• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to expect from Sega/Atlus in 2021 (upcoming games, expectations and predictions)

Which upcoming Sega games are you most hyped for (choose up to 3)

• Sonic 30th anniversary game(s)

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • SMT5

Votes: 49 36.3%
  • Yakuza Remaster Collection and Yakuza 6 on PC/Xbox

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • SMT2 Remake

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Humankind

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Persona 5 Strikers

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • Panzer Dragoon Zwei Remake

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 37 27.4%
  • Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record (VR game)

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • HotD 1&2 Remakes

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • SoR4 DLC

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Warhammer 3

• Project Re Fantasy

Votes: 27 20.0%
  • Creative Assembly tactical FPS

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • New Yakuza game

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Virtua Fighter X esports

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Alex Kidd DX

• Total voters

Hudo

Crazy that Sega are my second favourite publisher right now. Can't wait for the Yakzua Collection and Yakuza 6 on PC. Can't wait for Total War: Warhammer III (hopefully). Can't wait for SMT3 and SMT5. (I don't think we'll get to play Re:Fantasy this year).
Also, I do hope that CA's tactical FPS does have a singleplayer, unlike some other famous tactical FPS from Ubisoft...

Last edited:

Kazza

Everybody here is drunk and don't worry you are one of the last Sega people here.

RIP @Starlight Lotice

According to his profile he visited GAF in December, so he is still lurking. I'm sure he'll start posting again once he's good and ready.

We've already got a little good crew together on the Sega Community Thread:

GAF is heating up, as is SegaGAF along with it đź’Ş

Last edited:

Kazza

Crazy that Sega are my second favourite publisher right now. Can't wait for the Yakzua Collection and Yakuza 6 on PC. Can't wait for Total War: Warhammer III (hopefully). Can't wait for SMT3 and SMT5. (I don't think we'll get to play Re:Fantasy this year).
Also, I do hope that CA's tactical FPS does have a singleplayer, unlike some other famous tactical FPS from Ubisoft...

I think they are looking like being one of the top publishers of 2021. Capcom are looking good, with RE8 and a new Monster Hunter on the way, Nintendo have BotW2 (and maybe some surprises), Sony have Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet and Clank etc.. While a lot depends on your taste in games, I think Sega is right up there.

mcjmetroid

Sega/Atlus?

Are they been bought by Microsoft this Wednesday?

Best wait till this Wednesday first before I make any bold predictions

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I think they are looking like being one of the top publishers of 2021.
They were in the top 3 publishers almost during the entire generation and they'll finish it with an impressive 80% average for published game in 2020.
(metacritic didn't publish the 2021/2020 results but you can see them in the first pages : almost all Sega games are like 80%)

They could possibly be at 79% because Metacritic did a mistake.

They add Panzer Dragoon remake (63%) in Sega's score. It wasn't published by Sega so as Streets of Rage 4.(except SOR4 was co developed by Sega RGG Studio)

A non Sega published Game was the only bad score for the company in 2020...

After two decades bleeding, it's so good to see Sega in a good shape presently, with big new IPs and tons of revivals coming soon.

Last edited:
HotD is a curious one. I can't imagine them releasing without some kind of lightgun, it just isn't the same otherwise. Hopefully, Sega/Forever Entertainment will licence that new Sinden gun (the one that works with modern TVs). That could open the door to releasing all the other HotD games too, as well as Virtua Cop, Jurassic Park etc.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I just looked it up and -- whoa! -- this opens the door for lots of light gun classics to be remade.

You're right, HotD has to have a light gun. I can't picture playing something like that with, say, dual analog sticks, wouldn't feel right.

Fat Frog

SMT5
New Yakuza
Project Re Fantasy

are my picks in the vote.

I would love for a new Valkyria Chronicles and more from Vanillaware after the successful launch of 13 Sentinels. Not expecting a game but at least maybe a reveal for the new VC or a DLC for 13S or something easily done like Muramasa on consoles so it won’t be stuck on the Vita and the Wii.
Only IPs from modern Sega ?
(was 2020 a turning point ? Modern Sega IPs are now dominating the poll)

What are you favorite old Sega IPs ?

killatopak

Gold Member
Only IPs from modern Sega ?
(was 2020 a turning point ? Modern Sega IPs are now dominating the poll)

What are you favorite old Sega IPs ?
Phantasy Star
Altered Beast
House of The Dead
Sakura Wars

It’s hard to have a classic Sega preference in my case since I only started gaming around the PSX/N64 era and Sega was on the decline.

Fat Frog

Phantasy Star
Altered Beast
House of The Dead
Sakura Wars

It’s hard to have a classic Sega preference in my case since I only started gaming around the PSX/N64 era and Sega was on the decline.
Interesting, and when did you find interest in Sega ? Which game ?

killatopak

Gold Member
I think it was Altered Beast for the PS2 and Phantasy Star Portable for the PSP. Since then I started playing the older entries and found them fun. I was playing House of the Dead on arcade since I was 5 and only when I grew a bit older did I learn it was from Sega. Classic cheesy fun.

Sakura wars was a more recent addition since I only ever encountered the ip on the Wii. I haven’t played the old games yet so I only have knowledge of the more recent releases.

Kazza

I didn't even know this was a thing. I just looked it up and -- whoa! -- this opens the door for lots of light gun classics to be remade.

You're right, HotD has to have a light gun. I can't picture playing something like that with, say, dual analog sticks, wouldn't feel right.

They really need to licence and produce a Sega version of this gun:

I've got a decent collection of lightgun games on the Wii, along with a HotD gun, and while that set up works ok, a Sega branded Sinden gun with classic arcade games would be amazing.

Kazza

There are many people out there for whom their first experience of Sega was through playing Sonic Adventure DX or Super Monkey Ball on the Gamecube as a kid. Some of those are even approaching 30 years old now!

source.gif

Some of my favourite ever Sega games are actually from the newer (i.e. post Dreamcast) IPs - Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Super Monkey Ball, Binary Domain, Bayonetta etc. Of the older IPs, I definitely want to see a new Golden Axe and Shinobi (Lizardcube would be my dev of choice, although others could be ok too). Skies of Arcadia need something, and even the (now) much maligned Altered Beast has a lot of potential (a human being able to morph into different beast forms could be a great 2D metroidvania, or even a 3D action adventure).

Last edited:

P.Jack

If Virtua Fighter actually turns out to be a fully fledged release, I’d get hyped. We can’t have Namco be the only player doing 3D fighters (sorry not sorry Team Ninja).

But more than anything I’d like a new Sega Rally!

Fat Frog

Only 2 votes for the next Creative Assembly ? Without a doubt, i think people don't realize you were talking about the Alien Isolation team and the biggest project of all Sega. (scifi FPS)

Almost ten years after Alien Isolation, can't wait to see the result from this fantastic team.

You can add the Crazy Taxi clone in your poll. Sega had an agreement with the team and will publish it in Asia.

Last edited:

MetalSlug

House of the Dead 1 & 2 are my favourites in the series.

Hopefully I won't need to wait too long for the remake.

Kazza

Only 2 votes for the next Creative Assembly ? Without a doubt, i think people don't realize you were talking about the Alien Isolation team and the biggest project of all Sega. (scifi FPS)

Almost ten years after Alien Isolation, can't wait to see the result from this fantastic team.

You can add the Crazy Taxi clone in your poll. Sega had an agreement with the team and will publish it in Asia.

I'm a big fan of CA (been playing Total War since the first Shogun title), but it's hard to get too hyped for a brand new IP of which we know practically nothing. Hopefully we'll get some kind of reveal this year, even if it doesn't come out until 2022. If we are talking dream games a Terminator Isolation or Jurassic Isolation could be become amazing stealth games in the hands of the Alien Isolation team.

That Taxi game's link to Sega is a little too tenuous to include in the poll, imo. Speaking of Sega spiritual successor games, I'm looking forward to seeing how these two turn out:

Fat Frog

What a time to be a Sega fan !
We got a new mini arcade console with Revenge of Death after almost 30 years, great revivals and huge projects on the road. Sega games are very well received, our fanboys family is getting bigger with new fans every years and a bunch of old fans are slowly coming home. (I think Shenmue 3, Crimson Dragon, Rodea the Sky Soldier, Wonderboy 4 Asha make them realize that even they are disapointed by present Sega, the old employees like Yu Suzuki, Yuji Naka, Yukio Futatsugi are not necessarly doing better without Sega.) Let's see how Sega will handle the next Virtua Fighter and be able to convince old fans... even if they did, i'm afraid once again Shining fans will be forgotten :).

What I like about you Kazza Kazza is that you are a balanced Sega enthusiast, you don't piss on every new IP of modern Sega like an angry old fan for instance, but you like retro gaming too (some new fans are all about Yakuza or Sonic)

As of Creative Assembly new project, it's the Isolation team (already enough for me) but we also know it will be a scifi FPS with huge emphasis on the atmosphere. (DOPE DOPE DOPE)
Sega also confirmed it will be the biggest project ever made among all Sega West Studios...

Last edited:

Fat Frog

But more than anything I’d like a new Sega Rally!
A new entry is far from impossible.
Kenji Sasaki (director of Sega Rally 95, Sega Touring Car) released Sega World Drivers in 2018. On top of that Virtua Racing, Out Run are the most popular games of the Sega Ages line after Sonic.

There is clearly a room for arcade racers if Sega pays the licences. (he did it for Daytona, After Burner Climax lately)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Unless we get the unlikely news of a new/remake Radiant Historia... count me out.
What a shame. There are hundreds of Sega Atlus games and your only interest is Radiant Historia. In effect, it's a good game but it's not even a pure Atlus game. (co developed by Tri Ace)

Fat Frog

Would love a landstalker remake by Lizarcube :).
(maybe it will be one of their upcoming secret projects ha ha)

"Hey there! We haven't discussed it yet but we'd like to first focus on SoR4 and continue to add content. But at Dotemu we are currently working on three unanounced similar projects, so stay tuned "

Not actual games...

Ben and Omar being hardcore Sega fans, we can bet at least one project will be a sega related sequel or remake. (Capcom or SNK stuffs would be awesome too)

Last edited:

Furball

What a shame. There are hundreds of Sega Atlus games and your only interest is Radiant Historia. In effect, it's a good game but it's not even a pure Atlus game. (co developed by Tri Ace)
You are confuse it with Radiata Stories . That is the Tri- Ace game own by Square Enix

Anyway , PSO 2 New Genesis for me

Last edited:

Mhmmm 2077

I am always excited for more stuff from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. And I really suck at strategies, but the trailer for Humankind that was shown during The Game Awards made me kinda want to play it too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have been replaying VC4 which make me want a new VC game or at very least remake of VC3 that never got western release.

SEGA, for love of god please don't let this series die!!

Fat Frog

You are confuse it with Radiata Stories . That is the Tri- Ace game own by Square Enix

Anyway , PSO 2 New Genesis for me
Not at all.
That's my point :

Radiant Historia is Atlus/Tri Ace.
Radiata Stories is Tri Ace only.(it's the same staff from Tri Ace on Radiant Historia + Atlus. So Radiant is not pure Atlus)

Last edited:

P.Jack

A new entry is far from impossible.
Kenji Sasaki (director of Sega Rally 95, Sega Touring Car) released Sega World Drivers in 2018. On top of that Virtua Racing, Out Run are the most popular games of the Sega Ages line after Sonic.

There is clearly a room for arcade racers if Sega pays the licences. (he did it for Daytona, After Burner Climax lately)
Hey good points! Didn’t know about Sasaki, that is a very compelling proposition to have him make another one. I’ll try not to get too carried away but damn, I’d really love a new Sega Rally and you just got me hyped on the possibility!

Fat Frog

Hey good points! Didn’t know about Sasaki, that is a very compelling proposition to have him make another one. I’ll try not to get too carried away but damn, I’d really love a new Sega Rally and you just got me hyped on the possibility!
Plus, Sega understood licensing isn't a problem anymore.

They already modified the cars in recent games...

I don't know if Sega Rally would be successful but a racer collection would for sure. (Daytona, Sega Rally, Outrun, Indy 500, Scud Race)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
In 2021, Sega buys Atlas, then Atlas buys Sony and Microsoft to finally develop PlayBox.

Also, very excited for Humankind.

cireza

Banned
Looking forward to the new Sonic game. Going to be awesome :messenger_sunglasses:

Keeping an eye on some games, like Panzer Dragoon Zwei, the Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi clones.

We might have news from Project Re-Fantasy someday.

Maybe that SEGA will acknowledge Shining Force this year, who knows. I am talking about the good ones :)

Would love to get a new Offline episode of PSO, like Phantasy Star Nova (loved this game). And a Sakura Wars port to Xbox and PC would be nice.

Some M2 and Rieko Kodama goodness as well.

Never cared about Yakuza and Shenmue sorry, I will leave these games to other SEGA fans.

Last edited:

Kazza

I have been replaying VC4 which make me want a new VC game or at very least remake of VC3 that never got western release.

Unfortunately, it does appear to have underperformed sales-wise, despite being given a simultaneous multi-plat release (a rare thing for a non-Sonic Sega game). A shame, as the reviews and gamer reception was all very good. As it stands, I would prefer the the team that made it to be given the Skies of Arcadia IP and a similar budget to VK4 and see how that goes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unfortunately, it does appear to have underperformed sales-wise, despite being given a simultaneous multi-plat release (a rare thing for a non-Sonic Sega game). A shame, as the reviews and gamer reception was all very good. As it stands, I would prefer the the team that made it to be given the Skies of Arcadia IP and a similar budget to VK4 and see how that goes.
8iBc.gif

Corgi1985

Banned
I'm thirsty for some etrian odyssey. Even if the map drawing can't be a thing anymore the way you can build out your team and the progression system still makes it a series worth playing.

johntown

Banned
None of the ones listed but I would love to see Persona 3 remastered and brought to either console or PC.

Senhua

1. New Shenmue with RGG level of budget and design.
2. Persona 6 announcement with Persona 5 royal PC port in the same time
3. New Judge Eyes (Judgment) & RGG games
4. New Sakura Taisen and Vanillaware games
5. 0 hype for SMTV right now cause don’t really like what they have showing so far (feminine protagonist ?)
6. All future Sega/Atlus games launched with PC ver day 1 (kind of impossible) so I can retire my PS4 for good.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Why you do this? I told you it bombed. VC is fucking dead because nobody bought it. (except us.) They literally made a game people wanted (Just 1 with different characters) and NOBODY BOUGHT IT even thought it was available in fucking everything. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Komatsu

Excited for New Genesis, some kind of update on Re Fantasy (Hoshino's been dragging his ass on that one) and hopefully the Zwei remake.

As for the Sonic anniversary game... If it's anything like Generations (a great game), I am all for it. Just please, no more characters or gimmicks, we just wanna went fast:

Iaalwbq.png

Everybody here is drunk and don't worry you are one of the last Sega people here.

We SEGA Nerds are legion.

Furball

Why you do this? I told you it bombed. VC is fucking dead because nobody bought it. (except us.) They literally made a game people wanted (Just 1 with different characters) and NOBODY BOUGHT IT even thought it was available in fucking everything. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well the Ree Era back when the game release really active make article about the game and downplay and call the game sexist . :messenger_tears_of_joy:

it does hurt the game potential sale with all those fake article and journalist believe them in 2018

Last edited:

Paltheos

I'm checking the source on this - I've never heard of tri-ace's involvement - and all I see is that staff that had worked on tri-ace's Radiata Stories worked on this game.
I wouldn't be surprised though. Radiant Historia's battle system is quirky and tri-ace are usually experimental (except when they're playing it safe with like Star Ocean).

ElCasual

Just give me:
Yakuza 7 with haptic feedback.
Persona 3 remake (fix the Tartarus).
Persona 4 golden for PS4.
Persona 5 royale with haptic feedback. Thats all.

OneMoreDay

Neo Member
Persona 3 or 4 on Switch would be great for me personally, but I have no idea how realistic that is. It should be profitable, right?

Top Bottom