• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Percentage Of Games Do You Buy vs Rent

Duchess

100% physical (or 75%, if you count the physical copies I borrow from my brother - both of us have PS5s)

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Any game worth playing I buy, I don't rent anything.

Graciaus

100% buy digital on PC.

If gamepass was directly tied into Steam I would consider it. But the Xbox app is trash every time I try it.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I used to buy everything digitally, but now I guess with Gamepass and PSPlus I'm renting about 90 percent of everything I try out. Just don't see how it benefits me to actually outright purchase a game anymore.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Anyone with a brain never buys day one, or only buys day one in extremely limited circumstances. Examples; Nintendo tentpole first party and generational games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3 and Elden Ring. I game share on my PS5 now so got Elden Ring and Horizon FW say one at half price. Most of my games have historically been bought on discount/deep discount. The point is that if you do that and buy 3-4 games a year, even at £10-£25 a pop, it ends up being more cost efficient than the sub services.

I use Game Pass but I’ve not completed many of the games on it, it’s mainly to dip my toes in to stuff. A Plague Tale is the major win that I’ve had from it.

Last edited:
It really just depends on what coming to Game Pass (and PS+ Extra whenever I get that). I'm pretty much exclusively digital so I never "actually" rent games, but depending on what gets added to Game Pass it can drastically affect how many games I play on "rent" vs buy. There are definitely games I'll wait until they hit the service, but for the most part if I really want to play a game I'll buy it (with the exception of Xbox 1st party games which I get included with my subscription already).

KillaJamm

I was a long time subscriber to Gamepass Ultimate but I just found out over time I just preferred to buy the games outright. It's a great deal but you are really just renting them and I find enjoyment in building up a collection, wether it be physical or digital. Switch and PlayStation has always been purchasing outright, with the exception of the monthly PS Plus offerings.

These days it’s way more “rent” than buy. I have GamePass and PS+ Premium or whatever it’s called.

Most games these days don’t really do it for me, it’s pretty far and few between when I really get sucked into something so I end up bouncing around between a lot of bullshit.

I have no intention of ever buying a game at $70, I don’t care what it is. Most games at that price point or even $60 aren’t worth it to me nowadays. I’ll try it out, see if I like it or if not I’m waiting for a sale.

Used to be huge into physical collections but as I’ve gotten older I don’t care anymore. Once I beat something I’m done with it. Unless it’s something from much older generations, I’m not putting the disk back in.

Collecting for me is limited to systems before CDs. Those are the games I enjoy the most and want to own and replay. Most of the shit out now is exactly that, shit.

I buy indie releases from time to time, I prefer games that weren’t worked on by hundreds of people stretched out across multiple studios around the world. They don’t have any singular voice or direction for the most part. They’re now services made to nickel and dime you as long as they can for content that isn’t worth a nickel, let alone a dime.

Fuck that man.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
These days it’s way more “rent” than buy. I have GamePass and PS+ Premium or whatever it’s called.

Most games these days don’t really do it for me, it’s pretty far and few between when I really get sucked into something so I end up bouncing around between a lot of bullshit.

I have no intention of ever buying a game at $70, I don’t care what it is. Most games at that price point or even $60 aren’t worth it to me nowadays. I’ll try it out, see if I like it or if not I’m waiting for a sale.

Used to be huge into physical collections but as I’ve gotten older I don’t care anymore. Once I beat something I’m done with it. Unless it’s something from much older generations, I’m not putting the disk back in.

Collecting for me is limited to systems before CDs. Those are the games I enjoy the most and want to own and replay. Most of the shit out now is exactly that, shit.

I buy indie releases from time to time, I prefer games that weren’t worked on by hundreds of people stretched out across multiple studios around the world. They don’t have any singular voice or direction for the most part. They’re now services made to nickel and dime you as long as they can for content that isn’t worth a nickel, let alone a dime.

Fuck that man.

This is shockingly similar to my approach since the last couple of years.

I've outlived the collection phase and have phased out almost 80% of my physical collection of PS4 games, just a few ones left. The only physical PS3 game I've left is MGS4, a couple of PS4 physical games like God of War, Spider Man, Horizon(s), TLoU 2's limited edition etc.

Since transitioning to Series X, the only physical games I've gotten are cheap ass 360 games at thrift stores for BC and maybe RE Village and one or two more max. The rest is game pass and/or game fly.

Top Bottom