• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Next for Nintendo's Enduring Blue Ocean Strategy?

What innovations will define Nintendo's next? Upto 3 choices

• Next Level Asymmetric Gameplay : mobile phone integration

• VR + Next Level Haptic + Portable Form Factor

• Portable Cloud Gaming

• Portable Augmented Reality...bring on the See-U glasses tech!

• All or most of the above

• Upgradeable SOC and next level DLSS so that one machine can cater to casual and hardcore equally

• Something entirely new we cant even envision yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marvel14

Banned
There have been several: 'what next for Nintendo' threads which have felt too general and open to have a decent discussion.

See for example:

And :

So I want to hone in on their fabled Blue Ocean strategy and ask what the next left field innovation that differentiates their offer will be.

The poll has some ideas but the purpose of the thread is to be as creative and innovative as possible so knock yourselves out!

Marty-McFly

Banned
I think the Switch is basically going to be hybrid version of gameboy

We already have

Switch + Switch Lite + Switch Oled

vs.

Gameboy + Gameboy Light + Gameboy Color + Gameboy Advance

=

Switch Advance

That will be their next gen platform name. Bookmark it.

We may see a mid gen refresh before it though.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
7f5.gif

FStubbs

It's hard to say. Their ocean isn't exactly blue anymore with Steamdeck coming. I'd think given Switch is their handheld entry, they'd follow it up with something somewhat similar: GB->GBC->GBA; DS-3DS; Switch->???

I think the Switch successor's successor is when they'd do something different.

Upgradeable SOC is in the lead? That sounds like physically replacing the innards of your machine which seems extremely unlikely. Augmented reality seems like the most Nintendo thing to do out of these. I don’t think there will be any significant focus on gimmicks with the Switch 2 though.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Could be wrong but it feels like both the Wii and the Wii U were precursors to the Switch. Wii with motion controllers and WiiU with a portable handheld device that can be played off the TV. If Switch is the "endgame" then surely we should expect an improved version of the same thing.

I'd love a VR-enabled Switch (ie docks into an official VR headset, and the motion controllers work perfectly in VR) but I don't know... hopefully they will pre-emptively include really good motion controls so that VR can be a thing later on.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It's hard to say. Their ocean isn't exactly blue anymore with Steamdeck coming. I'd think given Switch is their handheld entry, they'd follow it up with something somewhat similar: GB->GBC->GBA; DS-3DS; Switch->???

I think the Switch successor's successor is when they'd do something different.
I have a couple things to say about Steamdeck.

1) Its sales will probably actually discourage anyone else from trying to go the portable route because it's not very likely to penetrate the mass market.

2) Switch has sold entirely off the back of Nintendo franchises. In terms of it's library, Steamdeck will have the same games as Xbox and Playstation, which means it's going to be another competing alternative to play their games. Nintendo's Blue Ocean is actually their software, which is only available on their consolidated platform, where they are focusing all of their strength.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Other:Keep selling the Switch and Mario Kart.

I totally see Nintendo still selling Switch when PS6/XS2 arrive. Unless the market becomes totally saturated and NSW hardware/software stops selling, they have no need to innovate anymore, they have finally found their ground with the right hardware and the right software, where they don't have to compete with anyone

Marty-McFly

Banned
I totally see Nintendo still selling Switch when PS6/XS2 arrive. Unless the market becomes totally saturated and NSW hardware/software stops selling, they have no need to innovate anymore, they have finally found their ground with the right hardware and the right software, where they don't have to compete with anyone
This has some merit.

Power is really only for third parties, and third parties don't really do all that much for Nintendo in terms of their bottom line. Nintendo can make games look great on old hardware. That's what they do.

Why not continue pumping out first party games on the massive install base they have acquired and continue making bank?

I see Switch revisions soon and an upgraded model eventually, but Nintendo will likely take their sweet ass time with the latter, and why not?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I think you are close but here is what I would prefer to see.

I think they have found their right form factor. But they still need to update the hardware every 5 years or so. But it should all be completely backwards compatible so that everything I've bought on the Switch will work on the Switch 2 or whatever it's called. They have completely nailed what so many people want out of their entertainment setup, and we are at a point where graphics are "good enough" to service any kind of gameplay, which is obviously the most important thing. Yeah we all love our cutting edge graphics, but I would take Breath of the Wild with it's timeless stylized graphics over the latest top end visuals with less engaging gameplay every single time.

So yeah, I don't think they have to "compete" like you're saying as long as they keep this form factor and just keep executing on having the most fun games around.

ZywyPL

Banned

I think they have found their right form factor. But they still need to update the hardware every 5 years or so. But it should all be completely backwards compatible so that everything I've bought on the Switch will work on the Switch 2 or whatever it's called. They have completely nailed what so many people want out of their entertainment setup, and we are at a point where graphics are "good enough" to service any kind of gameplay, which is obviously the most important thing. Yeah we all love our cutting edge graphics, but I would take Breath of the Wild with it's timeless stylized graphics over the latest top end visuals with less engaging gameplay every single time.

So yeah, I don't think they have to "compete" like you're saying as long as they keep this form factor and just keep executing on having the most fun games around.

I also think BC will be a major factor for future Nintendo consoles - they have found their own audience, and it's all about keeping it now, and BC is what will ensure all those NSW users will be willing to move onto the newer platform regardless instead of staying on Switch forever.

Dr Bass

I also think BC will be a major factor for future Nintendo consoles - they have found their own audience, and it's all about keeping it now, and BC is what will ensure all those NSW users will be willing to move onto the newer platform regardless instead of staying on Switch forever.
100% agreed. Anything less is a big mistake at this point IMO.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It will be VR.

But lol at people thinking it will be a strong system. Nintendo can't even produce enough games for 720p/1080p. 4k won't happen anytime soon.

Given Nintendo's track record you can probably just skip this next console and play all the games on the console after that.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It will be VR.

But lol at people thinking it will be a strong system. Nintendo can't even produce enough games for 720p/1080p. 4k won't happen anytime soon.

Given Nintendo's track record you can probably just skip this next console and play all the games on the console after that.
Nah. VR hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

I think Nintendo has even dissed the technology saying it was for reclusive types or something to that effect. They're all about social gaming (with friends locally not online).

I can see them doing stuff with AR but they already tried experiments with Mario Kart Home Circuit and that didn't knock it out of the park either, nor did their Labo VR attempts (shoddy as it was).

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
I
This has some merit.

Power is really only for third parties, and third parties don't really do all that much for Nintendo in terms of their bottom line. Nintendo can make games look great on old hardware. That's what they do.

Why not continue pumping out first party games on the massive install base they have acquired and continue making bank?

I see Switch revisions soon and an upgraded model eventually, but Nintendo will likely take their sweet ass time with the latter, and why not?

You're both right that we are reaching significant diminishing returns with graphics but 4k/8k does take things to another level. Remains to be seen though whether mass market gamers will upgrade TVs to 4k+ to enable hyper realistic games.

The more interesting processing/power question is about gameplay innovation and what AI might bring to the table.

I could totally see Nintendo being happy with base ps4 (maybe pro) level portable hardware for the next 10 years and use the extra grunt instead for AI that enables new more immersive gaming experiences.

ripeavocado

Banned
The blue ocean crap is random the only common aspect is that Nintendo with it's "nintendo difference" for many people is a status symbol to showcase their nerdyness and they would buy anything, even overpriced cardboard

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Probably whatever gimmick no one asked for that they can pack in. HD rumble v2, touch controls, microphones, augmented reality… No VR otherwise they will need to spend money on improving the hardware. It has been a while now that Nintendo strategy is to pack as much useless features as possible to justify what they are asking for and still keep profits. The last one is this Oled screen.

Kjtc1979

Switch isn’t using a blue ocean strategy. It isn’t looking to create a new market for video games. It is trying to appeal to two existing markets - home console gamers and handheld console gamers - with one device.

Labo was their only real attempt at blue ocean this generation, and it wasn’t successful enough to justify further investment in it.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Switch isn’t using a blue ocean strategy. It isn’t looking to create a new market for video games. It is trying to appeal to two existing markets - home console gamers and handheld console gamers - with one device.

Labo was their only real attempt at blue ocean this generation, and it wasn’t successful enough to justify further investment in it.

Hybrid IS Blue Ocean. No one knew they wanted a console that could be played seamlessly on their TV and their garden, car or local pub without losing game progress.

Blue Ocean does not mean targeting non gamers and virgin markets. It means creating demand for a new value proposition that no one else has cracked yet.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Could be wrong but it feels like both the Wii and the Wii U were precursors to the Switch. Wii with motion controllers and WiiU with a portable handheld device that can be played off the TV. If Switch is the "endgame" then surely we should expect an improved version of the same thing.

I'd love a VR-enabled Switch (ie docks into an official VR headset, and the motion controllers work perfectly in VR) but I don't know... hopefully they will pre-emptively include really good motion controls so that VR can be a thing later on.
You're not wrong...the Switch reveal explicitly mentions that it is the culmination and integration of multiple Nintendo console innovations.

Kjtc1979

Hybrid IS Blue Ocean. No one knew they wanted a console that could be played seamlessly on their TV and their garden, car or local pub without losing game progress.

Blue Ocean does not mean targeting non gamers and virgin markets. It means creating demand for a new value proposition that no one else has cracked yet.
Blue ocean strategy very much does mean targeting non gamers and virgin markets, when used in the context of video games. The hybrid approach is designed to appeal to all three types of gamers - handheld only, home console only, and those who game both ways, and create value in being able to do it all with one device. It’s like when they made VHS/DVD combination units back in the day, or stereo systems that are out today that include vinyl players as well as bluetooth.

They definitely tapped into something that heavily engages existing gamers with its form factor, but they are competing in the existing market space for video games.

Marvel14

Banned
Blue ocean strategy very much does mean targeting non gamers and virgin markets, when used in the context of video games. The hybrid approach is designed to appeal to all three types of gamers - handheld only, home console only, and those who game both ways, and create value in being able to do it all with one device. It’s like when they made VHS/DVD combination units back in the day, or stereo systems that are out today that include vinyl players as well as bluetooth.

They definitely tapped into something that heavily engages existing gamers with its form factor, but they are competing in the existing market space for video games.
I think we are talking at cross purposes. Virgin markets and non gamers IS a Blue Ocean Strategy but so is the hybrid model thats a new value proposition that appeals to a wide range of consumers. This is a value proposition that differentiates Nintendo from MS and Sony, and away from competition on power and higher end graphics.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I've said this here before, but people said it was too gimmicky..

A brain controller.

If not that, then just a normal upgrade from Switch with more horsepower. Maybe both. I really don't know, Nintendo is probably testing a bunch of stuff in-doors. We won't know until we have to.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I think we are talking at cross purposes. Virgin markets and non gamers IS a Blue Ocean Strategy but so is the hybrid model thats a new value proposition that appeals to a wide range of consumers. This is a value proposition that differentiates Nintendo from MS and Sony, and away from competition on power and higher end graphics.
Wouldn't what you describe be disruption?

EDMIX

Keep the hyrbids going until they do mindcontol VR Mario lol.
Nintendo will come up with something cool soon

This.

All I need is Switch 2, Switch 3 etc.

No more of that fucking gimmick shit. Leave that to some optional hardware stuff

Marvel14

Banned
Wouldn't what you describe be disruption?
Also true but Blue Ocean is explicitly about creating demand for new value propositions that shift away from directly competing in the Red Ocean of directly comparable and competing products.

The Switch does this so well that it's not unheard of for folk to own Switch AND either one of PS5 or XBoxSX.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Also true but Blue Ocean is explicitly about creating demand for new value propositions that shift away from directly competing in the Red Ocean of directly comparable and competing products.

The Switch does this so well that it's not unheard of for folk to own Switch AND either one of PS5 or XBoxSX.
Fair enough. We'll see how Steamdeck impacts that.

Marvel14

Banned
Since there are rumblings about a next gen Switch possibly in the next 18 months thought I'd post some updated thoughts:

1. What if Switch 2 uses the power of the original Switch somehow? That would be a departure from the past and strongly support install base retention.

2.VR is getting too big to ignore. Haptic + VR + AR in a portable form factor feels like a very Nintendo thing to do in its new age of integrative innovation as illustrated by Switch's integrative form factor - could this be the focus of it's next gen?

3. Simply a higher spec Switch successor feels too safe...unlikely that this is what we'll get unless Nintendo feels that they've learnt all the lessons of the Wii successor strategy and have confirmed that Switch's USP does have a long life ( seem to recall the Ceo expecting Switch to last 10 years when ir launched so...)

4. On this enduring USP point maybe Marty-McFly was right?. Switch Advance anyone?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Blue Ocean was just the Wii/DS days, to reach people that didn't game before (and retain those who did). With phones and other devices taking that role that's not what they've been doing. That the Switch is so successful doesn't make it somehow unprecedented like those. It offers the same kind of games other consoles have just as well, but a) portable like their previously successful portable systems (it's not exactly the first on that front, lol) and b) with the usual Nintendo quality a la Mario, BOTW, etc., sealing the deal. Experiments like Labo might have been blue ocean attempts but just narrow niche offerings in the end. Yeah, sure, it's neat that it's a hybrid a la PSP Go/Shield etc., they do other neat stuff, but not on the scale of Wii/DS. Might as well call every new feature a company might incorporate like haptic triggers or whatever else a blue ocean strategy and take away all its meaning if that's all it takes for you. Most stuff you suggest wouldn't even be blue ocean, they're far from needing the first big company to take and popularise them. AR and streaming is in heavy use (even by Nintendo), there already are dedicated (and not dedicated, like PS) VR consoles. Repeating that they don't intend to compete 1:1 but just do their own thing as well as they can, which this time has manifested mostly with the quality software they're known for (not that all their software is quality, but obviously they have a big hit ratio) doesn't mean blue ocean.

Last edited:
It definitely won’t be high tech.

It will be a new way to integrate old technology together.

Nintendo hasn’t been in that competition for a long time.

FStubbs

What's your reflection now that Steamdeck is out and about? Not simple enough to use for the mass market I think...
I don't think enough of them are actually in the wild to have made an impact yet.

EDIT: At some point Valve will have to sell them at Amazon and other shops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom