• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your absolutely favorite childhood gaming memory? Here's mine (Magic Sword)

ssringo

Hanging out a friend's house and the parents were playing the brand new Legend of Zelda (NES). They let us play for a bit but were a bit condescending about how we'd "find" places they had already finished. They weren't really being nasty about it but as a little kid it was kind of a bummer. Eventually after not much progress we stopped playing and had dinner. I wound up spending the night and we played Zelda well into the night after the parents went to sleep.

Come the next day the parents turn the game on only to find we had progressed way further than they'd ever seen and were awestruck and a bit upset. Was pretty proud about our accomplishments after the previous day.

Looking back they had barely gotten past the first dungeon and a couple random hearts. We got through a couple more dungeons and the associated loot, the white sword and a few more hearts along with farming the rupees to buy the blue ring. Nothing amazing and a halfway decent player would do that in under an hour but back then that felt like monumental progress through a massive game.

VGEsoterica

Hanging out a friend's house and the parents were playing the brand new Legend of Zelda (NES). They let us play for a bit but were a bit condescending about how we'd "find" places they had already finished. They weren't really being nasty about it but as a little kid it was kind of a bummer. Eventually after not much progress we stopped playing and had dinner. I wound up spending the night and we played Zelda well into the night after the parents went to sleep.

Come the next day the parents turn the game on only to find we had progressed way further than they'd ever seen and were awestruck and a bit upset. Was pretty proud about our accomplishments after the previous day.

Looking back they had barely gotten past the first dungeon and a couple random hearts. We got through a couple more dungeons and the associated loot, the white sword and a few more hearts along with farming the rupees to buy the blue ring. Nothing amazing and a halfway decent player would do that in under an hour but back then that felt like monumental progress through a massive game.
I remember finding out in The Legend of Zelda from a Nintendo Power (or some other mag. Honestly can’t remember...a gaming mag) that if you used ZELDA as the file name you got the second quest.

my kid brain was like “holy shit there’s more”!?

I remember when it was happening because we were getting new carpet in our house that day. Weird memory!

Top Bottom