• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will the next Xbox Series X be named?

What will the next more powerful Xbox Series X console be named?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Remember this?

mPXg7ZmuPFn8gLqPgPp2tj-1024-80.jpg

that's def a fan photoshop. funny tho

odhiex

XBOX XI (XBOX 11).

edit: yeah, I kinda wish that Microsoft drop the series name and make it more simple e.g XBOX (2024 edition), XBOX Slim (2025), XBOX Elite (2025).

Last edited:
Xbox Series E.

Despite possible controversy, E tends consumer friendly overtones like economic or eco-friendly. It also is a good letter stand in for Elite.

TBiddy

kyliethicc

TBiddy

So you think "Xbox games" and "Xbox games" are somehow different lol?

You can't be serious with this retarded shit. Its Xbox Series. Aka Xbox 4.

Who to believe - a person that argues like that, or an official statement from Microsoft? Gee, that's a tough call.

"The name we’re carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox,” the Microsoft representative said. “And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X.”"

kyliethicc

Who to believe - a person that argues like that, or an official statement from Microsoft? Gee, that's a tough call.

"The name we’re carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox,” the Microsoft representative said. “And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X.”"
I'm not disputing they say that.

It just makes no fucking sense for obvious reasons.

ZehDon

At this point, it'll be the most confusing and convoluted naming convention available. So, probably "New Xbox Series". Except that they'll have a mid-gen revision with an pre-fix to help differentiate. So:

"New Xbox Series S" will the little console.
"New Xbox Series X" will the larger console.
"New Xbox Series XS" will be the pro version of the little console.
"New Xbox Series XX" will be the pro version of the larger console.

Just to keep the confusing nomenclature, it'll be called Xbox Series SX and Xbox Series SS.
Is Xbox Series confusing? Wow.. I don't know what you think of other brands then like Apple and Samsung...

The naming is simple, everyone calls it by Series X and Series S.

Microsoft next Xbox will be called Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S with the word below "Second Generation"

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Probably just "Xbox" as an all-encompassing service like "Netflix" without any suffixes. Perhaps there will be standard membership and ultimate membership but as for the "device" I would imagine it'll be in the cloud. This is assuming we're talking like 6 or 7 years in the future. A lot can change in 6-7 years (ie massive rollout of 5G).

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Dunno why people think this is such an issue. If you are expecting regular people (outside this forum) to figure out the min reqs on an M2, or to decipher the upgrade paths and savefile migrations for various games then the name of a console is hardly difficult. These were people who could figure out the differences between GX, GLX cars back in the day, or know the difference between S-Line, Sport or standard now. Also, the price will give you a hint and the marketing. Could they simplify it? Sure. But so could a lot of things be.

If I had to guess though, I'd say their strategy seems to be the second part of the name (after moving away from the disastrous XBone)

Xbox One (S/X)
Xbox Series (S/X)

So, I'd guess they just replace the word for the generation and the letter for the version.

Xbox Elite (S/X)
Xbox Infinity (S/X)
Xbox Halo (S/X)

kyliethicc

People seem to accept it pretty well when it comes to the iPads and their naming convention.

PS. Skip the petty personal insults.
"The Xbox Series X can play all Xbox games and it can also play some Xbox games, but it can't play all Xbox games, only some Xbox games. No not those Xbox games, the other ones."

lol

PS. Skip the pathetic victim complex. I never insulted you.

kyliethicc

Dunno why people think this is such an issue. If you are expecting regular people (outside this forum) to figure out the min reqs on an M2, or to decipher the upgrade paths and savefile migrations for various games then the name of a console is hardly difficult. These were people who could figure out the differences between GX, GLX cars back in the day, or know the difference between S-Line, Sport or standard now. Also, the price will give you a hint and the marketing. Could they simplify it? Sure. But so could a lot of things be.

If I had to guess though, I'd say their strategy seems to be the second part of the name (after moving away from the disastrous XBone)

Xbox One (S/X)
Xbox Series (S/X)

So, I'd guess they just replace the word for the generation and the letter for the version.

Xbox Elite (S/X)
Xbox Infinity (S/X)
Xbox Halo (S/X)
You miss the point.

Xbox One and Xbox One X are same generation.
X indicated more powerful mid-gen version of Xbox One.

Ok now the Xbox Series X is the start of a new gen.
So what do they call the mid-gen refresh console this time?
Xbox Series X ..X ? That's the question.

TBiddy

"The Xbox Series X can play all Xbox games and it can also play some Xbox games, but it can't play all Xbox games, only some Xbox games. No not those Xbox games, the other ones."

lol

PS. Skip the pathetic victim complex. I never insulted you.

Again, I'm sorry you have a hard time understanding that concept. It's not that complicated. Even iPad buyers manage just fine.

And yes you did. Also, you're clearly upset that you're wrong, for some reason.

cormack12

Gold Member
You miss the point.

Xbox One and Xbox One X are same generation.
X indicated more powerful mid-gen version of Xbox One.

Ok now the Xbox Series X is the start of a new gen.
So what do they call the mid-gen refresh console this time?
Xbox Series X ..X ? That's the question.

Of course because the second word denotes the generation, so you can see they are from the same family. I think that was just an alignment to the new naming convention because of the whole XBOne miststep and they got salty at the memes. They launched the XBone, then they ?stopped production? and had two revisions at different dates.

Xbox One (2013)
Xbox One S (2016)
Xbox One X (2017)

Currently they have

Xbox Series S (2020)
Xbox Series X (2020)

You seem to be under the illusion creating something like an Xbox Series E(lite) down the road will be difficult. I'm not sure why. If people know the difference between an S and an X, or PS5 DE, PS5 and PS5 Pro how is it difficult to get a handle on Xbox Series E is the new more powerful model. How do you know X is more powerful than S at the moment?

i don't care as long as it doesn't have an E in it. then the immature idiots won't have an oppourtunity to be like "hUr HuR lel it's a SEXBOX lolelul"

They should just name it the Xbox Series X (2024) or Series X-2. a more powerful version could be the Series Z.

Last edited:
The naming of the new generation of Xbox consoles is "Xbox Series". But what will the mid-gen refreshes be named? I gotta admit I am very curious what the fuck they're gonna do for names going forward. (We already know Sony will do PS5 slim/Pro.) They went from Xbox One to Xbox One X/S. Now they have Xbox Series X/S. What name will Xbox use next for their equivalent of a PS5 Pro? Its also unclear if they would make a more powerful Series S, or just do a Series S slim model, or just leave that one as is. I wonder how many SKUs they will want to create for developers to have to support? Will they stop at 3 for the gen? Or would they go to 4 by creating a more powerful version of the Series S as well? Will they stick with X/S or use new letters too? Lotta questions.

An "Xbox Series X Elite" could make sense for a more powerful new console.

They use the Elite name for the Xbox Elite controller currently! and there was an Xbox 360 Elite in the past as well.

My bet is:
$500/600 - Xbox Series X Elite
$400/500 - Xbox Series X (slim or maybe digital only)
$250/300 - Xbox Series S

Here are some ideas for the mid gen refresh naming scheme and thus the entire generation lineup:

- Xbox Series X Elite, Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series X/S (2nd gen), Xbox Series X/S (1st gen)
- Xbox Series X/S (2023/24 edition), Xbox Series X/S (2020 edition)
- Xbox Series 2 X/S, Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series II X/S, Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series X/S 2, Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series X Pro, Xbox Series S slim, Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series Y/V, Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series XX/SS, Xbox Series X/S

Lots of weird possibilities for naming this gen of xbox lol.
Xbox Series XXX and Xbox Series SSS

Last edited:

Jack Uzi

Banned
Xbox Series Xistential
Xbox Series XXX Tentacion
Xbox Series Xzibit where they just put an Xbox Series X inside the Xbox Series Xzibit.

kyliethicc

Xbox One (S/X)
Xbox Series (S/X)

Xbox Elite (S/X)
Xbox Infinity (S/X)
Xbox Halo (S/X)

Of course because the second word denotes the generation, so you can see they are from the same family. I think that was just an alignment to the new naming convention because of the whole XBOne miststep and they got salty at the memes. They launched the XBone, then they ?stopped production? and had two revisions at different dates.

Xbox One (2013)
Xbox One S (2016)
Xbox One X (2017)

Currently they have

Xbox Series S (2020)
Xbox Series X (2020)

You seem to be under the illusion creating something like an Xbox Series E(lite) down the road will be difficult. I'm not sure why. If people know the difference between an S and an X, or PS5 DE, PS5 and PS5 Pro how is it difficult to get a handle on Xbox Series E is the new more powerful model. How do you know X is more powerful than S at the moment?

You literally said it would be "Xbox Elite X" but now you're saying its "Xbox Series E" ... so then what lol? Xbox Elite E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom