• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When can we expect games being made exclusively for ps5/XSX without last gen support.

ByWatterson

Series S availability and Gamepass obviating the worry about sales figures makes me think Microsoft will move pretty swiftly.

Sony is in a bit of a bind.

So probably first half of 2023 for Microsoft, second half into 2024 for Sony.

samoilaaa

That implies devs always use the higher GPU/RAM power just to change some "graphical settings/presets"...

What if they want to use that power to make something boldly different?

They can't because the game MUST run on the base hardware...
give an example of something bodly different
cpu does one thing and gpu does one thing , its easier to scale down the things that the gpu does , u cant scale down what the cpu+ssd does

Last edited:
give an example of something bodly different
cpu does one thing and gpu does one thing , its easier to scale down the things that the gpu does , u cant scale down what the cpu+ssd does

After just 1 year Xbox Series S is struggling with 1080p/60 fps ...

It was advertised as a 1440p/60 fps console...

Dying Light 2 and Cyberbunk are limited to 30 fps....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox will stay cross-gen forever as Series S exists anyway....

They will drop Xbox One but they can't drop Series S

GIF by Giphy QA

You're giving examples with a game that runs at 1080p on both PS5 and SX for 60 FPS and another which is notorious for how terribly it ran on all hardware and needed a years worth of patching to get it on an acceptable state.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

did u watch the video ?
considering that u keep bringing up resolution its obvious that u didnt , i dont even know why i talk to you , u couldnt even answer my question

Zeroing

Banned
When have people complained about being abandoned after 2yrs of a new gen?

I cant believe people are defending cross gen, especially on the sony side. Where sony + sony fans were avocates for new generations and new gen exclusives. Seems like the fans are just going in the direction of the wind.
I am not defending it, I’m just saying that people will complain no matter what, and gave examples about the possible reasons of why cross gen games are being made!

also that “Sony fans” thing seems like some are just here to fuel drama! If MS was doing the same thing as Sony I bet most of the posts were wouldn’t be so incendiary.

Bottom line is, not everyone can get a next gen console easily because of the chips shortages!

FrankWza

It was supposed to be the same experience as series x but at lower resolution. Not all games on PS5 and series x will max out the specs. But game to game, it was supposed to be exactly the same features at lower res.

did u watch the video ?
considering that u keep bringing up resolution its obvious that u didnt , i dont even know why i talk to you , u couldnt even answer my question

Then don't talk to me... But stop saying that Series S can do the same things as Series X at lower resolution.... It''s a marketing lie

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Really it’s just a placebo effect. if there isn’t anything else to compare against you just happily assume it would be different if there was a last gen version.

FrankWza

But some games are already cutting the frame rate in half... So...
Yeah absolutely. That’s why the cyberpunk situation is so telling. They did get to 1440p but weren’t able to include a 60fps mode or ray tracing and the devs said they “don’t know if this will be possible “

Kokoloko85

I dont think Spiderman 2 will be cross gen.

Because of the chip shortages its not gonna be business as usual. Otherwise this year would of probably been the last year for cross gen.

Its sad we got more 1st party PS5 exclusives in the first year ( Demon Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal ) then this year…..0

Playing Horizon 2 in person made me realise how much better looking it is than horizon 1 on PS4 and at 60fps. But I still I cant wait for how Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Guerilla do with PS5 exclusives without having the PS4 to hold it back

Probably late 2024 to never at the rate we are going. At least not until they get the inventory issue well under control which is looking like it will still be a long time.

Last edited:
I'm starting to really wonder what are some people's realistic expectations of what "next gen" games consist of? People keep saying x,y,z game is cross-gen, but....

As if some game is going to unlock some special sauce in the power brick of their hardware.

There are much stronger GPU's out right now than last year when Sony and Microsoft released their consoles. We aren't going to see generational leaps like we did before. The fact that we can have real time forms of raytracing in consumer hardware is big. But it's not going to be as noticable to most, compared to when we went from 2D to 3D, or when Crysis released for example. Especially with developers trying to reach a target of native 4k.

Last edited:

magnumpy

I've been to the future in my time machine and can report that all console will become robotic dinosaurs. NFTs rule with an iron fist and the future is a dark dystopia :messenger_loudly_crying:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Putting GT7 and God of War 2 on PS4 is a crowning achievement that console is from 2013/2014/15

You make some good points, but I still reckon Sony would be very reluctant to let that game on another platform.

As I said previously, there are only two or three I.P that I think will stay exclusively on Playstation - and The Last of Us is one of them.
What are you basing it on?

Why would God of War which is significantly larger than Last of Us go but not the Last of Us?

The franchise is largely dead after part 2. Doubt they revisit anytime soon after remakes and directors cut and factions.

FrankieSab

Xbox will stay cross-gen forever as Series S exists anyway....

They will drop Xbox One but they can't drop Series S
Do not worry too much, they were able to squeeze heavy compute PC simulation like Flight Simulator. Series S has the same architecture as their bigger brothers.

Do not worry too much, they were able to squeeze heavy compute PC simulation like Flight Simulator. Series S has the same architecture as their bigger brothers.

I hope you are right as I have Series S as a Gamepass machine...

My main gaming device is a PS5 (with disc drive) so I am covered anyway

There are 3 different answer to this question depend how you see it.
1: Any game that started development before 2019/20 can't be next game only, because they didn't even know what is the machine that will run the games and answer like " they knew it will have SSD and 97.45Tf does not cut, it's like a customer come to my old work where I was carpenter and tell: I want something special it has to have 2 arms and be 4 sitter maybe it can be a sofa... Yeah doesn't work like that.
2: Any game that started development after 2019/20 will have better looking details/graphics but nothing groundbreaking, not better AI, physics etc because you can see what these machines can do if you see the pc graphics card space. A card that cost 1000 more than ps5/series X just have better graphics,FPS and lightning. So anything that comes the next 3 to 4 years will not have much difference with the old gen.
3: Unreal engine hast just released and any new game that will use it's benefits needs years and Dev to hone the tools will take even more and other Devs that use some other engine that will need to update theirs to the UE5 level will take time also. So I think first games with next gen functions will be the earliest at 2025.

Fbh

I'm starting to really wonder what are some people's realistic expectations of what "next gen" games consist of? People keep saying x,y,z game is cross-gen, but....

As if some game is going to unlock some special sauce in the power brick of their hardware.

There are much stronger GPU's out right now than last year when Sony and Microsoft released their consoles. We aren't going to see generational leaps like we did before. The fact that we can have real time forms of raytracing in consumer hardware is big. But it's not going to be as noticable to most, compared to when we went from 2D to 3D, or when Crysis released for example. Especially with developers trying to reach a target of native 4k.

Well the logic is that by ditching last gen hardware, games can take full advantage of the hardware on these new consoles without having to account for the technical limitations of the 9 years old specs on the Ps4/Xb1. Like for example some devs were talking about the advantages of having fast storage beyond just faster loading, but you can't make a game take advantage of that if you also have to ensure it works fine on old consoles with slow HDD's.
Games are too expensive to make now so no one is going to make 2 completely different versions of their game. They'll design their stuff for Ps4 and then use the extra horsepower on the Ps5 to increase textures, draw distance, resolution, etc.

It's the same as last gen really. Compare the visuals on an early cross gen game like Assasins Creed Black Flag with the visuals in a proper Ps4 only game like Infamous Second Son. Or the visuals in GTAV vs RDR2.

Then again any game that truly pushes these new consoles and delivers a true next gen looking game is probably going to run at something like 1440p and 30fps. At which point we can look forward to threads whining about cross gen being replaced by threads whining about 30fps and "weak consoles".

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I am not defending it, I’m just saying that people will complain no matter what, and gave examples about the possible reasons of why cross gen games are being made!

also that “Sony fans” thing seems like some are just here to fuel drama! If MS was doing the same thing as Sony I bet most of the posts were wouldn’t be so incendiary.

Bottom line is, not everyone can get a next gen console easily because of the chips shortages!

Just seems a weird thing to focus on from a customer perspective.
As a gamer Id rather wait a bit longer to get a console and it be current gen exclusive then it be cross gen.

MadPanda

Banned
Thats coming in 2022 aint it? Well I guess covid has effected things a bit. But put it this way, GT7, Horizon:FW and Ragnarok will be the last big sony cross gen games.
Which is still funny when we remember the outrage at Microsoft's cross gen comments at the end of 2019, beginning of 2020 and how everyone praised Sony for giving us real next gen only games.

Sosokrates

Which is still funny when we remember the outrage at Microsoft's cross gen comments at the end of 2019, beginning of 2020 and how everyone praised Sony for giving us real next gen only games.

Its just sad the lengths some people go just to defend a platform.

I dont know how anyone can be happy with cross gen lasting so long for AAA games.

Sosokrates

I'm not, but again I understand why they do it.

Again?
What are you talking about you said nothing of the sort on your first post to me. You seemed to be in complete agreement.

And now you sound like Zeroing

Alt account?

RexAnglo

Banned
What are you basing it on?

Why would God of War which is significantly larger than Last of Us go but not the Last of Us?

The franchise is largely dead after part 2. Doubt they revisit anytime soon after remakes and directors cut and factions.
The franchise isn't "largely dead".

If they announce a third game it'll attract massive interest.

As I say, this is only my opinion and I may well be wrong.

Riky

$MSFT
I'll hi five the first 3rd party dev that will make a game only on PS5 and Xbox Series X with no Xbox Series S release. Tho i dont think this will ever happen.

It won't, it's mandated by Microsoft. Same you couldn't do an Xbox One X game without including the original console.
Scaling graphics is the easiest though and now we have Steam Deck to think of with lower specs, the new baseline.

Riky

$MSFT
i agree that for third party developers that have to release their game on all platforms the series s will just be another console that they have to worry about but i think that they will manage , especialy the big dogs

Devs have been doing this forever on PC and that now shares the same GDK as Xbox Series consoles, it just depends when last gen engines die and how much optimization work the Devs want to do, hence the mixed results.

When we get the first party games using the full suite of RDNA2 features we will see much better results on both Series consoles.

Last edited:
I think the more likly outcome is they start releasing PS5 exclusives day one on PC too. But I agree the old way of doing things must be causing some debate over at sony.
The question is do they gain more from not having there games on PC? I dont think they would lose to many PS5 sales and I think they would make more money because of it.
PS5s are selling themselves and PC and consoles aren't really in competition. They aren't the same market even if it is the same hobby.

Like comparing the Wii and the PS3/360.

There are fundamental things that will prevent more casual fans from going PC. Form factor, ease of use, maintenance, upgradability, cost, e.t.c.

The franchise isn't "largely dead".

If they announce a third game it'll attract massive interest.

As I say, this is only my opinion and I may well be wrong.

Unless the Last of Us TV show just smashes it. I think Naughty Dog will move on to other things here. The whole zombie thing is running out of steam. LOU2 seriously underperformed and the danger in repeating that is too significant for a studio like Naughty Dog, who now finds themselves as the 2nd largest Sony dev studio. I think you'll see them ramp up and start working on new major IPs with more wide stream appeal similar to Uncharted.

When the next consoles get released then.
No way new consoles come out for 2025. There were 7 years between PS4 and PS5 and that was without covid.

I think we're looking at a minimum of 7 years and maybe, slightly longer.

Last edited:

RexAnglo

Banned
Unless the Last of Us TV show just smashes it. I think Naughty Dog will move on to other things here. The whole zombie thing is running out of steam. LOU2 seriously underperformed and the danger in repeating that is too significant for a studio like Naughty Dog, who now finds themselves as the 2nd largest Sony dev studio. I think you'll see them ramp up and start working on new major IPs with more wide stream appeal similar to Uncharted.

No way new consoles come out for 2025. There were 7 years between PS4 and PS5 and that was without covid.

I think we're looking at a minimum of 7 years and maybe, slightly longer.
I agree that the sequel was a disappointment for many fans...though a lot of journalists and Twitter people seemed to like it.

Now, whether they said that because they felt that, at least in their fevered and deranged minds, it was a blow for the oppressed and voiceless, only they know.

It definitely wasn't well received by the fans who loved the original and, perhaps, it was a way for them to rile those fans up and allow the scoring of cheap points against those they perceive as bigots and homophobes.

Either way, there was a disconnect between the fan reaction, and the wider "gaming community", and the mainstream activist types who pose as journalists at places like Kotaku and IGN.

My point being, it got 9s and 10s across the board, did well financially, has a huge fanbase built largely on the affection for the first game, and the work of Naughty Dog, and has a t.v show in production.

We both know any hint of a third game will generate huge interest and concrete confirmation will guarantee tons of press.

It would sell very well, I really don't think that's unfair to say...especially if it was revealed to have some genuinely interesting new gameplay mechanics, a beautiful setting, and utilising the power of the ps5.

I agree that the sequel was a disappointment for many fans...though a lot of journalists and Twitter people seemed to like it.

Now, whether they said that because they felt that, at least in their fevered and deranged minds, it was a blow for the oppressed and voiceless, only they know.

It definitely wasn't well received by the fans who loved the original and, perhaps, it was a way for them to rile those fans up and allow the scoring of cheap points against those they perceive as bigots and homophobes.

Either way, there was a disconnect between the fan reaction, and the wider "gaming community", and the mainstream activist types who pose as journalists at places like Kotaku and IGN.

My point being, it got 9s and 10s across the board, did well financially, has a huge fanbase built largely on the affection for the first game, and the work of Naughty Dog, and has a t.v show in production.

We both know any hint of a third game will generate huge interest and concrete confirmation will guarantee tons of press.

It would sell very well, I really don't think that's unfair to say...especially if it was revealed to have some genuinely interesting new gameplay mechanics, a beautiful setting, and utilising the power of the ps5.

I'm not with you on the reasons why the game underperformed and your focus on "activist types"

Did I like it as much as the 1st game? No. Did I think it was a masterpiece in gamemaking? Yes. I think my score for it was like a 7.5/10 or an 8. I thought it had problems with pacing especially, but I digress.

The fundamentals aren't there for the Last of Us. The Game sold 7 million copies on PS3 and the remaster sold 10 million copies. I think there was a lot of assumption that these were brand new players, when in reality there was a lot of overlap. I know I bought both. There aren't 17 million LOU players. There's probably closer to 10 million, maybe 12.

Ultimately, LOU2 probably sold like 5-6 million copies, which is somewhat in line with the first game, but when Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon, and Spider-Man are all doing 15-20 million, the expectations shift for a studio that size.

LOU3 isn't going to sell 15 million copies that just isn't in the franchise DNA, unless the TV show brings in a tremendous number of new players.

We'll see how Uncharted Lost Legacy performs over the next couple months and whether the movie helped it at all, but my guess is they're done with LOU and will move on to more tentpole-type games.

It's not just a question of whether it will sell, it's a matter of opportunity cost. Naughty Dog is going to want their next big titles to sell 15-20 million copies. They're not looking to lag behind Bungie, Santa Monica, Guerrilla, and Insomniac. And now they have to keep an eye on Sucker Punch as well.

RexAnglo

Banned
I'm not with you on the reasons why the game underperformed and your focus on "activist types"

Did I like it as much as the 1st game? No. Did I think it was a masterpiece in gamemaking? Yes. I think my score for it was like a 7.5/10 or an 8. I thought it had problems with pacing especially, but I digress.

The fundamentals aren't there for the Last of Us. The Game sold 7 million copies on PS3 and the remaster sold 10 million copies. I think there was a lot of assumption that these were brand new players, when in reality there was a lot of overlap. I know I bought both. There aren't 17 million LOU players. There's probably closer to 10 million, maybe 12.

Ultimately, LOU2 probably sold like 5-6 million copies, which is somewhat in line with the first game, but when Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon, and Spider-Man are all doing 15-20 million, the expectations shift for a studio that size.

LOU3 isn't going to sell 15 million copies that just isn't in the franchise DNA, unless the TV show brings in a tremendous number of new players.

We'll see how Uncharted Lost Legacy performs over the next couple months and whether the movie helped it at all, but my guess is they're done with LOU and will move on to more tentpole-type games.

It's not just a question of whether it will sell, it's a matter of opportunity cost. Naughty Dog is going to want their next big titles to sell 15-20 million copies. They're not looking to lag behind Bungie, Santa Monica, Guerrilla, and Insomniac. And now they have to keep an eye on Sucker Punch as well.
There isn't much to debate regarding the "activist bent" of many so called game journalists.

Go read some of their articles if you aren't convinced.

As for the rest, let's just agree to disagree.

Sosokrates

PS5s are selling themselves and PC and consoles aren't really in competition. They aren't the same market even if it is the same hobby.

Like comparing the Wii and the PS3/360.

There are fundamental things that will prevent more casual fans from going PC. Form factor, ease of use, maintenance, upgradability, cost, e.t.c.

Its already been proven that sony games sell well on PC.

The folks at sony cant like having to grow the installbase again.

Top Bottom