• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When movie critics are wrong.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have seen the movie Meet Joe Black many times, I have seen that the movie has had strong criticism, but it really is a good and a great movie.

At least for me, it is one of the best that Brad Pitt has done.

It's annoying that there are movies that give a rating of 10 or 9 when they really don't deserve it or even worse ( New trilogy of Star wars)... when they are nominated for Academy Awards, when there are better movies.

Simpler example, always Pixar even if they make an inferior movie, always any of their movies is a Winner.

Is there another example of films that have been condemned or very poorly valued by critics, when the audience says otherwise?

teezzy

Banned
MV5BN2Q5YjBkZGEtMmJkZC00NzFkLTliZTYtNmQ2OTk1ODdiODdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

I think this article has examples of what you're looking for.

I'd argue the #1 reason a movie will be more well-liked by critics than wider audiences is (say it with me): "subverting expectations". Critics see hundreds of movies, and I'd bet they cherish novelty when it appears. Throw an extra 10pts on the 0-100 scale solely due to it being something not really seen before. Examples being The Last Jedi, Us, Sausage Party, and Spy Kids--all of these play out or have points-of-view that don't align with most genre fare. Haven't seen Captain Marvel so I can't speak to that one.

Vice versa, a movie that audiences like that critics don't tend to be more "predictable" and have likable characters (or at least characters that show socially positive growth by the end). The Greatest Showman, We're the Millers, and Passengers. You probably have an idea of how those movies are going to end once you know the setup. Haven't seen Don't Look Up, so I'm not sure about that one.

Critics want to be "challenged". Audiences want to be "entertained".

Curious to hear what other people think.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Any recommandation ?
Depends on what genre you like!
Titane, double lover and young and beautiful are 3 French movies that would not happen in Hollywood
Full on nudity. Although the story is not perfect in any of those, it’s refreshing and different.

If you want more recommendations let me know

I agree I remember some critics tying to make up some really deep meaning for that Netflix trilogy movie that is so forgettable I forgot the names it was dates I think…
Fear Street Trilogy?

Yeah I tend to disagree with critics on movies and shows nowadays

Most of them are woke/feminazi trash nowadays. Including the comic movies. It's interesting seeing such a decline in entertainment in the past 5 to 8 years

Zeroing

Banned
Fear Street Trilogy?

Yeah I tend to disagree with critics on movies and shows nowadays

Most of them are woke/feminazi trash nowadays. Including the comic movies. It's interesting seeing such a decline in entertainment in the past 5 to 8 years
Oh yeah that one! I’m gay so I do not care about all that stuff I just think Hollywood makes stupid movies that caters to people and critics try to find deep meanings as if the movie Is some masterpiece…when in reality, movies have became soulless.

And that’s why I watch mostly foreign movies! No agendas, no Hollywood boring formulas. Creative and good storytelling is still valued outside Hollywood.

mcjmetroid

Simpler example, always Pixar even if they make an inferior movie, always any of their movies is a Winner.

Is there another example of films that have been condemned or very poorly valued by critics, when the audience says otherwise?
This happens a lot with the Pixar movies even though there are better nomstions films.
Wolfwalkers lost out that year and it's one of the best animation movies in years.

Ionian

Who the fuck reads or listens to critics? Are you not an adult?
I listen to Mark Kermode, only dude I trust really with the time I have. Have hated films he liked, and loved films he didn't. But I saw films I wouldn't have without his reviews.

Reviewers are important to bring attention to a release. Used to be but i'll stick to the old format. Blunt, your spend your money you get X.

Does it for me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Who the fuck reads or listens to critics? Are you not an adult?
Yeah an adult with a job, responsibilities, and not enough time to watch hundreds of movies of unknown quality. That said you shouldn't be taking a critics word as gospel, but even a negative review can tell you that you will like the movie if you understand the reviews context.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yeah an adult with a job, responsibilities, and not enough time to watch hundreds of movies of unknown quality. That said you shouldn't be taking a critics word as gospel, but even a negative review can tell you that you will like the movie if you understand the reviews context.

So you'd rather blindly consume based on someone elses opinion. Everyone has time. Trailers and previews are enough to judge what kind of movie or show or game you're going in for. Whether you like it or not applies the same way as if a critic recommends it. But hey, you be you.

xandaca

I unabashedly love this movie (and used to be a film critic!) and the fact the tagline is 'This Time You Can't Change The Channel' only reinforces that Tom Green was definitely trolling everyone with it. Funnily enough, Roger Ebert sort-of softened on the movie, acknowledging that it was ambitious and memorable, even if he still thought it a failure. Personally, I think it's hysterical from start to finish and laugh like an idiot every time that child gets grievously injured (particularly the last one with the helicopter and the "I'm OK, daddy!" from off-screen after a crowd has been showered in his blood, clearly a gag about the stupid 'solutions' censors will accept to scenes they deem unacceptable.)

tommib

Depends on what genre you like!
Titane, double lover and young and beautiful are 3 French movies that would not happen in Hollywood
Full on nudity. Although the story is not perfect in any of those, it’s refreshing and different.

If you want more recommendations let me know
Titane was by far the best film I saw last year.

Saw it again recently with my sister and after the shock value of the first viewing it becomes super moving. It’s just a tragedy about lost sons and absent fathers. What a masterpiece that is.

poppabk

But opinions are subjective, you may disagree with a review but it doesn’t make the reviewer wrong. If it’s a well written review you should at least be able to understand the point of view of the review and where the reviewer is coming from.
I pretty much agree but sometimes a review can be so bad that it transcends subjective opinions and is outright wrong.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Hollywood Trades got a hate boner for it. Deadline spent over a year shitting on it before release to try to torpedo it and force it to bomb.
I wish they didn’t as I want some sequels to this. Yeah it’s hammy. But so what?

DKehoe

So you'd rather blindly consume based on someone elses opinion. Everyone has time. Trailers and previews are enough to judge what kind of movie or show or game you're going in for. Whether you like it or not applies the same way as if a critic recommends it. But hey, you be you.
Criticism goes beyond just whether or not you should pay money for a ticket to see something.

Last edited:

poppabk

I mean I would rather assess a reviewers opinion than the ads created by the company trying to sell me on the film. I've seen plenty of hilarious trailers that were pretty much all the funny bits in the movie. Seen plenty of balls to the wall action trailers for movies that ended up being slow paced thrillers with a few action set-pieces. There are trailers out there with clips or even actors that aren't in the actual movie.
A critics opinion doesn't have to match mine as long as they provide enough detail in their review to let me make my own opinion on whether I would enjoy it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I mean I would rather assess a reviewers opinion than the ads created by the company trying to sell me on the film. I've seen plenty of hilarious trailers that were pretty much all the funny bits in the movie. Seen plenty of balls to the wall action trailers for movies that ended up being slow paced thrillers with a few action set-pieces. There are trailers out there with clips or even actors that aren't in the actual movie.
A critics opinion doesn't have to match mine as long as they provide enough detail in their review to let me make my own opinion on whether I would enjoy it.
Critics are incredibly influenced by many factors when writting a review. It may seem accurate but its not set in stone. Ive seen critics blatantly making up bs so same shit. Trailers are ads but they are still a visual representation of the movie which u can asess. Point is just watch the media if ure interested, youre an adult, its part of life to either enjoy or not something you purchase. Id rather make a mistake based on my own choices than be a slave to others opinions. Good luck with that.

Billbofet

I read the article posted above and out of the movies listed, I would say Last Jedi and Sausage Party stand out most for me.

Last Jedi was a headscratcher for me as on no level at all was it entertaining or good. The story was just a series of subversions and the 12 seconds of action were meh. I don't HATE it, but I am shocked at how strongly it was defended by critics and essentially turned a large portion of the fanbase off to a property they had loved for years. I'm not the biggest SW fan out there, but this movie was for sure the turning point for me. I think more proof is the fact that my children hate it. I never shared my opinion of it with them or actively influenced their take on it - they just hate it - and they enjoyed Moonfall.

Sausage Party was only funny for the fact of how unfunny it was. It was a two-minute bit carried out for 90 minutes. Moonfall was funnier and didn't even try to be funny.

Pejo

Love this movie. The RLM re:view for this was great:

Tom Green was one of those "flash in the pan" things that was amazing and could never happen again. The closest I've felt to watching his shtick was Nathan Fielder's stuff (Nathan for You, How To With John Wilson) and the Ali G/Early Borat stuff. This movie was completely different than his usual style, but amazing for different reasons. Mostly because he seems to have been actively rebelling against the industry that wanted him to make a movie to cash in on his moment of stardom. I still sing the "daddy would you like some sausages" song from time to time, but I don't think most people get the reference.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

I think this article has examples of what you're looking for.

I'd argue the #1 reason a movie will be more well-liked by critics than wider audiences is (say it with me): "subverting expectations". Critics see hundreds of movies, and I'd bet they cherish novelty when it appears. Throw an extra 10pts on the 0-100 scale solely due to it being something not really seen before. Examples being The Last Jedi, Us, Sausage Party, and Spy Kids--all of these play out or have points-of-view that don't align with most genre fare. Haven't seen Captain Marvel so I can't speak to that one.

Vice versa, a movie that audiences like that critics don't tend to be more "predictable" and have likable characters (or at least characters that show socially positive growth by the end). The Greatest Showman, We're the Millers, and Passengers. You probably have an idea of how those movies are going to end once you know the setup. Haven't seen Don't Look Up, so I'm not sure about that one.

Critics want to be "challenged". Audiences want to be "entertained".

Curious to hear what other people think.
People didn't like "Us?" Huh.

Top Bottom