• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Wishlist For The Elder Scrolls 6?

Handel

Elsweyr as the setting, as a Khajits the only cat who knows where it's at.

Deeke[VRZ];251392700 said:
Attributes.

Compass and/or minimap. Not just a compass.

Meaningful quests and NPC AI where characters remember your deeds and treat you differently.

Immersion to ensure gamers have agency in the world and arent just interlopers.

Good enchanting that isn't gimped or pathetic.

No multiplayer of any kind, co op or otherwise.

Good mod support and great monetized Creation Club DLC.

Adding more than taking away, evolving the formula, and pushing it to new heights.

The ability to feel lost and overwhelmed by the world, not with the amount of fetch quests or gathering.

And finally, having to pay attention and think rather than soaking time into something to be good.
All of this too. Give me proper unarmed!

It needs climbing, weapon durability, armour for different weather, towers, a camera, a hang glider.

/s

Cliff racers

Oh, one thing I forgot about, having cleansed my memory of Xbox 360 Skyrim:

Minimize loading screens.

For the love of all that is good, MINIMIZE LOADING SCREENS.

Having to fade to black every time you enter or exit a building/dungeon/etc. was hugely immersion breaking.

Less of an issue on PC with faster drive speeds, but still.

The world should be as seamless as possible, only having dedicated load screens if you're straight teleporting to a disparate locale or first booting up the game. Anything less and you break immersion.

Cyanity

Banned
I want some actual innovation in the elder scrolls formula. Maybe take some design cues from Breath of the Wild? DEFINITELY a new engine though

edit - new engine though

seriously, get a new engine

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh yeah - NO giant insect enemies, please.

Just... Don't do it. Don't you do it.

Seriously, though, giant spiders are such a lazy concept.

tr4nce 26

Banned
I want levitation spells, no level scaling, and more rare items and power weapons. The environment doesn't really matter to me, I'm sure I'll like it. I also don't want the game to be built around fast travel, the silt striders were perfect transportation.

bitbydeath

Oh, one thing I forgot about, having cleansed my memory of Xbox 360 Skyrim:

Minimize loading screens.

Having to fade to black every time you enter or exit a building/dungeon/etc. was hugely immersion breaking.

The world should be as seamless as possible, only having dedicated load screens if you're straight teleporting to a disparate locale or first booting up the game. Anything less and you break immersion.

Agreed, it makes no sense you can journey for hours across the world but stepping into a house that consists of a bed and a few chests requires a load screen.

Renekton

Agreed, it makes no sense you can journey for hours across the world but stepping into a house that consists of a bed and a few chests requires a load screen.
I think that's only achievable next-gen with 24GB memory, fast storage and decent CPU.

Drop Gamebryo. I don't care if you develop a new proprietary engine, or whatever, but Gamebryo is too janky, especially if we're going to go 10 years between releases and get the next ES game in 2021.

old

They sold Skyrim on Dragons.

200 hours into that game and never saw a single dragon past the intro.

Wishlist: put the thing in the game that you tell everybody is in the game.

MoonFrog

Personally, I want the game set in either Argonia or in Valenwood/Summerset Isles, primarily the latter. I'm also okay with the rumored Elsweyr setting.

Generally, I like Skyrim's step back towards heavier individuation of cities and regions. I also like its heavier quest work, even if it harms replayability some.

But...I want a) a stronger main quest; b) better writing (and npcs); c) a more lived-in world with more believable populations, farms, industries, etc.; d) a return to a more complicated stats game.

Did you... uh... just ignore the main quest then? Because you fight and kill a dragon in like the second quest.

I had the exact opposite problem. It felt crazy to me that the dragons were held up as this enormous, world-ending threat and your weak-ass level 4 character kills one at the very start of their journey. Fallout 4 does the same thing: You kill a Deathclaw in one of the earliest missions.

Bethesda needs to make their strongest enemies truly challenging and terrifying. I want more scenarios in these games where running away is the best option.

ThisGuy

More underwater exploration. Custom designed caves bring back morrowinds spell crafting. Grittier story lines for the minor quests. More armor sets. Better applications for alchemy and illusion.

Design the cities to be more interesting. Let loose on the creativity.

Zero level scaling.

More argonians.

This too.

what?

I'm sorry did you just not do any of the story missions? I was constantly fucking swarmed by dragons to the point I will make a new game and avoid the story missions to prevent the god damn dragons.

I want it to take place in one of the provinces where the animal people are from. My preference would be Black Marsh. I want the plotline to follow the HIST. (Sentient trees). And i want to see talking giant animal godlike beings who have come to blows with the human and elf races. A plotline similar to Princess Mononoke. What do you guys think? I want to see once peaceful beings of nature angry at the humans, elves, aedra, and daedra.

GhaleonEB

Deeper crafting with less tiered weapon types. (Meaning, daedric weapons shouldn't be the only ones at the peak). Add nuance to the different metal types to create more trade offs (i.e. Elven is lighter and faster to swing, but staggers less; steel is heavier and hits harder, but slower, etc.). Perhaps allow mixing of them in crafting (Elvin blade over steel frame, etc.). Needs MUCH more variety in the crafting and weapon types.

Different fighting styles for the different weapon classes. Using a mace should feel different than using a sword, have a distinct style and set of advantages. Not just a speed/damage slider to balance out the DPS as in Skyrim.

A focus on navigating the terrain. It's baffling to me that Bethesda set TESV in Skyirm without addressing climbing inclines and mountains. Bunny hopping up mountain trails was absurd.

Keep archery awesome. It was great in Skyrim, keep building on that foundation.

Make spellcasters able to handle harder difficulties and late game content. A destruction user on Master difficulty was comically under powered. Meanwhile my archer was a destroyer of worlds.

I think they nailed the world creation, lore and everything to do with the open world with Skyrim. My only hope is they hit that bar.

More non-linear dungeons. Actual mazes.

A proper, Fallout 4-style survival mode. Lean into those crafting, food, rest system as Fallout 4 did. It was wondrous.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
BotW like environmental interaction and destruction. They make great big open worlds, but they're very static, it would be great to be able to really interact with them in a more meaningful way. Both in exploration and combat.

Completely new movement, physics and animation system. I want my character to actually feel like they're in the environment they are in and react to jumping over an object or running into a wall. Not these canned animations and completely static and extremely archaic movements and animations we have now. They need to really start from scratch, top to bottom and modernize their tech. FO4 really showed they're hitting a wall with Gamebryo/Creation engine. They're were able to improve a lot things, but it so much of the game was still as stiff and artificial as Morrowind and Oblivion.

Also some mildly capable writing and quest design would be great. Again we have this great big world to explore, but it's so generic and predictable in how everything unfolds and structured. Give us some really intriguing factions, questlines and conflicts with more ways to tackle them beyond just sneaking and fighting.

old

what?

I'm sorry did you just not do any of the story missions? I was constantly fucking swarmed by dragons to the point I will make a new game and avoid the story missions to prevent the god damn dragons.

I got to that city with The Hill that you go to first. And the story mission got boring or complicated, I can’t remember. I wanted more immediate rewards. So I went and did all the guild quests. Became leader of all the guilds. Got the nightinggale armor, got my own keep at the mage tower, went to the golden temple with all the death traps to steal something, everything. (Been many years may be fuzzy on those details).

But I assumed Dragons would be a part of that journey. Especially since they were already in the intro. Had the game told me “Dragons don’t unlock until you go several story missions in” I would have done so.

That’s my point. Don’t arbitrarily secretly withhold a key gameplay mechanic until some unspoken story moment especially in a game that very early gives players 100 other things to do besides story progression.

Renekton

Deeper crafting with less tiered weapon types. (Meaning, daedric weapons shouldn't be the only ones at the peak). Add nuance to the different metal types to create more trade offs (i.e. Elven is lighter and faster to swing, but staggers less; steel is heavier and hits harder, but slower, etc.). Perhaps allow mixing of them in crafting (Elvin blade over steel frame, etc.). Needs MUCH more variety in the crafting and weapon types.
They should add tiers for skill-ups though, so you don't become mastersmith by crafting 500 iron daggers.

The only thing I truly want is for them to completely ditch the Gamebryo/Creation engine. You can't polish that turd anymore Bethesda, give it up.
I'm guessing this is why TES6 is on a long hiatus. New engine, toolset, workflow and staff-retraining together is a huge huge undertaking.

vakarian32

The only thing I truly want is for them to completely ditch the Gamebryo/Creation engine. You can't polish that turd anymore Bethesda, give it up.

Moyospeed

Neo Member
I want my choice of playstyle to stick through the game and offer a different experience. Maybe certain dungeons or secret spots only accesible by a thief or a magic user based on a skill they have. I want combat to be different based on playstyle. And like someone else mentioned guilds should be somewhat locked on play too. A straight up melee bruiser shouldn't be able to go through the magic guild/school whatever it was lol. I mainly just want to feel like it was worth the wait and they didn't just slap a fantasy skin on f4.

Aside from the things that have been mentioned, they really need to return to more topside quests and content. I put off/ignored so many quests in Skyrim after a certain point just because I was exhausted with the formula.

NPC directs you to overlong dungeon boilerplate A, which drops you into overlong dungeon boilerplate B, which segues into absurdly tedious dungeon boilerplate C. Return to NPC, only to learn that the actual quest conclusion takes place in (surprise) another dungeon which looks identical to the previous 1700 or so you've traversed.

I’d like to see them steal a couple mechanics from other games. Specifically....

Lock-on combat mechanic from Souls series

Climbing ability from BotW

Toni

What Skyrim needed was a combat overhaul, good dialogue and much better narratve. And it would have been the greatest open world rpg game ever created, no doubt.

Come with that for TES6 but now with new engine, realistic and fluid animations, overhauled enemy AI to be actually worth a damn lol, Voiced Protagonists, more weapons and armor variety, re-worked followers so that they are more involved with the story and your contributions, literally copy / paste Horizon's Archery gameplay mechanics and a better thought out Magic spells system and look.

If we can have magic spells that look, sound and work like Doctor Strange's magic spells, that would be hell of amazing. If any video game wants to take inspiration from movies for magic done right, take everything you can from Doctor Strange.

Marvel nailed magic in that movie.

Goldrush

Would love for the Gnostic elements of the lore to be explored in the main story rather than books. The main storylines and side quests in the last few entries were strictly traditional, fantasy fare. Without the possibilities of the more fantastical elements being incorporated into the story, all the excellent lorebooks might as well be non-canon.

Akronis

Their nose looks weird.

They are dapper as fuck though in the Divinity universe

divinity-dragon-commander-0031.jpg

Toni

I'm guessing this is why TES6 is on a long hiatus. New engine, toolset, workflow and staff-retraining together is a huge huge undertaking.

I really, really hope to god this is what is happening behind the scenes and Todd isn't idiotic enough to;

a) skip a generation and/or
b) begin development in the next 1 or 2 years to purposedly rehash it for next gen ala GTA5

Literally the best thing that can happen is that Bethesda Softworks started collecting ideas some short years after Skyrim production ended and development began in either 2013/14/15 preparing the whole staff for a new engine and ideas implementation .

Otherwise, this not coming out for another 6 years.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I really, really hope to god this is what is happening behind the scenes and Todd isn't idiotic enough to;

a) skip a generation and/or
b) begin development in the next 1 or 2 years to purposedly rehash it for next gen ala GTA5

Literally the best thing that can happen is that Bethesda Softworks started collecting ideas some short years after Skyrim production ended and development began in either 2013/14/15 preparing the whole staff for a new engine and ideas implementation .

Otherwise, this not coming out for another 6 years.
Its idiotic to make his company lots more money? Am I misunderstanding your comment?

scoobs

A fun combat system, less bugs, a new beautiful game engine.
All things that we will absolutely not be getting.

Kumomeme

better and working action oriented combat and less repeated/recycled quest
better conversation with npc..enough with generic line like school kid asking question

- Combat/player-environment interaction as good as BOTW at the very least. There is no reason that Bethesda can't aim for that. Whatever it takes to get to that point Bethesda should be shooting for it.

- A main quest that is more like Morrowind's in terms of the role the main character has than the damn prophesied savior that was shoved down our throats in Skyrim.

- Spell-crafting needs a return.

- Better side quests and fractions.

- A world that one can get lost in as much as Morrowind if not more.

- Bring back the blessed dialogue system of Morrowind.

daman824

witcher 3 did a lot in terms of open world design that I believe the next elder scrolls has to learn from.

Novigrad is larger than all the cities combined in Skyrim or Oblivion for example

Toni

Its idiotic to make his company lots more money? Am I misunderstanding your comment?

I'm sure Bethesda is in no shortage of money with all the projects they have had since this generation began 4 years ago.

We're almost at the end of it with about 2 more years left in it and there hasn't been a follow up tp their most successful IP they ever concocted.

Then, they release an incredibly dull spin off thats online only and poses no advancements for the Elder Scrolls universe and formula. It instead butchers it.

I feel like Bethesda has treated the Ip like trash thus far, to be honest. Skyrim on last gen consoles were broken and unplayable and was never fixed. I dont even know how in the living hell did PS360 Skyrim passed the Q&A tests.

There are still bugs and glitches in the Skyrim re-master. Its like they can't bother themselves to fix it after all the money its made them.

Top Bottom