• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's been your experience tracking down a PS5?

Zephir

An electronic store in Italy announced some PS5 stock would be available at day1, starting at 8am......I tried to get one, even if I wasn't really one of those "f5 every second" guy...the fist time I logged into the webpage, it was in stock, so I put an order and, right after I did the purchase, the website went down.

Had to wait a couple of weeks, more than an usual shipment, but eventually, it arrived (in an awful transparent cellophane package, anybody could see and steal/replace it...all the news about kitchen stuff and cat food being sent instead of the console and all the packages stolen by couriers didn't help)

Overall, I was lucky...and the best part is...I've yet to buy a single PS5 game...I've only upgraded the PS4 games I have, plus the PSPlus games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I went to get groceries at Wal-Mart at like 630 PM on the Saturday after Black Friday. I was checking out at the register and the dude in front of me had a PS5, so I left my girlfriend at the register and went back to electronics. They had one left so I got it. Zero time and effort spent looking for one; basically tripped over a PS5 while getting groceries ... :lollipop_anguish:

Rubik8

Super easy. I got an offer to preorder from Sony. I was able to log in with the provided link and bought it. I had scored one the night before from Target.com. I had to hit refresh a few times but was able to preorder. I ended up switching the Target order over to my brother cause I’m not a dirtbag scalper.
I feel bad for everyone having a hard time getting their next gen system of choice. Just stay vigilant, the drought can’t last forever, or you’ll eventually get lucky.

nemiroff

Gold Member
New date from my preferred store in Norway is December.. But might be earlier. I was quick and lucky to get to buy a XSX, but had no luck with a 3080.

anaphase

Got one super easily by following the tracking twitter accounts. Followed the accounts, set it and forget it.

Got a few notifications for stupid bundles, a few days later. Got a bundle I wanted(spiderman) a couple days after that, no sweat.

I will say this, I just go happened to buy through Best buy which have a buy process that only allows actual humans to buy. So i'm sure that made it much easier than most other places. The add to cart button is disabled and only enables when they confirm stock, no need to refresh the page. Once you get one in the cart, you get an email with a code to continue the purchase, then you're done.

Took me about 10 mins all told.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Anyone got any advice for someone who doesn’t have Twitter or social media for getting quick stock alerts?
I follow "FixitFixitFixit" on youtube. He has a discord that has pretty good alerts and you can choose what products you're looking for so you only get alerts for those particular items.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. Quick Question. With the Main Playstation website, once you're on the page, and you're actually let in, do you have a certain amount of time before it times you out. Like do you need to be as fast as possible at that point?

Fredrik

No luck. Started scanning the online retailers today again because of Returnal, saw someone selling it for 1100kr, that’s $1300, I could have it on may 6th.

Filldo

I got one in my cart through Best Buy but it was store pickup only and the closest was over an hour away and only available on a day I was out of town. So thats was soul crushing. Every other time they sell out before I can get one in a cart. Worst part is my fiancé is supposed to buy it for me for my birthday last October so I just have to find one and it seems like it’s not gonna happen any time soon.

Neff

Joined an alerts Discord, got a drop alert for one store which allowed me to purchase one after staying up all night, but they cancelled it. Fucking wankers.

Got another alert for a BIG drop at one particular store (10k consoles), set my alarm for the drop, created a bookmark for the bundle I wanted which allowed me to skip the pages you have to negotiate beforehand, and started refreshing. Got one instantly. My heart was racing like a motherfucker, it was a great feeling.

All in all it took about two weeks of dedicated and patient effort to land one.

Neff's advice-

1. Follow every source you can. There are many with contacts within the stores themselves.
2. Be timely and ready when you get a tip off. Be prepared for unannounced drops.
3. Make your purchase from a desktop via ethernet, a strong connection will reduce the chance of being logged out if you're in a queue or battling a ravaged server.
4. Bookmark every store which regularly sells them and edit your bookmarks to go directly to the product itself if possible. Speed is everything.
5. Go for bundles if you can afford it, scalpers avoid them.
6. Don't give up. They're becoming easier to get all the time.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
Doesn't make sense
Confused Thinking GIF

waxer

Cousin mentioned he wanted one. I signed up for notification. A few weeks later I get message in stock and pass onto him. 5 minutes later he owns one.

I don't buy till a few years in when on boxing day sales and not only are there plenty of games but they are affordable.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
At this point, is there a chance there will be a better version of a PS5 coming out say as it becomes 1 year old? What's been the history of this with previous console generations? I know with PS3 there was the original BC PS3's. I bought mine off of some dude after they discontinued the BC ones.

Like is it possible they come out with a fully BC PS5? In which case I'll be extremely pissed that I bought mine now (if i can find one)?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
My experience has been that it's not easy, it's frustrating as hell, but ultimately do-able (without buying from scalpers), and oh SO worth it in the end!!

NickFire

At this point, is there a chance there will be a better version of a PS5 coming out say as it becomes 1 year old? What's been the history of this with previous console generations? I know with PS3 there was the original BC PS3's. I bought mine off of some dude after they discontinued the BC ones.

Like is it possible they come out with a fully BC PS5? In which case I'll be extremely pissed that I bought mine now (if i can find one)?
I really doubt it. They are outselling PS4 and the current demand is still probably multiple times what they have sold.

drotahorror

I snagged 2 at the end of November. One from best buy and 1 from walmart. Both took very little effort but I spent many hours previously for about 1.5 weeks with no luck. I sold the other to a friend at cost.

ethomaz

Banned
It was easier than PS4.

PS4 I have to do on Santa Efigênia to buy one.
PS5 I received at home few days after the launch here.

Last edited:
I missed the initial preorder after Wal-Mart screwed everyone over. But, luckily I heard about another wave of preorders at GameStop and waited out from 3 in the morning to get mine.

I did manage to snag a Series X from Wal-Mart's website the moment they went live.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
A lot of folks are making me feel like I'm not trying hard enough. Ok I'm gonna have a PS5 within a months time. I'm goin hard on this, just like I did for the 3080.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A lot of folks are making me feel like I'm not trying hard enough. Ok I'm gonna have a PS5 within a months time. I'm goin hard on this, just like I did for the 3080.
I camped on like 10 websites on release day and managed to order on one.
It arrived in fucking january but they held their promise and delivered at least. Was worth the wait since I paid normal retail price.
With 3080, I camped out nvidia website for a launch week obsessively. I even took some time off, had distill set up and scripts to help me fill in the shipment info earlier. After whole week, it happened and the stock lasted 2 minutes... but I got one

Celcius

°Temp. member
I preordered my PS5 at Target.com like 2 months before release. I still don't have an RTX 3000 series videocard if it makes you feel better OP.

NeilH1982

Banned
Paid 550 euros for a Digital Edition Last month from a scalper after the local Mediamarkt let me order one, then cancelled my order and refunded. Also had a PS5 dissapear from my cart multiple times when trying to order in the past so I just said Fuck it and went the scalper route. We're a month on and I haven't seen one go on sale since then. I ain't even mad at overpaying. Console has been everything I hoped for and more

On a side note, bought a Series X through online retailer at about the same time. They seem to come in stock slightly more but are also quite constrained

Ten_Fold

Got mines through ps direct a week after launch last year, it was pretty annoying. I got my series X a month ago in a similar way. I pretty much took 3 days off an just had that ps direct tab up. The series X was more tricky because they don’t have a Microsoft direct type of thing, but I still got it from Best Buy, it took like a few tries. It seems both systems are hard to get, I thought the Xbox would’ve been easy.

TheMan

I got lucky and snagged a preorder from Target almost as soon as they went live. There was a delay with shipping so I waited a week or two I think but otherwise no issues.

Xbox was a different story. I just don't have the time to constantly check storefronts or twitter feeds as frequently as I would need to, so weeks of search were fruitless and I wasn't about to pay some asshole 150 - 200 dollars over MSRP. Got lucky with Series S being available and got that instead.

good luck with the PS5 search OP, shit sucks

Last edited:
Top Bottom