• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When can we expect games being made exclusively for ps5/XSX without last gen support.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
That's 3 years away. That's almost time for the next-next gen. I think next year will be next-gen only titles with a few cross-gen games.
Hahahaha! NO way! With the global chip shortages I don't see a new generation coming to atleast 2026 but probably much longer than that.

It's not like we haven't has ANY next-gen only games come out or about to come out.

Astro's Playroom
Deathloop
Demon's Souls
Destruction All-Stars
Final Fantasy XVI
Forspoken
Ghostwire Tokyo
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal

Don't know if anyone else has pointed this out yet, but clearly the biggest difference will be CPU. As nice as prettier graphics are, what's going to make games feel like next-gen will be how developers utilize the massive leap in CPU performance as compared to PS4/Xbox One.

samoilaaa

Don't know if anyone else has pointed this out yet, but clearly the biggest difference will be CPU. As nice as prettier graphics are, what's going to make games feel like next-gen will be how developers utilize the massive leap in CPU performance as compared to PS4/Xbox One.
think about games like tomb raider/uncharted , we will have more complex environmental puzzles

SeraphJan

Probably someone in thread already mentioned this but you have Starfall coming out and that's only for pc and Series, so I guess that game isn't getting held back beyond Series S specs. And then you also have A Plague Tale 2, with no release on last gen.
The first Plague Tale is a masterpiece for me, this series deserves more love.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this. Not before:
- the PS5/XB user base grows large enough to make current-gen games profitable
- games become near impossible to run flawlessly on last-gen consoles
- the whole chip issue is solved

So I'm thinking late 2023 at the earliest. Not that I'm complaining.

A few other thoughts:
- I find it curious that launch titles like Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank kinda got forgotten. Maybe not that many players?
- People were begging for the PS5 for years, but I still think it was released too early. There aren't many games that are truly next-gen and the cross-gen phase isn't going away any time soon.
- The PS5 is going to last longer than the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if by 2032 we are still playing on it.

Given that the architecture is the same, the underlying OS is the same for both major consoles and game engines are more scalable than ever before it's not likely that we will see many games that exclude PS4/XOne based systems.

I'm not even sure where the hard on for that comes from? You're just building yourself up for a whole world of disappointment if you think the compute jump means we will see something on PS5/SeriesX that cant be done on PS4/XOne just at a lower resolution and with effects scaled back.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I was just thinking about this. Not before:
- the PS5/XB user base grows large enough to make current-gen games profitable
- games become near impossible to run flawlessly on last-gen consoles
- the whole chip issue is solved

So I'm thinking late 2023 at the earliest. Not that I'm complaining.

A few other thoughts:
- I find it curious that launch titles like Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank kinda got forgotten. Maybe not that many players?
- People were begging for the PS5 for years, but I still think it was released too early. There aren't many games that are truly next-gen and the cross-gen phase isn't going away any time soon.
- The PS5 is going to last longer than the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if by 2032 we are still playing on it.
Especially consider how powerful RDNA3 is, the mid gen refresh of both Xbox and Playstation is going to last quite long.

Last edited:

Amiga

The smart business move by Sony is to keep PS4 alive indefinitely and have it as the cheep entry device to their services. sell a super slim $200 edition.

Roufianos

At ~114 million ps4 units installed, not any time soon, as they’d be eliminating a massive portion of potential sales. Much easier to develop for the ps4 and then sprinkle on some RT shadows to placate the next gen users. Case and point, Horizon 2 is a $10 upgrade for the ps4 buyers if I remember correctly
I think 'a massive portion' might be an overexageration. Sales on last-gen were dwarfed by current-gen pretty much all of last year.

Even Horizon only sold 1/3 with a PS4 and you'd have to assume a huge chunk of that was PS5 owners looking to get the free upgrade.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Hahahaha! NO way! With the global chip shortages I don't see a new generation coming to atleast 2026 but probably much longer than that.
Yeah. I know. I was being a little sarcastic. Even 2026 seems too soon. Considering there have been few next-gen only titles so far.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'll hi five the first 3rd party dev that will make a game only on PS5 and Xbox Series X with no Xbox Series S release. Tho i dont think this will ever happen.
The medium and serious Sam 4 doesn't support xbox one / ps4.

Given that the architecture is the same, the underlying OS is the same for both major consoles and game engines are more scalable than ever before it's not likely that we will see many games that exclude PS4/XOne based systems.

I'm not even sure where the hard on for that comes from? You're just building yourself up for a whole world of disappointment if you think the compute jump means we will see something on PS5/SeriesX that cant be done on PS4/XOne just at a lower resolution and with effects scaled back.
This is absolutely not true. You can scale back graphics to run at lower resolution and what not, but you can't scale back a game built from the ground up on PS5/Series consoles that fully utilize the massive performance leap from a CPU perspective. That gap grows even more so when you consider the current gen consoles have further lightened the load off the CPU by taking all decompression and sound off of it (and some other OS related stuff). Not to mention memory and storage capabilities. After all, you don't see the Demons Souls remake on PS4 do you? Bluepoint has even said they haven't fully tapped out the PS5 for that game. Those games are coming, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy playing last gen games at higher resolution and framerate.

FlyyGOD

It's not like we haven't has ANY next-gen only games come out or about to come out.

Astro's Playroom
Deathloop
Demon's Souls
Destruction All-Stars
Final Fantasy XVI
Forspoken
Ghostwire Tokyo
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Destruction Allstars really? You think that game couldn't be done on old consoles? Most of those games could be run on ps4.

Destruction Allstars really? You think that game couldn't be done on old consoles? Most of those games could be run on ps4.
Did I say that? I think 95% of PS4 games could be done on PS3.

95% of games that will be only on PS5/Series X COULD also be done on PS4/Xbox One.

A game being current-gen only doesn't make it good, nor does a cross-gen game indicate it isn't.

Also, the scope and production values of games are much more likely to be limited by the budget of the game than which platform it runs on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom