• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Xbox controller, and how does it stack up to the Xbox Series controller?

Favorite Xbox Controller

• OG Xbox Duke Controller

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • OG Xbox S Controller

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Xbox 360 Controller

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Xbox One Rev1 Controller (Non-Bluetooth)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Xbox One Rev2 Controller (Bluetooth)

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Xbox One Elite Rev1 Controller

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Xbox One Elite Rev2 Controller

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • Xbox Series Controller

Votes: 48 40.3%

• Total voters

kiphalfton

It's been almost a year since the Series X/S came out. Many of you probably have had plenty of time to get well acquainted with the Xbox Series controller. What are your impressions? How does your favorite Xbox controller stack up to it (if your favorite controller doesn't just so happen to be the Xbox Series controller).

I ask as I have an Xbox One Bluetooth controller (the newer Xbox One controller revision), and I may be trading it in to get an Xbox Series controller, but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake doing so (since afaik the Xbox One Bluetooth controllers are no longer in production).

Gp1

Xbox 360 is definitely my favorite
Built like a soviet tank and still is my main controller on PC.

I even bought a xbox one (blue tooth ver.) not so long ago but i barely use it

Last edited:

drganon

Xbox one controller is my favourite and overall a really solid controller. That being said, the 2nd model of the of xbox controller was pretty good too, at least from what I remember of it.

Plantoid

Xbox series is the best, the dpad alone is the single most important change they made... Also the size, grips, the option to connect to smartphone and switch back to console on the fly... It's just good, durable, my cousin is using my old Xbox one controller that I've used on PC back when I had no console, controller has like 6 years, he's a child he drops it, uses too much force while playing, still works perfectly, no drift, nothing.

But I haven't used the elite series so that must be better (too expensive)

Xbox 360 was the best, but after that, they've all been pretty similar. I hate the clicking sounds the Series controller's D-pad and face buttons make. I also don't like the feel of the big rounded face buttons.

I have not used the Elite series, so I can't really compare there. The Xbox One controller was my all time favorite controller from the 20+ consoles I've owned. I think the Series controllers has replaced it, but I'm still not 100% sure. The Series controller feels slightly smaller in my hands, which I don't like. On the other hand I really like the textured grip and I feel like the bumpers and triggers are both more precise. I was actually pretty glad they didn't make a massive change in the controller this gen.

Series.

The Xbone Controller had a way better dpad than the 360 (which was important to me as I like fighting games and had to buy fight pads for the 360), but it was a bit bigger and didn’t fit my hands as well.

The Series controller is a bit smaller and closer to the 360 pad size, while having an even better dpad for fighting games, so for me it’s perfect.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Series controller followed by the OG S Controller (haven't used the elite)

Don't get the love for the xbox 360 controller, the shitty dpad, fat battery back not that great to hold it was decent for the time but you couldn't pay me to use that shit now

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Elite Series 2 is the best feel and weight. Before that I had a Forza controller that was blue that was amazing.
I still have that blue Forza console and controller and agreed that was a great controller

I think it was my first controller with a rubberized back that I loved and actually stayed glued on unlike my Elite 1 controllers

kiphalfton

Xbox 360 is definitely my favorite
Built like a soviet tank and still is my main controller at PC.

I even bought a xbox one (blue tooth ver.) not so long ago but i barely use it

Oof. Just traded in my Xbox 360 controller. GameStop gave me $19 for it (since they have a promo going right now, where you get up to 60% extra credit on trade ins if you trade in 5 or more games/accessories and have power up pro membership).

May also possibly trade in my Xbox One controller for $40, but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake doing so as Xbox One controllers don't seem to be being manufactured anymore and appear to have been replaced altogether by the Xbox Series controller. So no going back, unless I bought a used Xbox One controller.

NinjaBoiX

They’ve just got better with each version, although I never had an Xbox One.

Series Controller > 360 Controller > Controller S >>>> Duke

The Duke was awful, the S wasn’t a revision, it was an admission.

Prior to the Series controller, it was definitely the 360. They just took that and really perfected controller design. In my opinion of course.

Alan Wake

It's a close call between 360, One and Series. I don't like what they did to the D pad, other than that the Series controller is the best. The 360 controller holds up incredibly well after 15 years. Again it's the D pad.

I've only used the series controller for a a short time, but overall I would say the XB1 controllers are all top notch, whether it's the original version or the elite versions. It's one of my favorite controllers of all time. Even the standard controller has excellent build quality, especially when compared to the Dual Shock 4.

nkarafo

Does the Series X controller work with the official Microsoft wireless dongle for Xbox One controllers on PC?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I love the feel of the series controller. the trimmed off just the right of bulk in the right places. It still has one massive glaring flaw though.

That god damn light cannot be dimmed ! is it reallt so hard ot put an option for barely on?

Kacho

Gold Member
Never tried any of the Elite versions so I'll have to go with the Series controller since it's basically perfect. Love the grip texture on the backside.

Does the Series X controller work with the official Microsoft wireless dongle for Xbox One controllers on PC?
My controller works fine with it.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Bought Elite 2 controller few weeks ago, and it's just leaps beyond the default one. Just when you take it for the first time in you hands and feel its weight makes you think "FINALLY something for a grown man, not a toy for 12yo kids". The materials are so nice as well, it has this soft feel to it which I absolutely adore. The sticks are more strudy, again, not so loose so even a baby can use them. The back paddles are an amazing add-on, along as full button mapping even if a game doesn't allow it. And then there are the triggers, which honestly make it impossible to go back to any other controller, whenever I got to play on something else the triggers feel literally broken now because of how deep they go, and here in Elite 2 it's just a short click, like it always should've been. While the Series controller other than a rubber grip basically doesn't differ from XB1 controllers, yeah it's very comfortable, yeah it does its job,but that's about it.

Artistic

I love the feel of the series controller. the trimmed off just the right of bulk in the right places. It still has one massive glaring flaw though.

That god damn light cannot be dimmed ! is it reallt so hard ot put an option for barely on?
I could be wrong, but I thought they fixed this with a update.

Artistic

Speaking of controllers, I think I need a new Series X controller. 3 months in and it already has analog drift.

The 360 controller has the most comfortable shape and I like that the buttons aren't as clicky. Buuut the d-pad sucks ass so I don't really use it. XB1 controller is not as comfortable but still pretty good and the d-pad is fine. Series controller seems to be roughly the same as XB1.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Elite V1, but only because I don't have the Elite V2.

All other choices of anything related to xbox one or series controllers are wrong objectively. The elites are the same controllers but with more features and customizability and more premium materials.

Judging by the votes, not many people own an elite controller.

Last edited:

Starhowl

With the firmware upgrade soon coming to the Elite 2 controller, what’s the differences between the new next gen and the Elite 2 gonna be?

Kagey K

Banned
I love the Elite Series 2 controller, but I wish it's d pad was as clicky as the Series controller.

Elite 2
Series
Duke

evanft

The Xbox series controller is the best version of the Xbox controller design ever released. I wished it worked on every single system.

Naked Lunch

Im extremely picky with my controllers - I take controllers very seriously.
While ive always found Xbox's controllers to be the best available in gaming, there was always a certain snag they held each one back (original XB's and 360's dpad. XB1's bumpers).
The Series is the best Xbox controller to date. The bumpers and triggers are premium and they finally put a good Dpad on there.

There is still one drawback to the Series controller though: the tension of the thumbsticks - still a touch too loose for my tastes.

Exentryk

Elite v2 is the best controller I've used. I play on pc and the paddles allow me extra buttons for screenshot capture and video recordings. They also allow further mappings if you require.

The overall weight and feel of the controller just feels so premium. You can set how deep the triggers should go (three settings) and the sticks also have three settings for tension. It comes with two styles of dpads and due to magnetic connections, it's very easy to swap and change stuff as you need.

The only issue I'll mention is that this controller has very poor quality control , and I'm currently on my fourth one. But even with this issue, it's still the best controller on the market.

Last edited:
I've used a 360 controller for 10 years on PC. Recently bought a series controller and it's just a little bit better in every way. The clicky dpad, the textured bumpers and grips, the size and feel are all just better. So it gets my vote.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Im extremely picky with my controllers - I take controllers very seriously.
While ive always found Xbox's controllers to be the best available in gaming, there was always a certain snag they held each one back (original XB's and 360's dpad. XB1's bumpers).
The Series is the best Xbox controller to date. The bumpers and triggers are premium and they finally put a good Dpad on there.

There is still one drawback to the Series controller though: the tension of the thumbsticks - still a touch too loose for my tastes.
Get an elite 2, you can adjust the tension in the sticks. Also its the best controller available. You won't be able to go back once you get used to using the paddles as face buttons.

Last edited:
It is massively overpriced and absolutely not really worth the £160 asking price on reflection but the Xbox Elite v2 controller is definitely the best controller Microsoft have ever released, especially now they've fixed the weak shoulder button issue that the original Elite controller suffered from (and led to mine breaking after just 18 months of careful use). The Elite v2 is also far more comfortable to hold for long periods and has an excellent recharge dock that is small but works perfectly. They even improved the underside paddles so that they don't get in the way in the same way as on the original where they were just a bit too big to avoid hitting accidentally.

I still personally find the Xbox controller's implementation of vibration to be a bit 'buzzy' and annoying compared with the superior offerings on the PS4 and, especially, the PS5 but that is honestly the only weak area.

By the way, I don't actualy use the Elite v2 controller on an Xbox console either, though I do own a (mostly unused) Xbox One X, I use it to play about 95% of my PC games where it works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Get an elite 2, you can adjust the tension in the sticks. Also its the best controller available. You won't be able to go back once you get used to using the paddles as face buttons.
See I dont trust the elite 2 because it has the revision of XB1 bumpers that are known to break - in fact, that bumper revision I broke 2 myself.
Ill wait for the next variant of elite where they (hopefully) change the bumpers to Series style.

MrFunSocks

Banned
See I dont trust the elite 2 because it has the revision of XB1 bumpers that are known to break - in fact, that bumper revision I broke 2 myself.
Ill wait for the next variant of elite where they (hopefully) change the bumpers to Series style.
Yeah I hear you, but if it breaks they'll just replace it no questions asked, even out of warranty. I got my Elite replaced for free like 6 months outside warranty. The benefits of the controller far outweigh a potential breakage down the line that would be a minor inconvenience.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've replaced two of mine because of this.. But the replacement experience has been solid so far; quick and no questions asked.

Other than that I just can't do without it, the customization of tension and sticks is a huge thing for me, and I can't even play without paddles anymore..

Razer Wolverine Ultimate. No other company makes the extra button layout like Razer does, mainly talking about the extra buttons next to LB/RB. It just is so comfy for me, and the whole grip and adjustable sticks and switchable d-pad. It has a great design. This being said the material quality is dogshit, so it's not really worth it's prize, but I still bought my 3rd one because no one else makes this layout.

jigglet

Banned
I haven't tried the latest one but I get the feeling I will love it. I was a fan of the XB1 controller but always felt it was a tad too big. Apparently the new one is 1mm smaller all around? That sounds perfect to me.

Top Bottom