• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Made Eternal Darkness One Hell of A Game?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Eternal Darkness is a game worth playing for many reasons. It’s not the scariest horror game, nor is it the most intuitive action game, but its ability to improve on some of the blind spots of survival horror gameplay while providing some fun action and a well-paced story do make it stand out among both genres.

While the plot does bounce around the timeline a bit much for my taste and the horror isn’t particularly scary most of the time, it’s still an incredibly unique game that manages to gracefully meld many great ideas that normally wouldn’t go together at all. For all of this, it’s definitely one hell of a game.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Love this game. Possibly my favorite in the horror genre.

The story is lovecraftian horror done right and the split across multiple characters and times really adds some variety and tension (not knowing if your character will make it).

Plus the sanity system and the way the game plays you is so damn good. It doesn't just play the character, it actually sets out to play the player and couple of them really do a good job of utilizing the surround sound and system to pull it off.

Astral Dog

For me its the atmosphere and characters, ED is a very strange world and the way 3 parallel universes work in the game is simply brilliant, it was always exciting to play as a new character and see his/her story told across the timeline, very special game and a shame it never got a sequel, but i heard some the main writter got arrested years ago 😳

at least this still can be appreciated.

Man this game brings back some many great memories. I remember freaking out with the "save deleting" sanity trick but the one that really got me good was the one when the game lowered your tv volume. I remember getting up and looking out of my window thinking some idiot with an universal remote control was messing with my tv. This game had so many great ideas. A masterpiece for sure.

johntown

Banned
It is everything, the atmosphere, the mystery, the music and the unexpected. It is everything a horror game should be. IMO the original Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil formula for horror games is the best and that is what this game follows.

Moogle11

Banned
Atmosphere was great, story was interesting, liked the combat better than the RE games at the time. I rarely replay games and I played through this back-to-back-to-back to get the full ending.

The insanity system was the one let down as it was little more than mildly amusing at times.

K' Dash

Who doesn't love Cosmic Horror in games? I remember looking everywhere for this a few months after it came out until I found it in a small shop in a mall faaaaaaaaaaaar away from home.

Loved every second of it, a lot of the insanity effects got me lol.

There was a good portion of my life where this was my favorite game of all time. I love this game. It's still in my top 10 ever. Extremely memorable gaming moments throughout each playthrough. Amazing game.

Lux R7

fantastic game, i still love it. Also i didn't know about Lovecraft back then, and revisiting this game after i became a huge fan of his work and cosmic horror in general was great.

Been a long time since I played it. But I remember that it had one of the best narratives I had experienced in a game at that time.

Null Persp

Great game, I've played it for the first time a few years ago.
The atmosphere is top notch, I still remember the ambient music and sounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom