• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your wishlist for Mario Kart 9 and do you think it will be available on Switch or its successor?

I've been playing the Mario Kart games since its inception on the Super Nintendo and it's always been interesting to see the direction Nintendo takes with the franchise with every new entry, similar to a new Super Mario, for example. Apart from the fun (but equally menacing) gameplay, another aspect of the games that I really enjoy is the music. As I type this, I'm listening to the soundtrack for Mario Kart 7 and I'm only now realizing without the sound effects and character dialogue that it's really good. I must have put hundreds of hours into the 3DS entry years ago and I just have to say this is absolutely one of Nintendo's best franchises.

Anyways, let's talk about Mario Kart 9. This will likely be the next mainline entry in the series unless Nintendo develop Mario Kart Tour 2. What are your expectations? Are you one of those people holding out for the cooperative racer mechanic from Double Dash!! to return in a new entry? What about Birdo Birdo ? And do you think Mario Kart 9 will be available on Switch or its successor (Switch 2)?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I know this isn’t the most productive thing to add to this conversation, but I’d just like to have a Mario Kart 9 at this point. The last game released over five years ago, and around four if we include the DLC.

That’s a really long time for a franchise that was making appearances every two or three years (2003, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014), and if Nintendo decides that around 17 million units sold, and still rapidly going, for a port is not something to be messed with, we might not see it for closer to ten, with the new system.

Tour, although a handling abomination, makes me realize how much I miss new Kart. I hope Switch sees it’s own installment.

Last edited:
Number one thing on my wishlist is a proper battle more right off the bat. I don't feel like waiting years and having to get a whole new system just to have a proper battle mode. Fuckin Nintendo man.

I think they have a story/adventure mode in the new Sonic racing game but from what little I've seen of it doesn't look very interesting. Maybe one day they will make a proper sequel to Sega & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I also think Nintendo is on the right track with Battle Mode which they fixed from the original Mario Kart 8 to Deluxe but they can always further expand on it (increase from 8 to 10 or 12 total arena tracks) and more than one new mode. Because there's only one Mario Kart game per platform there should be an abundance of content that keeps the game fresh to play.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Different take: I don’t want the developers spending time on anything but making the tracks and core gameplay as good as they can be.

I agree with the need for more progression and depth in single-player modes, but I think that can be accomplished in a number of ways besides just ripping off Diddy Kong Racing with Mario driving around a world, and calling it a day.

We could look to how racing sims, or even games like F-Zero GX and Smash Melee handle long-term rewards and progression, with interesting things to do and earn, for example.

Another course of action is changing up the modes, and giving the player different kinds of gameplay. Imagine a mode centered around Double Dash- style Karts, for example, or the challenges of Mario Kart DS. I know that’s spectacularly creatively bereft on the examples, but just to give an idea of how things could be changed up.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a tough act to follow. It's the biggest and best Mario Kart. The next one would need "more" of everything. More karts, more tracks, more racers, otherwise why move on from MK8D? It's not like I bought any of the previous MK games because of the hang-glider mechanics or the underwater parts or the anti-grav sections. No gimmick could make me move on from MK8.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cash in on open world if you're Nintendo, obvious its more realistic graphics, if you're Nintendo you have to do a better job in that department always, its easy when you have a family friendly character in Mario and I hate that excuse.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I want more of everything, and new stuff! I really hope we'll see it on the Switch, even though I doubt it. I still play MK8 a lot, but let's just say it's not as exciting now as the first hundred hours...

And Goomba as a playable character, please!

I agree with the need for more progression and depth in single-player modes, but I think that can be accomplished in a number of ways besides just ripping off Diddy Kong Racing with Mario driving around a world, and calling it a day.

I don't think people are expecting 1:1 ripping off DKR, but more the same sense of presence in a world and sense of discovery. I mean, that's the same thing that SM64 also gave with its outside hub. If anything Mario was always more fit for that type of design than the DKR, because of how much expanded lore and genre representation there's been in the Mario universe. A Mario Kart story mode has much more potential in term of storytelling and humor. Also, the story mode could function as means of collecting more customizations, which could be supported by a greater customization system. Would even support a Track Editor and Kart Editor being implemented, with one being able to unlock things to use there.

I was also thinking like you did about changing things up, Double Dash style, but honestly I don't want them to mess too much with the driving.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a tough act to follow. It's the biggest and best Mario Kart. The next one would need "more" of everything. More karts, more tracks, more racers, otherwise why move on from MK8D? It's not like I bought any of the previous MK games because of the hang-glider mechanics or the underwater parts or the anti-grav sections. No gimmick could make me move on from MK8.

When confronted with this situation, Nintendo usually:

-Upheaves the entire franchise with a massive change. Known as pulling a Wind Waker
-Goes all in on trying to make an ultimate sequel. Known as a Twilight Princess
-Just cancels the series. Known as an F-Zero GX

Jokes aside, : P , it should be interesting how Nintendo tackles this situation. The fact that Mario Kart 8 has been going so long, also only adds to its legacy.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't think people are expecting 1:1 ripping off DKR, but more the same sense of presence in a world and sense of discovery. I mean, that's the same thing that SM64 also gave with its outside hub. If anything Mario was always more fit for that type of design than the DKR, because of how much expanded lore and genre representation there's been in the Mario universe. A Mario Kart story mode has much more potential in term of storytelling and humor. Also, the story mode could function as means of collecting more customizations, which could be supported by a greater customization system. Would even support a Track Editor and Kart Editor being implemented, with one being able to unlock things to use there.

I was also thinking like you did about changing things up, Double Dash style, but honestly I don't want them to mess too much with the driving.

I just kind of wonder if the novelty of driving around in an open world has worn off? It’s been a long time since DKR — and just about everything has that kind of open world before you get to the action.

My memory of DKR is fuzzy, but was there actually meaningful gameplay happening in that world? Or were we all ‘oohed and aahed’ over just having a connected world outside of the action?

That’s a legit question, I don’t know.

I just kind of wonder if the novelty of driving around in an open world has worn off? It’s been a long time since DKR — and just about everything has that kind of open world before you get to the action.

My memory of DKR is fuzzy, but was there actually meaningful gameplay happening in that world? Or were we all ‘oohed and aahed’ over just having a connected world outside of the action?

That’s a legit question, I don’t know.

Sounds like a good case for a RTTP, because I can't remember the specifics either. But I'm pretty sure there were things to discover, a couple of races and stuff like that. But I view only DKR as a prototype for what can be, not as necessarily the best example on how to implement it.

Rocket League Strikerz mode

Reminds me of Street Racer on SNES/PS1, a Mario Kart clone with a soccer mode. Damn I loved that game.

Fbh

- A story/adventure mode or some other game mode designed to expand the single player experience
- More stuff from other Nintendo franchises: I really liked the F-Zero and Zelda themed tracks in MK8 so I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. Maybe don't turn it into a straight up super smash racing but have 1 track from every cup be themed after some other Nintendo franchise.
- A better online multiplayer mode: Have a proper ranked mode, make it easier to set up parties to play with friends , etc.

I really hope we get one on Switch. Would be disappointing to go through a whole Nintendo gen with no actual new Mario Kart. 8 Deluxe is great but beyond the battle mode it's a pretty strightforward port of the WiiU game

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Mario Kart on mobile is doing very well, beside the fact it's not too great of a game.

They need to re-invent Mario Kart imo. Just re-using the same formula and adding to it won't do the job for me. I already have a ton of games from the series..

bitbydeath

More Battle modes:
-Duck Shoot (Wacky Wheels)
-Zones (Warhawk)
-Elimination

Upgrades in normal races:
-Like in Super Mario Bros where you start small and grow larger, turn into furries, turn into a hitman (white outfit w/gun).
-more unlockable characters, I’m unlocking a lot of vehicles, wheels and glider things but not so much characters.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Less powerup autism
Make it a Nintendo AllStars

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
You've stolen F-Zero tracks and turned the Blue Falcon into a kart yet you won't put in Captain Falcon himself?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no reason to release it on Switch. It has sold millions and millions. It is still selling.

Just make it great on the next system. Main thing I want is a better character roster of Nintendo IPs from non-Mario games, not lame Koopa Kids. Pretty much everything else is already almost perfect.

I also think MK8's OST is too jazz heavy, and I'd like more electronic music.

20cent

Banned
Adventure mode
More diverse road characteristics/physics
Chase HQ mode
Drifts challenges

I dunno, something new since MK64

cryptoadam

Banned
MK 9 will be MK Ultimate.

I see it launching between 2020-2021 to go against next gen and give the Switch a big last hurrah.

Basically all tracks and racers from all MK games. I would also add a 16 bit mode like in Sonic-Mario Olympics.

Add in battle mode too.

Course creator.

Then there would be DLC that would be 3rd party racers with a track and music, just like Smash.

Throw in a few new tracks/racers and recycle some of the old gimmicks.

Re Release on Switch 2 in 2022/23 with Deluxe version.

cireza

Banned
I stopped with Double Dash, which is still the best in my opinion. I did play a bit of Mario Kart 8 but it became way too casual for me. Double Dash offered real opportunities to dodge attacks, which Mario Kart 8 does not. Also gameplay with two players in one kart was pure awesomeness.

Last edited:

emmerrei

They already wasted their opportunity to release a new Mario Kart recycling Mario Kart 8 from the Wii U. I still don't have a Switch, but i've already play'd MK8 on the WiiU and if i'm going to get a Switch, Mario Kart 8 is the last game i want to buy.
If it happen to get a new game for the Switch, people here above already said what i wanted to. Copy Diddy Kong Racing. Or drop the name Mario Kart, to create a "Mario Racing" game, including kart, planes and hovercrafts. Then create a good Adventure mode, and that's it. Basically do a sequel of Diddy Kong Racing, i would buy that day one.

I stopped with Double Dash, which is still the best in my opinion. I did play a bit of Mario Kart 8 but it became way too casual for me. Double Dash offered real opportunities to dodge attacks, which Mario Kart 8 does not. Also gameplay with two players in one kart was pure awesomeness.
Lol. Wrong!

Tevious

I'd rather they do something different this time and make a "Super Smash Kart" game with characters and levels based on multiple IPs. It'd be the next evolution of what they did with the MK8 DLC. Whatever they do, having an adventure/story mode and more effort put into battle modes would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Weirdly, I kind of want a sim-ier take on it next time around. Not a real simulation, but it would be nice if they played around with cartoony physics to freshen things up, Ice should be slippery, driving in deserts should kick up dust clouds, and item hits should have more varried effects, instead of having each one do the same spin-out, stop, lose three coins dance.

It would be cool if, for example, hitting a banana sent you sliding in the direction yoi were already going with no traction for a few seconds (and if heavier characters had more momentum). I'd also like turtle shells to get lodged under whatever wheel they hit, taking away traction and your ability to hop for a bit (one tire is survivable, but a dead-center shot basically turns your back wheels into air-hockey pucks). You could add a harpoon-like item or repurpose the piranna plant.

Basically, I want them to crack it open a bit and give the player some agency like they did with BotW, paving the way for emergent, player-directed gameplay moments. Give us physics plus a slightly bigger hop, able to leap over bananas and even turtle shells if you time it right, and all the sudden the possibilities are wide open.

The best part would be that by changing up the driving with cartoony physics would make old tracks fresh again without having to redesign them for zero gravity or whatever. Just one game with a bit more depth and player control, and I swear we cab go pack to pure whack-a-mole in the sequels and I won't say a thing. lol

As the cherry on top, a Mario Maker-esque track item/hazard editor mode would work really well with the whole physics thing. I wouldn't do a full on track editor like LBP racers though or it would take forever to load... like LBP racers. Just custom tracks and arenas, so the hardcore can finally ditch items and go 1v1 on Baby Park as Miyamoto intended.

EDIT: I apologize fir the wall-o-text. Apparently I have some very strong feelongs about Mario Kart that I never knew. lol

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
- Bring back the mission mode from Mario Kart DS
- Make it possible to turn off items in single player modes (because they make the hunt for three stars downright infuriating)
- Make it faster

No need for next MK for a while (it's still selling great), better for N to make make new Exite game, F-Zero, WaveRace or Kirby AirRide and to 'innovate' in those franchises than to potentially damage MK with gimmicks and oversaturation.

clem84

Gold Member
MK8 is selling exceptionally well on Switch so there's really no reason for them to put it out on Switch is there? However if they'd be smart, they would release it on Switch toward the end of its lifecycle, and a definitive edition on its successor. ka-ching!

BitDust

Mario Kart 9 will probably be out by 2020/21 with Switch continuing his life cycle for a very long time thanks to more powerful revisions . This time I don't think we will see the Switch successor before 2024, like Nintendo said the Switch "platform" will last 7-10 years. Speaking about Mario Kart 9 I hope to see some concepts/mechanics coming back from Double Dash, that was one of the best MK I have ever played.

I doubt we'll see MK9 on Switch. If we see another Nintendo racer it's going to be F-Zero GX Definitive Edition.

F-Zero GX @ 90FPS!!!

source.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Weirdly, I kind of want a sim-ier take on it next time around. Not a real simulation, but it would be nice if they played around with cartoony physics to freshen things up, Ice should be slippery, driving in deserts should kick up dust clouds, and item hits should have more varried effects, instead of having each one do the same spin-out, stop, lose three coins dance.

It would be cool if, for example, hitting a banana sent you sliding in the direction yoi were already going with no traction for a few seconds (and if heavier characters had more momentum). I'd also like turtle shells to get lodged under whatever wheel they hit, taking away traction and your ability to hop for a bit (one tire is survivable, but a dead-center shot basically turns your back wheels into air-hockey pucks). You could add a harpoon-like item or repurpose the piranna plant.

Basically, I want them to crack it open a bit and give the player some agency like they did with BotW, paving the way for emergent, player-directed gameplay moments. Give us physics plus a slightly bigger hop, able to leap over bananas and even turtle shells if you time it right, and all the sudden the possibilities are wide open.

The best part would be that by changing up the driving with cartoony physics would make old tracks fresh again without having to redesign them for zero gravity or whatever. Just one game with a bit more depth and player control, and I swear we cab go pack to pure whack-a-mole in the sequels and I won't say a thing. lol

As the cherry on top, a Mario Maker-esque track item/hazard editor mode would work really well with the whole physics thing. I wouldn't do a full on track editor like LBP racers though or it would take forever to load... like LBP racers. Just custom tracks and arenas, so the hardcore can finally ditch items and go 1v1 on Baby Park as Miyamoto intended.

EDIT: I apologize fir the wall-o-text. Apparently I have some very strong feelongs about Mario Kart that I never knew. lol

Hahaha. That was a good post, although I also write a lot, so maybe we’re just both wall-o-text‘ers. 😋

Crazily enough, as you probably know, Mario Kart started out more like what you’re describing on the handling. I’ve been playing bits and pieces of that since the SNES Classic, and with the NSO thing, and ice and dirt totally change the way the karts control. Plus the the focus on brutally hard, but so satisfying cornering.

I kind of think what you’re describing is what Mario Kart should be a little more, and what it’s gotten away from, in favor of item-o-rama. MK8 was an improvement, with heavy, solid-feeling karts, but I think it can go further. Make Mario Kart more about racing again, and push the items back a little.

(Btw, those ice and dirt levels absolutely piss me off, : P, but presumably with all these years of advancement, we can get a better solution)

I also love the idea of changing up the items. You’re right. We’re stuck in the SNES era on a lot of these, and a rethink could be exactly the hook Nintendo needs for a sequel to a modern classic.

Top Bottom