• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When can we expect games being made exclusively for ps5/XSX without last gen support.

Personally, I don't see those games you mentioned ever coming to pc.

Yes, of course, Sony needs to make money and offering pc versions does that.
But, they also have to keep some exclusives or the system loses some of its appeal.
I would bet money on these Sony exclusives never coming to pc;

The Last of Us (both games)
Spiderman
Gran Turismo
Returnal
Bloodborne (yes, I know)
Ghost of Tsushima

There are others, but they are the ones that spring to mind.
By the way, I have no issue per se with those games coming to pc as I have one.

I just feel like they have to hold some of the big hitters back or it weakens the brand.
I was quite surprised God of War was released recently, as I felt sure that would stay a Sony exclusive.

Yes, it was nearly 4 years after its initial ps4 release - but still, many ps5 owners, and Sony fan boys, felt like they just gave a rival platform the definitive edition of a premium I.P...and at a reduced price when compared to its console release price.

Spider-Man 2 is the exclusive and guess what by putting Spider-Man 1 and maybe Miles Morales on PC and even Switch and maybe even Xbox, you're going to drive PS5 sales.

Give Spider-Man 2, two years of exclusivity on PS5. Year 3 put it on PC. And When PS6 comes out, put it on Xbox consoles.

You don't lose hardware sales and you maximize the potential sales in a significant way.

I wouldn't bet on any SIE game not going to PC at some point in the future. They bought Nixxes to speed up getting their games on PC. Only a matter of time until they buy Jetpack Interactive to double down on this.

Maybe they don't support Switch and probably not Xbox, but they're sitting on billions of dollars in revenue. MLB The Show would have made that tremendously clear to them.

Playing HFW, it kind of feels like Sony could keep doing cross-gen forever.
Competition is simply outmatched
I think they'll do cross gen until cross gen stops selling. Note that doesn't mean when PS5 versions are outselling PS4 versions, but when the PS4 version barely contributes.

To give you a frame of reference, EA was putting Madden out on PS3 (a whole different SKU) until 2017... 5 years after the ps4 came out...

Guilty_AI

Personally, I don't see those games you mentioned ever coming to pc.

Yes, of course, Sony needs to make money and offering pc versions does that.
But, they also have to keep some exclusives or the system loses some of its appeal.
I would bet money on these Sony exclusives never coming to pc;

The Last of Us (both games)
Spiderman
Gran Turismo
Returnal
Bloodborne (yes, I know)
Ghost of Tsushima

There are others, but they are the ones that spring to mind.
By the way, I have no issue per se with those games coming to pc as I have one.

I just feel like they have to hold some of the big hitters back or it weakens the brand.
I was quite surprised God of War was released recently, as I felt sure that would stay a Sony exclusive.

Yes, it was nearly 4 years after its initial ps4 release - but still, many ps5 owners, and Sony fan boys, felt like they just gave a rival platform the definitive edition of a premium I.P...and at a reduced price when compared to its console release price.
TLoU and GoT are 100% coming to PC.

This whole "weakening the brand" thing is an argument that only pops up in these gaming forums, because sony see these ports as doing the exact opposite. In their eyes, they're spreading the names of their IPs even further.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

This whole "weakening the brand" thing is an argument that only pops up in these gaming forums, because sony see these ports as doing the exact opposite. In their eyes, they're spreading the names of their IPs even further.
Agree.

You really don't even need to think too much about it. If they have ported God of War, the reboot of one of their older IPs, of course they'll port the other ones.

There are lots of games stuck on the PS4. Sony would be crazy to not want to make more money out of them by porting to PC.

Three

Depends on what you mean by this.

Games being made on PS5 only: already happening.
No games being made for PS4: Never, maybe 2030 or something.
Big release games being PS5 only: My guess is Christmas 2023.

RexAnglo

Banned

lol...The Last of Us is nearly 9 years old.

It's not coming to pc.

Of all the Sony exclusives that is one which I guarantee will never come to pc.

Shame, as a pc offering with modders, fov increase, 120 fps etc...would great.

I'm still waiting on the new factions multiplayer that was supposed to be in the works.

Ghost of Tsushima is, granted, a little more likely - but I still don't see it, and certainly not for a few years if at all.

Last edited:

Three

It's not coming to pc.

Shame, as modders, fov increase, 120 fps etc...would great.

I'm atoll waiting on the new factions multiplayer that was supposed to be in the works.

Ghost of Tsushima is, granted, a little more likely - but I still don't see it, and certainly not for a few years if at all.
They are making a remake of The Last of Us. That may come eventually but it's ridiculous that people talk with such certainty about games coming to PC with absolutely nothing announced.

RexAnglo

Banned
They are making a remake of The Last of Us. That may come eventually but it's ridiculous that people talk with such certainty about games coming to PC with absolutely nothing announced.
Agreed.

There are, in my opinion, maybe two or three I.P that absolutely will never come to pc...and The Last of Us is one of them.

I'm not saying it shouldn't, as I have a pc and am only interested in the customer having the most choice possible.

Guilty_AI

Agreed.

There are, in my opinion, maybe two or three I.P that absolutely will never come to pc...and The Last of Us is one of them.

I'm not saying it shouldn't, as I have a pc and am only interested in the customer having the most choice possible.
pX2JSba.png

1021842.jpg

Its on

RAIDEN1

2023 I reckon, or 2024 by the latest, I read somewhere that it would definitely continue this year, and then start to shape up from next I think...

Codes 208

When will devs make PC games that will only run on a 3090?
The funny thing is when pc games require high-end cards, the game is considered unoptimized, but when console games are optimized for multiple gens, its considered cross-gen trash

Last edited:

SSfox

I think GOW Ragnarok will be the last AAA sony first party game thats cross gen. If sony continue to do cross gen when MS isnt people are going to flip their shit.
No doubt the bean counters at sony are certainly questioning it though.
If starfield sells like 15million and a 2022/23 PS5 Exclusive sells 5million, they might change up their strategy.

Agree with this, kinda ironic that Sony seems to be doing more crossgen games than MS considering the blabla talk about crossgen from both.

At ~114 million ps4 units installed, not any time soon, as they’d be eliminating a massive portion of potential sales. Much easier to develop for the ps4 and then sprinkle on some RT shadows to placate the next gen users. Case and point, Horizon 2 is a $10 upgrade for the ps4 buyers if I remember correctly

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
With full forwards compatibility and an upgrade path costing an extra 10 dollars, I could see PS4 and PS4 Pro being supported for the rest of the PS5 generation and maybe even beyond.
Bingo.

Similar to PC gaming, as long as they feel they can scale the game down to work on a PS4, they're going to want to get those users.
Bingo.

It's easier for developers to spec out minimum requirements on a given platform like the base PS4 than it is to kind of guess what someone is going to run with PC hardware and create a minimum suggested requirement around that. With DRS, I think we're going to see a lot of this cross-gen garbage for years to come.
Bingo.

After the relatively poor sales of Demon's Souls and Rift Apart, I wouldn't expect any PS5 exclusives anytime soon.
Bingo.

Zeroing

Banned
I think GOW Ragnarok will be the last AAA sony first party game thats cross gen. If sony continue to do cross gen when MS isnt people are going to flip their shit.
No doubt the bean counters at sony are certainly questioning it though.
If starfield sells like 15million and a 2022/23 PS5 Exclusive sells 5million, they might change up their strategy.
People need to look back, the PS3/Xbox 360 generation was long and both used different architectures…

now we had a shorter generation where new IPs started from… with an architecture that makes it possible to make cross gen…in a middle of a chip shortage! People would be complaining they been “abandoned” and/or forced to buy a PS5 to play a sequel of a game.

MS always abandons support for their console mid gen… they done it with the 360 and the Xbox one…

Either way people will still complain!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Probably… never? The architecture between current and last gen are very similar. It follows the pc formula. Just the same gane for both, with some additional effects and resolution for current gen.
This. It always worked like that on pc as well.

Better graphics are usually just better graphics.

Of course there's some limitations in older hardware, but that's diminish returns compared to the graphical aspects

It's not coming to pc.

Shame, as a pc offering with modders, fov increase, 120 fps etc...would great.

I'm still waiting on the new factions multiplayer that was supposed to be in the works.

When they remake LOU1 using the LOU2 engine and release it on PS4/PS5/PC along with Factions and the Last of Us TV show on HBO, it'll give the franchise a whole new lease on life.

LOU1 remake across PS4/PS5 could sell 3-6 million copies. LOU1 remake on PC could sell 10 million copies. LOU2 ported to PC could do another 3-6 million copies. Factions as a GaaS could be a fairly popular multiplayer game especially cross platform.

I'd be stunned if LOU1 remake doesn't come out on PC.

This idea that Sony is going to wait 4 years to port games to PC after buying Nixxes just doesn't jive with reality. They might not be day and date, but they're not going to be 4 years later by practice.

The funny thing is when pc games require high-end cards, the game is considered unoptimized, but when console games are optimized for multiple gens, its considered cross-gen trash

That's for a reason, PC isn't a unified platform where as a console is. The lines are blurring now and that is why you think there is a double standard, but there isn't.

Fbh

There are some next gen only games already. But if you are asking when the industry at large will move one my guess would be late 2023 or early 2024, though with the current chip shortage slowing down next gen hardware acquisition it could be as late as 2025.

Though to be honest if a long cross gen period means getting games like Gow Ragnarok, Horizon and Elden Ring at 60fps then I'm fine with it.

Having the medium be stagnate is so unexciting.
I suppose innovation and improvements can still happen with cross gen, but still when you have been playing games for a long time the decade old limitations of them does get old.
Its not all bad though, there have been improvements in story,A.i, visuals and the size of games, but not all games do this they are still basically prettier and more refined versions of zelda:eek:ot.

IMO gaming feeling stagnate has more to do with devs/publishers than hardware.
Whenever we get a hardware upgrade we start speculating about new game mechanics, more complex physics, AI, more interactive worlds, etc. But in the end the vast majority of devs just continue making the same old games with nicer graphics.

I've been replaying some Ps3 era games in recent months and my big takeaway has been that once you play them in 1080p+ and 60fps+ you realize gaming didn't really advance a whole lot during the Ps4/Xb1 era. Graphics got a considerable upgrade but in terms of game design and mechanics I'm struggling to find games that wouldn't have been possible on a Ps3/360 with scaled back visuals.

Had a similar feeling when I was playing breath of the wild and the world felt more interactive than the vast majority of open worlds I had played on Ps4, despite running on considerably weaker hardware.

I'll hi five the first 3rd party dev that will make a game only on PS5 and Xbox Series X with no Xbox Series S release. Tho i dont think this will ever happen.

I don't think that's possible: Series S is the top selling Microsoft console at the moment....

SSfox

I don't think that's possible: Series S is the top selling Microsoft console at the moment....
Well that sucks, hopefully some real next gen games soon, honestly Horizon FW is very good game, but there is nothing mindblowing or special about it, guess crossgen has something to do with it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
2022 is encouraging for this if you are an Xbox console owner.

Between Refdall, Scorn, Starfield, STALKER 2 and possibly Motorsport 7, Xbox seems to have finished it's focus on first / some third party stuff targeting last gen consoles.

Last edited:

RexAnglo

Banned
When they remake LOU1 using the LOU2 engine and release it on PS4/PS5/PC along with Factions and the Last of Us TV show on HBO, it'll give the franchise a whole new lease on life.

LOU1 remake across PS4/PS5 could sell 3-6 million copies. LOU1 remake on PC could sell 10 million copies. LOU2 ported to PC could do another 3-6 million copies. Factions as a GaaS could be a fairly popular multiplayer game especially cross platform.

I'd be stunned if LOU1 remake doesn't come out on PC.

This idea that Sony is going to wait 4 years to port games to PC after buying Nixxes just doesn't jive with reality. They might not be day and date, but they're not going to be 4 years later by practice.
You make some good points, but I still reckon Sony would be very reluctant to let that game on another platform.

As I said previously, there are only two or three I.P that I think will stay exclusively on Playstation - and The Last of Us is one of them.

FrankWza

thats not the same thing wtf
You’re speaking in generations terminology based on time. He’s talking, and I think op means, generation from a technical and features perspective. While s has been able to include some of these features, it has not included what was promised. Also, the amount of work devs are exhausting on the development is proving to be taxing already and probably, not possible like the next gen update of cyberpunk and in future game tech like the matrix demo where they needed a “gargantuan effort “ to get the demo running on s.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There are some next gen only games already. But if you are asking when the industry at large will move one my guess would be late 2023 or early 2024, though with the current chip shortage slowing down next gen hardware acquisition it could be as late as 2025.

Though to be honest if a long cross gen period means getting games like Gow Ragnarok, Horizon and Elden Ring at 60fps then I'm fine with it.

IMO gaming feeling stagnate has more to do with devs/publishers than hardware.
Whenever we get a hardware upgrade we start speculating about new game mechanics, more complex physics, AI, more interactive worlds, etc. But in the end the vast majority of devs just continue making the same old games with nicer graphics.

I've been replaying some Ps3 era games in recent months and my big takeaway has been that once you play them in 1080p+ and 60fps+ you realize gaming didn't really advance a whole lot during the Ps4/Xb1 era. Graphics got a considerable upgrade but in terms of game design and mechanics I'm struggling to find games that wouldn't have been possible on a Ps3/360 with scaled back visuals.

Had a similar feeling when I was playing breath of the wild and the world felt more interactive than the vast majority of open worlds I had played on Ps4, despite running on considerably weaker hardware.
Yes you're correct.
There are a few exceptions like BOTW and RDR2 did improve NPCs making them more realistic in there reactions and behaviors, the random events was also improved.

Starfield is quite exciting in this regard because there are not many space galaxy exploration RPGs, hopefully they will evolve dialog, npc realism and storytelling in gaming.

samoilaaa

Why not?

PS5 has a single hardware spec...

Xbox Series X has 3x more GPU power and a lot more RAM/bandwidth than Series S
because its way harder make the game work on a console with a shitty cpu than just make the graphical settings lower , for example the new cpu will alow for alot of crowd realism , world interactivity and level design , you cannot achieve that with the ps4/xb1 cpu no matter how much you lower the textures , shadows etc

xsx and xss have the same cpu just slightly lower frequency and lower ram , all you have to do is lower the graphical settings

samoilaaa

You’re speaking in generations terminology based on time. He’s talking, and I think op means, generation from a technical and features perspective. While s has been able to include some of these features, it has not included what was promised. Also, the amount of work devs are exhausting on the development is proving to be taxing already and probably, not possible like the next gen update of cyberpunk and in future game tech like the matrix demo where they needed a “gargantuan effort “ to get the demo running on s.
i agree that for third party developers that have to release their game on all platforms the series s will just be another console that they have to worry about but i think that they will manage , especialy the big dogs

DaGwaphics

Probably… never? The architecture between current and last gen are very similar. It follows the pc formula. Just the same gane for both, with some additional effects and resolution for current gen.

Last gen will get left behind because the CPUs were already atrocious when the systems launched in 2013.

Sosokrates

People need to look back, the PS3/Xbox 360 generation was long and both used different architectures…

now we had a shorter generation where new IPs started from… with an architecture that makes it possible to make cross gen…in a middle of a chip shortage! People would be complaining they been “abandoned” and/or forced to buy a PS5 to play a sequel of a game.

MS always abandons support for their console mid gen… they done it with the 360 and the Xbox one…

Either way people will still complain!

When have people complained about being abandoned after 2yrs of a new gen?

I cant believe people are defending cross gen, especially on the sony side. Where sony + sony fans were avocates for new generations and new gen exclusives. Seems like the fans are just going in the direction of the wind.

Fox Mulder

When have people complained about being abandoned after 2yrs of a new gen?

I cant believe people are defending cross gen, especially on the sony side. Where sony + sony fans were avocates for new generations and new gen exclusives. Seems like the fans are just going in the direction of the wind.

You also still just can’t go out and buy a new ps5 or xbx either though. Cross gen sucks and drags games down, but it makes sense.

DaGwaphics

The current gen consoles quickly become weaker than entry-level PC cards within a few years from release, with the prior gen being absolute dogs (often 10 year old tech) at that same time. It's not even remotely comparable.

RexAnglo

Banned
The current gen consoles quickly become weaker than entry-level PC cards within a few years from release, with the prior gen being absolute dogs (often 10 year old tech) at that same time. It's not even remotely comparable.
That kind of depends on what you consider an "entry level" GPU?

Plus, it's not like the console makers can do much about it.

They have to make something that can retail for under £/€/$ 500, which is barely half the price of a high end card.

Ultimately, they are always going to be behind the curve.

Mobilemofo

i expect sony to continue servicing the ps4 market for a few years yet. you simply cannot abandon such a huge market. especially because of the chip shortage/console supplies. Clearly, some studio's will do remasters and re do some ps3 classics (motorstorm ps5 anybody?). Money to be made from both sectors, sony would be stupid to stop developing for the ps4/pro just yet.

DaGwaphics

That kind of depends on what you consider an "entry level" GPU?

Plus, it's not like the console makers can do much about it.

They have to make something that can retail for under £/€/$ 500, which is barely half the price of a high end card.

Ultimately, they are always going to be behind the curve.

I didn't say that to down the consoles, I think there is great value in the consoles and its where I generally play. The user I quoted was comparing a high-end halo graphics card (3090) to the lower-end mass appeal part (3060) and comparing that situation to devs trying to support hardware from an archaic GPU arch released in 2013. It's just not the same situation.

because its way harder make the game work on a console with a shitty cpu than just make the graphical settings lower , for example the new cpu will alow for alot of crowd realism , world interactivity and level design , you cannot achieve that with the ps4/xb1 cpu no matter how much you lower the textures , shadows etc

xsx and xss have the same cpu just slightly lower frequency and lower ram , all you have to do is lower the graphical settings

That implies devs always use the higher GPU/RAM power just to change some "graphical settings/presets"...

What if they want to use that power to make something boldly different?

They can't because the game MUST run on the base hardware...

Last edited:

Sosokrates

You also still just can’t go out and buy a new ps5 or xbx either though. Cross gen sucks and drags games down, but it makes sense.

Have the best of both worlds by releasing on PC, Current gen console + cloud.

While it does make short term business sense to do cross gen, if your competition is doing current gen and the entire playstation ethos is about the best in class 1st party exclusives its not a good look to be shackled by last gen hardware.

CosmicComet

Xbox will stay cross-gen forever as Series S exists anyway....

They will drop Xbox One but they can't drop Series S
Nah. Series S is a next gen system at 1080p. It's for those who don't care about 4K but still want to play the next gen asset having games at a past gen price.

Last edited:

FrankWza

i agree that for third party developers that have to release their game on all platforms the series s will just be another console that they have to worry about but i think that they will manage , especialy the big dogs
Being able to Manage isn’t exactly an ideal situation. Limitations are limitations, no matter where. Last gen has an end, the s probably won’t at this point. The time spent is too taxing when even first party has had to take features out of the s version of games already.
Nah. Series S is a next gen system at 1080p. It's for those who don't care about 4K but still want to play the next gen asset having games at a past gen price.
Then why didn’t the cyberpunk version include a 1080p version at 60fps? Why doesn’t infinite have a 120fps mode and the x does? Too much effort to include or technological limitations? Either way, it’s an anchor for devs.

Top Bottom