• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best stealth game of all time? Hitman 2: SA, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Thief II, or Metal Gear Solid 2?

Best Stealth game of all time?

• Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Votes: 79 34.1%
  • Thief II: Metal Age

Votes: 31 13.4%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • Other

Votes: 61 26.3%

• Total voters
When asking about the best stealth game of all time, 4 games come up more often than any other software (which coincidentally are among the best selling games in their franchises) and those 4 games are

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
85259-tom-clancy-s-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-xbox-front-cover.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (original version)
220px-Metalgear2boxart.jpg

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
2212321-box_hitman2.png

Thief II: The Metal Age
220px-Thief_II_-_The_Metal_Age_Coverart.png

Which of these 4 legendary and highly praised stealth titles do you think is the best? Or if you have a runner up you'd like to bring up select "other" in the poll and make mention of the game below.

MGS is gonna win, if only because that's the game people on this board are most likely to have played.

As someone who has played all four games, Thief gets my vote. The other three aren't bad games, but in terms of stealth they aren't even in the same league.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
MGS is gonna win, if only because that's the game people on this board are most likely to have played.

As someone who has played all four games, Thief gets my vote. The other three aren't bad games, but in terms of stealth they aren't even in the same league.

In the end it's all about preference.

All games mentioned have a good way of using stealth to build their respective game around.

Reizo Ryuu

Depends, if you are talking pure stealth, then it's probably games where you either can't really fight back or games where a confrontation goes bad 80% of the time.
Judging by the list you are talking more about the "tactical stealth" games, where you can escalate it if you want to; my favourite bits in the MGS5 open world is just going straight rambo on some areas.

My vote would go to SC: Blacklist.

You can for sure remove metal gear solid from any stealth comparison. Hitman 2 as well. Chaos Theory is an excelent stealth game that borrows nearly everything from its mechanics to its design from Thief's book. This is coming from its game designers. Also clear with the naked eye. Thief 2 - The Metal Age reigns supreme and stands alone, not only being the birthgiver of the modern stealth genre from which nearly every stealth game to this day takes mechanics and influence, but also simply the purest form of a stealth game and with an unparaleled genius in its gameplay and design.

MGS2? Are you joking?
It's the most frequently mentioned and most fondly remembered, remember we aren't just talking about gaming boards alone. You go on social media or wherever the casuals are, or youtubers and they will slap you with MGS2 across the face.

Considering MGS2 is a 2001 PS2 soaring sales game, and is the best selling of the 4, this isn't really surprising. Strangely Hitman 2 is second, although to be fair Ubisoft never gave full Chaos Theory sales.

TLOU 2 by far.
hmmmm

Depends, if you are talking pure stealth, then it's probably games where you either can't really fight back or games where a confrontation goes bad 80% of the time.
Judging by the list you are talking more about the "tactical stealth" games,
The only game on that list where confrontation isn't a constant issue is MGS2.

You can for sure remove metal gear solid from any stealth comparison. Hitman 2 as well. Chaos Theory is an excelent stealth game that borrows nearly everything from its mechanics to its design from Thief's book. This is coming from its game designers. Also clear with the naked eye. Thief 2 - The Metal Age reigns supreme and stands alone, not only being the birthgiver of the modern stealth genre from which nearly every stealth game to this day takes mechanics and influence, but also simply the purest form of a stealth game and with an unparaleled genius in its gameplay and design.

Whats wrong with Hitman 2, just curious?

Spaceman292

Banned
TLOU 2 by far.

MGS 5 distant second.
Last of Us made my palms sweat more than any other stealth game. The tension, animations and A.I are all amazing. I'd still say MGS V takes it though.

I agree with everyone else that OPs suggestions are dumb.

Last edited:
The only game on that list where confrontation isn't a constant issue is MGS2.

Whats wrong with Hitman 2, just curious?

Nothing i would say wrong, its just the type of "social stealth" i feel is a too different breed from all the more "standard" stealth games.

Its a shame most people here would not have played any Thief game because they're pc exclusives and old, but man, how wrong it is to name any other game as the best if its not Thief 1/2. Especially mgs 5.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I love MGS2 but it rarely gets mentioned as the best in the series. Great way to sabotage your own poll.

Last edited:
Nonsense, I specifically did a lethal run through chaos theory where I just gunned down everyone; all the hitman games can be played that way as well.

"can be" is a different topic and an option. An option which is not as rewarded as stealth, and in many cases can make the game more challenging. MGS2 you can easily be led to play that way without even knowing half the selath elements and tricks.

I love MGS2 but it rarely gets mentioned as the best in the series. Great way to sabotage your own poll.
You are incorrect, but you're confining your view to gamer boards so I can see why you would think that.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Kids these days. You started playing games last year or what?
How can mechanically outdated stealth games be brought up in a discussion about the best stealth game of all time? That's like asking "is Gran Turismo 2 the best racing game of all time?", well obviously not, because since then there have been games that have provided better, deeper and more responsive driving experiences than GT2. The same can be said about the best modern stealth games when compared to the ones mentioned in the OP.

And given that you don't know me nor the games that I have or have not played, I think that you should keep all of that "kids these days" bullshit to yourself.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
The people voting for MGS2 have a very loose definition for stealth... or don't have a definition at all.

The top 5 Stealth games:

1. Thief II: The Metal Age.
  2. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
  3. Hitman: Blood Money.
  4. Styx: Shards of Darkness.
  5. Mark of the Ninja.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Unless the game radically changes into a different genre, I'm of the opinion that old game is old: I like MGSV, Blacklist and Hitman 3. They're definitely the best iterations of those franchises in my eyes...

kuncol02

Banned
How can mechanically outdated stealth games be brought up in a discussion about the best stealth game of all time? That's like asking "is Gran Turismo 2 the best racing game of all time?", well obviously not, because since then there have been games that have provided better, deeper and more responsive driving experiences than GT2. The same can be said about the best modern stealth games when compared to the ones mentioned in the OP.
There is nothing mechanicaly outdated in Thief, also GT2 is not best racing game of all time because it's WRC4 from Evolution Studio.

Top Bottom