• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What used to take 3 years with 20 people, will soon take 6 months with 4

Bragr

Banned
In the near future, tools are gonna be so easy to use that virtually everyone with an interest in games can make a game. The result will be a flooded market of indie games, instead of 30 games a week, you will get 800.

Every marketplace will need to curate differently as the game flood ensues, and big triple-A companies will need to pursue value in ways that smaller companies can't afford. This will come in the form of fame and brands, hype, and celebrity. Think teenage-oriented all-encompassing brands. The message and marketing will become more important than the product.

The marketing will be so extreme and targeted that people will pursue the products even if they think it's mediocre. Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Tom Cruise, Marvel, Pokemon, McDonald's. Stuff like that. And you might think, "Whatever drama-queen, I will still play what I enjoy."

Wrong.

Did you know that 80% of the best music is almost never heard? all the best-reviewed music barely sees the light of day because it doesn't sell. It never charts. People don't give a shit about rock anymore, you only hear pop, rap, and dance music. And the reason for that has nothing to do with quality, or that there are no good rock bands, it's because the big companies focus on stuff that sells to teenagers and heavy social media users. It needs to trend. What happens, is that a lot of the best music gets buried so far down, that you don't find it unless you go digging. And people don't dig unless they have to, instead, they take what's given to them. If you wanna come across the next Nirvana, you have to dig, cause no one is gonna market it. The future of games is that studios will lean towards one or two big teenage-oriented franchises that they put all their marketing and development budgets into. People will grow up with this, and won't even know or care what indie games are. Indie games will become what art movies are to the movie industry, vague, weird, mostly ignored niche products.

That's all the stupid bullshit I got to say right now.

bender

What time is it?
6Lqi.gif

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
We have already entered that territory when the App Store was introduced 13 years ago.

I believe there will always be a few select games that stand out from the rest, without having to resort to licensing.

But in a broader sense, it's inevitable. I mean really, what do you suppose we do?

Last edited:

Banned
Wrong.

Did you know that 80% of the best music is almost never heard? all the best-reviewed music barely sees the light of day because it doesn't sell. It never charts. People don't give a shit about rock anymore, you only hear pop, rap, and dance music.

ok, I don't know where you are from but here is an album that was #1 for several weeks in germany

R.5af3ab548ef8ae6b139601cd49e44809

the album before that hit the #2 chart position in germany but was #1 in other European countries (in Sweden of course they are placed higher than anywhere else...)

so saying that nothing but Pop and dance and stuff like that sells albums is not really true.
even more niche stuff like Wintersun's "The Forest Season" album was a top 20 album in germany and #1 in Finnland

R.9aa2064b0f30387065f5958a552f4eaf

so, they sell, and depending on where you live stuff like this is popular, it's very much a regional thing

every Nightwish album for the last 10-15 years gets into the top 10 in many European countries, often even placing #1 in many.
they have tons of Platinum and double Platinum albums in many countries, at least gold to triple gold in others.

so Heavy Metal, Symphonic Metal and Wintersun... which is symphonic death+folk metal... I guess... seem to have no issue selling decently in some regions.
globally there's a difference for sure, but that's true for games as well, some sell better in one region and worse in others

Sophist

Amount of games released on Steam according to steamspy:

Games this year: Self-explaining - number of games released this year. Please note that it also includes software, but doesn't include DLC. Only inculdes games with sales data available.

2020: 9739
2019: 7915
2018: 8165
2017: 6261

A total 32080 games for the four last years, an average of 600 per month or 21 per day.

bender

What time is it?
Amount of games released on Steam according to steamspy:

Games this year: Self-explaining - number of games released this year. Please note that it also includes software, but doesn't include DLC. Only inculdes games with sales data available.

2020: 9739
2019: 7915
2018: 8165
2017: 6261

A total 32080 games for the four last years, an average of 600 per month or 21 per day.

How many of those are from Digital Homicide?

Sophist

Also, this tale about releasing a game on steam when you are an unknown.

Top Bottom