• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were the 5 best games for the PlayStation 3 ?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
There's a lot of games on PS3 that are absolute classics. I'm sure I could easily make a top 50 list.

But I feel like the PS3 was greatly over-shadowed in the seventh generation by the vastly superior Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

Anyway, I'm not including PS2 remakes, because otherwise most of them would just be PS2 games lol. These are also in no particular order.

1. BlazBlue Calamity Trigger - To this day, this is still my favorite fighting game (with 3rd Strike a close 2nd). It has every tool needed so that I never feel like I was screwed over by dumb mechanics (which happens in SFIV all the time, and is basically all that MvC3 is). Anyway, the first game is still my favorite in the series. I like the rest of the games too, but it's never felt quite the same.

2. Saints Row The Third - I thought I hated open world games until I played this. I fell in love with it instantly too. It somewhat saddens me that Volition will likely never make another game like it.

3. Tales of Graces f - When I first played the demo for this game, I absolutely hated it. I thought the controls were garbage. But then I picked up during a sale, because I thought it was kind of criminal that it was the only game in the main Tales series I hadn't played. And I'm glad I did. It's amazing. I don't understand how they could go from this, to the heaping pile of garbage that was Xillia.

4. Metal Gear Solid 4 - I've never been a huge MGS fan. I played the first one and liked it, but could never get into 2 or 3. But when I bought my PS3, my boss (at the time) talked me into getting it, and I'm glad he did. I did everything there is to do in this game, and then I played through it again for fun. You can imagine my rage when I found out that old saves were incompatible with the trophies. I haven't felt like doing it all again, but I still consider it one of the best games this generation.

5. Mass Effect 3 - A lot of people give me shit for not saying ME2 is my favorite, but I've always put gameplay above story, and ME3 has the best gameplay in the series, by far. I also loved the hell out of the multiplayer. Even before the game was released, I played the MP demo for days straight until it was taken down. I even go back to it occasionally, even though I've gotten the plat.

Tschumi

my opinion... and I'm happy with this post (after a few edits and additions)

1) Persona 5
P5R is the one that NeoGAF really seemed to notice, but P5 was already an awesome game - with a better intro song too... And it was all there on PS3 looking basically the same as the PS4 releases... Not quite as good as P4G but still great.

2) Uncharted 2
I actually made a thread here about not liking the Uncharted gameplay, but one day I came to it in the right mindset and I fell in love with the characters and story - even if the gameplay is still a bit stale to me.

3) MGS IV
This would be higher up my list if not for MGS 5, which improved on the gameplay of this title so comprehensively that I just can't enjoy it anymore. Fantastic game in its day.

4) Red Dead Redemption
I didn't even play this game for the story, I just loved that open world. It felt like a truly futuristic game, like expanded.. no, nuked horizons.

5) GT 6
I know this is a weird one because it released for PS3 after PS4 came out, but I really loved it. Excellent graphics, great cars, great racing physics, I've pre-ordered GT7 102 days early because of GT6.

Honourable Mentions:
- TES 4: Oblivion: It was the next gen game for me when it came out - amazing draw distance, colours, grass, materials, even the characters looked pretty good to me (except orcs, they never look good in TES) Epic story. I remember the single bit of media that got me jazzed most for the next gen was a gameplay video of a dude walking past an Inn in Oblivion.
- Mass Effect 2: Yeah gotta pay this, it's a fantastic narrative experience and game.
- Killzone 2: Technical tour de force.
- Deus Ex: HR: Actually never played this for more than a few minutes on PS3, but it's my #2 game OAT so I gotta give it props.
- Dishonored: Same as DEHR, played this on PC but it's just so damn good.
- AC 4: Black Flag: Again, you gotta pay respects to this hugely succesful title, apparently the last AC title everyone can agree was great.
- Heavy Rain: The first game I ever played that was a "keep your girlfriend interested in a game" standard game. I always seem to pick girls who disdane games lol but this got through to an ex, and Persona gets through to my wife.
- Dragon Age: Origins... This game is just an example of how the PS3 wasn't as shit as everyone thought, there were huge experiences of great quality right there for you to enjoy.
- TLOU - I didn't mention this because I didn't play it, it came out late and it was too far back in my list of titles to click off. But you gotta pay respects.

German Hops German Hops gg choosing tales of graces f, I couldn't for the life of me get into it, but it might have been because i was forcing myself to try and like FF XIII, XIII-2 and Lightening Returns at the same time and failing miserably...

Last edited:
i almost felt like i should just list exclusives, because even tho i had both consoles.....i mostly bought multiplats for PS3. And only 2 gens later am i realizing that pretty much all those third party games i liked on PS3 were not just better on Xbox. But if i had bought them on Xbox i could play them as backwards compatible now instead of having to still own a PS3 lol

iu

killatopak

Gold Member
Looking at the replies, it seems you can’t really say what 5 of the best games are and that’s fine. We all have different tastes. It’s just nice that there’s variety in what we all like. It means there’s plenty of good stuff on the platform.

Cornbread78

I can't properly rank these properly past #3, so here are my difinitove games from the PS3

1) The Last Of Us
2) Killzone 2
3) Resistance Fall of Man

#4-5:
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Mass Effect 2
4) White Knight Chronicles
Tales of Graces f
Uncharted 2
5) Final Fantasy XIII
CoD MW2
Ni No Kuni
Burnout Paradise
inFamous
Final Fantasy XIII-2

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only played some PS3 at my bro an cousin's place. Games were decent. Call me crazy but my fav game I played out off of them was Dead Nation.

Banned
How u dont have The Last of Us is beyond me

cuz it sucks!
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

@topic:

-MGS4
-MotorStorm Pacific Rift
-Resistance
-Ratchet & Clank Future
-inFamous

I only list exclusives because why the hell would I play anything else on a PS3 lol... it's bad enough that all of the ones listed above are still stuck on that POS of a system

Last edited:
cuz it sucks!
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

@topic:

-MGS4
-MotorStorm Pacific Rift
-Resistance
-Ratchet & Clank Future
-inFamous

I only list exclusives because why the hell would I play anything else on a PS3 lol... it's bad enough that all of the ones listed above are still stuck on that POS of a system
CAP. TLOU 1 was mindblowing on PS3

Banned
CAP. TLOU 1 was mindblowing on PS3

yeah a 20-30fps refresh rate that never was even remotely was stable is mindblowing! also that awful TAA! amazing!

my mind is so blown

I can't believe I'm going to say something positive about Halo 4, but Halo 4 looked better and ran way better than this.
now excuse me while I wash out my mouth with soap after saying this... fuck Halo 4 btw.

Last edited:

Kdad

yeah a 20-30fps refresh rate that never was even remotely was stable is mindblowing! also that awful TAA! amazing!

my mind is so blown

I can't believe I'm going to say something positive about Halo 4, but Halo 4 looked better and ran way better than this.
now excuse me while I wash out my mouth with soap after saying this... fuck Halo 4 btw.

I'm neither a graphics or fps whore...TLoU was an amazing experience imo. To each there own.

my only issue with TLOU (besides what to me was a syfy channel storyline)...was the gameplay tho

xbox's State of Decay was a mess at launch. Didn't have much of a coherent story. And was clearly on a budget. And i had way more fun playing that than Last of us. And im pretty certain they released the same time

my mind is so blown

What on earth does this have to do with Halo 4? Irrelevant.
The Last of Us was just great. Graphics to gameplay to story to online. Big departure from the campy nature of the Uncharted series, was a welcome surprise on all fronts.

Wasn’t a FPS or graphics snob in high school so nothing of what you posted effected me

gioGAF

Demon's Souls
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
inFamous
BioShock

These are my top 5. I purposely excluded some games because they are in the same franchise (Dark Souls, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare), choosing only the game I preferred.

I also gave priority to system exclusives when possible, because those are truly "for the PlayStation 3".

Last edited:

Altares13th

Best 5 PS3 exclusives to me:
  • Tlou
  • Gow Ascention
  • Uncharted 1
  • Folklore
  • Demon souls (because of its exclusivity, otherwise DarkS1 is better)
Honnorable mentions:
  • Ni no Kuni
  • KZ2
  • U2 and 3
  • GoW 3
  • MGS 4
  • Motorstorm and Pacific Rift (definitely not the 3rd one)
  • LBP
  • WipeOut

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
1. Afrika
2. Aquanaut's Holiday
3. Folklore
4. White Knight Chronicles
5. Lair

It's not about sales or critic accolades. It's about *panache* and swagger.
gotta agree with that top pick, so unusual, always wanted to play aquanaut's but you know. Gotta agree with folklore as well. Anyway probably would add Tokyo jungle and yakuza dead souls, I don't care about sales or scores either give me something that is unusual and unique to the system man I wish copies of afrika didn't run a few hundred these days (or that I let my brother vanish my copy)

MrA

Banned
I started typing and realized almost all my favorites were multiplatform.
doesn't stop them from being the best 5 for you
frankly how many Europeans would have their favorite 5 ps3 games be fifa 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 etc or Americans have madden 07-15 or 5 call of duties
multiplat doesn't mean bad
dead space, dmc 4, pinball arcade, earth defense force 4 and fallout new vegas is a pretty awesome list of games and would definitely be a good top 5 despite being all multiplats... well maybe not the ps3 new vegas but I think you get my point.

im kinda lazy to do a top 5 but from software's kuon is sure up there

edit: sry I read ps2 lol. so I have to go with demon souls

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

my mind is so blown

Sorry not agreeing..
IMO TLOU ran circles around Halo 4 and looked better.

Topher

Gold Member

my mind is so blown

It was still fun as hell to play

Top Bottom