• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of appeal do you think a new Metroid Prime would have in current times?

Marty-McFly

Banned
Metroid Prime is largely considered one of the greatest games of all time and it sold fairly well at the time of its release (3 million), but it didn't set the world on fire. In fact, Halo and its all out action was the much more popular alternative at the time and largely contributed to a sea of action oriented fps that would later flood the market. Yet, despite the litany of f2p and multiplayer shooters that are rampant in the current day, there seems to be a unquenchable thirst to have the Metroid Prime formula retold.

The question remains, how large is the demographic that craves this sort of experience?

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I would like to think that people have evolved their minds enough to realize the superior gaming experience that a new Metroid Prime will provide. :messenger_fire:

However, this is 2021 where people constantly fight over the dumbest things you could ever possibly imagine. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

6a072fb59c947aa942c66d4a11e38e73.gif

Last edited:

e0n

Around ~3-4 million at least for Dread and 5-6 for Prime 4. There's some barrier to entry for Metroid games since it's never been something you would share and talk about with friends.

Last edited:

RCU005

IMO Metroid Prime 4 hype will depend on the success of Dread. Is evident that people want a new Metroid, and if Dread sells well and it's critically acclaimed, most fans will be hyped for Metroid Prime 4.

I was recently thinking that Nintendo has a great opportunity to bring back this franchise and turn it into a main Nintendo IP. Dread has been hyped a lot and is definitely going to sell much more than any other game in the franchise. This is a great opportunity to reboot Metroid (with a new story -assuming Dread finishes current story) and they can even have two styles like they do with Zelda and Mario (3D and 2D). They can make new 2D games and switch between 3rd person and 1st person for 3D Metroid.

Speaking about Metroid Prime specifically, I think it will be a success, assuming the story and the game is good, but Metroid would benefit a lot if it had graphic power. Metroid it's stuck in 360 level graphics, and just look at games like Halo (even with the fluke of Infinite reveal). It would also be super awesome to have a VR Metroid, but that will never happen, sadly.

Aldric

The question remains, how large is the demographic that craves this sort of experience?
How are we supposed to know that? The only thing we can say is that Switch has at least two advantages over the systems previous Metroid Prime games were released on: it has a much bigger install base than the Gamecube (and it'll have an even bigger one when MP4 is finally out) and the Switch audience is much less casual oriented than the Wii's. If the game reviews well I think it can easily be a sales success but it's never going to be a BotW level hit of course.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I don't know but I would play it if it's like Prime 1 and Prime 2. Did not like the shift in focus to shooting in Prime 3

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Metroid is one of the many faces of Nintendo. I bet people who don’t exactly like Metroid, buy Metroid. Metroid is a keyword in any gaming outlet, so it draws in a crowd. Some of the very same people who bought Metroid 1-3 will get it. You also have people who only keep an eye out on what’s popular and Metroid Prime is like a “must have game” if you consider what gets released on the Switch. Anyone who owns a Switch and follows a gaming clique will purchase Metroid because it’s going to be a big game for that console. Sure, it’s not stupid easy and as popular as say Animal Crossing to casual gamers, but it’s up there. It’s not going to shatter records like The Legend of Zelda, but it’s close to the top in terms of popularity. The Metroid brand sells because Retro sells, classic Nintendo retro sells. Super Metroid and Metroid II are games you hear a lot about and Metroid Prime is basically right up there in terms nostalgia at this point. People who buy Metroid Prime 4 will be a mix of everything if you ask me. I bet you Samus is a lot more popular than Kirby at this point.

1. People who played the series before
2. People who don’t have anything else to play and this will be the flavor of the week when it comes out.
3. People who play because it’s a classic Nintendo IP and Metroid is a household name if you’re a fan of Nintendo

Kamina

Golden Boy
Gameplay wise it would appeal, but i agree with people here that woke media would push for something like “why blonde white woman”?

Ezquimacore

Banned
There's 0 game like Metroid Prime out there and the first Metroid prime game is more modern than your typical fps game, that's enough appeal. It won't sell like cod or battlefield, but 3m-5m is a win for the franchise.

Gifmaker

If only there was a way to find out.

Like releasing an all-new installment of the Metroid Prime series. One taking place after MP3. You could even put the subsequent number in the game's title.

If only.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It depends what Nintendo make it. If they keep it similar to the original trilogy, expect 5-10m sales. If they get competent with their online offering and make it a compelling online FPS, maybe as high as 15m.

Marty-McFly

Banned
If only there was a way to find out.

Like releasing an all-new installment of the Metroid Prime series. One taking place after MP3. You could even put the subsequent number in the game's title.

If only.
Should we fire up the Delorean? We're going to need some plutonium though so let me know if you have a source.:pie_raybans:

nowhat

I haven't touched my Switch in months. Would buy a new Prime day one. Not really feeling it for Dread.

There’s a niche of “3D Metroidvanias” that is largely untapped in the market, but most casual audiences don’t even know what a Metroidvania is. Jedi Fallen Order is about the closest thing to a real 3D Metroidvania to come out in recent times and it could be argued that it would’ve sold well regardless of genre since it has “Star Wars” in the name.

Before that Dark Souls 1 with it’s interconnected level design is the last notable 3D Metroidvania I can think of, and that was sold more on its difficulty than anything else. Among gamers Metroidvanias are pretty popular and there’s plenty of 2D/indie ones to choose from, so wanting a 3D one for variety may be enough to make it appeal to many dedicated gamers. I just don’t see Metroid/Metroidvanias having extensive casual/mainstream appeal. If anything it may sell a bit better than most Metroids by virtue of being on Switch.

Last edited:

Zannegan

There’s a niche of “3D Metroidvanias” that is largely untapped in the market, but most casual audiences don’t even know what a Metroidvania is. Jedi Fallen Order is about the closest thing to a real 3D Metroidvania to come out in recent times and it could be argued that it would’ve sold well regardless of genre since it has “Star Wars” in the name.

Before that Dark Souls 1 with it’s interconnected level design is the last notable 3D Metroidvania I can think of, and that was sold more on its difficulty than anything else. Among gamers Metroidvanias are pretty popular and there’s plenty of 2D/indie ones to choose from, so wanting a 3D one for variety may be enough to make it appeal to many dedicated gamers. I just don’t see Metroid/Metroidvanias having extensive casual/mainstream appeal. If anything it may sell a bit better than most Metroids by virtue of being on Switch.
All Souls games are more or less Metroidvanias, no? The key difference, so far as I can judge, is that Souls games don't have set powerups to let you past a certain kind of obstacle, but they all have the vast, interconnected maps.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In the past seven or eight years there have been many popular first person games that were not as action-oriented as a traditional entry in <BIG SHOOTER FRANCHISE>. So I think it would do well. Besides, any major Metroid game will sell on the Switch - if games like Luigi's Mansion 3, Super Mario U Deluxe, and Ringfit can sale around ten million units, so could a new Metroid Prime.

All Souls games are more or less Metroidvanias, no? The key difference, so far as I can judge, is that Souls games don't have set powerups to let you past a certain kind of obstacle, but they all have the vast, interconnected maps.
DaS1 has a much more Metroidvania style map where main areas loop back and intercept with one another through. I believe it also has the most amount of progression/areas blocked off by various keys/conditions.

Demon’s and DaS2 have a main hub area that branches off to multiple, mostly self contained, paths. It’s kinda like Mega Man progression.

BloodBorne, DaS3, and Sekiro are more linear, with most areas leading into the next with a few branching paths. I’m guessing that they went more linear with the newer games because they had to compensate for time spent on the higher detail game assets. Which, with Elden Ring being larger and more open, explains why it took a bit longer to make.

It might not be as recent but Control is way more Metroid than Fallen Order
Ah I haven’t played it, but I had forgot hearing about that it was Metroidvania like.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I wouldn't mind a reboot for metroid prime hunters.. that game on the ds was legit quake style speeds on high level skill DM matches.

a modern take on metroid pvp quake style? Yes plox

Ceadeus

It would probably do better than MP3 which sold 1.4M worldwide. There's yet to be a good FPS on the switch. So if they can manage a very good marketing campain + adding meaty online multiplayer , it should do very well.

It has been far too long since the last Metroid Prime game

Tschumi

They would have to update the controls a bit but the gameplay is ageless... It is the slightest bit samey though, i think they would be well served by introducing (shock horror) open world mechanics or something

K.N.W.

Started playing Metroid Prime last sunday, and I kept thinking "This is so good, it might sell a lot even nowadays". They need to just update the controls (its single stick layout didn't work properly even back then), and its rewarding exploration is going to shine by itself. They can add a few more instances of physics and destructability so it looks a bit more current gen and call it a day.

I don't know if it's a game for the masses: the scarcity of dialogues and the all-to-discover lore are more suited towards Zelda and Souls fans, but if they were to make it an Hardcore game for Hardcore players, and market it as such, the few milions interested would surely bite.

supernova8

Banned
Well it has to be a good game in its own right. I don't think it will sell well enough just by riding the Metroid name (because I doubt that many people properly know about Metroid like they do about Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon etc (not technically a Nintendo franchise but close enough at this point). Metroid Dread looks fine but I mean it's just another 2.5D side scrolling shooter in 2021/2022 unless they innovate.

Last edited:
You need get on this
Tbh I’ve never been able to fully get into Remedy’s games. Alan Wake is good, but the gameplay gets stale halfway through. Same thing with Quantum Break. They both have interesting game concepts that don’t really get fleshed out enough to carry it through the whole game. Mostly just finished them for the story. I think sometime they should try something other than a Third Person shooter.

I will get to Control eventually though.

Fredrik

I’m a big Metroid fan but I can’t see any scenario where it’ll impress on the current Switch, it’ll be played by fans but it has never been a big seller so I hope it comes out on their next console, as a super impressive launch game, UE5, RT, 60fps.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Puzzle based, single player games are less popular today than they were 15 years ago. Metroid Prime would fare worse in todays market.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hard question. I don't understand why Metroid isn't more popular.. to tell you the truth.

Maybe it's poor marketing. Maybe it's the idea that it isn't a real FPS. All I know is I had tons of fun with most of them.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The clearly don’t have I idea because the game is in development hell.
No it isn't.
Retro Studios has been making it for like 3 years now after Nintendo was not happy with the previous dev.
On the Retro Studios website job vacancies, it looks like MP4 is well into development and it even looks like Retro are about to start work on a new project.

Top Bottom