• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever you do, don't buy a RX 5000 Series GPU. And if you have one, sell it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Honestly thank you for making this thread OP I've been making the same points on a tech forum and people are being really asinine. 5700xt might as well be an RX 580 in the long run NO ONE should be buying this line of cards "NEXT GEN" is a hard line that starts with the RTX 2060/SUPER with DSR, DLSS 2.0, RT ECT. The RTX 2060 Super could have a reasonable gamer set for the next few years

mr.dilya

Banned
"Now"... I'm speaking to a wall. Mesh shaders and Sampler feedback are not even used. Neither is DirectStorage on PC. And with games Using Raytracing and DLSS 2.0 the 2060 is already far ahead of the 5700xt in terms of visual quality and performance.

Yes, we deal with the here and now. You are hypotheizing about the future but you can't say for sure and if precedent is anything to go by, the 5700xt will fare just fine for the next 2 to 3 years, when as has already been explained to you, people will be shopping for new GPUS anyway. I don't think anyone buying a 5700xt now is expecting them to last the entire console generation.

The 2060 sucks at ray tracing and might as well not even have it. No one in their right mind would recommend the 2060 as a better value for price/performance than a 5700xt, youv'e got to be kidding me man LMAO. This type of retardedness is why I am convinced you are an NVDIA hypeman.

ON TOP of that it's damn near impossible for the average person to even GET a new GPU, but you are telling people to run out and sell their 5700xt's which are running AAA games beautifully. You stupid or dumb? This thread is pointless.

Rikkori

You're vastly overestimating the rapidity with which all the DX12U features will see adoption. Sadly it won't be soon & we'll have Hopper and RDNA 3 by the time those are even commonly seen let alone ubiquitous in AAA gaming (to say nothing of everyone else). Tbh I hated RDNA 1 from the get go, so I'm no strong defender of the 5700 XT but even so it's not a bad buy considering the current market. If you can wait, then it makes sense to forget about it and get an Ampere/RDNA 2 card, but that's always the case with PC hardware. Hell, we're less than a year out from refreshes as it is (crazy, right?).

Right now for shops in my country the only "old" cards that are left and selling are exactly RDNA 1 or at best some 2060 from the Turing side. Anything above that, 2060 super and up, or Ampere/RDNA 2 - totally gone (or grossly overpriced when in stock). So if you want to play Cyberpunk and don't have a decent gpu already, then you only really have RDNA 1 as an option.

AC Valhalla is not a next gen game, it is a current gen game running at 60 FPS on the next gen consoles.

It doesn't even use ANY DX12 Ultimate feature.

And I already stated RTX 2K series is fine, due to the compatible featureset. I never said anything about cranking settings to ultra in next gen only games, that is not what this thread is about.

The problem here is that you're fighting tooth and nail on an issue that everyone CLEARLY has absolute apathy towards. No one cares about DX12. Or DX12 Ultimate. These technologies dead ended in our hearts long ago.

oagboghi2

This thread should be closed, the OP makes no sense. Sounds like he/she read a bunch of articles from Digital Foundry and thought that the end times for old hardware was coming.

I run a Radon 7 and it eats a lot of current games, barring ray tracing.
so it doesn't "eat" any of them.

The thread is fine. He didn't break any rules so why should it be closed

RobRSG

Well, Hardware Unboxed still seems to be proud of that they recommended that outdated cards to their viewers. As a tech channel, this is just irresponsible.

They really like their old AMD cards for some reason.

Papacheeks

Banned
so it doesn't "eat" any of them.

The thread is fine. He didn't break any rules so why should it be closed

HOW MANY games have meaninful Ray tracing? How many were built engine wise from the ground up with these new feature sets? My RADON 7 shits on pretty much any game thats out currently. And it's from VEGA based GCN.

Show me in the footage from last year on Cyberpunk how much Ray tracing they had in any of their footage? Ray tracing was added after the fact. And honestly if your not shill, you would understand that it's shadows, reflections and some lighting changes that seem to be more apparent in the city not in the NOMAD area's.

So far PS5's RAy tracing for ratchet and Spiderman seem to be cutting edge in their use, everyone else is playing catch up and adding ray traced reflections that honestly I can do without. Which is part of the whole conversation happening in the other thread about the RTX and Big Navi line.

Soodanim

In general PC components seem to be in (or approaching) a period of transition. RT is still fresh, as is DLSS-style tech, then we have DirectStorage coming in time, then DDR5 within a couple of years (AFAIK). I’m holding on until things settle down.

Dampf

The problem here is that you're fighting tooth and nail on an issue that everyone CLEARLY has absolute apathy towards. No one cares about DX12. Or DX12 Ultimate. These technologies dead ended in our hearts long ago.
Well in that case, it should make your heart happy that Kronos is working to bring these features to Vulkan as well.

Vulkan%2012%20Press%20Deck_07.png

I'm sure a Sampler Feedback and DirectStorage equivalent will follow as well.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
HOW MANY games have meaninful Ray tracing? How many were built engine wise from the ground up with these new feature sets? My RADON 7 shits on pretty much any game thats out currently. And it's from VEGA based GCN.

Show me in the footage from last year on Cyberpunk how much Ray tracing they had in any of their footage? Ray tracing was added after the fact. And honestly if your not shill, you would understand that it's shadows, reflections and some lighting changes that seem to be more apparent in the city not in the NOMAD area's.

So far PS5's RAy tracing for ratchet and Spiderman seem to be cutting edge in their use, everyone else is playing catch up and adding ray traced reflections that honestly I can do without. Which is part of the whole conversation happening in the other thread about the RTX and Big Navi line.
Buying a VGA now would mean thinking about the PS5/XSX gen, and is expected almost all if not all games having some kind of RT effects. Spiderman and ratchet are doing only reflections with RT. If they were using RT for GI, shadows and reflections like Metro and Control the PS5 would explode.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, we deal with the here and now. You are hypotheizing about the future but you can't say for sure and if precedent is anything to go by, the 5700xt will fare just fine for the next 2 to 3 years, when as has already been explained to you, people will be shopping for new GPUS anyway. I don't think anyone buying a 5700xt now is expecting them to last the entire console generation.

The 2060 sucks at ray tracing and might as well not even have it. No one in their right mind would recommend the 2060 as a better value for price/performance than a 5700xt, youv'e got to be kidding me man LMAO. This type of retardedness is why I am convinced you are an NVDIA hypeman.

ON TOP of that it's damn near impossible for the average person to even GET a new GPU, but you are telling people to run out and sell their 5700xt's which are running AAA games beautifully. You stupid or dumb? This thread is pointless.

The 2060 might suck at ray tracing, but the XSX performs about at that level, or maybe a 2060 Super level.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Is DX12 dead? Will games only use DX11 and/or Vulkan from now on?

Last edited:

Dampf

The 2060 might suck at ray tracing, but the XSX performs about at that level, or maybe a 2060 Super level.
Indeed, and it really doesn't suck at moderate RT settings and with DLSS 2.0. It punches far above its weight then.

I actually do have a RX5700XT overclocked and undervolted. I play at 1080p without RT and I'm damn happy with it. Everything on ultra or at least very high and no problems here. It ain't future proof I'll give u that but for rightnow if u can live without RT and 4K you're absolutely good to go.

Yep, that's what I am saying. It's decent for cross gen if you can live with sacrifices to visual quality and performance.

It's just not made for running true next generational games.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Anyone in the market for a 5000 card isn't going to spend 300-400€ extra to be futureproof. They'll just buy a new midrange card for €300 when this one isn't cutting it anymore.

Case in point: I bought a 5500XT the other day for a good sub €200 price and I'm damn happy with it for Genshin Impact, which is the only PC game I'm playing right now that demands more than the integrated Vega 11 graphics I was running before.

Kenpachii

The only cards u should buy right now are the 6000 line or 3090 nothing else is useful if you want something that ages well.

Unless nvidia starts to up the v-ram amount the real next gen cards come out for nvidia with the 4000 series most likely, so i wouldn't touch any of there gpu's unless u are in need for one right now.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Most PC gamers have 1060 so for the foreseeable future most games will be made to run at least decently on that. How does the 1060 compare to RX 5000?

Devs don't give a fuck about anything like that. Console games are usually just dumped on PC and require hardware with same performance (if not more) and same features. We still don't have any true next gen games...

mcz117chief

Devs don't give a fuck about anything like that. Console games are usually just dumped on PC and require hardware with same performance (if not more) and same features. We still don't have any true next gen games...
Yeah, I am sure devs don't care if the game will sell or not. Bruh... of course they are allowing their games to downscale so that the greatest potential of people can buy it, that is why you can play Cyberpunk 2077 on the GTX 780 and not just 1080+. MONEY!!

Yeah, I am sure devs don't care if the game will sell or not. Bruh... of course they are allowing their games to downscale so that the greatest potential of people can buy it, that is why you can play Cyberpunk 2077 on the GTX 780 and not just 1080+. MONEY!!
And why shouldn't they? They should aim at a price point / market share. it's hard to find them, the latest GPU's that is, even if you can afford them.

Last edited:

drotahorror

It's ok, nobody is recommending that card to anyone now anyway.

The 3060ti is a much better buy in that price range.

I only clicked on one thread this morning / today and got to this post. Then spent my morning trying to purchase a 3060 ti. Secured one! Never even knew it was coming this soon. What a great card for a great price, especially for me since I'm a 1080p/144hz kind of guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Most PC gamers have 1060 so for the foreseeable future most games will be made to run at least decently on that. How does the 1060 compare to RX 5000?
And most people on pc had 8600/9600GT on PS4 launch. And most people had FX5200 on X360 launch, and so on... Time to upgrade.

Boss Mog

Guys, whatever you do don't buy a PS3 either. You can't find sealed games in stores anymore and Sony removed digital PS3 games from the PS store. Don't do it, it is not future proof.

Kumomeme

next gen just started. all those new features indeed important but we in market where 1060/580 gpu still laying around as lower baseline with cross gen console games still a things. also probably depend on resolution. there still tons of 1080p user out there. so probably bit earlier to said this. first wave of next gen game probably still somehow fine. but after that, yeah especially when crossgen support is faded.

but ofcourse, rdna2 looks like whole different beast than rdna1. not to mention those ray tracing features and stuff. even nvidia's 3060ti even somehow on par or out perform 2080 super. obviously for long term it wiser to buy latest stuff on market and you right if we think about long term, better save budget for rdna2 gpu instead. not to mention how much different it will be with rdna3 later.

J3nga

Some people need GPU now while they are locked at home, who knows when Ampere card's availability will become high enough so you actually can get one at around MSRP.

drotahorror

Guys, whatever you do don't buy a PS3 either. You can't find sealed games in stores anymore and Sony removed digital PS3 games from the PS store. Don't do it, it is not future proof.

I think you can still buy digital games through the PS3 store. You can't on the webstore though.

But next gen games will run horribly on that card, or might not run at all (if AMD still doesn't bother to enable DXR)
A non-budget GPU being straight up unable to run games within a few years of its release? Are you some sort of time traveler from the 90s?

Dampf

I’m quite happy with my 5700xt. Fuck off.
You seem pretty angry. What did I do? Did I make you feel insecure about your purchase? Maybe that's a good thing, as cards like yours hold back game development.

I mean, as long as you want to play cross gen titles with last gen console graphics, you will be fine.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
A non-budget GPU being straight up unable to run games within a few years of its release? Are you some sort of time traveler from the 90s?

He's new or this is an alt account and has no fucking clue what scalability is. It's like he doesn't know that back in the days Ageaia Physx games ran like ass on current cards and even the newer ones like the 770gtx had issues. So after a while people just turned that shit off. Same with Tressfx.

The same is with RAY tracing. It's not being used in big meaningful ways yet. And wont be until engine rewrites happen.

Last edited:
Funny how Nvidia releasing the GTX 16 series after they have already released RTX cards to the market isn't seen as holding development back. Be even funnier if Nvidia continue to release GTX cards though, wonder if OP will be just as vigorous with their disdain.

lmimmfn

took your advice OP and went for this Premium beast instead, X850 pro, cant wait to test raytracing, thanks for the heads up!
asd-jpg.594338

Last edited:
You seem pretty angry. What did I do? Did I make you feel insecure about your purchase? Maybe that's a good thing, as cards like yours hold back game development.

This is pretty rich coming from you. You created this thread with a rambling fanboy rant of an OP all because you got triggered and insecure about Nvidia/3060ti all due to watching one review where the reviewers are actually mostly positive on the card. Talk about projection.

Then in this thread you actually straight up advise people that the 2060 and 2060 super are somehow going to outperform a 5700XT at some unspecified time in the future even though they have been on the market for well over a year and are solidly trounced by the 5700XT already. In fact the 5700XT now competes pretty evenly with a 2070 Super.

The fact that you were triggered so much to even make this thread says it all really. Not to mention your complete lack of understanding when it comes to scalability in the PC market and GPU lifecyles. The 5700XT will run perfectly fine for 1080p/1440p for the foreseeable future.

Does the card have RT? No, but we already knew it didn't since it launched. The fact that you are trying to push the idea that a much weaker card (2060/2060 Super) is somehow superior because it has RT that is so weak it is barely playable is a joke. Similarly this is not some divine revelation you are dropping on us at 1+ years after release that the 5700XT doesn't have RT, we all know this already.

I don't really get why you are so triggered by all of this, if you want to buy a 3060ti then go for it, it looks like a good card for the price point. I can't fathom why you care so much what card other people buy, even going as far as saying people who already bought/own this slightly more than 1 year old GPU should suddenly panic sell it for no logical reason because you have against all evidence, logic and reason divined it to be terrible GPU in need of an instant upgrade. Get a grip please.

And just for the record, I actually think buying a full price 5700XT at this moment in time (or any Turing GPU for that matter) is a bad move as new GPUs have just launched from Nvidia/AMD and once supply settles the price of a 5700XT will probably drop by $100, which would be a good price point to buy it at if someone was interested in the card.

Last edited:

RasAlGhoul

I mean, as long as you want to play cross gen titles with last gen console graphics, you will be fine.

LoL you need help man. For real. Seek it.

Dampf

I will just leave this here:

AUUJXii.png

Expect that gap to wide far more in the future, once features like Sampler Feedback, VRS, and Mesh Shading get fully used. The 5700XT will get completely destroyed then by even a 2060.

That is, if AMD bothers to enables DXR for the 5700XT. If not, future games might not even boot...

BTW, I don't get why some of you got the idea this OP would be a fanboy rant, or a rant at all. I'm not ranting, I am simply stating what features are not supported by the 5700XT and I want to warn future buyers so they can go with a more modern GPU, that is all. I don't want anyone to make the big mistake of buying a 5700XT instead of a GPU that actually is capable of rendering next gen graphics. That Hardware Unboxed Video has not much to do with this thread, I was just a bit curious why they would be proud of recommending the 5700XT despite the fact it is so outdated AquaticSquirrel AquaticSquirrel

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Is so horribly outdated that is actually as fast if not faster in most cases as the 2070super which is a gpu that supposedly is 1 tier above rx5700xt which its direct competitor is the 2070 a card that completely destroys

Honestly thank you for making this thread OP I've been making the same points on a tech forum and people are being really asinine. 5700xt might as well be an RX 580 in the long run NO ONE should be buying this line of cards "NEXT GEN" is a hard line that starts with the RTX 2060/SUPER with DSR, DLSS 2.0, RT ECT. The RTX 2060 Super could have a reasonable gamer set for the next few years

At least RX580 is likely going to be well supported (by AMD standards) since it's GCN and there are millions of those cards in houses. On the other hand RDNA1 is stop gap architecture that was on the market for 1 year and still has unresolved problems.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed

AUUJXii.png

Expect that gap to wide far more in the future, once features like Sampler Feedback, VRS, and Mesh Shading get fully used. The 5700XT will get completely destroyed then by even a 2060.

That is, if AMD bothers to enables DXR for the 5700XT. If not, future games might not even boot...

BTW, I don't get why some of you got the idea this OP would be a fanboy rant, or a rant at all. I'm not ranting, I am simply stating what features are not supported by the 5700XT and I want to warn future buyers so they can go with a more modern GPU, that is all. I don't want anyone to make the big mistake of buying a 5700XT instead of a GPU that actually is capable of rendering next gen graphics. That Hardware Unboxed Video has not much to do with this thread, I was just a bit curious why they would be proud of recommending the 5700XT despite the fact it is so outdated AquaticSquirrel AquaticSquirrel

Because you single out one graphic card, when there are many being sold either by AMD and NVIDIAthat fit the same "problems". Why you aimed your over-reactive ADD at that particular card is the only interesting thing in this topic.

People who have it, have a great card.

You use Crysis at 1080P to show a discrepancy, I show you the average of a dozen games at 1440P.

Oajnoig.png

How do you like them apples?

Don't pretend to know the future. DX12 has 5 years and yet most games are released on DX11. You simply cannot predict the market.

Dampf

Hey, I can cherry pick too.

o3DzZ82.png
That is not even using DXR in this setting.

Crysis integrates Raytracing into its higher settings, which is exactly what will happen sooner rather than later in the cross generation, this is why Crysis is good foreshadowing of what's to come. And then the 2060 will pull far ahead through its HW-acceleration of RT alone and that is not even counting features like VRS which boost performance to up to 30%.

And even that is not even counting true next generation games which will use Sampler Feedback and Mesh Shading. Face it, this card will struggle heavily. Why are you guys defending it so much? I don't get it.

Is so horribly outdated that is actually as fast if not faster in most cases as the 2070super which is a gpu that supposedly is 1 tier above rx5700xt which its direct competitor is the 2070 a card that completely destroys

I can't even. Some of you must be trolling. How many times do I have to tell you guys this is about future games, when crucial next gen features are used that are currently not used at all...

Last edited:
Crysis integrates Raytracing into its higher settings, which is exactly what will happen sooner rather than later in the cross generation, this is why Crysis is good foreshadowing of what's to come.
On a technical level Crysis Remastered is widely considered to be one of the worst and most unoptimized remasters of all time. The only thing that game is foreshadowing is Crytek's eventual bankruptcy.

adamosmaki

and when exactly is the 5700xt will magically be worse than an rtx 2060 series gpu? All those features you talk about will probably start becoming mandatory in 2-3 years if not later and by that time everyone will have moved on from RDNA1/Turing and probably even ampere and RDNA 2 so this thread is pointless and stupid

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
That is not even using DXR in this setting.

Crysis integrates Raytracing into its higher settings, which is exactly what will happen sooner rather than later in the cross generation, this is why Crysis is good foreshadowing of what's to come. And then the 2060 will pull far ahead through its HW-acceleration of RT alone and that is not even counting features like VRS which boost performance to up to 30%.

And even that is not even counting true next generation games which will use Sampler Feedback and Mesh Shading. Face it, this card will struggle heavily. Why are you guys defending it so much? I don't get it.

I can't even. Some of you must be trolling. How many times do I have to tell you guys this is about future games, when crucial next gen features are used that are currently not used at all...

Again with the DXR. Listen to reason once again:

-No one with cards <400$ from <2019 will be able to play any DXR title in the future. Comparing 7fps VS 22fps does not make the game playable on either. DXR is not for any card of 2019 bellow 400$. That is it.

Dampf

Again with the DXR. Listen to reason once again:

-No one with cards <400$ from <2019 will be able to play any DXR title in the future. Comparing 7fps VS 22fps does not make the game playable on either. DXR is not for any card of 2019 bellow 400$. That is it.
Tell that to the Series S. Or the Series X, which certainly will have DXR for the whole generation. And we already know the 2060 Super performs better than the Series X in Raytracing, so the 2060 is not far off that. Use DLSS/ DirectML and the 2060 has enough power to pull better graphics settings and higher framerates than the Series X due to its reconstruction technique being accelerated by tensor cores.

This is just a stupid argument. It won't run DXR titles at Ultra Max Settings in 3 years and it doesn't have to, but it certainly will run with great , next gen graphics and great performance if you adjust the settings accordingly.

The 5700XT however, will not. You will get last gen graphics at a decent performance, it's not capable for more as it lacks the featureset parity to the next gen GPUs and consoles. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I think this would be a better thread if stock weren't so abysmal right now. As it stands right now, selling your 5700 XT because OP told you to is cutting off your nose to spite your face. And depending on when stock (and, just as important, price) gets sorted out, it might not be the worst stop gap out there.

Papacheeks

Banned

AUUJXii.png

Not even the 3080 can run it well with the ultra preset where they use 8k textures. Crysis being a benchmark for years is not new. SO I don't know what your trying to accomplish? All you did was prove everyone in here saying you have no clue about scalability in engine development. Just because a engine/game will use DIRECT X 12 U doesnt mean DX12 compliant cards wont run the game and run it well without some of those features.

It's like you have no clue according to steam stats what people are actually using for gpu's and what resolution they are using. let alone what kind of games they are playing. Everyone with a gpu bought in the past couple years will be able to play Cyberpunk.

Just a select few people with RTX capable cards that use DLSS right at launch will be playing this game with those settings. Actually let that sink in a little, how many RTX 3000 series cards are actually out in the wild? Currently not many.

So what will be the majority of players using to play said game? I mean the new Battlefield is next gen only so it's probably using a new updated version of Frostbyte, but the millions buying it will be using cards bought from the past couple years and only a handful of Radeon RX, NVIDIA RTX 3000 owners are going to be using those new features.

Seriously I stand by my statement you have no fucking clue what your talking about when it comes to PC gaming, let alone creating this thread on said low knowledgeability.

Hope this thread dies, it really is the worst .

Dampf

I think this would be a better thread if stock weren't so abysmal right now. As it stands right now, selling your 5700 XT because OP told you to is cutting off your nose to spite your face. And depending on when stock (and, just as important, price) gets sorted out, it might not be the worst stop gap out there.
Yes, you are right. Maybe the thread title was a bit overdramatic. As I said, if you can live with worse visual quality, the 5700XT will be fine for a while. So you don't exactly HAVE to sell it right now. And indeed, finding a new GPU can be quite a feat these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom