• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of 2 versions of Xbox Scarlett when all Scarlett games will be playable on older consoles"?

Early rumours stated there would be 2 versions of Scarlett the low tier one aka Lockhart and the high tier one aka anaconda, but since then alot of people or fans where salty against this idea and it looks like most people simply want the high performing model "anaconda"

So has this perhaps changed Microsoft's mind for instance we hear rumours of few development kits and ms constant itteration of development kits, are they unsure?

And lastly Phil Spencer said all Scarlett games will work on current Xbox family models is this the change they took? Have they sacrificed the low performing model of Scarlett for supporting of older consoles instead?

This way they can keep making money on older versions other than going all the way and creating a low tier Scarlett model!

prag16

Banned
And lastly Phil Spencer said all Scarlett games will work on current Xbox family models
What? No way. He said this? When? There's no way their next gen games are going to run on the base xbone/S. Unless it's via streaming of some kind, which isn't something they seem to be emphasizing at all.

Shifty

jesus-facepalm.jpg

What? No way. He said this? When? There's no way their next gen games are going to run on the base xbone/S. Unless it's via streaming of some kind, which isn't something they seem to be emphasizing at all.
They'll downgrade Scarlett games to run on current hardware

Last edited:

Sota4077

Early rumours stated there would be 2 versions of Scarlett the low tier one aka Lockhart and the high tier one aka anaconda, but since then alot of people or fans where salty against this idea and it looks like most people simply want the high performing model "anaconda"

So has this perhaps changed Microsoft's mind for instance we hear rumours of few development kits and ms constant itteration of development kits, are they unsure?

And lastly Phil Spencer said all Scarlett games will work on current Xbox family models is this the change they took? Have they sacrificed the low performing model of Scarlett for supporting of older consoles instead?

This way they can keep making money on older versions other than going all the way and creating a low tier Scarlett model!

This is nothing to get fired up over. It will literally be the same situation as PC games. If you have Xbox One S you are going to get lower settings. If you have the latest and greatest you'll be getting the best experience. That is all he is saying. People freaking out saying that Scarlett games are going to suffer are flat out wrong. There is no way in hell Microsoft tries to make the most powerful console ever only to strap a boat anchor around its ankles.

This is nothing to get fired up over. It will literally be the same situation as PC games. If you have Xbox One S you are going to get lower settings. If you have the latest and greatest you'll be getting the best experience. That is all he is saying. People freaking out saying that Scarlett games are going to suffer are flat out wrong. There is no way in hell Microsoft tries to make the most powerful console ever only to strap a boat anchor around its ankles.
My real question here is, if this is the law straight from ms that all Scarlett games should be designed to work on older Xbox consoles then how much will developing budget increase, cause as you all know nextgen consoles mean more budget in triple a games as usual so adding support to older versions will raise the budget! Good example crysis 1,2 it took crytek alot of money to downgrade and port that game to consoles!

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
They'll downgrade Scarlett games to run on current hardware

I guess I missed this. This seems kind of I'll advised of they want the games to actually be presentable on the S. Some newer games are already facing struggles, no?

I guess I missed this. This seems kind of I'll advised of they want the games to actually be presentable on the S. Some newer games are already facing struggles, no?
Imagine if Scarlett has 24-32gb ram plus the ssd as virtual ram imagine a game designed to run in such memory capacities, being downscaled to run on the Xbox one with 8gb and 5 of that available for ganes, games will probably be heavily downgraded, get ready for constant Poppin assets and textures, and 14 FPS will be the norm! And 5 minute loading times!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I imagine this will happen with a few early games but as the gen progresses it will stop. good on them for not forgetting about currant console owners

MS didn't actually say all Scarlett games will run on X1.

That thread was based on a clickbait article, that ripped off another article, removed context, and added some of it's own.

A second low end Scarlett (Lockheart) would have been significantly faster than the X1 and probably cheaper to produce in the long term. The chatter on the two system idea seems to have dried up as of late.

Banned
FIRST OF ALL:
new "leaks" suggest that the lower end model of Scarlett was cancelled, so there won't be multiple versions.

SECOND OF ALL:
Scarlett games will not all run on Xbox One. it was said that they would be playable, this could easily mean OS level integration for xCloud so Scarlett games will appear in your "My Games" menu but will in fact use xCloud when started.

and lastly, there will of course be cross gen games as always, so at first Microsoft might make some games for both systems like they did when the Xbox One came out

Last edited:

Darius87

there's no way that's gonna happen for every game, phill just simply doesn't know what he's talking about, even droping resolution and framerate, lowering quality of all assets would not be enough for vanilla xboxone to run late next-gen AAA games what about new technologies which wouldn't be compatible with weak ass jaguar cpu unless they force devs to make two different tech for xboxone and nextxbox games which i can't see hapening,

there's no way that's gonna happen for every game, phill just simply doesn't know what he's talking about, even droping resolution and framerate, lowering quality of all assets would not be enough for vanilla xboxone to run late next-gen AAA games what about new technologies which wouldn't be compatible with weak ass jaguar cpu unless they force devs to make two different tech for xboxone and nextxbox games which i can't see hapening,
Hits hard to tell it's 32gb ram Vs 8gb

Darius87

What is the meaning of having different cpus and gpus for your pc when they all are eligble to play games?
you can't play every game on every cpu and gpu.
He probably does know what he's talking about. And he didn't actually say that all Scarlett games would run on X1.
if by work he means streaming, then xboxone again will be made allways online console. i can't figure out other way how else this could work.

if by work he means streaming, then xboxone again will be made allways online console. i can't figure out other way how else this could work.
but the Scarlett would be backwards compatible does this mean the architectures won't be far off I mean it's amd doing silicon for both current gen and next gen so with good APIs they can easily downgrade games to work on current consoles but I think it'll still take alot of needless budget!

How would being able to stream games to an obsolete console be worse than it not being able to "play" them at all, like normal?

MS haven't actually spoken in detail about about when software will no longer run natively, or how X1 will handle next gen streaming streaming services. As far as I'm aware, they've not stated that all Scarlett games will run or stream to X1, though streaming would make sense if they're going to be doing to it phones, PCs etc.

Darius87

but the Scarlett would be backwards compatible does this mean the architectures won't be far off I mean it's amd doing silicon for both current gen and next gen so with good APIs they can easily downgrade games to work on current consoles but I think it'll still take alot of needless budget!
but how much you need to downgrade to 1,4Tflop xboxone from < 10Tflop scarlett to work? they can make shitty first party games which in theory could work, but 3rd party games will excell in quality and technology far beyond this gen i don't think is possible except streaming.
How would being able to stream games to an obsolete console be worse than it not being able to "play" them at all, like normal?
i don't know why you asking me this? i haven't said it's worse other then xboxone becomes allways online console to play next-gen games.

Fbh

I can guarantee you that next gen games won't natively run on the base Xbox One, at least the ones that aren't made by microsoft.
The base Xb1 is already struggling with current gen games and Xbox isn't such an important brand that the entire AAA industry will design their games for the weakest last gen console just to keep MS happy (nor is xbox popular enough to be able to afford multiple big franchises abandoning it and releasing only on Ps5 and PC).

They'll come out and say that they were talking about launch games (which I can see being cross gen), or they were only talking about games made by MS, or that they were talking about streaming with project Xcloud

Top Bottom