• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What percentage of Rumors posted on GAF end up happening?

What percentage of GAF Rumors end up true?

• Over 90%

• 71%-90%

• 51%-70%

• 31%-50%

• 11%-30%

• 10% or fewer

Results are only viewable after voting.
We seem to get so many rumors posted on this site lately. I've noticed, no matter how little evidence is presented in the thread's OP most of the conversation continues as if it is going to happen.

Then weeks, months, etc go by, and nothing comes from this. Some out of touch people will even believe false rumors from way back actually happened.

What's the deal? Why are so many rumors cropping up with very little reason to believe them? Are posters on this site and other gaming sites just completely naive or gullible?

Kuranghi

100% is over 90% and you clearly didnt vote for that! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rBQA4W2.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

It's the age of the Internet we live in these days. Social media is so prevalent that you only need a Twitter account to count as "insider". You can spread rumors and shit post about anything really, there's always bound to be some clown picking it up and post it on forums, and then the circus is in full swing. It's why I tend to get away more and more from Internet and gaming forums, it's made up from 80 procent bullshit and the rest of the 20 procent is pathetic fanboys bickering about their favorite systems. It's a sad state of affairs and I don't reckon it to get better anytime soon.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Depends on the source.

Youtubers like colt trying to generate views 0%

Imran Khan, Colin, and Gregg Miller are either given early access or have friends across the industry 90%

Jeeves

I feel like over the past 4-5 years the gaming community has gotten way more fixated on rumors than it used to, and maybe as a result of that there are more rumors going around to satisfy the increased "demand" for them, because people with a little scrap of info are jumping to conclusions in order to chase clout or something. That or just plain making things up to watch the ensuing chaos?

Karak

I feel like over the past 4-5 years the gaming community has gotten way more fixated on rumors than it used to, and maybe as a result of that there are more rumors going around to satisfy the increased "demand" for them, because people with a little scrap of info are jumping to conclusions in order to chase clout or something. That or just plain making things up to watch the ensuing chaos?
This is...insanely, incredibly, 100% accurate

Cutty Flam

Banned
It’s hit and miss. Metroid Dread was rumored title and all and that ended up being true. Some dude was talking a big game about The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess coming to the Nintendo Switch this year and that was false

Metroid Dread was rumored title and all and that ended up being true.
Metroid Dread was rumored 16 years ago (and off and on since), when GameInformer listed a 2006 upcoming game called Metroid Dread. That's almost as long ago as the original "Microsoft is buying Sega" rumors. I'd hardly say that counts as getting it right.

This would be like SquareEnix announcing Chrono Break and everyone saying they got the rumor right 20 years ago.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am going with rather low because of all the bullshit Nintendo HW rumors over the last few gens. But even the Metroid rumors were off. It was supposed to be a remaster of Super Metroid. You could say that was partially true, new Metroid game developed by Mercury Steam, but I give that a big fat wrong.

It's hard to separate the wrong ones I remember from the right ones I forgot.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Voted 11-30%. I would say maybe 2 out of 10 rumors/predictions end up true.

BlackTron

A lot of the rumors are just BS, but a lot end up being true anyway because their insights are like "Nintendo will release a new Mario game next year" or "Microsoft is working on a Halo media project that isn't a game". The type of thing you would NEVER surmise unless your uncle worked there.

Zannegan

I feel like many of the rumors posted are just for the sake of discussion, not necesarily because people take them as gospel.

To answer the question asked though, probably close to 10%, and far less if you say they must happen in the time frame the leaker expected.

Of course, plans change, projects are cancelled without ever being announced. It may be that some insiders are working with legit information and end up getting burned anyway.

I'm thinking of Matt Cassamassina of IGN Nintendo and the infamous Kid Icarus reboot from Factor 5 he kept saying would show up at E3 2008. Turns out it was a real project, and he did have the inside scoop, but it never became a full game (for good reason).

I thought the ligma rumours were the most compelling and interesting.

Ligma was probably one of the best leakers that provided the substantial information on game rumours.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think it really depends.
Lately, we know a lot of stuff was delayed (like the Switch Pro which is 99% real by still not here and rumored for an announcement plenty of time)
But then we have the location of Forza 5, know for weeks if not months before the reveal, same for Fable by Playground, or Final Fantasy Origin etc...
So yeah not all rumor are true but I'd say it's around 30/40%

Top Bottom