• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your opinion on the Devil May Cry series?

Hostile_18

Banned
... Because in a moment of madness I just bought them all in the sale without playing a single one 🤯🤯

Devil May Cry 1-5 and the DMC reboot (?) For the price of one full game 🔥

Which one is your favourite entry? Will we ever get a Devil May Cry 6 or has the series concluded?

I did play and enjoy Bayonetta, so fingers crossed I like these.

WBqgNfZ.jpg

TwiztidElf

I really like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta, so felt like I was compelled to try DMC.
Played 4 all the way through and enjoyed it, but it wasn't enough to convince me to commit to the series.
I usually like weeb stuff, but there's something about DMC that just feels off.
I think maybe I played the wrong one first.

D.Final

Banned
... Because in a moment of madness I just bought them all in the sale without playing a single one 🤯🤯

Devil May Cry 1-5 and the DMC reboot (?) For the price of one full game 🔥

Which one is your favourite entry? Will we ever get a Devil May Cry 6 or has the series concluded?

I did play and enjoy Bayonetta, so fingers crossed I like these.

WBqgNfZ.jpg

It's amazing
My favorite is DMC3 Special Edition

Hostile_18

Banned
I've just started the first one and I like it so far. Bit strange in that first room that you have to hold a direction and press jump to reach higher than you normally can.

Combat seems super fun and I like the location.

That lady coming through the wall on her bike and him been like "what's up babe, looking for the restroom?" 😂 I do like quirky.

KàIRóS

Congratulations you bought the king franchise of the Hack and Slash genre.

DMC1, 3 and 5 are masterpieces, DMC5 in particular currently has the best combat ever in a videogame IMO.

DMC4 and the Reboot are really good games.

DMC2 is the worst in the franchise but after you read the development hell that the game was involved in you will probably appreciate it, seriously that game should be worse than it actually is.

sublimit

Banned
I enjoyed all the first 4 ones when they had come out (yes even 2). The first one is my favorite. I didn't liked Ninja Theory's vision and something of the art style of DMC5 didn't click with me therefore i have yet to play that one.

Max_Po

Banned
DMC 1 3 and 5 are worth playing.

If you want a legendary life defining experience, you need to play Ninja Gaiden Black.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is good but they added gore useless gore because Itagaki thinks he is over everyone. After that series went beyond trash.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
3 is great, 4 is good.
What's the point of Nero even existing
DMC5

@thread
My favorite is 3 - and now that we can change abilities on the go, is way better, but I love 5 a lot. I guess that my only problem with 5 is the ending, because the gameplay is crazy fun
1 is nice for the first game. 2 is boring. 4 is good with mechanics, but it's unfinished bad almost as Phantom Pain.

Last edited:
DMC 3 is still the best one in my opinion. The juggling, the atmosphere, the cleavage...all good stuff :D

Love how challenging it is, too. Combat video games are too easy these days, but DMC 3 will chew you up and spit you out if you're lazy in learning the game play and game mechanics. I appreciate that.

Oddspeak

One of my all-time favorite series. DMC's combat is second-to-none in the entire melee-based action sphere. They're extremely fun and can be a challenge without sacrificing that fun, too.

DMC1 is good, but its combat isn't what it soon becomes in 3 onward.
2... We don't talk about 2. It's aggressively mediocre due to being slapped together in less than a year.
3 is considered by a lot to be the best in the series. Its characters are great. Dante's easygoing attitude is infectious, and its where the gameplay was born again.
4 is okay, but heavily criticized due to the second half of the game being literally backtracking through the first half. 4 Special Edition is a huge improvement thanks to three more playable characters and a new difficulty setting.
5 is amazing. Great music, great graphics, more great characters, lots of bosses. Only real criticism is super simplistic level design. It's my personal favorite.

Shakka43

Fantastic, disappointing, great, ok, pretty cool, alright.
I think you are gonna have some good fun but I wouldn't recommend going on a marathon with them and instead take breaks between titles.

Jesb

They are some good fun but it’s no longer a franchise that will be a must have for me anymore. After 3 I was a little burned out in the formula of the franchise. Played the demo for 5 and it seems like a solid game. I’ll get it at a bargain when it’s even cheaper.

Hostile_18

Banned
Onto chapter 3. Getting the hang of it. Why does square and circle initiate text but only circle bring up the whole sentence fast, the reveal speed is proper slow 😂

Love the combat though.

Boss Mog

Was great when it started but, aside from the graphics, it failed to evolve. Bayonetta 1 has better combat than DMC5.

Last edited:

Fbh

1: The atmosphere and environments are still nice. The combat was awesome when it first launched but by now feels dated.
2: Is terrible. I've actually never finished it, got bored with it when it originally launched and got bored when I replayed it on the HD collection
3: Still the best. Great combat and locations, good enemy variety and bosses.
4: Good but not great. IMO Nero just isn't as fun as Dante (from both a gameplay and story perspective) and the lack of content was disappointing.
5: Overall disappointing IMO. Combat is still good but the environments are really dull, it feels like it lacks more enemy variety and the light puzzle/exploration elements from previous entries have pretty much been replaced by simple corridors connecting on fight arena with the next

DMC: Was actually pretty good. Combat isn't as good as the capcom ones but they did some fun things with the visuals and environments.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Beat the Spider boss. Theres quite a bit the game dosnt tell you.. like how to dodge, power ups etc. Getting there though 👍

LordKasual

Banned
Devil May Cry 5 is one of the first games i've played that literally felt like a 10/10 game from start to finish.

Everything about the game was a clear and significant improvement from DMC4.

I have no clue how that studio was able to change so much, yet still create such a cohesive experience.

I was fully expecting that switch to photorealism to negatively affect the franchise, but it was a linear move. The only result was DMC4-style gameplay with fucking amazing visuals.

Last edited:
I've played the first and fourth games in the series (on PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 respectively). The first game left the biggest impression on me, per usual. Dark, gloomy atmosphere and frantic action, easily one of the best action games of all-time.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I've only finished the Ninja Theory game and it was pretty okay. I've also tried DMC3 and 4, but I think I dropped them because of the default difficulty level and I guess I was too proud to lower it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ninja Theory's DMC is an excellent game, and people are stupid if They criticize it for Dante's design because it's an out-of-logic complaint, the game is very good.

DMC 3 is excellent for me but somewhat difficult to complete

DMC 4 is a good game for me and using Nero is a good element, so in conclusion

Devil may cry is a excellent saga. For me Better than Bayonetta

Labolas

1: The first one I played, really fun and cheesy lines. Has fighting the same couple of bosses again but it never felt boring.
2: Never played because of how bad it looked
3: My personal favorite, the most depth, and the best story.
4: As complex as 3 but the level design and puzzles made me quit near the end.
5: To most, the best game of series but to me, it's up there with the best. It never really clicked with me. I guess because of the graphical change.

Personally I'm loved Bayo way more as a game.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

1,3,4,5 are all really good. DMC I never played but is quite divisive and heard good and bad about it . 2 I didn't like and really haven't heard much positive about it ...like ever so play only if you really want to beat them all .

Azurro

Banned
I've enjoyed all of them, except for 2, obviously. Some of the best games I've ever played, nothing else out there comes close to the atmosphere, style and personality these characters have. I even enjoyed DmC as well, even though it's nowhere near as good as the other ones.

D.Final

Banned
1,3,4,5 are all really good. DMC I never played but is quite divisive and heard good and bad about it . 2 I didn't like and really haven't heard much positive about it ...like ever so play only if you really want to beat them all .

True

Top Bottom