories and looks and plays great. LOTS of great content and never really seems to be a chore. Give it a go. I'm over 200 hours and feel I can (and will) spend another 50 or so.....just because I can.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Good point, mate. This is why Age of Empires 2 means so much to me, since throughout the decades it has always been a game that can steal me away from whatever i'm in to at the time if i get in the right mood.

@peso you are - don't let forumgoers sway you about combat, i loved the whole thing from start to finish and immeditely annointed it my GOAT... just be open to it all and soak it up. I, personally, was set to 'walk' for my entire first playthrough, to soak up the art and atmosphere.

Fahdis

With quick resume I’m playing multiple games at once for the first time due to the sheer convenience

It’s caused me to experience something I haven’t really encountered in the past: you can end up playing a game so good that it makes every other game you’re playing seem lacking in comparison

I’m playing Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds (just recently finished it), AC: Valhalla, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive and Yakuza 0

Playing all these games at once has really put into perspective how amazing Yakuza 0 is. I’ve been playing it pretty much all day and it’s prob the most engrossed in a game I’ve been in a long time. The story is so, so, so good it makes it hard to really enjoy Valhalla. Valhalla is beautiful, but it’s almost as if my playing Yakuza 0 amplifies how lacking the story in Valhalla is

Anyone else experiencing something similar with quick resume/next gen’s ability to juggle games?

If I ever hear this argument again, I'll riot! Nothing will ever be better.

kYKdO25.jpg

Kumomeme

Dragon's Dogma put other openworld action rpg combat into shame

especially during it launch, it definitely made skyrim suck to play and lot of people spoiled by this game.
also made game like witcher 3 feels more janky and clunky than it was while the flaws become more apparent.

but if we want to count to other non big open world game, souls series also bring similliar effect.

Max Payne 3 in comparison of every tps released until now, after it nothing felt the same again, so superior in every aspect: AI, animation, physics, impact, controls...

BOTW in comparison to every open world, to me has been the only one that made fun moving between locations and explore it (together with GTA).
I'd honestly love to play MP3 both from remedy and rockstar. Just to see how the differences.

Rick Monster

Neo Member
Haven’t had the pleasure of playing Witcher 3 yet, waiting on the next gen patch

I hear I’m in for a treat
Witcher 3 is the closest I have ever felt to playing a novel as a videogame. And not as a boring thing. Just - the narrative is so engrossing and compelling. You don't need to have played any of the previous ones. This is just such a full meal of a game. Enjoy!

Fbh

Yakuza 0 is great!.
I honestly think the Yakuza franchise has some of the best stories in gaming. Like yeah they are melodramatic and most of them are filled with way too many plot conveniences and coincidences and big logic leaps. But they are just told in such a fun and engrossing way, with great characters and that perfect mix of seriousness, weirdness and comedy that makes them just amazing.

Anyway. No next gen console here but for me it's definitely from Software Games. They just make the type of games I like to such an amazing degree that whenever I'm playing one of them it's hard not to wish some other games would do things in a similar way. Be it the level design, art direction, combat, loot system, etc.

Last edited:

DOSS216

pkXRFKh.jpg

MGSV puts all other stealth action games to shame. The AI, gameplay, detection, etc. truly felt next gen at the time. Playing AC Origins after I finished Witcher 3 and MGSV, I felt so bored and couldn't help but notice it took inspiration from both of those games, but did such a mediocre job of replicating the two.

Is it the story aspect that's standing out?

If so, can totally understand why Outer Worlds (and a lesser extent, WL3) don't shine quite as brightly - the stories just aren't super great. Outer Worlds' story and companions actually feels "meh," which was surprising from Obsidian.

It's weird that with all the advancing tech, the stories somehow don't seem to keep pace, and it's one of the easiest things to "budget" for.

Totally agree about Max Payne 3.

I'd add Horizon Zero Dawn to the open world list. Only open world game I've played where I stopped every 5 minutes to take a screenshot, sometimes multiple ones. I loved traveling and seeing the ruins / beautiful environments.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Is it the story aspect that's standing out?

If so, can totally understand why Outer Worlds (and a lesser extent, WL3) don't shine quite as brightly - the stories just aren't super great. Outer Worlds' story and companions actually feels "meh," which was surprising from Obsidian.

It's weird that with all the advancing tech, the stories somehow don't seem to keep pace, and it's one of the easiest things to "budget" for.
Yeah it’s the story which for some reason hits me in all the right places. It’s soooo good. I love the goofy side quests too, lots of them have me literally laughing out loud.

Outer Worlds is a weird one. It’s exactly the sort of game I usually get lost in and absolutely love but it just didn’t do much for me. The story never hooked me and most all the characters were forgettable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valentino

Wow I could never do that. Specifically for the reason you said. I went from Last of Us 2 straight in to my first run of Spiderman. It just wasn't working. My mind was still in the world of Last of Us. And it fully hindered my experience with Spiderman which was very blatantly a brilliant game....I just can't jump from world to world. Surprised you guys can do it. Especially when you all bang on about immersion breaking in games

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I could never do that. Specifically for the reason you said. I went from Last of Us 2 straight in to my first run of Spiderman. It just wasn't working. My mind was still in the world of Last of Us. And it fully hindered my experience with Spiderman which was very blatantly a brilliant game....I just can't jump from world to world. Surprised you guys can do it. Especially when you all bang on about immersion breaking in games
For me, it’s like watching multiple tv shows of different genres

I’m mostly juggling Valhalla and Yakuza 0, they’re so different it’s not hard for me to switch back and forth

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Look, I know I'm probably wrong about this, but Yakuza comes across as the videogame embodiment of "LoL, sO rAnDom! Haha!". Like, absurdity simply for the sake of absurdity.

The reputation of the franchise speaks against this, but I'm just saying that is how it comes across from previews and the constant gifs of talking pigs, funky dancing, and other silly mini games.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Look, I know I'm probably wrong about this, but Yakuza comes across as the videogame embodiment of "LoL, sO rAnDom! Haha!". Like, absurdity simply for the sake of absurdity.

The reputation of the franchise speaks against this, but I'm just saying that is how it comes across from previews and the constant gifs of talking pigs, funky dancing, and other silly mini games.
So far this is the most engrossing, well told story I’ve ever experienced in a video game

it’s better than any crime film, show or book I’ve ever encountered, and it’s not even close

Awesome. I played Judgement this year and loved how it combined Yakuza with a detective/serial killer story.

Gonna play like a dragon first because I want to enjoy a yakuza game that has different combat, but it's great to know with all these awesome yakuza games I've played, that Y0 is typically regarded as the best and is still in my future.

Obviously there's something about Yakuza's uniquely Japanese vibe that makes the series so great, but I actually kind of feel there is an old fashioned fun action action adventure vibe to Yakuza that is in western stories, but only older ones from the 80's and 90's. When action movies were fun and earnest instead of being self conscious and ironic.

bender

What time is it?
Awesome. I played Judgement this year and loved how it combined Yakuza with a detective/serial killer story.

Gonna play like a dragon first because I want to enjoy a yakuza game that has different combat, but it's great to know with all these awesome yakuza games I've played, that Y0 is typically regarded as the best and is still in my future.

Obviously there's something about Yakuza's uniquely Japanese vibe that makes the series so great, but I actually kind of feel there is an old fashioned fun action action adventure vibe to Yakuza that is in western stories, but only older ones from the 80's and 90's. When action movies were fun and earnest instead of being self conscious and ironic.

I wish they would have leaned more into the investigation and court room mechanics in Judgement, but still a wonderful game.

I can see why you'd think that but the games or more like older Chinese or Hong Kong films where they'd try to offer something for everyone (action, comedy, drama, romance, etc.). The absurd portions are the easiest things to reference so that's why they'll be discussed so much, but there is a lot more to the games than just gags.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Yakuza 0 takes place in the 80s, which just adds to all of this in such a delightful way

dalekjay

Same for me but in my case it’s gears tatics

Tetris on quick resume is awesome for a little 10min fun, but gears took away even that

TonyK

I played in a row Judgment, Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and now I'm playing Kiwami 2, so I can understand you. I never have played a Yakuza game and it has been an amazing experience.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I played in a row Judgment, Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and now I'm playing Kiwami 2, so I can understand you. I never have played a Yakuza game and it has been an amazing experience.
How does Kiwami hold up right after playing 0?

I just started playing Fallen Order cause of Gamepass and I usually avoid Star Wars games, they aren’t my thing but I caught my interest and gave it a go last night.

Well, I’m glad I did because so far I’m absolutely loving it. I had to double check it was actually an EA published game to make sure.

Long live Gamepass.

Last edited:

Fahdis

pkXRFKh.jpg

MGSV puts all other stealth action games to shame. The AI, gameplay, detection, etc. truly felt next gen at the time. Playing AC Origins after I finished Witcher 3 and MGSV, I felt so bored and couldn't help but notice it took inspiration from both of those games, but did such a mediocre job of replicating the two.

One of the worst opinions I've read all day. MGS V was only fun because of D-Dog and Quiet. My asshole could fart out a better story (lets leave that to MGS3 and MGS). Gameplay mechanics were great though especially with the Bionic Arm. Also Afghanistan and the mission structure are my balls. Think Hideo Kojima's name is etched into my friend's asshole by now.

Witcher 3 is great, but that abysmal fighting mechanic and animations for them are horrible. Besides that, amazing world and Geralt is truly a legend with friends and love interests.

AC Origins has the story, the beautiful world of Ptolemic Egypt, the story, the protagonist (perhaps one of the best in years). The animations could be better for fighting and the parkour is now basic, but god damn its an amazing game. Don't ever compare MGSV trash to this game, ever. Odyssey and Valhalla feel like Trash in hindsight.

DonJorginho

Banned
One of the worst opinions I've read all day. MGS V was only fun because of D-Dog and Quiet. My asshole could fart out a better story (lets leave that to MGS3 and MGS). Gameplay mechanics were great though especially with the Bionic Arm. Also Afghanistan and the mission structure are my balls. Think Hideo Kojima's name is etched into my friend's asshole by now.

Witcher 3 is great, but that abysmal fighting mechanic and animations for them are horrible. Besides that, amazing world and Geralt is truly a legend with friends and love interests.

AC Origins has the story, the beautiful world of Ptolemic Egypt, the story, the protagonist (perhaps one of the best in years). The animations could be better for fighting and the parkour is now basic, but god damn its an amazing game. Don't ever compare MGSV trash to this game, ever. Odyssey and Valhalla feel like Trash in hindsight.
You make no sense, DOSS216 DOSS216 brought up the AI AND GAMEPLAY, yet you say his opinion is terrible as the STORY sucks?

Last edited:

PooBone

Yeah, it’s a kickass game, still my favorite of 0 through 6. I have Judgment but am still very, early and haven’t tried Like A Dragon yet.

DustQueen

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 3 still makes entire fucking industry suck it's huge, creative, beautiful dick that explodes with some impressive concept every hour of gameplay.
I am gay for MGS3 you all should be too!

It puts everything to shame IMHO and also I am 100% right on this

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Playing any generic corridor shooter after playing F.E.A.R feels like putting a cactus up your ass: not fun at all.

DOSS216

How was Ac Origins' story amazing? It was one of the worst things about that game. It's pacing was all over the place. It's like the game wanted to put you into the action from the very beginning without any explanation. I bet a lot of players didn't even know the first gameplay part was a year after Bayek kills the guy with the mask in the opening cutscene. The ending also had horrendous pacing it's like the game was about to end after the Assassin symbol was made from the bird skull, but nope here's another section with Layla with William. After that the game still hasn't ended because there's another section with Aya killing Caesar and goes back to Bayek forging the Assassins and that's when the game officially ends. The characters are also really bad. Bayek was the only good character in the whole game, while the others were so underwhelming. The son was nothing but a plot device, we never got to know anything more about him rather than he was the son of our main protagonist so we should feel bad. Aya was insufferable, the devs was trying portray as this really important character to the main character that we can control like Ciri in the Witcher 3, but completely falls flat because we never got the chance to engage with her character as Bayek and Aya never to talk to each other like human beings. Whenever they meet up they either have sex or talk about the plan to avenge their son. I get the devs were trying portray them like a broken marriage but it definitely didn't work because we never got to know more about Aya other than badass woman with broken past. Also I can't believe they tried to make us feel sad for death of the friend character that had such small amount of screen time at the very beginning of the game. Don't even get me started the villains, they may be the worst villains I ever seen in a video game. I could go on for much more talking how bad this story is but this post is getting too long.

Guilty_AI

I can understand having multiple games in progress, but playing them all at once while switching between? How do you even manage to pay attention to any of the games like that

mancs

Disco Elysium will hopefully get a release on next gen, truly a wonderful game of games , enlightening.

Red Dead Redemption 2 put every game ever released to shame bar one, Witcher 3.

And it will most likely stay that way until Rockstar releases next masterpiece.

Top Bottom