• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell did NoA think when they refused to bring over Xenoblade to NA?

SantaC

You know the story, Reggie stubbornly refused to localize Xenoblade 1 because he thought it wouldnt perform. So Nintendo of Europe stepped in and localized it instead.

It then had a Euro release in august 2011, but it took until april 2012 before NoA decided to finally bring it over. I remember the pitchforks.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
You know the story, Reggie stubbornly refused to localize Xenoblade 1 because he thought it wouldnt perform. So Nintendo of Europe stepped in and localized it instead.

It then had a Euro release in august 2011, but it took until april 2012 before NoA decided to finally bring it over. I remember the pitchforks.
I'm sure he regrets that now, but it just goes to show no one gets it right every time.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Remember Project Rainfall ? Those were good times..

I still own an original PAL collector's edition, actually (hey, I'm rich)

KàIRóS

I think NoA was very strict at the time about games with no motion controls, because the entire marketing for the Wii was exactly that, games with motion controls.

So imagine what the top dogs at NoA thought when they knew one of their own studios in Japan was doing a JRPG with zero motion controls, "blasphemy!!" and on top of that, JRPGs in early 2010s were dieing, the games at the time were so terrible that everyone kind of abandoned them and were buying other genres instead, it's easily the worst era for JRPGs, so you can't really blame NoA for thinking "yup, this won't sell"

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm gusing they thought it wouldn't do so well in west, I think it's one of the reason we are not getting Great Ace Attorney in west.......I hate you Capcom.

SantaC

I think NoA was very strict at the time about games with no motion controls, because the entire marketing for the Wii was exactly that, games with motion controls.

So imagine what the top dogs at NoA thought when they knew one of their own studios in Japan was doing a JRPG with zero motion controls, "blasphemy!!" and on top of that, JRPGs in early 2010s were dieing, the games at the time were so terrible that everyone kind of abandoned them and were buying other genres instead, it's easily the worst era for JRPGs, so you can't really blame NoA for thinking "yup, this won't sell"
Jrpgs dieing? I dont remember that. Persona 4, LO, Tales of Vesperia etc.

Woopah

It was a time when NoA had no faith in games that weren't casual games or big IP.

To make it even more odd, the game was announced at E3 2009. Not during the press conference (which included a whole section on RPGs) but in their press site afterwards.

2008 and 2009 Nintendo made some truly baffling marketing decisions.

Mr Hyde

Remember when every goddamn jrpg didn't come to Europe because publishers thought they wouldn't perform or being too complex? Not even the monumental success of Final Fantasy 7 guaranteed Jrpgs to come over here. PAL-land was treated like a third world country when it came to games back in the day.

SantaC

I thought it sold poorly? Could also be because it was Gamestop exclusive.
I mean it was 2012 and wii was pretty much over.

I can understand the sales argument, but at the same time, you should not ignore quality games. We play them for Entertainment afterall.

Hudo

Their analysis of the market back then probably was "I won't sell enough to recoup costs of translation and marketing". Sounds very unspectacular but that's what happens at most businesses.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also Ni no kuni
c0d5ccd03c5b22e38f8d9353535c9d1c.gif

Portugeezer

I mean it was 2012 and wii was pretty much over.

I can understand the sales argument, but at the same time, you should not ignore quality games. We play them for Entertainment afterall.
I get it, and I'm sure they made profit regardless of the low sales.

yurqqa

I'm gusing they thought it wouldn't do so well in west, I think it's one of the reason we are not getting Great Ace Attorney in west.......I hate you Capcom.

You know there's very good translation for the first game ?

Either you need the hacked 3DS and an original cartridge or just play the Android version.

The translation of the second game is in progress too.

Vawn

Banned
Hindsight.

Why didn't Sony publish Demon's Souls in the west?

Why didn't Microsoft buy Mojang when Minecraft was still in alpha?

Why didn't Sony buy Psyonix while Super Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars was a PS3 exclusive?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Hey we're not getting Phoenix Wright
But fuck man those SF5 fighter packs, that's where it's at, RIGHT?!

theclaw135

Banned
What Nintendo sez goes and that's no good.

NoA took three years to release Pikmin 2 Wii
NoE took four years to release Brain Age 3DS
NoK (Korea) took three years to release Link's Crossbow Training
NoJ took three years to release SNES Super Punch Out

Top Bottom