• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think PSVR2 is coming?

When is PSVR2 coming?

Votes: 65 54.2%

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • 2024-End of PS5s life

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Sometime after the death of the PS5

Votes: 15 12.5%

• Total voters

Calverz

OP you realise what jim ryan said effectively translates into “we’re waiting to see if its worth our time and money”
Which means it may never come. 5% install base out of 100m+ consoles is poor. Maybe they are cutting their losses

Arkam

They’re going to make it wireless, so I’m sure it’ll take a while. Wired VR is a corpse, so they’re right to do so. Quest 2 already proving the much better viability of wireless. If Sony can’t do PSVR2 without wires, they really shouldn’t bother.
Agreed. That is probably the biggest factor. When can they bring a wireless (battery/latency) to market for ~$300 (Visor only).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They’re going to make it wireless, so I’m sure it’ll take a while. Wired VR is a corpse, so they’re right to do so. Quest 2 already proving the much better viability of wireless. If Sony can’t do PSVR2 without wires, they really shouldn’t bother.

I would assume the Quest 2 means Sony would be capable of going wireless relatively soon.

But I don't know how talking with a PS5 differs than having your guts built into the headset.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I would assume the Quest 2 means Sony would be capable of going wireless relatively soon.

But I don't know how talking with a PS5 differs than having your guts built into the headset.

I guess the power of the Ps5 could allow for higher quality games than the Quest 2... if the information can be translated up to the headset wirelessly. That’s the big problem. If they can work that out, it’s worth pursuing, but another wired headset is dead in the water.

Starhowl

Seriously? Didn't people already have enough from the first one? I guess it must be the way a Sony Entertainment customer functions: They really love to get things told and when it's bad, they just acept and take it.

Last edited:

Romulus

I hope is they invest heavily in foveated rendering. VR already blows away regular gaming in immersion, but this technology will help VR surpass monitor/TV games in visuals too. It's already a thing, it just needs further implementation.

Romulus

Seriously? Didn't people already have enough from the first one?

It was actually the best peripheral I've ever owned by a huge stretch. Many agree and compare it directly to many consoles by itself, but as an add on. It's just unmatched when you look at previous peripherals and their offerings. It just needs an overhaul with all the new tech coming.

Just like current psvr: 2 years from release of the console

at this point I don't care, they lost a customer. I'll be playing Dirt Rally 2 and Project Cars games in VR on my Quest 2 while PS5 brings exactly ZERO benefits to current psvr...

by 2022, probably Quest 3 is here as is streamable VR games from Facebook game cloud services so I just have no more use for the extra power PS5 would afford psvr right now and besides psvr2 will likely benefit better from PS5 Pro down the road.

Wonko_C

Quoting from what someone posted on Era, which mirrors my exact thoughts:

"I think Jim Ryan's words has been widely misinterpreted on ResetEra. He said that the mass-market VR future is years off but he didn't state the PSVR2 was. He was just signaling that this is a longer uphill battle but one they're keen to participate within."
Misrepresented everywhere actually, if I may add.

PSVR1 released 3 years after the PS4, I expect PSVR2 to follow suit.

Last edited:
Would love for one to arrive in 2021, but Sony's focus clearly seems to be elsewhere. So fingers crossed for 2022.

IMO they are wise to put out a refresh, primarily because FB is manhandling Oculus and there are buyers to poach to expand the platform's install base.

Not soon enough, OP. Not soon enough.

Fingers crossed for Holiday 2021, though it'll probably be 2022 in reality. Let the PS5 get in to the hands of everyone who wants one.

PS5 - 2020+2021
PSVR2 - 2022
PS5 Slim - 2023
PSVR2 lite - 2024

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You mean Version 3, version 2 came out less then a year after version 1

chasimus

May/June 2022. They'll have two holiday seasons of sales behind them giving them over 20 million PS5s to work with at that point.

reptilex

Banned
It's not coming anytime soon, if not at all given Jim Ryan's statement, the state of the VR market and the complete absence of signal that Sony has anything for show.

schaft0620

I have been covering PSVR for a few years now and I would say Q1 2022 or not at all. Facebook bought a lot of the teams working on PSVR games. Sony is essentially throwing in the towel on the current PSVR running on the PS5 and PSVR for 2021. Now, is that because they are unloading in 2022? Or are they moving away from PSVR?

ACESHIGH

Banned
The only reason I'd buy a PS5 is if PSVR2 is released and has enhanced BC with PSVR games. Otherwise I'll keep my old PC. Shiny graphics with the same old controller does not do it for me anymore.

Codes 208

As much as I really want to crack another joke regarding my disdain for VR, psvr wasn’t that bad. It’s just that I generally get motion sick from the lower resolution and controls when compared to something like the vive or oculus has pushed me more into disliking it than anything. But when it works (beat saber) boy it REALLY fucking works.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
She's dead Jim.

I think Jim Ryans recent statement is just the start of trying to control the narrative of putting it out to pasture. They're not going to keep investing significant money into a niche that ~3% of people that own the second highest selling console of all time bought into. It's just not financially viable because the general public has spoken and said they don't care about it.

Much like they did with 3D, they pushed it hard and went all in, the public spoke and overwhelmingly said they didn't care, so they gave up. VR is next.

I want VR, but it just isn't amazing for gaming. Too many drawbacks. I want it to be able to watch sporting events, concerts, movies, go to travel spots, etc, but it's just too limiting for gaming.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
2023 at the earliest. Sony's silence on their VR plans was one of the major things that cooled my enthusiasm for PS5. I'd love another VR headset by Sony.

Romulus

She's dead Jim.

I think Jim Ryans recent statement is just the start of trying to control the narrative of putting it out to pasture. They're not going to keep investing significant money into a niche that ~3% of people that own the second highest selling console of all time bought into. It's just not financially viable because the general public has spoken and said they don't care about it.

Much like they did with 3D, they pushed it hard and went all in, the public spoke and overwhelmingly said they didn't care, so they gave up. VR is next.

I want VR, but it just isn't amazing for gaming. Too many drawbacks. I want it to be able to watch sporting events, concerts, movies, go to travel spots, etc, but it's just too limiting for gaming.

You're not paying attention. VR is showing that it does sell when the tech and price is right. Oculus is proving that. Psvr was extremely outdated on day one and it's still the same price as the Quest 2 lol, with far crappier tech. Sony clearly said they'll be back and they will learn from psvr1's mistakes, which were glaring.

And yet they still sold well over 5 million in half of the ps4s life cycle. That's the key people purposely ignore. You can easily assume itbwoukd have sold 10 million otherwise, maybe 15 if the tech was decent.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You're not paying attention. VR is showing that it does sell when the tech and price is right. Oculus is proving that. Psvr was extremely outdated on day one and it's still the same price as the Quest 2 lol, with far crappier tech. Sony clearly said they'll be back and they will learn from psvr1's mistakes, which were glaring.

And yet they still sold well over 5 million in half of the ps4s life cycle. That's the key people purposely ignore. You can easily assume itbwoukd have sold 10 million otherwise, maybe 15 if the tech was decent.
I'm paying attention. 5 million to a userbase of over 100 million. No one is ignoring it, in fact I'm literally pointing the figures out lol. They're bad sales.

Romulus

I'm paying attention. 5 million to a userbase of over 100 million. No one is ignoring it, in fact I'm literally pointing the figures out lol. They're bad sales.

5 million is 3 years for crappy, expensive tech is actually incredible.That equals 10 million in a generation. Not only that, the software sales were very high. Exclusives were charting at #1 on the UK best seller lists compared to an install base over 20x larger on regular ps4. Sony knows that they come stronger with better tech, they dont need 50 million sales to be profitable. Not even close. VR users by games. That's the point. They punch above their install base.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
5 million is 3 years for crappy, expensive tech is actually incredible.That equals 10 million in a generation. Not only that, the software sales were very high. Exclusives were charting at #1 on the UK best seller lists compared to an install base over 20x larger on regular ps4. Sony knows that they come stronger with better tech, they dont need 50 million sales to be profitable. Not even close. VR users by games. That's the point. They punch above their install base.
It's crappy, yes. How did kinect sell? It still died.

VR users might buy games, no one is denying that. You haven't addressed me point, which is that people just don't want VR for game consoles. PSVR was a cheap way to get into VR for 100+ million PS4 owners, and less than 5% wanted to.

Top Bottom