• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other offensive content should be cut before the GTA remasters are released?

SJRB

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Make CJ a white guy because a black guy in the hood is stereotypical and therefor racist.

More than likely Take Two has an overarching company mandate about certain imagery. The stars and bars probably falls under that, so they made those changes based on that policy (granted I don't know for sure I'm just guessing). They more than likely put less thought into removing it than what everyone here is digging for.

I can't remember enough about that character to know if removing that flag changes the very context of who he is or not. I totally agree that it shouldn't be removed but I also can't muster any more than a casual shrug that they did. I'm sure internally there would be a much bigger discussion about the removal if it actually changed important context of that character and the missions you do with him.

clem84

Gold Member
The entire GTA San Andreas game should be cancelled because it reinforces negative stereotypes about PoC in regards to their over representation in criminal activities.

I obviously shouldn't be playing as a person of color in a video game because i'm basically doing black face and culturally appropriating black gang culture for my own entertainment.

Also, "follow the damn car CJ" is inherently a racist line of dialogue in the game because of it's connotations to how slave masters would speak. The fact that it was said by Big Smoke only validates that Big Smoke is a victim of marginalization and oppression as he is depicted as being out-of-touch with his inner blackness as he forces his fellow men to follow a damn train.

Also, dating in the game? Yeah. Cut that out too because it obviously permeates the socio-hierarchy structure of a male dominated world where a man has to pick up a woman, and take her to places, for the promise of sex. Ugh. Sexist much?

Also, strip clubs. If there isn't a transwoman dancing, it isn't an accurate depiction of reality and should be labeled immediately as transphobic as the game pretends like trans people don't exist.

Actually, let's just cancel the release and just give our heartwarming cards to our fellow marginalized populations to tell them we care about their feelings. That sounds better.

Griffon

I would advise against LARPing as reeeera, even for fun, because we might end up with people doing it seriously in those threads, and we might end up with a shitty situation of dead-pan serious threads on the same subjects (I remember MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima making sarcastic ridiculous console-warring threads that ended up being straight-faced mirrored by other posters, it didn't help the situation).

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
If seeing these things turns people into these things, then we are too weak willed to be a species any more.

Also as I addressed in the other post, satire is a tool to mock the dumb and foolish, not enhance them. I referenced Mel Brooks, a famous jewish comedian/film-maker who fought in ww2. He frequently mocked his enemies with their very own appearance, including wearing a full on nazi uniform. His words:

And if you think I say these things because I'm some right wing conspirator? Nah, I'm actually pretty left of center politically. I just value this tool too much to be ruined.

If anyone needs me I'll be praying for a solar system adjacent super nova. 💥

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

giphy.gif

Make CJ a white guy because a black guy in the hood is stereotypical and therefor racist.
But then it'd be cultural appropriation to be a white guy or any non-black person in an all black gang.
I obviously shouldn't be playing as a person of color in a video game because i'm basically doing black face and culturally appropriating black gang culture for my own entertainment.

Also, "follow the damn car CJ" is inherently a racist line of dialogue in the game because of it's connotations to how slave masters would speak. The fact that it was said by Big Smoke only validates that Big Smoke is a victim of marginalization and oppression as he is depicted as being out-of-touch with his inner blackness as he forces his fellow men to follow a damn train.

Also, dating in the game? Yeah. Cut that out too because it obviously permeates the socio-hierarchy structure of a male dominated world where a man has to pick up a woman, and take her to places, for the promise of sex. Ugh. Sexist much?

Also, strip clubs. If there isn't a transwoman dancing, it isn't an accurate depiction of reality and should be labeled immediately as transphobic as the game pretends like trans people don't exist.

Actually, let's just cancel the release and just give our heartwarming cards to our fellow marginalized populations to tell them we care about their feelings. That sounds better.
I think the term is "digital blackface".

Ps5ProFoSho

Might as well remake all the games if you're gonna do this BS. 90% of the enjoyment of these games is the satire. I'm sick and tired of the cry baby you-hoot-my-feewings BS. And no I'm not a racist redneck; but I do believe in free speech, and not dumbing down art forms for pillow-humping cancel culture dipshits.

Don't you mean "what offensive content should be added before the GTA remasters are released"? Take some out, you gotta add some back in, there should always be a balance.

The confederate flag is being cut because of what it symbolizes. However, there is also way more offensive content that can have a negative influence in the current year and needs to be cut before the games are released.

Soundtracks: There are many offensive songs on the soundtracks that include racial slurs and glorify gang violence. The rock and roll should also be cut because it can be considered satanic. All of it should go and be replaced with less problematic modern artists like Lil Nas X and Ariana Grande.

Gangs: All gang references should be cut. Gangs are a serious problem today and this stuff might influence impressionable people to join a gang.

Violence: Many people have been victims of violence. The guns and violence in general should be taken out of these games. Especially since many racist groups such as the Confederate Army used guns and violence to get their points across in the past.

Traffic laws: Many people have become disabled due to bad drivers who don't follow traffic laws. The traffic laws need to be enforced in this game.

Rockstar Games: The name itself is offensive. No one listens to rock anymore but back in the day rockstars were known to be toxic male misogynists which is not acceptable for modern audiences.

Cops: They should be replaced with community workers and therapists in these games.

What else needs to be changed before these games are released so that these are acceptable for modern audiences? I am proud of Rockstar because removing the confederate flag on the dumb redneck character's shirt is a good start but they have much work to do.

I don't like you.

teezzy

Banned
Jokes aside, are they really omitting things from the remasters? Hilarious

The franchise's central marketing point was its controversial irreverence for years

Last edited:

Yoda

:messenger_clapping: Committing violent crimes in video games is actual violence towards real victims of violent crimes in real-life. :messenger_clapping:

/s

I love how dramatic people can get...like they cut the confederate flag...im sure thatll massively change your experience.

Last edited:
I love how dramatic people can get...like they cut the confederate flag...im sure thatll massively change your experience.
You could probably use the exact same berating for those who were offended by it and decided it should be taken out… let’s try it;

“I love how dramatic people can get...like there’s the confederate flag on a peripheral character’s shirt… im sure thatll massively change your experience.”

Yep, overreactive snowflakes round the table.

K' Dash

This is your typical Reeeeee thread, I shit you not.

A joke here, serious business over there.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

They're already talking about banning the use of real guns on movie sets and using CGI because of the Baldwin incident. Now I read this.. This world has gone to shit!

You could probably use the exact same berating for those who were offended by it and decided it should be taken out… let’s try it;

“I love how dramatic people can get...like there’s the confederate flag on a peripheral character’s shirt… im sure thatll massively change your experience.”

Yep, overreactive snowflakes round the table.
I haven't seen one person ever complain about a flag in GTA...this is a rockstar decision...who cares. It doesn't change the game.

I also love how dramatic people can get ... like seeing a confederate flag and treat it like a nazi flag, even go to the lengths of searching for this things in a source code for woke points.
You saying the confederate flag should be treated as better than a Nazi flag? As if the confederates were far better. Well then...about the game the experience doesn't change based on its removal.

Mabdia

Well... I'm totally against any kind d of censorship. If the guys feel the need to censor a part of the game... why not just don't re release it?

I really miss the good old days.

Top Bottom