• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What separates Halo Infinite multiplayer from other online shooters..

It's memorable.

Some cool stuff happens that keeps me recording clips.

I distinctly remember a BTB match in which our team joined us to take 3rd, hard to control point without asking, to make a concerted effort for a hard fought victory.

Or a team Slayer match that went down the wire with our final 3 points scored with a single coil blast.

I recently started playing Apex Legends. While it's way more addictive, Halo Infinite cannot even begin to match it in that aspect. But I just don't remember even yesterday's matches I played. It has refined progression, a ton of systems for risk/reward etc, it plays in a blur. It feels like a time sink but i will likely regret playing to too much.

In contrast, Halo Infinite is satisfying even if I play just 2 matches.

Your thoughts? How do you think Infinite compares to other shooter? Which do you prefer and why?

kingfey

Banned
Halo infinite MP is for hardcore players. Normal people won't tolerate playing few sets of gameplay mode.

There is no variety right now, due to the lack of content.

Unlike other games, which you have alot of stuff to do. Halo infinite MP makes you familiar with these little maps, which is why you are enjoying it.

Its like counter strike with less maps and modes. That is what infinite MP is right now.

Banned
Halo Infinite shits on all other shooters as far as pure gameplay is concerned. People crying about cosmetic progression are sad. My problem, the only actual problem with HI is the lack of new maps.

the gameplay is shit too. the netcode is so bad that it's a shitshow to try and actually play.

also the progression system directly and negatively affects gameplay because basically noone actually plays the game correctly since everyone is doing challenges, camping at weapon spawns or even just camping the whole game because they need to get backslaps for a challenge.

then you have the smallest map selection of any Halo launch ever, you have missing modes and the worst custom game system ever.

you got extreme desync issues that regularly result in no-regs or even ridiculous stuff like 2 people simultaneously backslapping/assassinating eachother due to how shit the netcode is and due to the missing player collision (that is most likely a direct result of the bad netcode because the devs knew the collision wouldn't even work correctly)

the aiming on controller is about a decade out of date when it comes to settings and feel, a shameful display next to modern games like Apex, Titanfall, CoD or even the small indy Halo clone Splitgate!
the only reason people don't care is because the game needs basically no skill due to the main weapon used in competitive being the BR, which basically aims itself with the ridiculous bullet magnetism it has, same with the Pistol only with a reduced range.

the game reintroduced bloom, a relic from Halo Reach where it was rightfully shit on by the entire community because it introduces a randomness to battles that further lowers the skill ceiling and is only a thing to give bad players a random chance of winning a gunfight against a more experienced player.
shit like that HAS NO PLACE in an arena shooter.
they even added bloom to the fucking Sniper... and added a random spread to hipfire, again, lowering the skill ceiling.

modes that aren't ranked have random weapon rotations, shitting on the deliberately placed weapon spawn design of old Halo, where the weapons on the map were directly tailored to what the map needs and is balanced.

in BTB there are even asymmetric weapon and vehicle spawns, sometimes giving one team an unfair advantage for no reason, making it some form of Mario Party mode where you need to get lucky to get the good stuff.

and I'm mostly focusing on the gameplay and design aspects here, if we go further with missing modes, features, unfinished features and completely broken features it gets even worse.

there is a reason this game is dying faster than ANY halo before it currently. it's a shitshow of the highest order and the biggest failure 343i ever developed

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
the gameplay is shit too. the netcode is so bad that it's a shitshow to try and actually play.

also the progression system directly and negatively affects gameplay because basically noone actually plays the game correctly since everyone is doing challenges, camping at weapon spawns or even just camping the whole game because they need to get backslaps for a challenge.

then you have the smallest map selection of any Halo launch ever, you have missing modes and the worst custom game system ever.

you got extreme desync issues that regularly result in no-regs or even ridiculous stuff like 2 people simultaneously backslapping/assassinating eachother due to how shit the netcode is and due to the missing player collision (that is most likely a direct result of the bad netcode because the devs knew the collision wouldn't even work correctly)

the aiming on controller is about a decade out of date when it comes to settings and feel, a shameful display next to modern games like Apex, Titanfall, CoD or even the small indy Halo clone Splitgate!
the only reason people don't care is because the game needs basically no skill due to the main weapon used in competitive being the BR, which basically aims itself with the ridiculous bullet magnetism it has, same with the Pistol only with a reduced range.

the game reintroduced bloom, a relic from Halo Reach where it was rightfully shit on by the entire community because it introduces a randomness to battles that further lowers the skill ceiling and is only a thing to give bad players a random chance of winning a gunfight against a more experienced player.
shit like that HAS NO PLACE in an arena shooter.
they even added bloom to the fucking Sniper... and added a random spread to hipfire, again, lowering the skill ceiling.

modes that aren't ranked have random weapon rotations, shitting on the deliberately placed weapon spawn design of old Halo, where the weapons on the map were directly tailored to what the map needs and is balanced.

in BTB there are even asymmetric weapon and vehicle spawns, sometimes giving one team an unfair advantage for no reason, making it some form of Mario Party mode where you need to get lucky to get the good stuff.

and I'm mostly focusing on the gameplay and design aspects here, if we go further with missing modes, features, unfinished features and completely broken features it gets even worse.

there is a reason this game is dying faster than ANY halo before it currently. it's a shitshow of the highest order and the biggest failure 343i ever developed

Don't forget the slide Meta

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lack of content is what sets it apart.

I’ve easily got over 100 days clocked in Halo 3, Reach, 4, 5, MCC and Infinite online.

Just can’t be fucked with 343’s bullshit anymore.

And this has diluted the already dwindled population to the point where this is happening;

Yeah I feel this.

Gears 5 also went through this so I suppose it's MS issue more than 343i.

I am hopeful though it will get a ton of content like Gears 5 by end of an year and maintain some playerbase.

Fbh

I like it because it's not BR and no loadouts. I always liked the concept of everyone starting with the same gear and having to find other weapons and gear on the map (and yeah I know that's part of BR too, but not in the same way)

manfestival

I like how this thread started as a thread to praise Halo Infinite and immediately devolved into the opposite.

However, I am definitely on the negative side of this. I gave up on the MP after about a month. Really had fun with the SP though. That had it's problems but it seems like those problems pale in comparison to MP. I did hop on for this new event but that is pretty frustrating as well. The game sits in a lack of content state even this long after release. The only thing they have done decently on is cosmetics. Though I would gladly trade some cosmetics for more actual content like maps, playlists, items, gear, and etc.

I like how this thread started as a thread to praise Halo Infinite and immediately devolved into the opposite.

Yeah.

I get the complaints, there have been ton of outlets for that.

I just wanted to discuss what makes it special and how instead of being hopelessly addictive, it lets you have a quality time.

Gaf won't have it I guess.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
its a good shooter with a bad progression system and i moved on already after a rough month of playing because of the big team bugs, silly map rotation system and 343's focus on facebook posts on social wokeness and inclusiveness instead of delivering actual content to play.
I'm pretty sure 343 paying a few people to manage their social media account does not interfere with ongoing game development.

Each battle feels more skill oriented than a game like cod. I'm good at cod and halo (not pro level but better than average) and going 2.0+ in halo feels way more satisfying. The loop is by far the best. and in cod i can often win 2v1 gun battles, you can in halo but alot more thought goes into it outside of just quick scoping two people.

Halo Infinite shits on all other shooters as far as pure gameplay is concerned. People crying about cosmetic progression are sad. My problem, the only actual problem with HI is the lack of new maps.
I wonder what people did prior to the battle pass era...I completed it but it was a passive completion...the fact people play to complete the pass and to not, you know have fun with the game is baffling. But to each their own.

elliot5

I can kind of agree. Battle royale is addictive but feels like a time sink and is often a wasted round. Arena shooters like Halo can be great. I wish i had my replays set up properly and remember my hot keys because i have a sick play every other game or so that I want a clip of. I love halo Infinite but it does need some love real soon.

tmlDan

Halo Infinite is a Call of duty clone and isn't a real Halo game. There is a reason it's already a failure and out of the top 100 played games on steam.
pretty much, but slowed down to a snails pace and a TTK lasting an entire lifetime because its made for boomers with slow reactions.

I think it would be better sped up a bit and a faster TTK, it's still a bit too much. I'm not saying COD levels of insta death but it is honestly annoying, making 2 v 1's much harder when you outshoot one guy and still take 4 -6 headshots to kill them.

4 bursts for headshots for the BR is a fkn joke, it's 6 bursts for body shots....wtf.

Banjo64

cumsessed
pretty much, but slowed down to a snails pace and a TTK lasting an entire lifetime because its made for boomers with slow reactions.

I think it would be better sped up a bit and a faster TTK, it's still a bit too much. I'm not saying COD levels of insta death but it is honestly annoying, making 2 v 1's much harder when you outshoot one guy and still take 4 -6 headshots to kill them.

4 bursts for headshots for the BR is a fkn joke, it's 6 bursts for body shots....wtf.
Yeah man but nobody (except really shit kids) goes for 6 shots on the body.

You can land 3 body shots and then 1 headshot and that’s a kill with the BR.

Also the TTK just allows skilled player the opportunity to reverse a death situation whereas in games like CoD little Jimmy camping in the corner can drop you from behind it 0.2 seconds, what’s skilled about that?

Leyasu

Banned
And this has diluted the already dwindled population to the point where this is happening;

I just played 5 games in the EU and each one was found in less than 10 seconds.

The gameplay is great, the lack of maps and horrendous desync are ruining it though.

Warablo

The gameplay feels good, but no idea if im older now or lack of progression/maps. Just doesn't keep you engaged like old school Halo, maybe because their are so many more fps games now?

ZywyPL

Banned
Also the TTK just allows skilled player the opportunity to reverse a death situation whereas in games like CoD little Jimmy camping in the corner can drop you from behind it 0.2 seconds, what’s skilled about that?

While CoD's TTK is laughable, Halo has nothing to do with skill due to complete lack o balance and the amount of nonsense like overshield, active camo, energy sword, gravity gun, needler, spanker etc. The high TTK only makes people abuse melee and nade spaming, nothing more, because of how hopeless most of the guns are.

tmlDan

Yeah man but nobody (except really shit kids) goes for 6 shots on the body.

You can land 3 body shots and then 1 headshot and that’s a kill with the BR.

Clearly your reading comprehension is at kindergarten levels.

I said it should be less, not that it should be instant. The comparable between body and head is a joke. They're too similar and noob friendly.

Last edited:
While CoD's TTK is laughable, Halo has nothing to do with skill due to complete lack o balance and the amount of nonsense like overshield, active camo, energy sword, gravity gun, needler, spanker etc. The high TTK only makes people abuse melee and nade spaming, nothing more, because of how hopeless most of the guns are.

Granade and melee both need more skills than using a gun. 90% of my kills are with guns.

As for pickups items, they are few and far between. You have to be lucky to get them. Almost never seen them change the tide of a match.

In fact I don't find anything more dependable than assault rifle.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Clearly your reading comprehension is at kindergarten levels.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Qaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Top Bottom