• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Worst Argument You've Heard to Defend a Game?

This is a terrible take because Dark Souls games always look amazing.
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 ... wow. Especially dark souls 3 in 4k on pc omg the detail

Yeah but I not talking about Dark Souls 3 in 4k, I'm talking about the leaked Elden Ring footage

"free game no bitching" became a meme in my favorite game. Sadly some people use this talking point unironically.

(this "free" game makes enough money to feed something like 120+ devs)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah just because something is technically explained in-game, that doesn't mean that the explanation makes sense, and it doesn't automatically make it a "good" character or story arc.
Lol seriously. I feel like I’ve seen this style of argument come up a lot in JRPG communities. Like, if they offer some in-game explanation for a character being an irritating piece of shit, all criticism of that character is now null and void and you are being meanie for criticizing them.

Just, no. Lymle a fictional character who has a fictional mental disorder caused by an encounter with a fictional fantasy creature. And even if that did seem totally logical and believable, that still doesn’t make me want her in the damn game.

Last edited:
“Resident Evil 5 is best played in Co-op if you want it to be good.”
I mean, It was explicitly designed to be played in Co-op, and it's good when you're playing it the way it was designed.
It's like playing a Call of duty trying to beat enemies with your fists and complaining that they make you use guns.
"free game no bitching" became a meme in my favorite game. Sadly some people use this talking point unironically.
Apex, isn't it. Yeah, I was thinking about some other options, but it's this one, 100%.
Game makes billion a year. Can't complain about anything in it, it's "free".

Doom85

Someone told me Smash is the best fighting game, I asked him why he think so? he answered:

"Because it's the biggest selling fighting game"

Not to mention Mortal Kombat is the highest selling fighting game franchise, plus Street Fighter 2 was the highest selling fighting game of all time until Smash Bros. Ultimate finally outsold it. But I doubt that “someone” even bothered to check that first.

Star Ocean 4, there were some real brain dead weebs over on the GameFAQs who would say just about anything to defend that game.

One girl tried to defend Lymle by saying “she’s not a bad character, they EXPLAINED why she acts the way she does. Besides, ALL kids are annoying sometimes. It sounds like you just don’t like children”.

WTF, I don’t even know how to respond to that level of stupid. How much d-list shounen anime do I need to watch before that kind of logic makes sense?

(For those who haven’t played it, Lymle is a toddler who looks like a freakish soulless rubber doll and talks like a combination of caveman and Furby. and says “Kay” at the end of every sentence. Her back story is that she had an encounter with a demon as a young child that caused her to stop developing.)

How could you possibly have anything to say about Star Ocean, or this Lymle character, and not post this..

It's the most mind boggingly cringe inducing shit I think I've ever seen in a videogame. It's embarrassing to watch, and I honestly have no idea how any adult can play this shit in an environment that isn't a closet to hide their shame.

Topher

Gold Member

shots fired kangaroo GIF by Outback Steakhouse

Lol seriously. I feel like I’ve seen this style of argument come up a lot in JRPG communities. Like, if they offer some in-game explanation for a character being an irritating piece of shit, all criticism of that character is now null and void.

Just, no. Lymle a fictional character who has a fictional mental disorder caused by an encounter with a fictional fantasy creature. And even if that did seem totally logical and believable, that still doesn’t make me want her in the damn game.
Encountered this recently with Deathloop, in regards to the lack of an actual"story" and characters. Someone posted a huge response, telling me about all the background lore. Lore and characters don't make a story.

Radrigal

Whatever people say when they defend the dogshit that is David Cage games.

I'm not concerned about the irl things happening with Quantic Dream and such.

The games themselves are pure shit in terms of story and character motivations. Deus Ex Machina out of the ass one right after the other. Many of the modern ones are lookers tho, so I guess thats what matters?

There are people who defend Omikron and Indigo Prophecy. Holy shit. Game design are a failure of David Cage.

I mean, It was explicitly designed to be played in Co-op, and it's good when you're playing it the way it was designed.
Actually have to agree with you there. RE5 is pretty much designed to play as a co-op game. That's why you always Sheva with you, even in single player. For a lot of other games, it doesn't make sense though.

brian0057

Banned
When people defend games for lacking mechanics that older games had.
"Oh, Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG. Why is everyone comparing it to GTA?"
It's an open world game, released in 2020. How the fuck is it possible that San Andreas, released almost 20 years earlier, has more features and it's more of an RPG?

But the one that really grinds my gears is when people dismiss superb titles just because the story is not up to their standards.
It's the videogame industry, motherfucker. I don't give a shit if Mankind Divided has a weak story, it's one of the best games from the last 10 years.
Cyberpunk 2077 wishes it was this good.
Go watch a fucking movie or read a book if the story is all you care about.

P.S. If you get from this post that I'm just looking for an excuse to shit on CDPR's mediocrity, congratulations on your powers of perception.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Another one:
How could you possibly have anything to say about Star Ocean, or this Lymle character, and not post this..

It's the most mind boggingly cringe inducing shit I think I've ever seen in a videogame. It's embarrassing to watch, and I honestly have no idea how any adult can play this shit in an environment that isn't a closet to hide their shame.

Jesus. I blocked this out of my head. It’s even worse than I remembered.

I blame Star Ocean 4 for transforming me from an enthusiastic young JRPG connoisseur into the bitter, jaded gamer with limited tolerance for anime bullshit that I am today. I remember literally feeling like it was time for the JRPG genre to die after I played that game.

It makes me depressed to think that adults with functioning brains made something this awful, and it makes me just want to troll the fans of this garbage.

The amazing thing is that Lymle is just one of 3-4 characters from that game who regularly come up in “worst character ever” discussions. That is really saying something.

Aw I miss that guy. Any time I saw him in a thread I’d make some snide remark about FF XV just to see him fly off the handle.

Last edited:
Try telling a pokemon fan there is no reason for every gen to be split into 2 games. I loose faith in humanity Everytime I see their reply
I lost it back in the day when they made it even worse with black 2 and white 2. As if a third game like platinum wasn’t enough, ya greedy bastards.

Just think about that… 4 versions of mostly the same game?!

Wunray

I lost it back in the day when they made it even worse with black 2 and white 2. As if a third game like platinum wasn’t enough, ya greedy bastards.

Just think about that… 4 versions of mostly the same game?!
Lmao I forgot they did that BS. I swear gamefreak is so frustrating, cause you know they have the resources to make pokemon a much better game but the fans enable this lazy output.

Lmao I forgot they did that BS. I swear gamefreak is so frustrating, cause you know they have the resources to make pokemon a much better game but the fans enable this lazy output.
Honestly I would be willing to let virtually any studio take a crack at pokemon over game freak at this point. I really think it goes beyond effort (though that’s a huge factor) and that GF has crossed over into incompetency.

I can’t blame them though, pokémon has always been a cash cow, it’s just that back in the 90s and even 2000s it was harder to get away with some of this bs.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
“That stuff is optional” when defending a game that has lots of generic fetch quests or tedious/unfun mini games. As if only stuff that is strictly required to reach the end credits is fair game for criticism.

See: hundreds of “collect the shiny blue dots” quests in Xenoblade, Tiger Tiger/gacha grinding/field actions in Xenoblade 2, the mini games in Final Fantasy X, etc.

Doesn’t really matter if it’s optional. No RPGamer wants to leave treasure chests unopened and skip all the side quests. Those things should be fun or they shouldn’t be in the game, period. Don’t ask gamers to do something tedious and boring in exchange for a reward later on.

Havoc2049

There's not enough content at launch.

To that people answer with - The game will constantly get updated with new content......

So basically, pay 70$ for early access..
The response to this complaint is true though. If the developer is on the ball and the MMO/GAAS game becomes popular, lack of content soon becomes a moot point. Good developers in this genre/space have this down to a science. A soon as the hardcore players begin to finish the launch content, more content is released.

Sophist

Try telling a pokemon fan there is no reason for every gen to be split into 2 games. I loose faith in humanity Everytime I see their reply
You can thank Miyamoto for that.

Junichi Masuda:
The basic concept of Pokémon is trading, so how could we make the trading more attractive? If you have a different Pokémon in your game, that's a different kind of Pokémon you can collect.
You can finish collecting all of the Pokémon based on the Pokedex. What kind of abilities can that Pokémon have? What kind of an attractive character can you create?
When Mr. Tajiri went to talk to NCL, Mr. Miyamoto actually suggested, "How about creating different cartridges? There are different Pokémon on each cartridge, and people are willing to trade the Pokémon."

Dr.Morris79

Xenoblade 2. I made a comment about how all the big titty waifu fan service was a little too much. Someone told me “oh yeah, well Blades are artificial beings and they don’t get to dress themselves”. As if I am slut-shaming some real-life humans and not critiquing a video game.

I just told him “you’re right, that was decided by the hentai artists that drew them”. That shut him up pretty good lol
Well, its a game, they could be the size of the earth? Whats your point?

ManaByte

"But it's running in BC mode."

It's such an absolute bullshit deflection. Ghost of Tsushima, running in BC mode, was so good you really didn't have to buy the Director's Cut as the PS5 enhancements were so minimal compared to the BC mode patch on the PS4 version. But every time a different game comes up on a head-to-head, you get the "it's running in BC mode!" defense.

Vognerful

Star Ocean 4, there were some real brain dead weebs over on the GameFAQs who would say just about anything to defend that game.

One girl tried to defend Lymle by saying “she’s not a bad character, they EXPLAINED why she acts the way she does. Besides, ALL kids are annoying sometimes. It sounds like you just don’t like children”.

WTF, I don’t even know how to respond to that level of stupid. How much d-list shounen anime do I need to watch before that kind of logic makes sense?

(For those who haven’t played it, Lymle is a toddler who looks like a freakish soulless rubber doll and talks like a combination of caveman and Furby. and says “Kay” at the end of every sentence. Her back story is that she had an encounter with a demon as a young child that caused her to stop developing.)
Is their a title that is worth playing from the star ocean series?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is how the developers intended the game to be played.
You should respect that.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Oh god I agree. That argument, even outside of games, drives me crazy. Nationalists use it all the time. If you don't like your town/country/city/etc, then leave or go make a better one. Criticism and the desire to improve something can be a form of passion and a deep fandom/appreciation. I don't know where we got to this point where people became so afraid of criticism and change.

The one excuse that always drove me insane as someone who backed Star Citizen back in 2012 (I don't like where the game has gone so I've abandoned it): 'You are making a pledge/donation with your money so you are owed nothing.'

Money is always an exchange for services, goods, or a cause. Even when you donate to a charity there is an expectation that the money you gave serves the goal of said charity. All exchange of currency comes with expectation and delivery. You don't donate to a carpet service for them to show up 5 days late and only do half the work. It's a stupid fucking notion and it drives me mad! 🔥🔥🔥

KiteGr

"It's amazing once you finish two extra playthroughs to see the real ending, trust me, it's only 40h until you get to that point."
Nier: Automata
It's less of a 3rd playthrough and more of a 3rd chapter. The problem is that the 2nd chapter is nearly identical to the first.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Is their a title that is worth playing from the star ocean series?
1 (the remake is Star Ocean: First Departure R) and 2 are worth playing. Then pretend the others don’t exist.

- fast, spammy combat
- huge cast of wacky characters with lots of choices whom to recruit and lots of interactions between them
- vast skill system with lots of item creation and combat abilities
- killer soundtracks
- charming pre-rendered backgrounds.

if that sounds like your thing then check them out. Starting with SO3 they decided they wanted to be freaking Xenosaga with never ending cutscenes and dialog, and you can see how that turned out in post 61. Also SO3 took a giant shit on the world of the first two.

NinjaBoiX

JRPG devs are some of the creepiest cunts on the planet.

Get in the bin you basement dwelling pedo fuck, that’s not OK!

Shut0wen

Fifa fans wheen you tell them you prefer pes over fifa, personally i think the gameplay is 100% better gameplay wise but fifa fans excuse for it being shit is because it doesnt have the license for teams, kits and stadiums

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
JRPG devs are some of the creepiest cunts on the planet.

Get in the bin you basement dwelling pedo fuck, that’s not OK!
“Age of consent is 13 in Japan”

“they’re just pictures not real people”

“Not everyone who plays the game is an adult”

“you can dress all the girls in a bikini not just the child one”

“the manual says she’s 18”

“she’s actually some alien race that doesn’t age as quickly/an android/a 1000 year old dragon shape shifter”

yeahh I’ve heard a lot of stupid things in defense of creepy sexualized child characters.

Shut0wen

Also people whose argument is game is shit because of graphics, i dont know how many arguments i have seen when someone needs to say a game is shit becausw of the graphics, maybe am old school but for me nice graphics is a plus if the gameplay is solid but i dont need the best graphics of all time for a game to be good and most games with shiney graphics end up being meh, good examples is crysis 1 and cyberpunk

Top Bottom