• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite JRPG of 2022?

What's your favorite JRPG of 2022?

• Pokemon Legends: Arceus

• Atelier Sophie 2

• Elden Ring

• Babylon's Fall

• Triangle Strategy

• Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins

• Rune Factory 5

• Live a Live Remake

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Soul Hackers 2

• The Diofield Chronicles

• Valkyrie Elysium

• Star Ocean: The Divine Force

• Harvestella

• Tactics Ogre Reborn

• Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

• Crisis Core

• Trails From Zero

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nautilus

Banned
With the year of 2022 behind us, I would like to (once again) ask you the question: What's your favorite JRPG of 2022?

I'll provide the list below of (most) JRPGs that released in 2022, because I'll be the first to admit that its hard to remember them all!

- Pokemon Legends: Arceus
- Atelier Sophie 2
- Elden Ring
- Babylon's Fall
- Triangle Strategy
- Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
- Rune Factory 5
- Live a Live Remake
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3
- Soul Hackers 2
- The Diofield Chronicles
- Valkyrie Elysium
- Star Ocean: The Divine Force
- Harvestella
- Tactics Ogre Reborn
- Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
- Crisis Core

Forgive me if I forgot some game!

Nautilus

Banned
Mine is XC 3. Even if I had issues with the game's plot, it still was a wonderful experience, and the best of the bunch.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Babylon’s Fall is on the poll but not Trails from Zero? :pie_diana:

edit: I think Chained Echoes also deserves some recognition/love

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So many good JRPGs last year that I fully expect memes in 10 years like "all these came out in 2022" showing everything in OPs poll

Nautilus

Banned
Babylon’s Fall is on the poll but not Trails from Zero? :pie_diana:

edit: I think Chained Echoes also deserves some recognition/love
Trails from Zero is basically a port from an old game, but sure I included it.

Chained Echoes is awesome, but its made by a german developer, so its not a JRPG.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Star Ocean for me. It’a fast paced and fun, I found the characters surprisingly likeable, and it’s mostly free from anime bullshit. Not perfect by any means but it’s probably the most fun I had with a JRPG last year.

Stranger of Paradise is probably my #2 after that

Reactions: Isa

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
jurassic park deal with it GIF

I suppose Pokemon, Star Ocean, Stranger of Paradise and Elden Ring are the only worthy games on that list.

tkscz

Live A Live remake. Did not expect the game to be as good as it was. Like the fact that each story was pretty short, especially after playing Octopath traveler and how each person's story could be pretty lengthy and grindy.

why put Elden Ring in there?
If you subscribe to the belief that JRPGs have to be old style games while WRPGs can be modern then JRPGs will always be definitionally inferior. Elden Ring is a modern Japanese role playing/ action / adventure game.

The genres dont have that much meaning these days anyway.

What is Dragons Dogma 2 going to be, a WRPG? Action game? What is Witcher 3 then? What is Cyberpunk? What is FFXVI?

Last edited:

Interfectum

If you subscribe to the belief that JRPGs have to be old style games while WRPGs can be modern then JRPGs will always be definitionally inferior. Elden Ring is a modern Japanese role playing/ action / adventure game.

The genres dont have that much meaning these days anyway.

What is Dragons Dogma 2 going to be, a WRPG? Action game? What is Witcher 3 then? What is Cyberpunk?
Yeah I get it but it's just going to mess up the poll. If we all agree Elden Ring is a JRPG, the poll would be much more interesting saying "Besides Elden Ring, what was the best JRPG of 2022."

Metnut

Really liked Elden Ring. If I’m not allowed to pick that, then I’ll go with Star Ocean. Was a return to form for the franchise.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Surprised to see so much love for the new Star Ocean here. I'm going to have to check that game out I guess.

Nautilus

Banned
Really liked Elden Ring. If I’m not allowed to pick that, then I’ll go with Star Ocean. Was a return to form for the franchise.
You are allowed to pick anything you want! Every game on that list is a JRPG, and thus a worthy contender!

oof to see both elden ring the open world soulsborne action rpg and tactics ogre the strategy game both getting picked as jrpgs....

You know our current game of the year system lets u nominate any game in any position...so elden ring could very well win best action game, best adventure game and best rpg haha

btw I voted xc3

Last edited:

Akuza89

Pokemon legends arceus for me.
I always forget that pokemon is an RPG or even a JRPG...

legends arceus really surprised with it's different approach, picked up violet, just not had any chance to play that yet though.

nocsi

Dragon Quest Treasures is objectively a better game than like half that list, shame for excluding it.
It’s basically the shitty parts of an mmo. Barely any monsters, fetch quest gameplay loop and half asses controls

Last edited:

lachesis

I played Persona 3 FES (PS2 classics on PS3) for the first time to the end - so it would have to be it. (I know it's decades old)
Other than that, Tales from Zero Kai - also several years old game, even though it's released in U.S. on Steam this year.

ranmafan

This year I had Elden Ring at the top, followed by Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Triangle Strategy. The Trails games would be on the list too for me but I'm in the middle of playing them all so I7m in catchup mode.

Top Bottom