• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite thing about playing a game for the very first time?

mortal

Gold Member
I'd imagine some people really enjoy exploring new maps, and some enjoy a new story and characters to become emotionally invested in. Or maybe it's the social element of having a new favorite online game with some friends.

I think for me it's learning to grasp the movement and the mechanics. Especially that period when I haven't quite mastered the controls to S-tier and the game is still challenging but fair.

Going through the options. It's a ritual. It's not exactly my favourite thing, but when a game has solid options without overdoing it on the UI, you know you're in for a treat.

for me Souls games are my all time favorite, that initial menu music followed but he brief intro cinematic are magical to me. I also enjoy the boss cutscenes the first time around.

Kuranghi

Thinking the game is a certain size or has a certain scope or limit to the gameplay and then that expectation being busted wide open. I've played games a long time now so I've come to see the strings and can infer whats possible but I do get surprised from time to time, last games that did that for me were The Talos Principle, MGS Phantom Pain, Hitman reboot, The Witness and then BotW. I'm sure there are a few others I've forgotten too, indie titles.

I'm hoping TotK scratches that itch again.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That depends on the game I'm playing.

For example when I play new SMT game for first time, my favourite thing to do is immediately try recruit Demons and fuse them.

But for FROM games is to see the locals and enemy/boss designs.

RavageX

Used to be reading the manuals. Varies from game to game but typically im looking for that part where the game hooks me with the story or the first time the game lets you explore freely (combat, cars, the world, creative options).

Kuranghi

Used to be reading the manuals. Varies from game to game but typically im looking for that part where the game hooks me with the story or the first time the game lets you explore freely (combat, cars, the world, creative options).

I am sad they are gone too, one of my earliest gaming memories is buying The Settlers in town and then driving home with my dad, we had to stop off at a farmhouse to buy dinner before heading back. He told me not to open it in the car in case I lost part of it and when we pulled into the farmhouse shop to get some food for dinner of course I opened it and started reading the manual. He came back and I hurriedly put it all back together and shoved it in the bag. It was hot and I had the car door open, I closed it and we drove back home with the giant steak pie he had bought.

We got home and I discovered that of course I had dropped the manual out of the car door and onto the farmyard road in my rush. He was kinda mad and said forget about it but after I explained I had no idea what to do without the manual, he phoned ahead and then we drove back to the farmhouse. We met the rubenesque farmer's wife at the entrance, she was holding the manual and gave it to my dad, she looked at me and said "So... what is this?" I still remember her puzzled face to this day.

I showed her how you could have a farm with pigs, then have them butchered and make sausages and then use them to feed the village/city/empire. She thought that was amazing, I like to think it started her on her own gaming journey.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The immersion.
I binge it and go all in. The characters, the story, the graphics, the music, the gameplay, the unlockables, the journey... I enjoy it all.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup.

Especially PC games. Not for all the installation and troubleshooting sections back in the day. But PC games are historically more complex than console games, so you got thick manuals of stats and controls no console game compared to. PC games also came in big boxes, so you got reference cards, like Heroes of M&M where it came with a laminated card to show all units and stats.

gothmog

Gold Member
I love it when a great game "clicks". That point when the controls start to feel natural and you start kicking ass. I also hate the feeling when you come back to a game after a long break and realize that you lost that sense of control.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I just started Watch_Dogs 2 (I love the underscore, wish Legion didn't get rid of it). Right off the bat it was really fun, not really sure why. Was just good at throwing me some fun toys to play with.
When the game gives me something to wow me, to either tightly engage me or spark my imagination, then I'm hooked. Skyrim quickly immerses me, Dying Light quickly grips me with its liberating movement mechanics. With Watch_Dogs 2, I think I was really hooked after playing a few rounds of its seamless multiplayer modes. That shit kicks ass. It's gonna suck when Ubisoft kills those servers, wish every game company could be cool like Valve and just give us the server software.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The mandatory press RT to fire, press square to duck, press x to jump, press circle to use an item in every game. Ever.

seeing the achievements it has and strategically planning how to get through the game as quick as possible while obtaining all achievements /s

iu

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
playing unspoiled when the game mechanically expands on itself giving you more options after mastering previous ones

Rockondevil

That question is so game dependent though.

Some have an amazing open world to immerse in.
Some have an amazing story that just captivates you.
Some have brilliant mechanics and gameplay.

Hogwarts and Elden Ring are two recent games I’ve been extremely fond of for basically covering everything.

Top Bottom