• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last truly great RPG you've played and what do you think the next will be?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
After finishing Game of Thrones it kinda got me in the mood to play an epic open world medieval style RPG, and then I was thinking The Witcher 3 would have been the perfect game to experience for the first time right now, and that it was the last truly great RPG I've played. There have been some good RPGs I've played since that I can objectively say even though I enjoyed them, I wouldn't call them "truly great."

I've been craving one for a while actually, even before this past Sunday, but none have scratched that very specific itch I've been craving from the genre. Beat Dark Souls Remastered recently. I just want that next great open world medieval RPG. Who knows when that'll come out. The Elder Scrolls VI maybe?

What's the last RPG you've played that you would consider truly great, and looking ahead what do you think the next will be?

Bl@de

Age of Decadence. But it‘s not for everyone.

Next one? Hmm... Cyberpunk 2077.

Edit: Ohh Medieval. Well ... Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Mount & Blade 2 in that case.

Last edited:

Wickypog

Neo Member
I loved Diablo 3 and played it for a long time. Also Skyrim is very good RPG which takes months to finish all quests.
For the future I really hope for Diablo 4.

Pejo

DQ11 gave me some serious feelings of old school, world spanning, content rich RPGs of the SNES/PS1 days. So probably that one.

Next? Hmm. Nothing on the immediate horizon that I'm super excited about. Maybe Capcom will give us a new proper Breath of Fire? They've been listening to fans recently.

GreenAlien

Enderal: Forgotten Stories (Skyrim total conversion)

Very good main story and some nice side quests too. It's like 30-60 hours long. The gameplay is basically Skyrim, though there are some differences. Don't move during story-talk scenes if you aren't asked to do it, it might get bugged, keep an extra save ready just in case.

Last edited:

kingbean

Western RPG its The Witcher 3

JRPG, probably Xenogears, but I just played it this year.

Dunno what the next best will be. I just finished Xenosaga 1 gonna finish 2 and 3 soon, hopefully they'll be satisfying.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dragon Age: Origins, game basically made casual role playing games, the Bioware charm works.

Arachnid

Divinity: Original Sin 2 was the best CRPG we've had since Dragon Age: Origins.

Witcher 3 was a phenomenal game but it always felt a bit shallow in the RPG aspect. No real builds or gameplay choice (great story choices though). It was still 10/10 though. Best action RPG we've had since Mass Effect 2

Belmonte

The last great RPG I played is Wizardry 6, since I started it last week.

By release date I think it is Divinity: Original Sin 2. Heard lots of good impressions about Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Underrail too.

If you mean action RPG, my pick would be any Soulsborne game. Even the weakest of them is a great action RPG. And there is Dragon's Dogma also.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not really in to WRPG so for me its tie between DQXI, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and NieR Automata.

As for next one, its mostly Shin Megami Tensei V and Grandblue Fantasy Relink and Oninaki looking good so far.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm always in the mood for Dark Souls after watching GoT. I don't really count that as an RPG though.

I think maybe Skyrim would be a better fit.

When it comes to RPGs that are, uh, RPGs, and not just large-scale adventure games with stats:
Divinity OS2 was the last, Cyberpunk might be the next, if not, The Outer Worlds, or certainly Bloodlines 2

When it comes to large-scale adventure games with stats and choices that don't matter or change the experience much, games that somehow define 'RPGs' as a concept because we've strayed so far from God's light:
Xenoblade Chronicles 1 was the last, FFVIIR will likely be the next, or maybe Cyberpunk if that game doesn't turn out to be what I hope

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm always in the mood for Dark Souls after watching GoT. I don't really count that as an RPG though.

I think maybe Skyrim would be a better fit.
Personally Dark Souls and Bloodborne gives me much more feeling Berserk more than GoT.

Danjin44

Berserk, the anime? Hmmm...Bloodborne yea definitely. I think DS might feel a bit slow for that but I see where you draw that line from.
I'm mostly talking about the art direction and overall atmosphere. You can also add Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust for Bloodborne as well.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I think RPG covers a multitude of sins these days. I think it's hard to beat some of the classics like BG & Fallout, but of more recent fare I really enjoyed my time with Kingdom Come Deliverance in large part because of the unique systems. Waiting for the final DLC to come out before I go back and replay it to completion, however. Really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm tempering my expectations as to how much flexibility it will truly have.

Trails of Cold Steel 2. The graphics may be dated but the story and character development are amazing. Trails of Cold Steel 3 is my most anticipated game of 2019!

Isa

I've taken a hiatus from most western games as they just don't seem to scratch that itch for me anymore. If they were more along the lines of say KotoR then I'd be happy. I am anticipating The Outer Worlds a great deal and suspect that'll tide me over until Cyberpunk.

Ever since Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though man, I've been back in love with Jrpgs. I'd been supporting them and planning to play them for some time and finally got around to my gargantuan backlog. And this last weekend I finally convinced myself to buy a new 3DS and 11 games for it, all rpgs. I've been having a blast too. I think it does kind of suck that modern gaming is so... off. But it can make what's there and what we've passed over, even on other systems, stand out like a diamond in the rough. Hope you find something to satiate that thirst.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was the last one I've played through that I really loved. I have a few Tales games to play on PC which I'm sure I'll enjoy, but I have a feeling the next truly great RPG I play will be whatever Monolith Soft releases next. I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 falls into my list of favorites but western RPGs always fall short for me.

Yumi

Agree with most everyone here. The Witcher 3 is hard to beat. Looks like you already played it though. Wasn't Shadows of Morder decent outside of mictotransaction stuff? Looks medival and epic, havent played it myself.

Saber

Gold Member
Dragon Quest 11. Its kinda diverse on the amount of skills/magic and its very pleasing visually. The story may sound
boring because of the cliche "light vs dark", but the story telling and the characters are very charming.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Replayed Final Fantasy VII recently (as I do every other year sense 1997, it’s still the best RPG I’ve played. Witcher 3 was before that. Cyberpunk will likely be my next. Or FF7 Remake.

VertigoOA

Banned
Witcher 3. Im playing Dragons Dogma now and it’s scratching that itch.

I expect cyberpunk to be more a lot more action shooter and I love my sci fi more than anything but for high fantasy I dunno.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition in January, but if we're not counting remasters then FF15 and FF14 Heavensward and Valkyria Chronicles 4 last year.
I think the next one will be Octopath Traveler when it comes to Steam next month.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
c9loNA8l.jpg

NzhuD0Sl.jpg

iuciYd4l.jpg

JEZB5WEl.jpg

ivdsetsl.jpg

zNA9WSnl.jpg

Gpck3ROl.jpg

Danjin44

Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition in January, but if we're not counting remasters then FF15 and FF14 Heavensward and Valkyria Chronicles 4 last year.
I think the next one will be Octopath Traveler when it comes to Steam next month.
Does VC4 count? I thought that game considered as SRPG but if does count put on my list as well, I absolutely adored VC4.

Top Bottom