• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of new hardware would you like to see from Valve?

What type of Hardware would you like to see from Valve?

• Another VR headset

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Another Steam Deck

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Another Steam Machine

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Another Steam Controller

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • other

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Another Steam Link

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
With Valve at this point pretty much establishing themselves as a hardware developer rather than a software one, (basically, a reverse SEGA) what types of new Hardware would you like to see from Valve?

For me: A Steam Deck 2 is already on the way according to Gabe Newell. Frankly, all i'd want from it is a smaller size, faster chip and better battery. The Deck already seems perfect in all aspects software wise (and if it's not they're working hard to get it to that level), so working on the physical stuff that needs to get ironed out is OK by me
I'd love a second steam controller that irons out all of the flaws of the original such as the shitty build quality, weird as hell DPAD, restoring the right thumbstick (as much as i hate it, it's still needed for a lot of games due to the lack of support for controller and mouse/gyro inputs at the same time) and overall weird look of the controller. The steam deck's controls are already a glimpse into what Valve can do these days being given the task of making a controller, if they made it in a more familiar and usual form factor i'd buy it day one and throw out my Xbox pad (as much as i love it)
Another one that they're apparently working on is a new VR headset. All i can say is:
Please be 300 dollars Please be 300 dollars Please be 300 dollars Please be 300 dollars Please be 300 dollars Please be 300 dollars Please be 300 dollars FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HAVE AN AFFORDABLE PRICE POINT I HATE FACEBOOK IM NOT BUYING THEIR SHITASS SPYWARE HEADSET NO MATTER HOW CHEAP AND EPIC AND HIGH QUALITY IT MAY BE PLEASE OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE I AM ON MY FUCKING KNEES.

That's all, tell me your thoughts below or respond in the poll.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
A consolized Steam deck if possible. Not portable. Just console. And a worldwide release of it.

If the Steam Deck 2 is coming, please be a worldwide release. I still can't get SD anywhere here.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A consolized Steam deck if possible. Not portable. Just console. And a worldwide release of it.
So, another steam machine then? the steam deck's basically just a more portable version of the steam machines
i think it could work seeing how valve is much more well equipped when it comes to making hardware than in 2014-15, but i'm not the target audience for that kind of stuff...

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
So, another steam machine then? the steam deck's basically just a more portable version of the steam machines
i think it could work seeing how valve is much more well equipped when it comes to making hardware than in 2014-15, but i'm not the target audience for that kind of stuff...
Yeah. Maybe they can sell it for a good price with better hardware since it's not portable. Just one console system. Like the Deck. Not like the mess they did many years ago with the many types of hardware made by multiple companies. It confused people.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
probably a valve by Valve.
Admire Well Done GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

A lot of their hardware has tried to push and expand new markets. They're shiny and exciting but don't really get much use in my day to day.

I'd like to see them stray from their pioneering mindset and make something more mundane I can use every day like a quality headset with the fantastic audio work they have with the Index.

I'm actually a huge Valve hardware fan, arguably more than their excellent games/software stuff! Still use my Steam controller to this day, excellent controller for the most part. I voted VR headset, hopefully wireless next time so I can ditch the Quest 2, another Steam Deck, hopefully smaller, better overall, and better price wise and availability wise, I'd want to get a Steam Machine as well for Linux use, and last but not least another Steam controller! Love the way Valve supports gyro in their controllers along with remapping stuff software wise, a stellar combo for playing games the way you want to! Valve is basically western Nintendo with their unique hardware approaches, gimme all your zany quirky gadgets Valve!

Realistically? A new steam controller. I actually liked the original quite a bit as somebody that has had his various PCs hooked up to TVs more then monitors.

Though I honestly wouldn't mind a new Steam Machine. I always found them really interesting and I think now more then ever a product like that could work. Even with my mITX build I wouldn't mind a sleeker machine for the tv.

Holammer

A new controller and a Valve developed 'Steam Machine' with a build to order SoC, or whatever they intend to call it. Probably going with Deck to push brand recognition.
That would push Linux for gaming even further, to the point where devs have to seriously consider doing native versions rather than relying on Proton.

A console you can do whatever you want with like the Deck would be a game changer, would really shake up the console space tbh. PC already does that, but this would bring the wrecking crew.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That would push Linux for gaming even further, to the point where devs have to seriously consider doing native versions rather than relying on Proton.
Proton performs better than native in a lot of cases so eh. Keep the windows versions running on proton. It saves developers the time and often works better

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Realistically? A new steam controller. I actually liked the original quite a bit as somebody that has had his various PCs hooked up to TVs more then monitors.
I honestly feel like the Steam Controller was an amazing concept that was executed poorly due to its circumstances and also because of the controller itself. Another one fitted more like a normal controller that still has the touchpads would be great.

Banned
a steam controller that has a Dpad and better left stick positioning.
...and a better gyro, apparently the gyro is way worse than in a DS4

Pantz

Gold Member
Non-VR motion controls.
Some of the experiences with them were pretty cool. It would be cool to have it as an option for different kinds of games on Steam. Probably not enough profit to do it though.

AndrewRyan

If the Steam Deck 2 is coming, please be a worldwide release. I still can't get SD anywhere here.
They could call it the Home Deck. Would also like two wireless headsets. One that's affordable to compete with Quest and the other a wireless Index.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

PhaseJump

Banned
A Steam Machine game console from Valve as an entry level PC gaming box.

A Steam Machine Controller (Steam controller 2) that is basically the Steam Deck without a screen.

Top Bottom