• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your favorites Nostalgic movies from early 90s to the early 2000s

Wimbledon

I'm trying to find older movies to watch that could be interesting. Does anyone have any movies they'd like to recommend?

mansoor1980

ace ventura and tmnt2 come to mind

bef1786a-9305-4b12-b3a2-ecea95d4c113_text.gif

tumblr_mjfo90lOda1rdutw3o1_r1_400.gifv

My list of "underrated" movies to check out from that era:

Mystery Men
The 13th Warrior
Executive Decision
Ravenous
Demolition Man
Falling Down
Crimson Tide
U-571
Terminator 3

I LOVE Mystery Men
Terminator 3 is another great one

Off the top of my head:

Minority Report
Mulan
Jurassic Park
Magnolia
Pleasantville
Seven
Starship Troopers
Blade

Last edited:
The Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
The Neverending Story
Willow
The Goonies
Weird Science
Edward Scissor Hands
Idle Hands
Can't Hardly Wait
Toy Soldiers
The Game
Falling Down
Misery
Primal Fear
Se7en

The Neverending Story- That horse scene always scarred me every time I watched it when I was a kid

Can't Hardly Wait- I recently got the bluray for this movie. One of my top 10 all time comedies

Edward Scissorhands- Great Burton flick

sol_bad

The Neverending Story- That horse scene always scarred me every time I watched it when I was a kid

Can't Hardly Wait- I recently got the bluray for this movie. One of my top 10 all time comedies

Edward Scissorhands- Great Burton flick

The wolf scared the eff out of me in Neverending Story when I was young.
I think I was 15 or 16 when I saw Can't Hardly Wait and I watched it over and over and over at home.

The wolf scared the eff out of me in Neverending Story when I was young.
I think I was 15 or 16 when I saw Can't Hardly Wait and I watched it over and over and over at home.

Yeah I was a teenager when I watched Can't Hardly Wait. I would watch it multiple times. I had a huge thing for Jennifer Love Hewitt

As for Neverending Story I need to rewatch it, it's been so long since I last saw it

Last edited:
Captain Ron
High Fidelity
Addams Family Values
Major Payne
Insomnia
Lords of Dogtown
The Mothman Prophecy
…..a little variety for comedy, thriller, drama

sol_bad

I remember really enjoying Major Payne back in the day. Worried it won't hold up with a rewatch.
lol

Gonna go with things I haven't seen so far ITT.

Jacob's Ladder - Total mindfuck of a film. Just watch it first, then watch the YouTube plot breakdowns. Fight Club level of, "Oh shit," connections.

The King of New York - Christopher Walken plus a shit ton of popular young actors at the start of their careers. Basically the plot of GTA Vice City where Walken gets the band back together after a lengthy prison sentence, and sees a bunch of punks on his criminal empire lawn.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It would have to be films of the era that I remember watching with friends and family for the first time.

Jurassic Park
Matrix
Fight Club
Saving Private Ryan
Twister
Armageddon
Men in Black
Dances with Wolves
Blair Witch Project
Scream
The Mummy

I could go on for so much longer, but those are just from the top of my head.

Lasha

Starship Troopers might be my favorite movie of all time, so let's start there.

Wimbledon Wimbledon you're talking about finding good movies out of thousands across an entire decade. What kind of movies do you like? Might help people narrow it down for ya

Have you seen the HD cut of Starship Troopers? The film held up surprisingly well due to its liberal use of practical effects. Its also one of my favorite films even if it completely butchers the source material.

Have you seen the HD cut of Starship Troopers? The film held up surprisingly well due to its liberal use of practical effects. Its also one of my favorite films even if it completely butchers the source material.
I don't think I have, actually. I've got the DVD and a rip of said DVD. Should I look up a specific version to buy?

Right on about the practical effects. It's been a few years since I last watched it, but I thought the CG (from 1997!) was as convincing as any of the more recent Marvel movies. CGI characters look the least convincing when they interact with the real world imo, and the grunt bug design seemed like an intentional choice to minimize their contact with the ground. You don't get the unconvincing dust kicking up from their feet.

cGc

Lasha

I don't think I have, actually. I've got the DVD and a rip of said DVD. Should I look up a specific version to buy?

Right on about the practical effects. It's been a few years since I last watched it, but I thought the CG (from 1997!) was as convincing as any of the more recent Marvel movies. CGI characters look the least convincing when they interact with the real world imo, and the grunt bug design seemed like an intentional choice to minimize their contact with the ground. You don't get the unconvincing dust kicking up from their feet.

cGc

I think the 4k anniversary edition from 2018 is the right one. I think you hit the nail on the head. Starship troopers uses practical models for moments where the actors interact with the bugs. You never get the clean green screen effect that comes with modern films. The ships sequences are my favorite part. All of the battleships are actually scale models with the effects of combat added on top.

Top Bottom