• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should Sucker Punch do next?

Spider-Man launched almost directly in-between Infinity War and Endgame, during the time at which superhero hype was at an unprecedented peak. I'm not saying the genre is dead, but you're about to see a significant drop-off in interest, it's inevitable.

you could say infinity war and endgame attributed to the super hero hype. but again, look at the reaction to both crystal dynamics avengers and insomniacs spider man miles morales. I've seen videos and reactions, and so far miles morales is far more anticipated than avengers. not to say the avengers game will be bad, but some are just mixed on it. doesn't matter if its a huge, or small super hero property. if the studio is great at what they do, and have all the components to make a truly good if not amazing game. then people will be anticipating that studios next release.

It's going to be a sequel so they can reuse assets and shorten dev time - they can improve many aspects of the gameplay too.

They could revisit Infamous but it doesn't make sense because of Spiderman. But maybe they could do a Venom game.

A new IP is unlikely, it's not often a developer will make 2 new ips back to back.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I want a Tsushima spin off, in a smaller island with coop missions and multiple playable characters, each one having a unique story, the game would be focused on replayability and challenges, made by a smaller team, while a big team works on a new IP. That would be my wish.

Infamous is great, but Spiderman will fill that gap for a while and it will give time for them to expand and try to innovate the series on the future.
Yeah, I think they could have each character with different weapons.... Odachi or others.

DonF

Ghost of tsushima 2, change the design of the protag, then ghost of tsushima second son.

Honestly. I hope they can do whatever they want. They are a top tier first party studio now in my book.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
you could say infinity war and endgame attributed to the super hero hype. but again, look at the reaction to both crystal dynamics avengers and insomniacs spider man miles morales. I've seen videos and reactions, and so far miles morales is far more anticipated than avengers. not to say the avengers game will be bad, but some are just mixed on it. doesn't matter if its a huge, or small super hero property. if the studio is great at what they do, and have all the components to make a truly good if not amazing game. then people will be anticipating that studios next release.

I'm looking forward to Miles Morales, I'll get it and play it day one. But like you say, that's because of my devotion to anything Insomniac, not because I like superheroes especially. The same can't be said for the public. The problem is, we're never going to get a fair metric, because Spider-Man came out at a time when the PS4 had already sold tens of millions of units, and Miles Morales will be a launch title, if not a holiday title. Sadly, we'll probably never know exactly what determined its success or failure.

Last edited:

Keihart

i want a sequel, this time in somewhat of an alternative Edo era and with full Shinobi skills this time, maybe this time deliver on the idea of becoming the ghost something that you have to hide if you don't want npcs reacting different to you. Infamous with katanas basically, i'm all for that. They could build a very fun traversal and melee combat in more urban setting. Maybe you are shinsengumi by day and ninja by night. A renegade cop turn vigilante, idk. I want more hamburguer samurai as Nate Foxe called it.

McCheese

I'd be completely fine with Ghost of Tsushima 2

The setting was beautiful and I'm sure there is far more they could do with it.

Ar¢tos

PS5 upgrade for Ghost of Tsushima.
After that maybe an ARPG, but not open world, a connected world like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls in design.

Sequel/Spin-off to Ghost can be in the cards. But I wouldn't mind a new IP.

The only thing I'm worried about is PS Studios greenlight process under Herman as a head. Yoshida is the reason Ghost is out and the reason Sony studios can kill games deep into development and still get 1-up for a new IP....literally the reason Sucker Punch isn't eating sand right now.

Last edited:

Hudo

Pretty sure you're describing Assassins Creed 2.
Not really, AC 2 was set during the italian renaissance. Maybe you meant the original AC?, That was a good game IMHO, but Sucker Punch wouldn't be "burdened" with the assassin stuff, so they'd have more freedom to explore the setting.

Rikoi

Considering the big success of Ghost of Tsushima, I would find it weird if they didn't take advantage of this and make a sequel.

ToadMan

I’d like to see GOT PS5 and dlc. Maybe on the mainland in Kyoto for example or perhaps the shogun sending his samurai to the island.

After that, I think a GOT follow up. Not sure if it’ll still be Tsushima - there was a second mongol invasion in 1281.

But perhaps putting it back Tsushima would be a bit stale. Perhaps better to try and look for other stories to tell either In a similar history period or with descendents of the characters in a different locale.

I wouldn't mind a fifth. Was Thieves in Time any good? I adored the PS2 trilogy. Shoulders above the other sony 3d platformers IMO.

Thieves in time wasn't made by Sucker Punch unfortunately, it was decent in terms of gameplay, not fun enough for me to finish though. I made it to the fourth of 5 world's I believe. The story was a disservice to the franchise, imo; it lost a lot of it's stylish/clever wittiness that the first 3 games had in spades.

Camreezie

I never played sly cooper so I'd be down for giving a remake in the vein of ratchet and Clank a go. Being about halfway through GoT I would also take a sequel.

NoviDon

How badass would it be if they did a pirates of the Caribbean inspired game with pirate lore and creatures, taking over pirate territories, claiming islands and aquiring booty of the gold and non gold varieties while dodging local authorities. Think it could be great with their visual style and combat system.

JimiNutz

Banned
More Ghost of Tsushima.

First game is a rock solid start to the franchise.
A few minor adjustments and I think it could be something incredibly special.

Seems like a waste to just abandon this world after all the love they poured into this first game.

Vawn

Banned
Whatever they want. That's been a big key to Sony's success with first-party studios - they let them make the games they WANT to make, not necessarily what Sony thinks they need or what will sell the best (or be most easily turned into a microtransaction machine/GaaS).

kebaldo

I hope they open a "Gohst of" franchise... Just imagine "Gohst of Rome" or "Gohst of Egypt"... It could be a AC killer.

Rikoi

I hope they open a "Gohst of" franchise... Just imagine "Gohst of Rome" or "Gohst of Egypt"... It could be a AC killer.
That might sound cool, but I don't think it would work.
The reason why GoT is successful is because of the exotic samurai/ninja theme.
Of course a Samurai in Egypt wouldn't make any sense so the franchise would morph into an AC clone.

april6e

I will always vote for new IPs. I always want developers to challenge themselves by creating new experiences. There are already plenty of milked sequels if that is what floats your boat.

Hal.

Pretty sure you're describing Assassins Creed 2.

I want them to make the Assassin's Creed 2 of Ghost of Tsushima.

Set it during the Sengoku period and add in the following:
  • Guns;
  • Dual wielding;
  • Spears;
  • Your own village to upgrade/develop;
  • Some sort of clan warfare.
Boom, there you go. Flesh out the mechanics a bit more and you have an awesome game.

They've basically made the ultimate generic but very stylish and competent open world game at the moment. With a bit more focus it could be awesome.

For good measure why not add in a Shadow of War nemesis system (or something similar).

Kumomeme

carry the knowhow to....fantasy open world rpg

they already done sword fighting and superpower stuff

Last edited:
You know who else was called a ghost?

the-patriot-mel-gibson-flag-scaled.jpg

JonnyMP3

Infamous please!
Superpowers in a fast streaming world? Imagine being able to run neon style through a world as big as GTA... 😍

GreyHorace

Here's something I didn't know. Before the developers at Sucker Punch settled on the idea of making a samurai game, they floated other ideas for their new open world title:

Early on, we concluded that we wanted to build a large, open world experience — and one that featured melee combat. But beyond that we were uncertain. Pirates? Rob Roy? The Three Musketeers? All these were considered — but we kept coming back to feudal Japan and telling the story of a samurai warrior. Then one fateful fall afternoon we found a historical account of the Mongol invasion of Tsushima in 1274, and the entire vision clicked into place.

If and when they release an eventual sequel to Ghost of Tsushima, I'd like to see Sucker Punch explore these other settings. I'm sick and tired of Ubisoft being the only one on the market doing historical open world games with their Assassin's Creed franchsie. Let's see others do the same.

Top Bottom