• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game released that year? 2000 edition (56k)

spekkeh

Banned
It's probably between Perfect Dark, Majoras Mask and Baldurs Gate 2. But truth be told, none of them did much for me, as this year I took a breather from most games. In 2000 I graduated high school and went to university. I went on holiday four separate times during the summer break. As the old turned into the new I was too busy with life. If I played any games for an extensive time period, it was mostly still Unreal Tournament, Goldeneye and WCWvsNWO with my mates from high school.

1morerobot

1)Shenmue
2)Perfect Dark
3)Jet Grind Radio

I still haven't played Majora's Mask or RE:CV or those would probably be top 5 I'm sure.

What an interesting year that was. N64, PS1, DC and PS2.

takoyaki

1) Shenmue

runners-up) Jet Set Radio & SSX & THPS2

other great games) Majora's Mask, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Tekken Tag Tournament, (edit: forgot Perfect Dark, especially multiplayer)

2000 was a really good year for all kinds of genres

TFGB

Without a doubt....

Vagrantstorybox.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
Pokemon Gold and Silver. Was the best in the series for a long time.

What an amazing year, one of the all-time greats. One of the best (if not the best) for both N64 and PS1, plus a very large portion of the DreamCast's entire lifespan took place this year.

ironmang

Diablo II

D2 to D3 is probably the biggest gaming disappointment in my life. Even with the updates, D2 is just a much superior game.

Rad-

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Not only the best game this year but it's the best game ever made.

Overall I have to say 2000 might be the best year in gaming ever. So many amazing titles listed there. Suikoden 2 was also released in EU in 2000.

JimiNutz

Banned
1. Shenmue
2. Quake 3: Arena (DC)
3. Perfect Dark
4. Crazi Taxi
5. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
6. Tekken Tag Tournament
7. Timesplitters
8. Jet Set Radio
9. Virtua Tennis
10. Syphon Filter 2

Looking at the list I'm amazed these all came out in 2000. DC was an absolute beast of a console that year.

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy IX
Diablo II

Many others as well but these three remain among my fav games of all time. Damn, 2000 really was stacked.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Holy shit, what a year!! Valkyrie Profile, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue stand out as being some of the greatest-ever but there were so many fantastic games this year. May very well be one of the best years in gaming.

Neptonic

Deus Ex

That game is incredible with all the options it gives you it complete objectives, along with a story they is still relevant today. And that soundtrack is tight.

A distant 2nd is Majora's Mask

Perfect Dark. If you'd ask me to narrow it down to one game all-time, not just '00, it would still be PD. A gem, and I am all warm and fuzzy seeing it represented a few times in this thread.

But damn a lot of good stuff released that year. Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue (in the US), FF9, Grandia 2. Even WWF No Mercy. A great time to be a gamer.

Perfect Dark. If you'd ask me to narrow it down to one game all-time, not just '00, it would still be PD. A gem, and I am all warm and fuzzy seeing it represented a few times in this thread.

But damn a lot of good stuff released that year. Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue (in the US), FF9, Grandia 2. Even WWF No Mercy. A great time to be a gamer.

Psh, even WWF No Mercy. Let's face it: that game ruled. The branching paths of the store mode were fantastic.

Crazy Taxi. I was only playing games on the Dreamcast at this time and didn't have a great deal of time for games but this one stands out. I could play it for 10 minutes when I only had a bit of time or hours on end when I had more. One of my most memorable gaming experiences and it stands out as a nice and cheerful incredibly fun game.

jluedtke

Man, what a great year. The Dreamcast went out with a bang!

Shenmue, for sure. With Chu Chu Rocket and Majora's Mask right after.

IC5

It's tough for me to pick a winner, here. And I liked a lot of the low key stuff.

I really want to give it to Mega Man Legends 2. But, I liked Front Mission 3 a heck of a lot...

....and then there was Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, on Game Boy Color. Just called Metal Gear Solid, for the U.S. Release. It is a completely original game. It's also a fantastic game. In my top 3 MGS games.

I'm giving it to FM3. What a weird, flawed, yet great game.

It relies almost completely on character portrait dialog, to deliver the story and setup scenarios which lead to combat. It does a great job of handling many characters, carrying a militaristic and dry sort of feel. Lots of little sub plots, too. And the game has two major branching points, which lead to different story threads, characters, and gear. It also has an in-game internet where you can research info, hack plans, order special robot parts, etc.

The graphics epitomize PS1 janky limitations. But it lends the game a rough quirkyness which fits into the mecha military setting. The mechs look good and blow up in very satisfying ways.

It's probably not the most polished or complex tactical RPG. But its at least as good as something like Valkyria Chronicles.

Jeiiya

Damn, tons of good games (like always!), but I really felt like the early 2000s was when I started really noticing graphics in addition to gameplay and story.

Here's a short list off the top of my head: FFIX, Pokemon Gold/Silver, Street Fighter 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, Jet Set Radio, Baldur's Gate 2, Crazy Taxi, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Ogre Battle 64, Shemue, Threads of Fate, and Majora's Mask.

My heart tells me Final Fantasy IX, but my soul reminds me about my favorite generation of Pokemon, Gold/Silver. I think it's really too hard to call out one this time.

PantsuJo

Oh man, what a great year.

I'd say Dead or Alive 2 DC because it was an incredible tech show at time but I can't lie to my heart...

Vagrant Story is my GOTY and forever it will be.

MisterP

Banned
Stopped when I got to Crazy Taxi. Quite simply its either my favorite or second favorite game of all time (competing with Doom).

The hours, days, weeks, months and years I put into it was obscene. I knew both the cities like the back of my hands, I knew where every fare was, I just adored it. I was the most Sega game ever. Blue skies, break neck speeds and just fun, fun, fun. That is was a DC title, the greatest console ever made it all the better.

I seem to recall the soundtrack being just a little bit epic too :D

I doubt if I'll ever have as much a blast with any game again.

Edit: just looking at that list in full now, that Dreamcast lineup is simply insane. How the F*** did it fail?!?!?!

Top Bottom