• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a style of game you thought you wouldn't like till you tried it?

Whats a style, perspective, genre you avoided due to preconceived notions but loved after you tried it?

I used to hate isometric games. As someone raised in the 3d ps2 era primarily anything that wasn't first or third person was an immediate turn off. One day when there was absolutely nothing to play I was looking for a good RPG to play. I played mostly all the popular ones and I was suffering from Witcher 3 withdrawals after beating it in roughly 2017. So against my own bias and with the recommendation of a few youtube channels I decided to pick up DOS II with some people calling it one of the greatest RPGs of all time. From that moment I was hooked and actually began to appreciate the isometric perspective. Since then I played wasteland 3, diablo 3 (recent lttp) , disco elysium , hades and more. Its really a great genre with some superb gems and revisiting the classics always ensures I have something to play.

I avoided Roguelike/Roguelite style games for years because I thought I would hate them, but then I played Hades and really loved it.

However consensus seems to be that Hades is just about the best one out there, so I may have spoiled myself.

I did later play Returnal and like it a lot, though (even if I'm pretty bad at it).

killatopak

Gold Member
Grid based strategy RPG.

I used to dislike them from afar. Like who want to play grids and shit. I want action and I want it now.

It only took an ip that I like that delved into SRPG and the rest is history.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Open world games. Modern GTA never really grabbed me apart from just doing silly things in game.

Played BoTW loved the open world.

Grid based strategy RPG.

I used to dislike them from afar. Like who want to play grids and shit. I want action and I want it now.

It only took an ip that I like that delved into SRPG and the rest is history.
idk if its grid based but trying crusader kings now. not my typical style but i heard once you get into it its superb. the barrier of entry is just high as hell, which seems to be a commonality.

Playing Hero PVP games like Overwatch and League made me think that I didn't enjoy multiplayer versus games anymore. Turns out that wasn't the issue, and instead after playing other multiplayer shooters and MOBAs, I've realized those specific games(OW and League) are designed in every little way to make people feel more upset towards other people.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
idk if its grid based but trying crusader kings now. not my typical style but i heard once you get into it its superb. the barrier of entry is just high as hell, which seems to be a commonality.
I recommend CK3 since it's a lot more beginner friendly. Well relatively beginner friendly compared to CK2. Don't even go with normal difficulty. Go with easy. Thing is still pretty hard despite being easy.

The thing with CK's difficulty is that it's not like the AI is super smart or anything, it's just that there's so many moving parts to the game that learning it is part of the difficulty itself. I've played close to 200 hours of CK3 and I'm still watching guides on Youtube. You aren't required to learn everything. It's just that knowing more, opens up a lot of stuff you can exploit in the game. The balance of the game is geared towards you exploiting a lot of these strategies.

Whether it's painting the whole world with the color of your empire or growing your small part of the map into a technological powerhouse it all depends on the story you plan to make. The beauty of the game isn't that there's some end game to this. It's that the journey towards your goal is fun in it of itself. I mean the stories people tell on their own playthrough is so amusing that I love reading all about it. Like some Duke from Ireland that marries his daughter to the third son of the king of Germany then by fluke both older sons died and your grandson, who is part of your dynasty, suddenly inherits the whole of Germany. Is it a fluke or did you assassinate both older sons? Both can be true and that's the beauty of the game.

kubricks

I avoided Roguelike/Roguelite style games for years because I thought I would hate them, but then I played Hades and really loved it.

However consensus seems to be that Hades is just about the best one out there, so I may have spoiled myself.

I did later play Returnal and like it a lot, though (even if I'm pretty bad at it).
Hades is the exception, the progression tights to the story very well, and that even if you suck at the game (well I do...) the character will get leveled to a point it is very easy to finish "most' of the story.

Most other Roguelike isn't like that. If you didn't git gud you kind of stuck.

Hoddi

I thought I was way too old to play 'difficult' games like Dark Souls/Bloodborne etc. Even some platformers like Super Mario were getting a bit difficult for me when playing them in emulators.

Turns out that I had just gotten used to games being easy. I now get fairly bored with 'cinematic' games and I've fallen hard for all the 'Metroidvania' games that I missed over the years. I just needed a better controller.

Last edited:

manfestival

Tarkov clones, I havent played the OG but playing the Cycle Frontier is pretty fun. Funny enough cause while The Hunt Showdown is not a tarkov clone. It plays somewhat similar but not a fan of that game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought all those cheesy flash kinds of puzzle games, numbers games and Wordle would be shit. I never even played these when the internet came about and there were tons of free flash sites.

But I've had my fun doing Hexologic, 2048, Wordle etc... My interest goes in waves. Do it a lot, burned out and skip for a few years, then when the next fad puzzle game comes do it again.

Dr99s9w.jpg

Man was I wrong.

mxbison

Card games. I liked Gwent as a sidegame in Witcher 3 but didn't really care for them otherwise. Tried Slay the Spire when it came to PS+ and now have like 200 hours in it.

Also Rogue-likes. But maybe that's just Hades, haven't really enjoyed any others that much.

dbilyliker

spy spamming or whatever was so fun.
True.

And I just realized the chinese wuxia games also attracted me.
I used to think it's impossible to learn every ancient martial art in a game and play a ranger I wanna be, then The Scroll Of Taiwu hit me. Now I know a lot of good games about this type.

I hated the fps games either since I would feel sick if I play it for a little time, but the TitanFall2 did what can not happened.

Last edited:

Aurelius

Survival games untill I played (and platinumd) Subnautica.

More recently Kirby games untill I played the latest one with my kids.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm old enough to have experienced pretty much every genre's evolution. So I'm more in the opposite end of the spectrum; F.ex. I grew from loving fighting games to disliking them, and same thing with JRPGs. I'm regressing..

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wasn't too much into JRPGs. Thought they were kinda boring until I started playing the SMT games, starting with Persona 5. That game was a huge surprise, liked it far more than I was expecting to.

Bankai

JRPG's as well! I though I would hate the turn-based combat, it looked so dull and slow.

First one I tried & played fully was Child of Light, which was such a delight! After that I finished Ni No Kuni on PS3, which is fantastic, except for some of the grinding at the end - hated that. I also went back and finished Chrono Trigger on my Snes Classic (modded), which I really liked as well. Played a couple of other ones after these titles and I now consider it a genre I can really like.

FF7 remake is on my backlog, so I think that'll be the next one I'll tackle.

M1987

Souls games. Never liked the look of them, but I decided to try Bloodborne last week, and I'm so glad I did. It's hard af, but amazing, and it's by far the hardest game I have ever played

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
0aca7f0078df5a2d3d66a3122be6f93b015e98c1d85b0e5a0a8a75b94c748ce2_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

capsule_616x353-700x409.jpg

cRPGs. I'm in love with them now. Turn based only though. Real time with pause is too chaotic.
I wish I could get into them. I went through a phase a couple years back where I tried them but none of them clicked for me. I tried Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate (original), Underrail, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, and some Shadowrun games.

Baldur's Gate 3 looks cool. I want to try it but i'll need to wait for it to release and go on a decent sale.

Souls games until I picked up Bloodborne a few years back. I was swayed by the reviews and the art style but initially I bounced right off it due to the difficulty. I returned to it some time later, it clicked, and I fell in love with it, which led me to play all of the Souls games, Sekiro and Elden Ring.

pramod

Banned
The EDF series. Im not sure what genre EdF belongs to exactly, its kind of its unique thing, ie the kill everything collect weapons in a big sandbox type of game....i always thought it sounded dumb but after i played EDF 2017 i was hooked. Its now my favorite gaming franchise.

Mister Wolf

I wish I could get into them. I went through a phase a couple years back where I tried them but none of them clicked for me. I tried Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate (original), Underrail, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, and some Shadowrun games.

Baldur's Gate 3 looks cool. I want to try it but i'll need to wait for it to release and go on a decent sale.

Try Baldur's Gate 3. That's the one that got me started. Gave it a shot with the Early Access and became obsessed. High production value and great writing. Top tier turn based combat. I also like all of the companion characters. I had to stop myself from playing the Early Access. Racked up 50 hours in it and hadn't even completed it. The full game releases in 2023. I'm waiting for that. Pathfinder WOTR though not as good is still excellent. These games made me realize I like the Monk Classes with Unarmed Strike. I tried Divinity 1 and 2 before. Didn't like the combat ruleset or the companion characters. Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons(Baldur's Gate) are way better in their world, combat rules, and companions.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Try Baldur's Gate 3. That's the one that got me started. Gave it a shot with the Early Access and became obsessed. High production value and great writing. Top tier turn based combat. I had to stop myself from playing the Early Access. Racked up 50 hours in it and hadn't even completed it. The full game releases in 2023. I'm waiting for that. Pathfinder WOTR though not as good is still excellent. These games made me realize I like the Monk Classes with Unarmed Strike.
How's Pathfinder for someone with not a lot of experience witht hose games? They are the one's that appeal to me the most, but I also heard they are the most complicated.

Man, I'm such a brainlet with those games. I remember playing BG years ago and having a hard time understanding all the underlying mechanics.

Mister Wolf

How's Pathfinder for someone with not a lot of experience witht hose games? They are the one's that appeal to me the most, but I also heard they are the most complicated.

Man, I'm such a brainlet with those games. I remember playing BG years ago and having a hard time understanding all the underlying mechanics.

Pretty simple to understand and an unlimited amount of character customization with builds. Understanding the combat is simple. They have a tutorial with windows that pop up. You can adjust and customize the difficulty at any time. They even have things like Auto level for you and your companions if you don't feel like doing it yourself. One thing I would recommend is putting the Crusade Mode on Auto. Its a base building army management portion of the game that I dont care for. Thankfully you can put it on auto, ignore it, and focus on adventuring. If you're thinking of running a particular build there are tons of vids on youtube to reference. Thats what I'm doing with my current Scaled Fist Monk build. He's a beast now haha. Give it a shot. If you have any questions hit me up.

TintoConCasera

Pretty simple to understand and an unlimited amount of character customization with builds. Understanding the combat is simple. They have a tutorial with windows that pop up. You can adjust and customize the difficulty at any time. They even have things like Auto level for you and your companions if you don't feel like doing it yourself. One thing I would recommend is putting the Crusade Mode on Auto. Its a base building army management portion of the game that I dont care for. Thankfully you can put it on auto, ignore it, and focus on adventuring. If you're thinking of running a particular build there are tons of vids on youtube to reference. Thats what I'm doing with my current Scaled Fist Monk build. He's a beast now haha. Give it a shot. If you have any questions hit me up.
Thanks man! I didn't know about setting the management things to auto, which is great news since I'm far more attracted to the adventuring side of the game.

Have you tried the Pillars of Eternity games? I have the second already waiting for me in the backlog, heard it's more open ended than the first one and that would be a huge plus for me.

Mister Wolf

Thanks man! I didn't know about setting the management things to auto, which is great news since I'm far more attracted to the adventuring side of the game.

Have you tried the Pillars of Eternity games? I have the second already waiting for me in the backlog, heard it's more open ended than the first one and that would be a huge plus for me.

I tried Pillars Of Eternity 2 which has turn based. My problem with it is 1 It is a direct continuation of the first game and 2 you cannot rotate the camera. On Baldurs Gate 3 and Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous you can Rotate the camera and they are their own self contained stories.

Souls.
Saw my little brother playing Demon's Souls back in the day, didn't quite understand the appeal as he kept getting flattened by the same monster (not boss) during the five minutes I watched.
Couple years later, Dark Souls was included in games with gold. Got it on 360, enjoyed a lot.

My time with WoW was coming to an end after playing that game for a disgusting amount of time and needed something new. I never thought a pvp only shooter would hold my interest for very long, yet OW kept me coming back for more every single day. It was the perfect mix of readability, accessibility, and plenty of room for growth that only became more fun even if also frusrating at times.

Rogue lites weren't (ok, mostly aren't still) my thing until Dead Cells and now Returnal made me love them as much as anything can. Still plan on playing Hades and CoM sometime to see how they stack up.

Rayderism

I didn't think I'd like the "choose your own adventure" type games.....Until Dawn, The Quarry, Dark Anthology, Life Is Strange, The Telltale games, etc. But I've found that I really enjoy them.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Stop it people over and over again we’ve seen cod has a reliable engine and graphics sadly it comes up short verse games like halo, crysis, battlefield in terms of graphics. I feel bad for people thinking certain games have “styles”.

Well 2 games i didnt think id like but addicted to atm are hunt showndown and insurgency sandstorm, both addicted yet hate them at the same time

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I completely ignored JRPGS (I thought they would be overly complicated and boring) until my older brother bought Persona Revelations over in 1996 and it blew me away!

Went back to the 8 and 16 bit era and caught up! (thank goodness for game rentals) and came back just in time for FF7 to release in 1997

I didn't give a shit about puzzle room games until VR game around. Now I can't get enough of it. Escape room style stuff in vr hits on another level

april6e

Hack and Slash ARPGs. Despite loving RPGs, I dislike the genre. Fighting waves upon waves of the same few enemies is boring to me ( I hate tower defense games for this same reason) and these games also tend to suffer from poor storytelling. I had tried out games like Diablo 3 and hated every moment of it.

Then I played Diablo 2 Resurrected when it came out and it blew me away. It blew me away that a game that old had such incredible gameplay mechanics and replayability. Soon after, I tried Grim Dawn and loved it as well.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Tetris & Puyo Puyo. I thought you had to be some old geriatric boomer to see any value in them, they had almost 0 action and were all focused on slow boring puzzles. Then I played Puyo Puyo 2 for the first time, and now i see the light. These games are fucking awesome

Top Bottom