• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with Digital Foundry?

Hated for telling 360 games had better resolution and frame rate over PS3.

Loved for telling PS4 1080p games looked better than Xbox One.

Hated for telling gamers SeX is more powerful than PS5.
Absolute truth right here. Well said. Long story short it's the disgruntled Sony fanboys that are to blame. Xbox One fans took their lumps when they had the inferior console, but then the One X came out and ever since Sony fanboys lost their shit and started hating the people who speak objectively on the differences.

FranXico

It may have been DF saying how Xbox games that were running at half the framerate from the PS4 version were more consistent.
They said that of Tomb Raider running at capped 30fps on the Xbox One. The PS4 version had uncapped frame rate sitting mostly on 50s.

FranXico

They were shitting on the Xbox One for not running anything as well as the PS4.
Compared to how much they consistently shat on the PS3 before, they were very tame to say the least. Even going to the point of mentioning "friends and controller" as advantages in their technical reviews. Suffice to say, the PS4 Pro never got such excuses since the X1X came out. Anybody who followed RL's work for years knows the difference.

LED Guy?

Banned
The only problem I have is with Alex Battaglia to be honest, that dude hangs out with the discord group known as “Xbox Era”, the group that has been spreading fake FUD rumors about PS5 since April 2019 when Mark Cerny 1st talked about PS5 specs with WIRED.

Alex has been making and reaching to some bizarre conclusions, especially with his Halo Infinite video, he was saying that everything wrong with Halo Infinite was the lighting, and it’s not only that, the game has ugly models, bad textures, very sparse overall geometry, and just overall very average graphics, yet “it’s all in the lighting”.

He even downplays consoles and comes off as a PC elitist sometimes, and I love how John Linneman just stops his fanboyism in these DF Directs multiple times. 🤣🤣🤣

But yeah, there are stuff that I don’t agree with him at all, he even said RDR 2 on PC is a very optimized port, nuff said.

Digital Foundry is the most credible and respectful gaming tech analysis channel in gaming, but Alex Battaglia is that little bacteria that’s hanging out with the clean folks like John Linneman & Richard Leadbetter.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The only problem I have is with Alex Battaglia to be honest, that dude hangs out with the discord group known as “Xbox Era”, the group that has been spreading fake FUD rumors about PS5 since April 2019 when Mark Cerny 1st talked about PS5 specs with WIRED.

Alex has been making and reaching to some bizarre conclusions, especially with his Halo Infinite video, he was saying that everything wrong with Halo Infinite was the lighting, and it’s not only that, the game has ugly models, bad textures, very sparse overall geometry, and just overall very average graphics, yet “it’s all in the lighting”.

He even downplays consoles and comes off as a PC elitist sometimes, and I love how John Linneman just stops his fanboyism in these DF Directs multiple times. 🤣🤣🤣

But yeah, there are stuff that I don’t agree with him at all, he even said RDR 2 on PC is a very optimized port, nuff said.

Digital Foundry is the most credible and respectful gaming tech analysis channel in gaming, but Alex Battaglia is that little bacteria that’s hanging out with the clean folks like John Linneman AMD Richard Leadbetter.
Lighting makes a *massive* difference in games, and it can absolutely completely change how a game looks. Have a look at any raytracing vs non-raytracing lighting video to see that. Even Minecraft looks massively different with RT.

Lighting affects textures, models, and geometry btw.

LED Guy?

Banned
Lighting makes a *massive* difference in games, and it can absolutely completely change how a game looks. Have a look at any raytracing vs non-raytracing lighting video to see that. Even Minecraft looks massively different with RT.

Yeah I know, but the game looks average even with the best lighting conditions.

They hurt fanboy feelings, and I love it.
pgeqCU.gif
This deserves more upvotes my dude. :messenger_ok:

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I love Digital Foundry and can't wait for their tear downs of the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 as well as their direct head to head comparisons for third party multi-platform games.

Xbox 360 multi-platform games looked, ran and performed better than their PlayStation 3 counterpart because Xbox 360 was simply the better console.

PlayStation 4 multi-platform games looked, ran and performed better than their Xbox One counterpart because PlayStation 4 was simply the better console until Xbox One X and for the last almost three years, multi-platform games have looked, ran and performed better than their PlayStation 4 Pro counterpart because Xbox One X was and still is the better console.

Xbox Series X multi-platform games WILL look, run and perform better than their PlayStation 5 counterpart because Xbox Series X is simply going to be the better console. It's all very simple.

I will buy Xbox Series X day one because the vast majority of the games I play will be multi-platform games and I want these games to look, run and perform the best they can. Barring the developer going half-assed, they all will be better because the console itself is better. I will still buy PlayStation 5 because im a gamer and I want to play their exclusives but it will be my secondary exclusives only console. I will not play a single multi-platform game on PlayStation 5 and any game that is timed that I want to play, I will wait for the game to release on Xbox Series X because again, the console itself is better and thus, those multi-platform games will look, run and perform better which is what I want.

PlayStation 5 fanboys will probably go nuts once they see the head to head comparisons on Digital Foundry for all the multi-platform games but the funny thing is that if you're not buying an Xbox Series X or have any interest in Xbox eco-system, then it truly shouldn't matter if you have the superior version of the multi-platform game or not because you're not giving yourself the option to play it on the better hardware so what's the point in complaining about it?

I have ZERO interest in PC gaming. Not my thing but I know games will always look, run and perform better on a PC as long as your have the specs to do so but im not going to complain about it as I don't have any interest in PC gaming so why would I complain? SMH.

As for Halo Infinite, the game is going to be a 10/10 in visuals when I play the game on my LG CX OLED. Every game is literally a 9 or 10 in visuals. I haven't been disappointed since the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 generation when it comes to visuals and even then, it was minimal. I have watched the trailer five times in 1080P/60FPS (mainly because im just too fucking lazy to setup my 4K TV and watch it there) but even at that resolution and it being compressed on YouTube, I have no issues with the visuals or art style and art direction. My only negative is that Ray Tracing won't be day one which sucks and will be why I wait before playing the game but at the same time, im going to have up to 10 other games to play at launch so I can easily afford to wait to play the game.

Lighting definitely makes a huge difference in games. This is a pretty obvious thing and should be common sense to everyone. Halo Infinite simply didn't "pop" and that was because of the lighting in the gameplay trailer but at the same time, I believe 343 Industries showed what they showed all on purpose as they know the internet will bitch, moan, groan and complain despite majority probably having zero interest in the game itself but it's actually a brilliant move because when the game is finally seen running on Xbox Series X, it's going to obviously blow away that demo. Instead of "wowing" everyone with a demo and then, possibly having to "downgrade" the visuals for launch (like the vast majority are), they instead did the opposite by underwhelming everyone now with a demo that none of us can actually play and when the game actually releases, the visuals will be seen as "upgraded" instead of being "downgraded" like almost every game that gets released.

The funniest part of this all is that when Digital Foundry is praising the PlayStation version, everyone loves them but when they don't and instead praise Xbox, everyone hates them. It's fucking hilarious to me. Luckily for me, I always go with the better console because 80%+ of my complete games in a generation will be multi-platform so none of this thankfully affects me and even in the few years it did with PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, it didn't matter because I was a PlayStation 4 guy and whichever console I choose first to be my primary simply going to change regardless of what the other company does.

With all of that said, im super hyped for XBOX SERIES X and eventually PlayStation 5. I have 2 games left for the current generation - Wasteland 3 and Mafia Remake as well as Season Two for The Division 2 and the Subject 2923 expansion for Remnant. By October, this generation will be 100% finalized, completed and done followed by me trading in the PlayStation 4 Pro and just waiting for the awesomeness of next gen!!! Whoooo!!!

Rea

Will Ray tracing make Craig looks prettier??

LED Guy?

Banned
How do you know? You’ve literally seen 1 video of the game lol.
For a 60fps open world Xbox one game it looks fine.
You even said it yourself that it looks “fine”.

That’s where I’m getting at, and you can see the geometry, the models, textures, grass culling in, and just overall it looks average, a game like TLOU 2 or RDR 2 (even with the worst possible lighting situations) DESTROY Halo Infinite graphically!!

Stop it.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Digital Foundry is the most credible and respectful gaming tech analysis channel in gaming, but Alex Battaglia is that little bacteria that’s hanging out with the clean folks like John Linneman AMD Richard Leadbetter.

That sums it up pretty good I have no problem with Digital Foundry but Alex is just insuferable.
I have no problem against bias unless it contradicts directly your job.
Richard for example is more inclined toward Xbox I believe but in his analysis he stay as objective as possible.

So the main problem is how Alex treats games diferently based on whom published them(I'm not speaking AAA vs indie).
S what's wrong with digital foundry Alex aka dictator (what a suiting nickname btw)I even remember a thread where (I think it was nib95?) was banned because He quoted Dictator on something he said he never said, The user showed prooves and direct quotes.
So when faced with a proof, his answer is banning people under "harassment" complaint, because to him showing him he was wrong is harassment.
That shows quite a lot how objective he is because we all know that an analysis when proved wrong is harassment and thus the analysis is not wrong .
It's like saying 111x6 is not equal to 666 because I'm hexakosioihexekontahexaphobic (fear of the 666 number).It may cause fear toward you but your feelings won't change the truth.

pyrocro

More talk about personal traits of presenters, why not just show the bais in their data.
A radical idea I know,
and what a weak argument of Alex being a member or a particular forum is, is he a member of any Sony/PS4 PS5, what is that you don't know(so it's just confirmation bias informing your search, ok)
their presentations are well within acceptable margins of error since they are mostly done from the player observable perspective.

Alex gives the Best insight in his videos, all I see is really weak arguments against him, just real pathetic "Becky I saw him talking to Stacy outside of class, now we don't like him" stuff
4b08sw.jpg

Last edited:

FranXico

I love Digital Foundry and can't wait for their tear downs of the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 as well as their direct head to head comparisons for third party multi-platform games.

Xbox 360 multi-platform games looked, ran and performed better than their PlayStation 3 counterpart because Xbox 360 was simply the better console.

PlayStation 4 multi-platform games looked, ran and performed better than their Xbox One counterpart because PlayStation 4 was simply the better console until Xbox One X and for the last almost three years, multi-platform games have looked, ran and performed better than their PlayStation 4 Pro counterpart because Xbox One X was and still is the better console.

Xbox Series X multi-platform games WILL look, run and perform better than their PlayStation 5 counterpart because Xbox Series X is simply going to be the better console. It's all very simple.

I will buy Xbox Series X day one because the vast majority of the games I play will be multi-platform games and I want these games to look, run and perform the best they can. Barring the developer going half-assed, they all will be better because the console itself is better. I will still buy PlayStation 5 because im a gamer and I want to play their exclusives but it will be my secondary exclusives only console. I will not play a single multi-platform game on PlayStation 5 and any game that is timed that I want to play, I will wait for the game to release on Xbox Series X because again, the console itself is better and thus, those multi-platform games will look, run and perform better which is what I want.

PlayStation 5 fanboys will probably go nuts once they see the head to head comparisons on Digital Foundry for all the multi-platform games but the funny thing is that if you're not buying an Xbox Series X or have any interest in Xbox eco-system, then it truly shouldn't matter if you have the superior version of the multi-platform game or not because you're not giving yourself the option to play it on the better hardware so what's the point in complaining about it?

I have ZERO interest in PC gaming. Not my thing but I know games will always look, run and perform better on a PC as long as your have the specs to do so but im not going to complain about it as I don't have any interest in PC gaming so why would I complain? SMH.

As for Halo Infinite, the game is going to be a 10/10 in visuals when I play the game on my LG CX OLED. Every game is literally a 9 or 10 in visuals. I haven't been disappointed since the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 generation when it comes to visuals and even then, it was minimal. I have watched the trailer five times in 1080P/60FPS (mainly because im just too fucking lazy to setup my 4K TV and watch it there) but even at that resolution and it being compressed on YouTube, I have no issues with the visuals or art style and art direction. My only negative is that Ray Tracing won't be day one which sucks and will be why I wait before playing the game but at the same time, im going to have up to 10 other games to play at launch so I can easily afford to wait to play the game.

Lighting definitely makes a huge difference in games. This is a pretty obvious thing and should be common sense to everyone. Halo Infinite simply didn't "pop" and that was because of the lighting in the gameplay trailer but at the same time, I believe 343 Industries showed what they showed all on purpose as they know the internet will bitch, moan, groan and complain despite majority probably having zero interest in the game itself but it's actually a brilliant move because when the game is finally seen running on Xbox Series X, it's going to obviously blow away that demo. Instead of "wowing" everyone with a demo and then, possibly having to "downgrade" the visuals for launch (like the vast majority are), they instead did the opposite by underwhelming everyone now with a demo that none of us can actually play and when the game actually releases, the visuals will be seen as "upgraded" instead of being "downgraded" like almost every game that gets released.

The funniest part of this all is that when Digital Foundry is praising the PlayStation version, everyone loves them but when they don't and instead praise Xbox, everyone hates them. It's fucking hilarious to me. Luckily for me, I always go with the better console because 80%+ of my complete games in a generation will be multi-platform so none of this thankfully affects me and even in the few years it did with PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, it didn't matter because I was a PlayStation 4 guy and whichever console I choose first to be my primary simply going to change regardless of what the other company does.

With all of that said, im super hyped for XBOX SERIES X and eventually PlayStation 5. I have 2 games left for the current generation - Wasteland 3 and Mafia Remake as well as Season Two for The Division 2 and the Subject 2923 expansion for Remnant. By October, this generation will be 100% finalized, completed and done followed by me trading in the PlayStation 4 Pro and just waiting for the awesomeness of next gen!!! Whoooo!!!
This post brought to you by the Xbox Series X Entertainment System.

Fastest. Most Powerful.

12TF Consistent Power.

Coming to you Holiday 2020.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You even said it yourself that it looks “fine”.

That’s where I’m getting at, and you can see the geometry, the models, textures, grass culling in, and just overall it looks average, a game like TLOU 2 or RDR 2 (even with the worst possible lighting situations) DESTROY Halo Infinite graphically!!

Stop it.
TLOU2 is a highly linear 30fps game with baked lighting. You picked the absolute extreme opposite to what halo infinite is lol.

RDR2 is made by wizards.

LED Guy?

Banned
TLOU2 is a 30fps game with baked lighting. You picked the absolute extreme opposite to what halo infinite is lol.

RDR2 is made by wizards.
Where do I begin with you? 😂😂

1. Every game has "baked lighting", I don't know why did you come up with such excuse.
2. TLOU 2 isn't a "highly linear" game, it has huge open spaces that put Halo Infinite to shame.
3. Halo Infinite is running on a 12 TFLOPs machine, while TLOU 2 & RDR 2 are running on 1.8 TFLOPs with Jaguar cores.
4. It's why Naughty Dog & Rockstar are praised for their technical prowess & just sheer amount of details their games have, ESPECIALLY TLOU 2, it is in a league of its own when it comes to graphics, details & animations.
5. It's not only the lighting, Halo Infinite looks weak in almost every graphical asset compared to TLOU 2.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

1. Every game has "baked lighting", I don't know why did you come up with such excuse.
2. TLOU 2 isn't a "highly linear" game, it has huge open spaces that put Halo Infinite to shame.
3. Halo Infinite is running on a 12 TFLOPs machine, while TLOU 2 & RDR 2 are running on 1.8 TFLOPs with Jaguar cores.
4. It's why Naughty Dog & Rockstar are praised for their technical prowess & just sheer amount of details their games have, ESPECIALLY TLOU 2, it is in a league of its own when it comes to graphics, details & animations.
5. It's not only the lighting, Halo Infinite looks weak in almost every graphical asset compared to TLOU 2.
1. You don't know the difference between baked lighting and global illumination, or why it might be worth mentioning when talking about graphics? Really? I'm not saying baked lighting is bad either, just that global illumination with full day/night cycles is infinitely more processor intensive.
2. You've literally seen 1 video of one section of Halo Infinite and you know this? lol. TLOU2 is highly linear.
3. Halo Infinite is running on a 12TF machine the same way that RDR2 is though - it's a 1.3TF console game running via backwards compatibility. It's not an XSX game made for 12TF.
4. Ok?
5. You don't seem to understand that lighting literally affects almost every other graphical asset in a game. You also don't seem to understand that an open world 60fps game with global illumination is going to have a lot of concessions graphically compared to a linear 30fps game with baked lighting.

Edit: oh just saw your avatar......... yeh I can see you going on the ignore list very soon.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

Nothing? I mean I still watch their content, I'm not seeing issues. I think a lot of folks really buy into the idea there's a lot of adults out there doing the teenage console warrior nonsense. Nope.

Banned

the fuck did I just read?

1. not every game has baked lighting, that's simply a false statement. I can name a lot that don't... Halo Infinite being one of them btw. which is honestly one of the reasons that it looks as flat as it does
2. the actual fuck? that one town sequence that has a bunch of branching paths? yeah...
3. running a 1080p30 game at 4K 60 fps demands an 8x increase in raw GPU power (4x increase in pixels per second simply by going to 4k, and another 2x increase per second from there to go to 60fps). 8 x 1.8 = 14.4. this means running TLOU2 at the framerate and resolution of Halo infinite would need a 14.4TF GCN gpu
4. yeah they are great at pumping their games full of details but seemingly have noone in their teams to actually design and program compelling gameplay
5. see point 3

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
1. You don't know the difference between baked lighting and global illumination, or why it might be worth mentioning when talking about graphics? Really? I'm not saying baked lighting is bad either, just that global illumination with full day/night cycles is infinitely more processor intensive.
2. You've literally seen 1 video of one section of Halo Infinite and you know this? lol. TLOU2 is highly linear.
3. Halo Infinite is running on a 12TF machine the same way that RDR2 is though - it's a 1.3TF console game running via backwards compatibility. It's not an XSX game made for 12TF.
4. Ok?
5. You don't seem to understand that lighting literally affects almost every other graphical asset in a game. You also don't seem to understand that an open world 60fps game with global illumination is going to have a lot of concessions graphically compared to a linear 30fps game with baked lighting.

Edit: oh just saw your avatar......... yeh I can see you going on the ignore list very soon.
When someone gets presented with facts, this happens, you're here defending Halo Infinite running on a 12 TFLOPs console, and it looking ugly like that? That's gotta be a whole new corporate slavery here.

MrFunSocks

Banned
When someone gets presented with facts, this happens, you're here defending Halo Infinite running on a 12 TFLOPs console, and it looking ugly like that? That's gotta be a whole new corporate slavery here.
Should running Forza Horizon 2 on the 12TF XSX mean it suddenly should look like a next gen game made for 12TF?

If I play Super Mario Bros on the Switch should it suddenly transform into a Switch style game, or would it still remain the same as it was when it released 40 years ago?

Last chance before you're on the ignore list.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
the fuck did I just read?

!. not every game has baked lighting, that's simply a false statement. I can name a lot that don't... Halo Infinite being one of them btw. which is honestly one of the reasons that it looks as flat as it does
2. the actual fuck? that one town sequence that has a bunch of branching paths? yeah...
3. running a 1080p30 game at 4K 60 fps demands an 8x increase in raw GPU power (4x increase in pixels per second simply by going to 4k, and another 2x increase per second from there to go to 60fps). 8 x 1.8 = 14.4. this means running TLOU2 at the framerate and resolution of Halo infinite would need a 14.4TF GCN gpu
4. yeah they are great at pumping their games full of details but seemingly have noone in their teams to actually design and program compelling gameplay
5. see point 3
Nope...

1. Every game has baked lighting, Halo Infinite looks ugly, with or without baked lighting
2. It has huge open spaces so that guy's argument got destroyed.
3. No, it isn't even running at NATIVE 4K 60 FPS even if it RAN at those stated resolutions, it should AT LEAST as good as RDR 2 or TLOU 2, there are no fucking excuses.
4. TLOU 2 gameplay is just top-tier, Halo Infinite feels old and outdated to play after TLOU 2 especially with its outdated animations.

...........Yeah.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Should running Forza Horizon 2 on the 12TF XSX mean it suddenly should look like a next gen game made for 12TF?

If I play Super Mario Bros on the Switch should it suddenly transform into a Switch style game, or would it still remain the same as it was when it released 40 years ago?

Last chance before you're on the ignore list.
It's the fact that a game running on a next-gen console and Microsoft's biggest game with their new engine, it should at least look as good as TLOU2 or RDR 2, but no, it looks like garbage instead.

Also who the F are you for you to say "Last chance before you're on the ignore list." someone is a Narcissist. 😂😂

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's the fact that a game running on a next-gen console and Microsoft's biggest game with their new engine, it should at least look as good as TLOU2 or RDR 2, but no, it looks like garbage instead.

Also who the F are you for you to say "Last chance before you're on the ignore list." someone is a Narcissist. 😂😂
60fps open world, dynamic lighting.

30fps linear, baked lighting.

You don't understand how games work. See ya.

Last edited:

Banned
Nope...

1. Every game has baked lighting, Halo Infinite looks ugly, with or without baked lighting
2. It has huge open spaces so that guy's argument got destroyed.
3. No, it isn't even running at NATIVE 4K 60 FPSm even if it RAN at those stated resolutions, it should AT LEAST as good as RDR 2 or TLOU 2, there are no fucking excuses.
4. TLOU 2 gameplay is just top-tier, Halo Infinite feels old and outdated to play after TLOU 2 especially with its outdated animations.

...........Yeah.

1. demonstrate to me where Minecraft has baked lighting, or Human Fall Flat, or Halo Infinite, (insert a ton of open world games with real time day and night cycles)
2. "HUGE" is a very subjective term. I wouldn't call something huge that is smaller than some level spaces in Halo 3
3. their target is 4K60 in campaign and 4K120 in multiplayer. if it will have a dynamic resolution or how aggressive it will be if it has it is to be seen. the fact still stands that running a game at 4K60 is extremely taxing, and most PS4 titles that struggle to hit a flawless 1080p30 would barley be able to run at 4k60 on Series X
4. TLOU 2 gameplay is about as cookie cutter as it gets, it's also so limited that your character can't even jump if you to get onto something the developers decided you are not allowed onto for often absolutely arbitrary reasons (very early example, first time when you play as Abby there are snowed over cars, you can arbitrarily jump on some of those, but not others with little to no visual differentiation to them. not only that, your character literally will not even perform a jump animation if you try... nothing happens when you press X, which is extremely jarring and absolutely terrible visual feedback.
the rest of the game has no real innovative mechanics or does anything interesting with the basic ass gameplay that's there.

also btw. I'm not defending Halo Infinite, fuck that game, it has Sprint and was dead to me as soon as Chief sprinted in that gameplay demo... then they even showed clamber and all hope was lost. it doesn't look very good, I am merely telling you some of the reasons why.
the amount of processing power needed for an open world-esque game to run at 4K60 is immense and even the 12.1TF of the Series X will struggle with that task.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
60fps open world, dynamic lighting.

30fps linear, baked lighting.

You don't understand how games work. See ya.
It has way better models, textures, geometry, vegetation, more stuff happening, more dynamic shadows, more dynamic lights on every scene, has better global illumination and baked lighting, where as Halo Infinite has a very simple lighting solution that's been done since 2010s.

It's nothing special, it's a game running on a 12 TFLOPs machine and looking ugly.

LED Guy?

Banned
1. demonstrate to me where Minecraft has baked lighting, or Human Fall Flat, or Halo Infinite, (insert a ton of open world games with real time day and night cycles)
2. "HUGE" is a very subjective term. I wouldn't call something huge that is smaller than some level spaces in Halo 3
3. their target is 4K60 in campaign and 4K120 in multiplayer. if it will have a dynamic resolution or how aggressive it will be if it has it is to be seen. the fact still stands that running a game at 4K60 is extremely taxing, and most PS4 titles that struggle to hit a flawless 1080p30 would barley be able to run at 4k60 on Series X
4. TLOU 2 gameplay is about as cookie cutter as it gets, it's also so limited that your character can't even jump if you to get onto something the developers decided you are not allowed onto for often absolutely arbitrary reasons (very early example, first time when you play as Abby there are snowed over cars, you can arbitrarily jump on some of those, but not others with little to no visual differentiation to them. not only that, your character literally will not even perform a jump animation if you try... nothing happens when you press X, which is extremely jarring and absolutely terrible visual feedback.
the rest of the game has no real innovative mechanics or does anything interesting with the basic ass gameplay that's there.

also btw. I'm not defending Halo Infinite, fuck that game, it has Sprint and was dead to me as soon as Chief sprinted in that gameplay demo... then they even showed clamber and all hope was lost. it doesn't look very good, I am merely telling you some of the reasons why.
the amount of processing power needed for an open world-esque game to run at 4K60 is immense and even the 12.1TF of the Series X will struggle with that task.
Stop it man, stop defending Halo Infinite, RDR 2 has baked lighting, it's why with its day/night cycle, the world cycles between different bakes of lights constantly, it's all baked, nothing is real-time a 100%, it's not ray-traced.

Gameplay in TLOU 2 is just too good, even TLOU 2 haters admit that, and its animations are just top-tier, nothing comes close to it.

Halo Infinite was running on a 12 TFLOPs machine with 8 cores and 16 threads and it looks ugly as F, my man, please stop it and demand better from Microsoft.

Last edited:

Banned
Stop it man, stop defending Halo Infinite, RDR 2 has baked lighting, it's why with its day/night cycle, the world cycles between different bakes of lights constantly, it's all baked, nothing is real-time a 100%, it's not ray-traced.

Gameplay in TLOU 2 is just too good, even TLOU 2 haters admit that, and its animations are just top-tier, nothing comes close to it.

Halo Infinite was running on a 12 TFLOPs machine with 8 cores and 16 threads and it looks ugly as F, my man, please stop it and demand better from Microsoft.

again fuck Halo Infinite, noone is defending that game... at least I am not. do you even know how many Halo fans felt the second that he sprinted in that gameplay demo? it was treason and it is unforgivable... I know you lot don't care for that sort of thing... by which I mean game design, but I do ;)
but also you seem to not be able to admit that there are games with no baked lighting... again, show me a screenshot of any of the games I named and tell me where you see baked lighting.

and TLOU2 is a mediocre game with mediocre gameplay. demand better from Naughty Dog (as if they had any talented game designer in their team... spoiler, they don't)
if you press the dedicated jump button and your character does not react in any way because of context sensitive jump mechanics, that's just fucking dogshit gamedesign at its finest.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
again fuck Halo Infinite, noone is defending that game... at least I am not. do you even know how many Halo fans felt the second that he sprinted in that gameplay demo? it was treason and it is unforgivable... I know you lot don't care for that sort of thing... by which I mean game design, but I do ;)
but also you seem to not be able to admit that there are games with no baked lighting... again, show me a screenshot of any of the games I named and tell me where you see baked lighting.

and TLOU2 is a mediocre game with mediocre gameplay. demand better from Naughty Dog (as if they had any talented game designer in their team... spoiler, they don't)
if you press the dedicated jump button and your character does not react in any way because of context sensitive jump mechanics, that's just fucking dogshit gamedesign at its finest.
LMAO!! Mediocre game, OK man, whatever, that's your subjective skewed opinion, but when we talk graphics & animations, we talk about them objectively, and Halo Infinite looks like trash compared to RDR 2 & TLOU 2.

Banned
LMAO!! Mediocre game, OK man, whatever, that's your subjective skewed opinion, but when we talk graphics & animations, we talk about them objectively, and Halo Infinite looks like trash compared to RDR 2 & TLOU 2.

YES IT DOES, stop riding on about that game.
TLOU 2 is still shit, doesn't matter how much you polish terrible games like RDR2 either. a polished turd is still a turd.

demonstrate to me where the games I named have baked lighting, since you insist that quote: "Every game has baked lighting"
which is wrong, plane and simple.

but speaking of Infinite (just remove that Halo from the name since they are not really making anew Halo game here), show me in the Infinite demo where you see baked lighting. again one of the reasons that game looks like ass is precisely because they seemed to have thought that their dynamic lighting was good enough, which it isn't.

everything looks flat an devoid of detail precisely because everything is just a flat texture with some material data that gets shaded though real time lighting, which is way too simple and unprecise to do that job in any way that would be considered good looking.

Shmunter

TLOU 2 is still shit, doesn't matter how much you polish terrible games like RDR2 either. a polished turd is still a turd.

demonstrate to me where the games I named have baked lighting, since you insist that quote: "Every game has baked lighting"

but speaking of Infinite (just remove that Halo from the name since they are not really making anew Halo game here), show me in the Infinite demo where you see baked lighting. again one of the reasons that game looks like ass is precisely because they seemed to have thought that their dynamic lighting was good enough, which it isn't.

everything looks flat an devoid of detail precisely because everything is just a flat texture with some material data that gets shaded though real time lighting, which is way too simple and unprecise to do that job in any way that would be considered good looking.
You may think TLOU2 is shit, but I just finished it and it’s simply magnificent from where I’m sitting. The journey, the immersion, the Sense of dread.

Not many games evoke the depth of immersion this game achieves. Truly remarkable.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned

What the heck are you doing? So every game that doesn't have any form of day/night cycle is considered simple in lighting? So by your logic, GTA 4 has better lighting than TLOU 2, it doesn't work like that, if you really got into it, RDR 2 is just using the sun as a light source with simple shadows, some AO and baked lighting here and there, a scene with 2 or 3 light sources at any given time in TLOU 2 is way more advanced than anything in an open-world game with a sun as one light source with one shadow, Halo Infinite looks bad in general, even if you put ray-traced lighting, still the models, textures, geometry, overall complexity or scenes and everything will look extremely average.

These Halo Infinite scenes have baked lighting into them, it still looks like shit compared to even games like Bloodborme. even John Linneman from Digital Foundry is saying that it doesn't look good and that Doom Eternal looks way better.

Just. Accept. That. Halo. Infinite. Does. Not. Look. Good. And. Demand. Better. Because. If. You. Didn't. You. Will. Still. Keep. Damage. Controlling. For. Microsoft. And. You. Will. Get. Clowned. For. It.

These scenes here have baked lighting into them.

Mm4iI6F.png

qvGQirV.png

7YRBCZv.png

Let's make a comparison against TLOU 2 while we're at it.

90hj5EI.jpg

NyZvKPU.jpg

tUtShVj.jpg

h7T909B.jpg

TLOU 2 looks a generation better, it's not even funny at this point, it looks better in lighting, light shafts, more shadows, more dynamic lights (flashlights, area lights), way better models, better textures, way better grass and way more of them, way higher geometrical detail, it's just a next-gen game compared to trash Infinite.

Last edited:

pyrocro

Now we have a guy comparing 1080p 30fps statically lite environments to 40k 60fps with dynamic lite environments.
WTF are you really trying to say, are you saying the ps4 is more powerful than the Xbox series X?
Really WTF is your point do you think the PS4 and xbox one X can produce better graphics than the series X.

AND for the uninformed ALEX JOB is to COVER FUCKING PC GAMES, from the time he was introduced it was clearly and transparently stated in DF videos(again with the transparency)
His (Alex) Optimal settings for each game he covers are a remarkable time saver for anyone playing games on a PC.

Saying he has a bias to PC is Like saying "PCgamer is so bias for covering 90% PC related topics". who knows why they talk about PC related stuff who know must be their bias.

and for the dip shits mentioning 800x zoom this is to provide evidence supporting their arguments
what a weird thing to say
"oh Alex and DF is providing to much evidence to support their tech disscussion how bad of them"
Such weird logic to mention why 800x zoom.

LED Guy?

Banned
Now we have a guy comparing 1080p 30fps statically lite environments to 40k 60fps with dynamic lite environments.
WTF are you really trying to say, are you saying the ps4 is more powerful than the Xbox series X?
Really WTF is your point do you think the PS4 and xbox one X can produce better graphics than the series X.

AND for the uninformed ALEX JOB is to COVER FUCKING PC GAMES, from the time he was introduced it was clearly and transparently stated in DF videos(again with the transparency)
His (Alex) Optimal settings for each game he covers are a remarkable time saver for anyone playing games on a PC.

Saying he has a bias to PC is Like saying "PCgamer is so bias for covering 90% PC related topics". who knows why they talk about PC related stuff who know must be their bias.

and for the dip shits mentioning 800x zoom this is to provide evidence supporting their arguments
what a weird thing to say
"oh Alex and DF is providing to much evidence to support their tech disscussion how bad of them"
Such weird logic to mention why 800x zoom.
Man stop it, I didn't even imply that PS4 is more powerful than Series X (well, from the abysmal that is Halo Infinite, they do make it look like that), also LMAO now we're supposed to say "dynamically-lit environments" are more advanced? No my guy, it's been done since 2006 with Saints Row 1 on Xbox 360 having sun lights and shadows, it's nothing special, now what TLOU 2 is doing is VERY SPECIAL, it has multiple light sources, shadows, complex shading, global illumination and amazing baked lighting into scenes that no other developer has done to this degree and just the overall sheer quality and density of grass and textures like no other.

Halo Infinite looks like garbino and it's not even running at Native 4K on XSX, it's trash.

Also watch NX Gamer's amazing Halo Infinite analysis to get what I'm saying:

Just watch from 2:00 till 12:15.

Last edited:

pyrocro

Man stop it, I didn't even imply that PS4 is more powerful than Series X (well, from the abysmal that is Halo Infinite, they do make it look like that), also LMAO now we're supposed to say "dynamically-lit environments" are more advanced? No my guy, it's been done since 2006 with Saints Row 1 on Xbox 360 having sun lights and shadows, it's nothing special, now what TLOU 2 is doing is VERY SPECIAL, it has multiple light sources, shadows, complex shading, global illumination and amazing baked lighting into scenes that no other developer has done to this degree and just the overall sheer quality and density of grass and textures like no other.

Halo Infinite looks like garbino and it's not even running at Native 4K on XSX, it's trash.

Also watch NX Gamer's amazing Halo Infinite analysis to get what I'm saying:

Just watch from 2:00 till 12:15.

I guess AMD, Nvidia Microsoft, Sony, Every game developer should stop funding and pursuing real-time lighting and forget the billions spent on bringing us closer to a fully dynamically lit world, forget the pursuit of RT.
LED Guy? LED Guy? solved it the lighting solution for TLOU 2 is the Bestest for every situation. why bother, just do what TLOU2 did. but wait no one can do it, can they.

next LED Guy? LED Guy? will say people are telling him TLOU2 looks bad.

it's like watching a child try to stand. you lame playbook has been seen many times.

Everyone gets what you're saying "my guy". it's you who does not understand the corrections coming your way.

You really should get back under your bridge.

LED Guy?

Banned
I guess AMD, Nvidia Microsoft, Sony, Every game developer should stop funding and pursuing real-time lighting and forget the billions spent on bringing us closer to a fully dynamically lit world, forget the pursuit of RT.
LED Guy? LED Guy? solved it the lighting solution for TLOU 2 is the Bestest for every situation. why bother, just do what TLOU2 did. but wait no one can do it, can they.

it's like watching a child try to stand. you lame playbook has been seen many times.

Everyone gets what you're saying "my guy". it's you who does not understand the corrections coming your way.

I didn't say TLOU 2's lighting was the end all be all, it's not perfect, you can see its weaknesses like in any other game as well, there are still techniques like SVOGI or real-time Global Illumination, and even real-time ray tracing too that can solve all these weaknesses and problems that real-time 3D rendering is facing, but whatever man.

Last edited:

bargeparty

What the hell are you talking about?

Damn this stupid thread is still going?

If this was about any other channel i would've just let it slip by and ignored but DF? Really? The guys who's sole purpose and content is about tech and resoultion/frame rate analysis?

God sometimes i miss the days when I was excited about all games no matter the console and wether or not i owned it.

Pro tip buy what you want to buy and stop being mad about exclusives because they're not on your favorite plastic box, God knows you don't and will not have the time to play them all, and spend less time shitposting and console/platform warring and more time you know playing your games.

Top Bottom