• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the latest you've ever changed jobs/career?

I'm almost 40 and I've been at this job for just over four years. I've wanted to quit for a while because I am simply spinning my wheels here, not learning anything, not moving anywhere. It's in the publishing industry, which I have worked in since I was 17. Basically, it's the only thing I know how to do.

I'd like to know if any people here have made serious changes to their working lives at such a late age, and if so, some of the details, if possible. Something to inspire me during this boring workday!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In December 2020 I was made redundant from my job in the financial industry. I'd spent 15 years in that sector and knew nothing else.

I needed a job, so took a low paying role in the water industry in Jan 21 at the age of 35. It was only supposed to be a stop gap, but I've absolutely thrived there. In two years I've had two promotions and now earn more money than ever.

Although it wasn't planned, changing my career was the best thing that's ever happened to me.

People say it's never too late to change careers and there's some truth to that. I would say that 40s is probably the limit, you should know what you want to do by then and be in a comfortable position.

Jaybe

I’m not really in the same boat as I having evolved my career over time from first starting in technical to analytics to sales but if I were in your position I’d consider that what your transferrable skills are that you have developed in your role and how you might apply that to other places. Alternatively, you could start to do night school or online courses for areas that you have interest in and that you’re not able to learn on your job. The skill sets that tend to be most transferrable being technical ones however, you may have project management skills, customer service, or other ones. Another option, you may have the ability to jump in to in-demand areas such as trades construction etc. which seems to have a shortage of personnel in certain regions. It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to go and what your economic situation is. 40 is definitely not too late though!

Gabbelgak

I enlisted in the Military at 33. A career path full of people just out of high school.

It has thus far worked out great for me. I am now twice the age of the average person in, but I promoted fast largely due to the fact of being older and more mature.

I was a dispatcher for a local alarm compay for 12 years before enlisting and decided I better shit or get off the pot or I would be working until the day I died and knew I didn't want that and I had no desire to start college and to be honest still didn't really have any particular job path calling me one way or another to enroll for anyway.

Changing careers changed my life, literally. It provides stability, Healthcare, it gave me confidence which led me to my wife, it has afforded me the opportunity to see Japan and do things like climb Mt. Fuji, it's allowed me to gift a college education to my son at no real cost to me.

I don't try to convince people to join the military, but I do try to tell people it's never to late to change your life.

Aesius

My cousin was a golf pro at a golf course for years. Cool job, met a lot of cool/famous people, and made very little money. He started doing car sales in his 40s and within just a few years was a finance manager making $200k+/year.

My old middle school principal went into real estate after he retired and is killing it.

I also know a guy who became a political reporter in his late 60s.

nush

Gold Member
If you want to get ahead you need to job hop these days. There's no loyalty from companies side despite what they tell you, they'll throw you out the door as soon as profits drop. Just break down your skill sets that are transferable to other business and push those that are relevant to the job you are applying for.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
I changed jobs when I was 51 and it was really scary. Different type of a job and I have to say I wish I did it years ago. Been at this new job for 3 and a half years and made a lot of new friends and felt like I got a fresh start. Good luck and always follow your gut. Aside from taxes and death, there are no absolutes in life.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I wouldn’t say I necessarily changed jobs… but I did become a freelance consultant in the last two years, after two decades of working for companies in communications and PR. It was scary at first, but now I’m very happy I did it, as my work is more varied now, the pay is better, and I have much more freedom.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Similar finance department stuff all my life. Mostly similar industries too. I dont see myself radically changing. Job wise no. But perhaps one day I'll totally change sectors. I like what I do and can kind of coast for another 10-15 years till retirement. I dont see myself at the same company forever. But maybe one more company, stay there for 10+ years and I'm done.

ReBurn

Gold Member
In my mid 40's I decided to leave software companies behind and went to sit on the other side of the table leading IT in non-tech company. It's been awesome and rewarding and I won't go back to where my continued employment depends on how successful I am meeting unrealistic promises so some wet-haired salesperson can earn their commission at the expense of my bonus.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I left my last job 2 years ago, pursued more money, I've loved the people I get to work with, and the money has been absolutely amazing, but I'm starting to put feelers out as I don't feel challenged or like I'm really doing anything to change the world. So I'll probably be switching soon, I'm 37

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In my mid 40's I decided to leave software companies behind and went to sit on the other side of the table leading IT in non-tech company. It's been awesome and rewarding and I won't go back to where my continued employment depends on how successful I am meeting unrealistic promises so some wet-haired salesperson can earn their commission at the expense of my bonus.
I dont know what kind of industry you went to, but I dont work at a tech company.

I'd say based on what I've seen in my career, as long as IT pus in a good effort to ensure new ERP systems are implemented, maintained and communicated to teams when there's issues, databases are accurate and fixed up, and whatever other stuff the dept does, I think the company and people appreciate it a lot and I dont see IT people in my kind of industry being worked to the bone. Just normal hours like the rest of us... unless perhaps there's a big mess up or time crunch needing a shipments or finance program fixed up asap. Maybe then the department is stressed out(?), but I think under normal conditions, IT at a non tech company seems way less stressful (at least going by articles and twitter rants).

Last edited:
Plz don't talk to me about sales and their promises. JFC.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I am turning 49 this year and thinking about switching from white collar to blue collar work. I quit my job a couple months ago and am thinking about going back to school to learn a trade, or something along those lines.

I have been working in your typical corporate environment for almost 25yrs now and I can't stand it. I am kicking myself for not learning a trade when I had the chance when I was younger.

I am turning 49 this year and thinking about switching from white collar to blue collar work. I quit my job a couple months ago and am thinking about going back to school to learn a trade, or something along those lines.

I have been working in your typical corporate environment for almost 25yrs now and I can't stand it. I am kicking myself for not learning a trade when I had the chance when I was younger.

Pretty much exactly the same. When I was a teenager I did welding as part of some school initiative and I really enjoyed it. Of course I was too much of a snob to treat it as anything other than a laugh. I wish I could go back and slap myself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you guys above wanting to switch from white collar to blue collar, really comes down to how much of an expert you want to be.

One old coworker of mine moonlighted doing renovations - even during work days since he worked from home so nobody would know. Thats why i couldnt get hold of him half the time as he lived in a different province. People only found out after he left the company. But his good buddy coworkers knew the whole time. lol

I'm not sure how he landed the jobs, but I think his buddies would get the work and they'd call him to help out doing renos and landscaping and make a grand or two on a project.

Superkewl

Gold Member
Pretty much exactly the same. When I was a teenager I did welding as part of some school initiative and I really enjoyed it. Of course I was too much of a snob to treat it as anything other than a laugh. I wish I could go back and slap myself.
Same here. I actually went to a trade school for grades 9 and 10, but transferred to a collegiate in grade 11 because trade schools were perceived as being for dummies. Also, the girls at trade schools back in the day were pretty trashy.

For you guys above wanting to switch from white collar to blue collar, really comes down to how much of an expert you want to be.

I was looking into Power engineering, but thinking along the lines of 4th or 3rd class. I have also thought about being a long haul trucker. Just sort of spit balling at the moment.

I quit my job at the beginning of December and figured I would relax for the holidays as I had some rainy day funds put aside, but here we are in February, lol. I got to get off my ass soon and get things moving

Last edited:

Aesius

Same here. I actually went to a trade school for grades 9 and 10, but transferred to a collegiate in grade 11 because trade schools were perceived as being for dummies. Also, the girls at trade schools back in the day were pretty trashy.
I'm a good bit younger than you and trade school was shat upon when I was in high school, too. I remember hearing people say "better go to college or you'll end up a plumber!" Meanwhile if I had actually become a plumber I'd probably own my own company now and make way more than just about everyone I went to college with.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I'm a good bit younger than you and trade school was shat upon when I was in high school, too. I remember hearing people say "better go to college or you'll end up a plumber!" Meanwhile if I had actually become a plumber I'd probably own my own company now and make way more than just about everyone I went to college with.

So very true, and trades people will be in even more demand in the future, thus giving you more opportunities to call your own shots.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have been in the same career for 20+ years. I have changed jobs about every 5 years, as it is a great way to get a bump in pay. I am in the middle of an internal transition within my own company to management. In doing so I am having to transition from technical positions in one location to a technical position in another position where my team will be located. I have never really wanted to change careers even though I find very little fulfillment in what I do for a living. But it pays very well, and I find fulfillment outside of work with my family, my friends and travel.

All in all, I have worked for 5 different companies.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

It’s never too late to change careers. Who cares what you do to earn a living - just as long as you find it tolerable. Personally I’m in a similar position. Been working in the same sector for about 12 years now but on the verge of quitting my current job and taking a huge pay cut just to try something new. Boredom and stagnation are just as mentally destructive as actively hating what you do. My two cents, anyway.

It’s never too late to change careers. Who cares what you do to earn a living - just as long as you find it tolerable. Personally I’m in a similar position. Been working in the same sector for about 12 years now but on the verge of quitting my current job and taking a huge pay cut just to try something new. Boredom and stagnation are just as mentally destructive as actively hating what you do. My two cents, anyway.

Indeed - I don't actively hate my job at all. I am good at it as well, so I am rarely stressed. I have had jobs I hated in the past and that is way worse, but stagnation is definitely its own flavour of destruction.

Credit to legitimate job holders out there especially doctors.
giphy.gif

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I enlisted in the Military at 33. A career path full of people just out of high school.

It has thus far worked out great for me. I am now twice the age of the average person in, but I promoted fast largely due to the fact of being older and more mature.

I was a dispatcher for a local alarm compay for 12 years before enlisting and decided I better shit or get off the pot or I would be working until the day I died and knew I didn't want that and I had no desire to start college and to be honest still didn't really have any particular job path calling me one way or another to enroll for anyway.

Changing careers changed my life, literally. It provides stability, Healthcare, it gave me confidence which led me to my wife, it has afforded me the opportunity to see Japan and do things like climb Mt. Fuji, it's allowed me to gift a college education to my son at no real cost to me.

I don't try to convince people to join the military, but I do try to tell people it's never to late to change your life.
I actually went to boot camp with a guy around that age back in ‘01 early ‘02. I can’t remember his exact ago or his name. It was in the Navy.

Edmund

I'm almost 40 and I've been at this job for just over four years. I've wanted to quit for a while because I am simply spinning my wheels here, not learning anything, not moving anywhere. It's in the publishing industry, which I have worked in since I was 17. Basically, it's the only thing I know how to do.

I'd like to know if any people here have made serious changes to their working lives at such a late age, and if so, some of the details, if possible. Something to inspire me during this boring workday!

I quit my banking job at 33 to pursue piano teaching and film acting. Training for musical theatre as well.

I'm 42 now and I'm earning more than I ever did when I did banking. And I'm way happier now. I actually really love my job.

Hip Hop

Yeah its never too late.

Im in my 30's same career but a spot opened up in another city from mine. Double the pay if I made the switch to the unknown.

Never have been out of town and did my choice within 1 day of the transfer posting.

Just one week here barely all by myself in a different city far away from where I am from originally, but love this fresh new start already. Great feeling that wouldn't be the same, staying put in the same old like everyone else.

Do it.

Last edited:

Hip Hop

I did not know people joined the military this "late".

I am 31 and regret so much not joining the forces out of High Scho.

You think there is a spot for me there at my age? What's easier to get into? National Guard?

I am in a government job where they are required to let me go and hold my position while I work for the miltiry. Is it worth the pay if I'm already making decent money? I could have both jobs and still be okay so I hope there is lots of off time so I can work my civilian job.

Im sure I get some kind of really good benefits by having both jobs at retirement?

Gabbelgak

I did not know people joined the military this "late".

I am 31 and regret so much not joining the forces out of High Scho.

You think there is a spot for me there at my age? What's easier to get into? National Guard?

I am in a government job where they are required to let me go and hold my position while I work for the miltiry. Is it worth the pay if I'm already making decent money? I could have both jobs and still be okay so I hope there is lots of off time so I can work my civilian job.

Im sure I get some kind of really good benefits by having both jobs at retirement?
I don't know much about the guard. You would want to speak with a recruiter for that branch. Just do me a favor, anything they tell you at least google fact check it after the conversation.

The other branches also have reservists as an option so you could speak to any of them really. Getting in is not difficult, the military as a whole is having trouble finding enough people to recruit right now. I will say though, the reservists I've met since I've been in don't really do much as a whole, it isn't there fault really - there is a lot of training and qualifications before you are allowed to touch anything and they are gone before they can get them typically which has led to everyone really not wanting to spend time training them or spend time with them in shops to begin with since they won't be around long term. I don't know that I could personally take that route as I like to be involved and would feel a bit useless that way even though I would still be getting a check.

I'm Navy by the way and there were 5 or 6 people in boot camp my age, I was actually not the oldest. I was however older than every one of my instructors at the time. Due to low recruitment numbers they raised age limits on the Navy to 41.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
If you want to get ahead you need to job hop these days. There's no loyalty from companies side despite what they tell you, they'll throw you out the door as soon as profits drop. Just break down your skill sets that are transferable to other business and push those that are relevant to the job you are applying for.
To add to this, even if you like your job, see what else is out there. Your company doesn't want to train up a new employee. It probably costs them less to pay you more to keep you, but they're unlikely to do it without pressure.

I got an outside job offer, told my employer, and within the SAME DAY, they counter-offered a 30% pay raise--above what the other company offered. I took it.

Did the same thing again a year later, and they counter-offered a 15% increase on top of the 30% the year prior.

I ended up leaving that second time for a job that pays way less, but is a career change and part of a long-term plan to make more in the long run.

I've heard that going for counter-offers can leave a "black mark" on you, but that wasn't my experience. Just don't over-do it.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I had to change careers at about 40. It was not by choice, but it worked out for the most part and I get to work from home instead of in a lab. I switched from hands on IC fabrication to organizational process improvement because the leadership in the fab was atrocious. I had to make my own position and it put me in a place where I could learn new tools and develop applications. My only problem is that right now, I work 2 very different jobs/skills, low code tool development with microsoft apps and data visualization and / process modelling while standing up a new team of modelers. Both efforts let me build and improve something, it's just a little stressful trying to manage time across 2 distinct efforts when they both have so many individual pieces.

I became a lorry driver 4 months ago, I just turned 40.

How is it? Probably naively it sounds as though you could tune into podcasts and audiobooks a lot.
I'm guessing from your parlance you're in the UK. Lorry driving sent my Granddad into an early grave, but this was in the 70s and 80s.

NinjaBoiX

How is it? Probably naively it sounds as though you could tune into podcasts and audiobooks a lot.
I'm guessing from your parlance you're in the UK. Lorry driving sent my Granddad into an early grave, but this was in the 70s and 80s.
Yeah, I’m in the UK.

It can be a really hectic and stressful job, but luckily I’ve got a really cushy number with a fairly solid salary.

I deliver to Scotland for a small beer wholesaler (in Manchester), leave Monday lunchtime, usually back Wednesday lunchtime, Thursday at the latest, staying in the cab at truck stops. Nobody bothers me or tries to hurry me along, I’m just left to it, have at least a three day weekend each week, if not a four day.

Plus, modern trucks are so easy to drive nowadays, your poor grandad probably had a big old heavy steering wheel, stiff clutch and a split-box manual. Mine pretty much drives itself!

How though? I'm sure sitting down for several hours isn't as bad as people make it out to be. They have breaks and stuff along the route to get the blood moving.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, I’m in the UK.

It can be a really hectic and stressful job, but luckily I’ve got a really cushy number with a fairly solid salary.

I deliver to Scotland for a small beer wholesaler (in Manchester), leave Monday lunchtime, usually back Wednesday lunchtime, Thursday at the latest, staying in the cab at truck stops. Nobody bothers me or tries to hurry me along, I’m just left to it, have at least a three day weekend each week, if not a four day.

Plus, modern trucks are so easy to drive nowadays, your poor grandad probably had a big old heavy steering wheel, stiff clutch and a split-box manual. Mine pretty much drives itself!
Free beer?

One buddy works at a truck repair company and when the trucks come in, he and his crew gets free stuff all the time since the truckers might have returns or damaged product. But the company isnt going to track or care if some of it is missing when returned. The truckers would offer his crew boxes of ding and dented stuff that would be rejected or trashed.

Last edited:
The number of hours he did and the attendant isolation.
That doesn't make much sense to me. Explain how it lead to an early grave please, what medical ailments was he suffering from? Sitting around for 8-10 hours on the road each day could lead to muscle numbing and other associated problems, but I can't imagine those be life threatening.

NinjaBoiX

How though? I'm sure sitting down for several hours isn't as bad as people make it out to be. They have breaks and stuff along the route to get the blood moving.
Yeah, people make too much of a thing about it being quite a sedentary job. Office workers and people WFH spend most of their day sat down too, at least with my job I’m lugging around heavy kegs of beer throughout the day.
Free beer?
Haha, yeah we do OK. There’s often beer that’s OOD that we can help ourselves too, and you get to help yourself to a case of beer at Christmas and on your birthday.

If I’m asked to come in on a Thursday or Friday I’ll often get a case of beer too, even though I’m technically getting paid for the whole week regardless.

My boss is so sound, proper nice guy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, people make too much of a thing about it being quite a sedentary job. Office workers and people WFH spend most of their day sat down too, at least with my job I’m lugging around heavy kegs of beer throughout the day.

Haha, yeah we do OK. There’s often beer that’s OOD that we can help ourselves too, and you get to help yourself to a case of beer at Christmas and on your birthday.

If I’m asked to come in on a Thursday or Friday I’ll often get a case of beer too, even though I’m technically getting paid for the whole week regardless.

My boss is so sound, proper nice guy.
Totally. Office jobs have their peaks and valleys and always sitting.

Ya it's great working for companies where you get free shit. I've always worked at companies where you get loaded with free samples, ding and dented stuff, and even prototypes.

I'm in 40s. When I leave my current company, I want to leave with so much last day free shit from the warehouse crew, I literally want enough to last till I die! There's some products like cleaning supplies and other non-perishable products which a couple big wholesale cases of 12 or 24 could last me decades. lol

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
34, 7 years and counting at my job. When things get worse in my life, which they will Im guessing very soon, I might have to look for better-paid stuff.

Stop listening to insecure people and do it. We get to live once, and the idea that we have to stick to whatever it is that we have been doing is frankly one of the dumbest things floating around. Now, I would understand it if you have no alternatives...but in western and economically developed countries, where opportunities abound; where training is made available easily; where the internet is accessible...what could possibly dissuade you from making a serious attempt at changing paths? You are the only obstacle to yourself...
I wish I had this simple perspective in my thirties, as I have just hit fourty...but I'll be damned if I do not do anything in my power to pursue things I am actually drawn to. My twenties were mostly about studies...my thirties were spent doing customer service for online retailers...my fourties will be under the banner of Finance...and should death not knock on my door, I intend to become a philosophy teacher in my fifties.

Top Bottom