• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the Worst Argument You've Heard to Defend a Game?

No matter what game is being discussed, you'll always see the same old arguments being made to excuse away any problems people may have.

For me, the absolute most brain dead argument is "If you don't like it, go make your own game". This implies that any customer for any business shouldn't be able to complain about their purchase, unless they've actually created a similar product themselves. If you expand this idiotic viewpoint to include other industries besides gaming, the sheer stupidity becomes instantly obvious.
Do I need to be a fashion designer to dislike the fit of my clothing?
Do I need to be a roofer to know if my roof is leaking?
Do I need to be a chef to spot an overcooked steak?
Do I need to be a road worker to see the potholes in a road?
Do I need to be a plumber to tell if my toilet is overflowing?

Now clearly the answer to all these questions is "NO". Yet somehow, this exact same mindset is applied to game development on a regular basis. It makes absolutely no sense,and if you catch yourself using it, please rethink the situation, because you're woefully wrong.

Anyways, what is the worst argument you see regularly to defend a game?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
How about you play what you like and don't throw a fit when others like something you don't?

Not liking something is fine, but being upset when people don't want to listen you trying to convince them why they're wrong for liking it is another thing.
Jay And Silent Bob GIF

How about you play what you like and don't throw a fit when others like something you don't?

Not liking something is fine, but being upset when people don't want to listen you trying to convince them why they're wrong for liking it is another thing.
This is true, but sometimes merely pointing out a flaw in a game isn't the same as convincing someone that they're "wrong" for liking it.

Topher

Gold Member

That's my thinking as well. If I don't like a game then there is little reason to talk about it at all. Those "worse arguments" work both ways. Arguing against someone's opinion of a game is already in the realm of "worse arguments".

That's not what I said. I said "arguing against someone's opinion".
That's not what I'm saying though. I'm not talking about convincing someone that they're wrong. I'm talking about discussing a game normally, and people come in off the top ropes with awful defenses of a game.

If I say "The AI in Far Cry 6 is awful", and the response is "Why don't you make your own game?", that's what I'm talking about.
I'm not saying "anyone who likes Far Cry 6 is wrong, and here's why". Two totally different conversations

Topher

Gold Member
That's not what I'm saying though. I'm not talking about convincing someone that they're wrong. I'm talking about discussing a game normally, and people come in off the top ropes with awful defenses of a game.

If I say "The AI in Far Cry 6 is awful", and the response is "Why don't you make your own game?", that's what I'm talking about.
I'm not saying "anyone who likes Far Cry 6 is wrong, and here's why". Two totally different conversations

I don't disagree with that. I was agreeing with @CaptainToad's take in a general sense.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Isn’t this just life though?

Guilty_AI

Probably the "artistic" argument.
You can't simply gloss over horrible writing and birdbrained plots by saying stuff like "its art!" "You don't get it!" "You just can't handle it!"

Another one is the "sold a lot thus its good" argument. Or the "it won goty in X sites thus its a mustahpice!", as if the people voting in these awards know shit.

Last edited:
Probably the "artistic" argument.

You can't simply gloss over horrible writing and birdbrained plots by saying stuff like "its art!" "You don't get it!" "You just can't handle it!"

Another one is the "sold a lot thus its good" argument.
Oh yeah, those are classics.
"You don't get it!" is a bad argument from any angle.

"Sold a lot thus it's good"... so the best games every year are COD, FIFA, and Madden?

My favorite is "Dark Souls/Bloodborne Needs Easy Mode, game is impossible to play!!!!1111" No, how about you fuck off, the game was not designed for you and it is actually not that difficult if you use your brain and have some patience (Clearly these people do not)
Ah yes, the never-ending argument cycle. Sadly, this one seems like it will never be resolved.

Guilty_AI

"It's amazing once you finish two extra playthroughs to see the real ending, trust me, it's only 40h until you get to that point."
Nier: Automata
tbf the main story does kick up a gear in the third playthrough, but i doubt anyone who wasn't enjoying the game already would like it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"From Software games are all about the gameplay not the graphics"

--- in defense of the leaked Elden Ring footage looking like an early ps3 game
This is a terrible take because Dark Souls games always look amazing.
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 ... wow. Especially dark souls 3 in 4k on pc omg the detail

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Xenoblade 2. I made a comment about how all the big titty waifu fan service was a little too much. Someone told me “oh yeah, well Blades are artificial beings and they don’t get to dress themselves”. As if I am slut-shaming some real-life humans and not critiquing a video game.

I just told him “you’re right, that was decided by the hentai artists that drew them”. That shut him up pretty good lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Not so much an argument, but when people point at a certain game’s mechanics to defend the games they enjoy. There’s a huge difference between pointing out a game’a mechanics for an intelligent conversation versus playing a game with malicious intentions. I don’t deal with this a lot as I have gotten older, but it happens occasionally. I remember one time a person from college was pointing out odd things while playing games I had recommended and even purchased for him during sales. Making comments like a certain MMO or RTS plays like Diablo or Dark Souls because the character walks around with a weapon. It sounds humorous and an obvious observation at first, but it felt like they were stretching their observation a bit too far. I can understand if someone doesn’t like something, but don’t try and be malicious with ignorant comments.

Another complaint/argument that kind of starting to annoy me is the whole "I do not truly own my game that I paid for digitally"

Here is the thing about that, we live in a digital world and have plenty of subscription services, who the fuck still buys music cds? Lol Spotify exists and Game Pass/PS Now and all those services are kind of similar but for Video Games.

If you are a collector I get it. But guess what, you won't live forever anyway, so whether you own a digital or physical copy of the game won't matter at the end of day because you'll be dead. And yes eventually servers do shut off.

Funny thing is, even when you do buy a physical game you still need to be connected to the internet to play it or download latest update. The joke is on you.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Star Ocean 4, there were some real brain dead weebs over on the GameFAQs who would say just about anything to defend that game.

One girl tried to defend Lymle by saying “she’s not a bad character, they EXPLAINED why she acts the way she does. Besides, ALL kids are annoying sometimes. It sounds like you just don’t like children”.

WTF, I don’t even know how to respond to that level of stupid. How much d-list shounen anime do I need to watch before that kind of logic makes sense?

(For those who haven’t played it, Lymle is a toddler who looks like a freakish soulless rubber doll and talks like a combination of caveman and Furby. and says “Kay” at the end of every sentence. Her back story is that she had an encounter with a demon as a young child that caused her to stop developing.)

Jack Uzi

Banned
‘ Git gud’ and “Resident Evil 5 is best played in Co-op if you want it to be good.”

I want it to be good as a single player game the way the series is supposed to be. Glad they ditched that shit.

Spaceman292

Banned
FFXIII - it gets better after 30hrs of gameplay.
Lots of people say this and it's not even true. FF13 starts shit and stays shit.

Anyway I hate it when a game has some dumb design choices for no other reason than 'it's always been like that!'

Things are meant to evolve! Halo Infinite looks like it's about twenty years old already.

Star Ocean 4, there were some real brain dead weebs over on the GameFAQs who would say just about anything to defend that game.

One girl tried to defend Lymle by saying “she’s not a bad character, they EXPLAINED why she acts the way she does. Besides, ALL kids are annoying sometimes. It sounds like you just don’t like children”.

WTF, I don’t even know how to respond to that level of stupid. How much d-list shounen anime do I need to watch before that kind of logic makes sense?

(For those who haven’t played it, Lymle is a toddler who looks like a freakish soulless rubber doll and talks like a combination of caveman and Furby. and says “Kay” at the end of every sentence. Her back story is that she had an encounter with a demon as a young child that caused her to stop developing.)
Yeah just because something is technically explained in-game, that doesn't mean that the explanation makes sense, and it doesn't automatically make it a "good" character or story arc.

Top Bottom