• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will sell more, Dead Island 2 or Redfall?

which game will sell more copies?

• Redfall

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Dead Island 2

Votes: 88 77.9%

• Total voters
This one is interesting because they’re both coming out a couple days away from each other and have a somewhat similar premise. One is walking around an island (LA is an island) and the other takes place in Massachusetts island town. They both are FPS games about killing the undead, one is zombies one is vampires.

Arguments for Dead Island 2

• Dead Island sold well over 5 million copies
  • Dead Island is multiplatform (PS5, PC, XBOX)
  • Some good hype after the hiatus, next gen only
Arguments for Redfall

• First major Xbox exclusive from Bethesda
  • A lot of marketing behind it due to Microsoft
  • Some good hype from Arkane cult fanbase

The major knock to Arkane games is they don’t usually sell that well. The major knock to Dead Island 2 is that it’s been too long, a lot of the fanbase has moved on. What do you think will be victorious that week?

Last edited:

Jaybe

At lease give us a poll?!

babe dancing GIF

Arcane games normally dont sell alot as well.
Furthermore, Redfall is available on gamepass, the sales will definitely be lower.
How well did Deathloop do? I’m guessing better than their last few games and Redfall being approachable should help. Don’t expect either to be massive sellers.

Fahdis

Redfall looks generic to me. 4 Player Co-op edgy action FPS for Zoomers. And the other is an established IP for boomers who get a hard-on while killing mummified NPC's who are just standing around minding their own business. I'll be playing both later anyways.

Jaybe

Merci.

Redfall. They will both sell poorly… but Redfall will sell better. The Dead Island 2 dev’s last legit game was Homefront. So I think it will be pretty bad whereas Redfall will review anywhere from very good to Great given Arkane’s caliber. That will translate to better sales. Plus Redfall’s coop nature will help relative to other Arkane games.

tmlDan

Redfall won't sell well, people will play it on GP and when they're bored they will drop it.

I have higher hopes for Dead Island based on the last showing they had.

Last edited:

Holammer

I think both will belly flop and disappoint sales wise.
I'm going to laugh like a hyena if Dead Island 2 is a broken mess. With three developers over ten years? More likely than you might think.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Dead Island 2 will sell more copies, but Redfall will be a bigger success due to Game Pass.

Redfall will also be a better game.

Hugare

Redfall will be on Game Pass

So tracking sales is useless. Literaly, 'cause Microsoft never show sales numbers.

I predict that it will come and go real fast. People will try it out, get bored after some days and drop it.

Dead Island, the original, sold 5 million copies until 2013. Now it probably has surpassed 7.5M.

Its not a new IP anymore, has a big fanbase already, and its a zombie game. Zombies sell.

And it actualy looks decent. I have hope that it will be a great game.

Last edited:
Dead island 2....by a mile, as long as it does thr game in borderlands/dead island 1 style of looter crafter with single player game that scales to coop for a small team if you want (not required). It it's multiplayer always online single player after thought then no, and that would suck.

Arkane has gone woke since they let Anita Sarkisian dictate to Harvey Smith how things have to be. They did consultation around dishonored 2 time and went woke. Prey had that but it was a good enough game otherwise it didn't matter, but you can still see those elements. Also they are a gaas game multiplayer focused floaty cartoony game that I really couldn't tell what game play was like from the trailer. It looks cringy like Santa row and isn't immergent game play focused like past works.

Dead island if it sticks to single player with optional co-op and to its loot craft roots. Let's hope that's thr case. Too many though try to follow fortnite and destiny. We will see.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

LOL what a poll.

- Dead Isiand 2 releasing on last gen, current gen consoles and PC (5 platforms).
- Redfall releasing on current gen/PC only and on gamepass.

sales are no longer the stand alone gage for success.

Last edited:

drganon

Dead Island. It'll be on more platforms and isn't going to a subscription service day one. That and arkane games never seem to sell that well anyway.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Dead Island. Arkane’s games never sell very well. I wouldn’t have voted for Redfall even if it wasn’t a GamePass day one game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I am never going to bet on an Arkane game selling well, least of all this one which hasn't had clear marketing at all.

That said, Redfall will be the better game. Super hyped.

EDMIX

I was hype for Redfall when I thought it was just going to be a single player game, the moment they started talking about online, co-op etc annnnnnnnd pass.

Dead Island 2 is an easy fucking day 1 considering the latest trailers. I hope Redfall does well for those type for it, I'm just not into MP titles that much theses days outside of the BF series, Dead Island 2 is a grounded thing where I have a solid realistic expectation of what they are trying to do as a single player game.

Large open world in LA, interior and exterior, semi RPG, dismemberment, loads of different weapons, zombies? Thats a very easy day 1 for me.

MOTM

Banned
Imagine asking the following question last January:

Which game will sell better?
- Elden Ring (5 platforms) or Horizon? (keep in mind HFW isn’t on a subscription platform)

Retarded question.

That said Dead Island 2 will most likely flop at retail while MS will be happy with Redfalls’s player count.

Last edited:
Being an Arkane fan, I will give it to Dead Island 2.

I know Arkane makes best stuff out there but not everyone gets it. They are not heavily marketable titles, even if this one has 4 player coop. It so far looks similar to what they have done in the past.

BabyYoda

Banned
DI2 because it's multi-platform and not on Gamepass. Looking forward to Redfall more myself though. Saying that, DI2 looks promising.

Top Bottom