• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would YOU want out of a Quake reboot/remake?

MiguelItUp

So, with the Ancient Gods part 2 DLC dropping this year, surely id has already started working on another project. How could it NOT be a Quake reboot/remake?

That being said, what would YOU want out of a Quake reboot/remake?

As the OP, it's only fair that I go first...

I want to see a proper remake/reboot of the original. Dark, gritty, and full of Lovecraftian elements. I love what id did with DOOM 2016 and Eternal, but I'm hoping Quake can be handled differently so the two can be easily distinguishable.

I'd love to see a solid campaign with replayability (co-op would be awesome), and of course some solid multiplayer. It would be really cool to see it be open-ended for mods, or if they even attempted to do another Snap Map-like approach that allows players to build, share, and play their own levels online. I just want to see it crammed full of content, honestly. I mean, I miss FPS titles having a decent length campaign (with coop), and multiplayer full of various modes and maps.

It's wild to me that even with DOOM and Quake being as old as they are, I still feel like we haven't seen a proper celebration. I mean, both were incredibly influential for a number of reasons. DOOM (2016) and Eternal both got their fair amount of praise, especially with Eternal selling as well as it has and continues to. So, I suppose DOOM is basically covered. But with Quake, I still feel like it deserves a lot more love. Sure, we got Quake Champions, but it's hard to ignore that it was poorly marketed and just not handled well. Quake deserves a lot more than that.

I'd just love to see a new/modern Quake really embrace and celebrate its multiplayer. One with not only new maps, but all the great maps that the community loved across the entire series.

I just hopped back into Champions yesterday, and it was so hard to not think... "Man, how did they not have more modes, maps, and characters? It could've been more successful across the board..."

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
I'm 110% with you on this. Give me Quake 1 with modern visuals. Rocket jumps, slipgates, space bases and castles, etc... Forget any other Quake past the first ever existed. Ever since I've seen what they could do with Doom 2016, I've wanted this. Now that I've seen what they can do with Doom Eternal, I'm scared they'll fuck it up beyond belief, however.

They will not be rebooting quake. Quake Champions is alright for what it is. Die hard Quake live players hate it. But it's really not that bad.

The old school arena shooter market is tiny. Just look at how dead a game like diabotical already is. Which is really a great attempt at honouring Quake Live while trying to modernise. The problem with the AFPS community is they are so hardcore, its not an easy genre to get into. They'll chew out any attempts to make the games more appealing to new players. It's really not something worth trying at all. Just look on the diabotical reddit for all the shit that game gets. There is no pleasing that market and it's generous to even call it a market.

They tried doing more with QC btw but to keep things active you cant have too many modes etc.

Kids these days just aren't interested. Just look at how shit Overwatch is as a competitive shooter - people think games like that are acceptable and skillful. Games like TF2 and quake are just doing to die.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
An Easter Egg for Lobotomy Software. The Wizards who brought Quake to Sega Saturn.

Great development studio that didn't last. They were doing some insane things with 3D and the Saturn.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
A 320x200 graphics mode :pie_beaming_smiling:

A Quake reboot probably wouldn't be very good because they don't really design shooters like that anymore. The level design was so abstract and creative with lots of verticality and density... I just don't see a new Quake being made that would really nail it.
The whole of Episode 1 are some of the best multiplayer maps I think I've ever played

No fag colored particles and effects (e.g. green, purple)

jonah hill no GIF

Sure, I've always preferred the first Quake over the sequel's Strogg stuff but the MP ended up becoming the focus of the series and I've long wanted a new campaign based around the original. Heck it doesn't even need to be a remake, the story of the first Quake was so nebulous (I know it's in the manual but it's not reflected in the game at all) you could just do a new Quake and make up whatever story/scenario you want so long as it retained the style.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I've never played Quake 1, so all my love is for Quake 2, so I'd want it to be like that. Great sound effects, secrets and gibs is probably all I need, oh and I like the tone of the story in Q2 as well, I want more of that, ie:

"We went in thinking we'd demolish them and everyone is dead or in horrific bondage and now you have to blow up a giant fucking AA gun"

Whats the best way to play Quake 1 in 2021?

Last edited:

Caio

One thing I would love from ID, Doom1 and Doom2 Remake with same gameplay ! Give me film-like graphics with 2D sprite, with extra levels, but do not change the gameplay. Ok I will stop dreaming, back to reality, I'm sad :(

MiguelItUp

Kids these days just aren't interested. Just look at how shit Overwatch is as a competitive shooter - people think games like that are acceptable and skillful. Games like TF2 and quake are just doing to die.
IMO a lot of that has to deal with how the game/IP is handled. Overwatch was hot for a minute, but a lot of people dropped off because they weren't happy with the balance changes or overall direction of the game. I was one of those people, haha.

Besides, it just made me really want a TF3 even more so.

That being said, TF2 is far from dead, and its traffic is still very much alive and well. I mean, it's usually floating in the top ten highest current population on Steam. Right now it's currently #8 with 80,000 players. That is far from dead. It's a beloved series that is and has been free for a long awhile. Valve also continues to support it and advertise it for years. I mean, timed events were and are STILL going.

I know people mentioned Quake Champions, and yes, it's a fine game. In fact, I love it quite a bit. It just wasn't marketed or managed well IMO. The fact it was "released" with the amount of content it has is pretty crazy. They had a chance to make it a game that celebrated the Quake/id universe(s) and it feels like they barely grazed the surface.

Also, with the amount of love that Wolfenstein has received, as well as DOOM, how would a new Quake NOT be in the books? Makes sense to me.

Though, I'd admit if id collaborated with Raven and it was a new Heretic or Hexen I'd be fine with that too, lmao.

I've never played Quake 1, so all my love is for Quake 2, so I'd want it to be like that. Great sound effects, secrets and gibs is probably all I need, oh and I like the tone of the story in Q2 as well, I want more of that, ie:

"We went in thinking we'd demolish them and everyone is dead or in horrific bondage and now you have to blow up a giant fucking AA gun"

This makes me happy as Quake 2 was my TRUE first Quake experience. It was my first exposure to true online play, mods, etc. I played it for YEARS. I played the original Quake before then quite a bit, but I only dabbled in online at an old buddies house.

Some people hated the Strogg and wanted more of the Lovecraftian universe of the first game, but I loved both, honestly.

It's all up to you! There are a number of Quake mods available to improve visuals, lighting, etc. If that's what you're into. Some folks just like to go in raw and take it for all it's classic glory, haha. I'd just get it on Steam and go searching! I wish I could provide some more details, but I haven't kept up with it TBH.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I've decided this thread shows thats it going to be ultra hard to make anyone happy so prob just don't do it, or it has to be something totally different from Q1, Q2 or Q4 (If there are actually people who prefer Q4 the most lol) art style wise, but then is it Quake? 🤔 Quite difficult...

Kuranghi

- Labyrinthine and imaginative level design with impossible architecture.

- Atmospheric Music. Not like the painful noises of Mike Gordon.

- A smooth 3D engine without jank and microstutters.

- No story, no cutscenes.

If it didn't have at least as good frame-pacing as current id Tech Engine games it would be an afront to gaming mate, I might be physically ill over that.

MiguelItUp

I've decided this thread shows thats it going to be ultra hard to make anyone happy so prob just don't do it, or it has to be something totally different from Q1, Q2 or Q4 (If there are actually people who prefer Q4 the most lol) art style wise, but then is it Quake? 🤔 Quite difficult...
Yeah, the Quake community is most certainly a divisive one. As someone that grew up loving everything id put out, I'm just so happy to see the things I love getting attention again. A lot of people don't like change, we all know that, and the reception of the latest DOOM iterations are proof of that.

I personally feel like both were handled EXTREMELY well as it was bringing the DOOM series to a current market in hopes of it being successful, and they did just that IMO. Sure, there are things I loved about the originals that I feel were absent in the new games, but I still loved them.

There are people out there that HATE Quake 2 with a passion, which is a shame because I love it so much. But I can understand it considering the visuals and look from 1 -> 2 were SO vastly different. It looked and felt like a completely different game. Which wasn't surprising considering Quake 2 was originally planned to be a completely different game/IP.

I just want more Quake and Arena Shooters. Plenty of people are out there saying, "NO ONLY BRS EQUAL SUCCESS", but that's just not true. It just depends on how everything is handled.

Kuranghi

Dark, Gothic, Lovecraft themed, Dark Souls but in FPS format.

Less enemies than Doom but more memorable and difficult with a similar Death system to Dark Souls.

I mean, I'm all for taking new paths, but how can an FPS be "dark souls" like in moment to moment gameplay? What people like about DS (to me) is combat positioning, learning attack patterns and not being greedy. I think all three of these are exemplified in nu-Doom, even moreso Doom Eternal.

How would you factor that 3rd person hand-to-hand combat gameplay into an FPS with guns?

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "Dark Souls but in FPS format".

theHFIC

I am only playing a Quake 1 remaster if there is no clumsy built-in server browser and I can use GameRanger, QuakeFinder, and GameSpy again.

Also they will have to make the water and lava transparent like the original vis mod

Also on day 1 there will need to be Killer Quake, the grappling hook mod, and Threewave CTF

Also it will need a Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross soundtrack.

I think I'll just play Quake 1 / QuakeWorld instead.

Fuz

Banned
Q1: Just updated graphics. Keep the same palette, though. Oh, and the classic nailgun.

Q2: Double jump, Circle bunny, Q2DM1, Q2 version of the railgun.

Those are mandatory or I won't be interested at all.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Use a source port. There are tons of those, some of which add fancy graphics and such, but the best "vanilla Quake" experience is using vkQuake which ports the Quake Engine to Vulkan. If your GPU doesn't support Vulkan QuakeSpasm-Spiked is a good alternative.

This guide has some additional information on how the get the expansions and music working and such.

Make sure you check out some of the excellent custom campaigns like Epochs of Enmity, The Machine Games developed Episode 5 and Arcane Dimensions. Some of them are better than the vanilla game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

=Dumbing it down for children.
To each their own.

Apparently people see color and it equates something for children. Same goes for the demon design and art. I just see something that leaned very hard into the 90's aesthetic. I mean, it all looks very Evil Dead-like to me.

The game is still fast, tough, and intense IMO. They've done a great job of reigniting that signature DOOM panic from the days of yore. Hell, there are people that alone can't seem to grasp the gameplay loop on any difficulty. Let alone anything on or near Nightmare.

Last edited:
When I think about Quake, I think of atmosphere, intricate level design full of secrets. Maybe make it so there are alternate exits so there are multiple routes leading to different levels of the castle. Metroidvania Quake anyone? Also might want to use some of the og ideas planned for Quake before it became what it was today. I feel like all my ideas could be made into mods for the og Quake however. Not sure how a remake of Q1 could be meaningfully distinct from the original.

Fuz

Banned
Apparently people see color and it equates something for children. Same goes for the demon design and art. I just see something that leaned very hard into the 90's aesthetic. I mean, it all looks very Evil Dead-like to me.
doom-eternal-marauder-uhdpaper.com-4K-19.jpg

Shitty plastic toy for children that doesn't belong in a real DooM setting.

The game is still fast
Except the million times or so that interrupts and take the control out of you with obnoxiuous fatality animations.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

doom-eternal-marauder-uhdpaper.com-4K-19.jpg

Shitty plastic toy for children that doesn't belong in a real DooM setting.

Except the million times or so that interrupts and take the control out of you with obnoxiuous fatality animations.
Really? Of ALL the designs you chose him? I honestly thought he was one of the better and less "cartoon-y" looking ones. But really looking at the original demon's pixels and then trying to think of them in a 3D setting, but still looking the same/accurate... They're going to look cartoon-y. With exception of some, of course. Sure, they COULD'VE redesigned them to look darker and mature, which I would've been very happy with. But the end result created something that made a lot of the enemies look more like their old counterparts than they did in 3, for example. Well, IMO.

But I think the Tyrant is a great example of it. The new Cyberdemon I will admit I wasn't a fan of at all, to me it resembled Blizzard art.

Ah, you're one of THOSE people. I totally get it, It's not for everyone, and that's all there is to it. At first I didn't like it in 2016, but then it honestly didn't bother me. Especially since I appreciated how it created a different style of panic moments in times of chaotic battle and gunplay.

Top Bottom