• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Made Burnout 3: Takedown One Hell of a Game?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Burnout 3: Takedown had a lot going on under the hood, but it was perhaps its presentation - its general vibe - that set it apart at least in an overarching sense. When most racing games were trying to be ultra sophisticated and mature, Burnout 3: Takedown went all in on attitude and style - and it worked.

Everything from the soundtrack to the visual presentation of the menu screens oozed with Burnout attitude, and it was a breath of fresh air for anybody coming from Ridge Racer Type 4 or Gran Turismo 3. While many arcade racing games of today will claim to have Burnout as an inspiration, and that's always a good thing to see as new arcade Racers are always welcome in my book, there's no denying that Burnout 3: Takedown is still the game that did this sort of thing best. The only way to really build on this game is with a remake that stays true to what the game is, and hopefully we’ll see something to that effect one day.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The sense of speed together with the aggressive nature of the races was just something else.
Crash mode was also always a really cool diversion. And the soundtrack was pretty entertaining.

Aaaand sparks galore! :messenger_beaming:

TheAssist

This game has defined my taste in music (together with SSX3)

Its just such a blast to play. They even made it so that crashing doesnt ruin the fun with stuff like after touch and blowing yourself up. Its a relentless, endless, constant barrage of fun that never lets up.

Fuck "real" cars. Just give me some made up "european hatch back" or "american muscle" and let me crash it to bits. I hope the new CPU's in this generation will enable defs to finally get back to making car crashing an actual gameplay feature.

Also I liked Paradise a lot. Sue me.

TwiztidElf

The definition of right place, right time.
The game is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not great. Why? All the wall grinding.
And it really was a breath of fresh air. It set a new standard for Michael Bay OTT style action in racing games.

Last edited:

Diddy X

The vibe, the feeling, just like every game if you nail the FEEL it's automatically a great game no need for graphics or anything.

Back in 2007 COD4 had that, the 60fps and fluid rythm are what made it better than other games at that time, it just felt great to play, addictive, it didn't have the best graphics or the most complex mechanics it just FELT good to play it.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Takedown was like an ultra flashy version of burnout 2 which was amazing at the time and the music was really good mix. However the tracks in revenge were leagues better even if the “back shunt” was a stupid added feature.

have paradise installed on my series S but have never played it. Maybe I should do that this week...

Last edited:

manfestival

I have always told people that this was my favorite racing game of all time. Glad to see that it still looks solid and that it isn't all nostalgia speaking

The soundtrack was half of the game for me, too good.

B3 was such a massive jump in production levels that was stunning. It was like going from AA to AAA level.

Thanati

It was just plain fun. A great arcade racer, awesome modes and crazy action. I still play this more than any other racer to this day.

I only played Legends and Dominator, Legends in particular was fantastic. The music was awesome and beating the shit out of other cars was fun as hell. One of the best PSP games imo.

Kuranghi

I only played Legends and Dominator, Legends in particular was fantastic. The music was awesome and beating the shit out of other cars was fun as hell. One of the best PSP games imo.

Please play Burnout 3 and Revenge as soon as possible, don't play out of order though.

Kuranghi

Takedown was like an ultra flashy version of burnout 2 which was amazing at the time and the music was really good mix. However the tracks in revenge were leagues better even if the “back shunt” was a stupid added feature.

have paradise installed on my series S but have never played it. Maybe I should do that this week...

I have a 360 thats basically just for Revenge and nothing else, I played B3 on OG Xbox back in the day but haven't in years and even though I have the disc here I never get around to it I think its because I havent gold all gold on every level on Revenge and want to do that first lol, might never happen.

You think the tracks are better in Revenge than 3? How do you rate the Crash mode in 3 vs. Revenge?

Kuranghi

The definition of right place, right time.
The game is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not great. Why? All the wall grinding.
And it really was a breath of fresh air. It set a new standard for Michael Bay OTT style action in racing games.

What? Optimally you are supposed to power slide round the corners surely, if you grind round every corner you'll end up touching a jutting out piece of geometry which could cause you to crash and on the later levels that probably means you can't finish first anymore or you won't make the gold time.

I guess if you mean just passing each stage that would work most of the time, but not going for Gold in these games is missing the point to me.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I hope they remaster this one and Revenge at some point in the future. They were great games.

Big focus on gameplay, great soundtrack and sound fx, pretty good graphics... That's what made the game great.

wipeout364

I really liked it at the time. I think it’s one of those titles that people are a little overly nostalgic about but it was great for what it was. I think it’s limited vision really played to its strengths which was seen in the bloat that was in Burnout Paradise which in my opinion took away from the core burnout experience.

bender

What time is it?
I still don't like the idea of traffic checking which is why B2 is my favorite.

I really liked it at the time. I think it’s one of those titles that people are a little overly nostalgic about but it was great for what it was. I think it’s limited vision really played to its strengths which was seen in the bloat that was in Burnout Paradise which in my opinion took away from the core burnout experience.

I'll always prefer closed circuit tracks to open world racers. The crash mode in Paradise was a joke.

Last edited:

HarryKS

That moment when YOUR song kicks in and you start playing better.

For me, it was This Fire by Franz Ferdinand.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I still don't like the idea of traffic checking which is why B2 is my favorite.

I'll always prefer closed circuit tracks to open world racers. The crash mode in Paradise was a joke.
As much as I enjoyed Paradise, I didn’t figure out that there was a crash mode until at least 20 hours in. I think it was an accident when I did, too

Top Bottom