• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What PS1 hidden gems would you recommend?

The Fartist

Gold Member
Damn GAF you do not disappoint, some real PlayStation ninjas on here.

VioletDisloyalBorer-size_restricted.gif

Rival Schools

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Motor Toon Grand Prix 2

It's called Motor Toon Grand Prix in the U.S. but this is actually the sequel, as the first one was released only in Japan.

...and Return Fire

Last edited:

TheContact

Monster Rancher 2
Kinda like Pokemon, you create monsters and train them to increase their stats and have them fight in an arena.
The cool thing about this game is to generate monsters, it would ask you to open the psx and put in another CD (could be anything--music cd, another game).

The not so cool thing is the game would tell you that you had a 90+% chance to hit and you would still miss a lot, but overall I loved this game.

CluelessFondBass-max-1mb.gif

GrimyMarriedDogwoodclubgall-max-1mb.gif

The Fartist

Gold Member
ScientificMemorableAsp-max-1mb.gif

812987AG74L._SX466_.gif

Skateboarding sim

Was release a couple of months after THPS, but this was made for real skateboarders, pretty tough game. And the soundtrack was superior to THPS, IMHO.

Thrasher Presents:
Skate and Destroy by Rockstar

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not sure if it's a hidden gem, but I really enjoyed Valkirie Profile.

It's dark tone and original battle system made me beat this game... Twice! It's great, but also the kind of game in which you'll need a guide if you want to achieve the best ending.

Esppiral

Black Ops Entertainment's (Treasures of the Deep guys) Agile Warrior: F-111X. Not a great flight combat sim but it features 2-players cooperative play, one player being the gunner and other the pilot (ala Star Fox Zero).

209356-agile-warrior-f-111x-playstation-back-cover.png

Vivid Image's Street Racer. A Mario Kart Clone. Saturn and Playstation versions were the only 8-players split-screen games ever developed until the Virtua Racing remaster for Switch. And every single version of the game uses a different technical approach. The Genesis version was a regular raster-effect road game (ala OutRun). The Super Nintendo version was a Mode 7 game. The Saturn version was a more advance Mode 7 game. And the Playstation version featured a fully polygonal road. This version probably has the shortest rendering distance i've ever seen on Playstation, playing the 8-players split-screen (even shorter than Driver 2).

It has an unofficial translation but, afaik, it is not 100% stable.

The Spanish translation is perfectly playable. I already finished it three times and yes, it is an amazing game.

Wait wait wait! there is a spanish translation for Mizzurna Falls!!! I allways wanted to play that game!

Angelcurio

It was already mentioned in the first page, but Zelda ALTTP fans should really try Alundra. It's like Zelda Snes, but way harder.

Last edited:

yewles1

Space Griffon VF-9 is the ultimate shlocky guilty pleasure on PS1, if you enjoy bad 80's anime stories with survival horror'ish mecha jank then this lost Atlas title is just for you.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I read through some of the thread, so in an effort to avoid redundancy I’d recommend Wild 9. 2.5d with telekinetic power glove to solve puzzles and mash enemies into hazards. Nice soundtrack with good gameplay.

Top Bottom