• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What The Hell Happened To Destruction Derby?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Destruction Derby series was fun, it was received well, and it even could be considered a bit of a pioneer when it comes to realistic car damage and crash physics. So why aren’t we seeing more Destruction Derby games anymore? Why has this series given way to completely different franchises? What the hell happened to the Destruction Derby series?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

DD 2 was my jam back in the day, just driving backwards round the track crashing head on with the other racers lol

Wreckfest is the successor really, its fantastic, so its not such a crime that DD is gone, since its there in all but name.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
One of those cases where a successful series was overshadowed by an even more successful series (in this case Driver). It's like asking what happened to Lost Vikings, you know?

Although the Driver series went down the shitter pretty fast. They should have gone back to DD instead of Stuntman.

SF Kosmo

Psygnosis was the publisher, it was developed by an Ubisoft branch (reflections) that has since been assimilated
Reflections was independent back then and for a long time. They went way back with Psygnosis going back to Shadow of the Beast but hooked up with GT Interactive later so they could own their own IP.

That IP thing was the real reason I think they didn't want to revisit their old stuff.

SF Kosmo

Fall Guys looks deep compared to that game.
I think it might have been exclusive to the PC version, but there was a battle royale mode in DD that was literally just 50 cars in a circle and you would drive at the center and all smash together, and it was dumb as shit but also glorious.

Aldynes

Psygnosis ? just post this here for those interested, even though Reflections made the game.

Destruction Derby 2 and RAW were absolute fun, so many memories, Wreckfest on Series X at 60fps is what i wanted for years.

Aldynes

It just occurred to me that the 90's and early 00's were full of games with vehicular combat and destruction theme / arena.

Could be interesting to make a list, Destruction Derby , Carmageddon was awesome on PC, Twisted Metal , Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012, Wipeout , X-treme G , Rollcage , Interstate all got sequels too.

Mato

It became irrelevant. I only ever played a demo of DD2. In hindsight, it looks depressing and shallow.

Last edited:

NXGamer

I loved this series back on the Saturn and PS1, Martin Edmondson who also was part of the team that created the technical astounding Shadow of the Beast really wanted to make a physics heavy racer.
They did a great job and it was a big game at the time, the Saturn to PS1 comparison was one of my earlier Retro videos and I still think is an interesting example of the odd choices teams made when porting games back then.

Rayderism

As others have already said, you want Wreckfest. It's a proper evolution of what the Destruction Derby games were.

Top Bottom